PDA

View Full Version : Dusting???

RebeccaG
May 10th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I have heard the mysterious art of end dusting mentioned a few times but am having trouble finding out what it is. Is there any lovely LHC phd out there that can explain!:)

Chetanlaiho
May 10th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Well I'm no LHC phd ;) but by dusting people ussually mean S&D, now because that doesn't really help I'll try to elaborate xD Search & Destroy just means snipping off individual split ends with a pair of quality hair scissors.

But what confuses me is that I think the term dusting was originally used for microtrims since the hair that falls to the floor with microtrimming, looks like dust :/

RebeccaG
May 10th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Well I'm no LHC phd ;) but by dusting people ussually mean S&D, now because that doesn't really help I'll try to elaborate xD Search & Destroy just means snipping off individual split ends with a pair of quality hair scissors.

But what confuses me is that I think the term dusting was originally used for microtrims since the hair that falls to the floor with microtrimming, looks like dust :/

And there was me thinking it was going to be something involving herbs and a pestle and morter :confused:!!! Thanks for the explanation it all makes sense now!

MonaLisa
May 10th, 2011, 05:02 AM

I think dusting = MICROtrims :) and S&D = S&D...

but I'm far from LHC phd :o

Mesmerise
May 10th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I'm no PhD either ;) but dusting means microtrimming your hair... so taking 1-2mm (don't know what that is in inches lol.. probably like 1/16 or 1/8" or something) or so off the ends of your hair rather than a regular trim which might be 1-2cm (1/2 to 1" or so).

Phexlyn
May 10th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I'm no PhD either ;) but dusting means microtrimming your hair... so taking 1-2mm (don't know what that is in inches lol.. probably like 1/16 or 1/8" or something) or so off the ends of your hair rather than a regular trim which might be 1-2cm (1/2 to 1" or so).
This. It's called dusting because what you take off is so little that the hair on the floor looks like dust. (like Chetanlaiho said) :D

jojo
May 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Dusting refers to when you micro trim or trim very minimal amounts to even your hemline or get rid of splits in the end of hair, we refer to it as dusting because your only trimming say this much off ---> _ and when its trimmed off it resembles dust not a pile of hair!

S&Ding refers to trimming individual split ends off, to save you from getting a hair cut and stands for searching (for splits) and destroy (snipping their heads off!)

hope that helps!

krissykins
May 10th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Well, I'm working on my PhD, but as the other PhD holders have beaten me to the punch! Dusting is indeed a teeny tiny trim (aka microtrim). Here's an article that has a method of dusting without losing length: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146