PDA

View Full Version : Gogirlanime's Hair Lightening Journey

gogirlanime
May 10th, 2011, 12:58 AM
GOGIRLANIME'S HAIR-LIGHTENING JOURNEY

So I've learned a lot of different things since joining here a month ago and thank you to all who have helped me. I thought I'd start a thread on my hair-lightening journey :)

Every 5 treatments (which will take me between 2-5 days for every 5) I will post another picture to show you how much lighter my hair has gotten. I plan on doing about 60-90 treatments to get my hair light enough to dye it a bright red with henna. My hair has been fried so many times that I refuse to do peroxide/lemon/bleach/etc on it ever again!

Lightening Timeline

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/honey_timeline_compair_02.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/honey_timeline_04.jpg

This is the color I am trying to get it to:
http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2011/01/Light_Brown_Long_Curly_Hair_65173.jpg

So I can dye it this color:
http://www.marieclaire.com/cm/marieclaire/images/mcx-reni-lane-copper-red-de-8001217.jpg

Begin to Now
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/honey_0_treatments.jpg http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/honey_now_02.jpg

All pics
These are all taken indoors with flash
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/honey_0_10_treatments.gif

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/honey_15_20_treatments.gif

What I do:

-Mix 18 tablespoons water, 3 tablespoons SueBee Premium Clover Honey, and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon in a blender.
-Let it sit for an hour blending it every 10 minutes
-Blend one more time well before applying
-Rinse my hair with apple cider vinegar to ensure that the mixture is getting on my hair and not my hair residue
-Dunk my hair in the mixture and gently squeeze out the excess mixture, then apply the rest to my scalp and top of my head
-Rinse any that is around my face or neck
-Seran/plastic wrap my hair and bun it to seal in the moisture
-Let it sit for an hour and rinse with cold water
-Condition my hair to keep it moisturized

I do this 1-2 times a day

vanity_acefake
May 10th, 2011, 01:08 AM
There is definately a difference. Your hair looks so shiny.
I admire your patience.
:)

gogirlanime
May 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM
There is definately a difference. Your hair looks so shiny.
I admire your patience.
:)
Awwww thanks, I wouldn't call it patience, I'd just call it being mad, I've always been a little obsessive/overly determined since I was little haha

Sundial
May 10th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Just a thought though, by the time you reach 60 honey treatments your ends would have gone through 60 and will be light but what about the roots??

jojo
May 10th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Looks lovely. I am trying to lighten my hendigo head with honey, ive done 4 treatments and mine is now redder; I think the indigo is fading (it was anyway but just quicker). I am wanting to fade mine as my dark blonde roots are coming through with some silvers, I have natural copper streaks so it blends nicely. I haven't tried with cinnamon yet but will get some when I go shopping.

Just out of curiosity, once you have got as light as you want to dye the red (lovely colour BTW) are you going to continue to lighten the roots or is your natural colour light?

gogirlanime
May 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM
The color I am trying to lighten it to is my natural color, my roots are that color, a light brown. I'm being careful not to get my roots so when I dye it red it will be an even spread. But if I had dark roots I probably wouldn't even bother trying to attempt this haha. Thanks

Druid of Alba
May 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Awwww thanks, I wouldn't call it patience, I'd just call it being mad, I've always been a little obsessive/overly determined since I was little haha

Are you a Scorpio? :p

And, there is definately a slight difference, keep it up. You could also try lemon and cinnamon, and of course just sunlight, for natural lightening. Cinnamon adds subtle reddish tones, though.

Anje
May 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM
The difference is pretty noticeable already.

Have you considered using more honey in your mix? The reason I ask is that jojo has gotten substantially lighter using a 2:1 honey:conditioner ratio. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=70682)

christine1989
May 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM
It is definatly getting lighter! I've seen some seriously impressive results with honey lightening here on LHC so keep up the good work! :)

vanillabones
May 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I will love watching your journey :) It made me consider one day doing this myself until people have mentioned the roots thing - der, I'm silly. My natural color is about what you're trying to get back to as yours, as well :p

The progress is definitely noticeable.

gogirlanime
May 10th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Are you a Scorpio?

And, there is definately a slight difference, keep it up. You could also try lemon and cinnamon, and of course just sunlight, for natural lightening. Cinnamon adds subtle reddish tones, though.

No but I was in love with one for 3 years, he gave me some of the confidence to be who I am today. I've just always been a determined girl. I'm a Gemini in the Sun and a Leo in the Moon. That's good for me about Cinnamon adding red since I'm planning on making my hair red with henna after this anyways.

The difference is pretty noticeable already.

Have you considered using more honey in your mix? The reason I ask is that jojo has gotten substantially lighter using a 2:1 honey:conditioner ratio.

Really? I'll have to try that thank you. For now I'm gonna stick with what I'm doing because I can't afford financially to use any more honey than what I am now. I used a whole $7.50 container to do just those 5 treatments. When I get some more income coming in I'll have to try out that ratio

Blackfire
May 10th, 2011, 09:18 PM
this is what I want to do! only I want to dye my hair purple with manicpanic like I did in high school! lol

Does lemon really damage hair that bad??? I was thinking of trying that for highlights!

Quezie
May 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I look forward to seeing your progression! (:

I'm going to do something similar, some time, because my hair's gotten a tad bit darker than I like due to henna, I think.

Are you using distilled water, or just regular water by the way?

gogirlanime
May 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I look forward to seeing your progression! (:

I'm going to do something similar, some time, because my hair's gotten a tad bit darker than I like due to henna, I think.

Are you using distilled water, or just regular water by the way?

I'm using tap water because I forgot to get some distilled water. I'm going to get some the next chance I get (I'm very busy everyday plus no car, so whatever I buy I must bus it home)

einna
May 11th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Interesting thread =) I will follow.
And also.. I think that just boiling some water and let it cool down, will work as well..?

gogirlanime
May 13th, 2011, 10:48 AM
From the pics there doesn't seem to be much of a difference these past 5 treatments but in person and in the sunlight you can tell. It looks also like it is getting more red than lighter this time. I'm not giving up, I know I can get it the color I need to get it at with some patience and hard work :) Thanks to all who have become interested in following my journey :D

Springlets
May 13th, 2011, 01:44 PM
It looks also like it is getting more red than lighter this time.

That's probably consistent with color change: black-> red-> brown-> orange-> blonde. It'll be in the red stage for awhile before it starts going to brown. But I'm excited for the journey!

gogirlanime
May 14th, 2011, 02:25 PM
That's probably consistent with color change: black-> red-> brown-> orange-> blonde. It'll be in the red stage for awhile before it starts going to brown. But I'm excited for the journey!
Aaaaaah that makes total sense, I see what's going on. Also, I hear cinnamon has a slight red-ening effect on the hair so that could be it too. But I'm still going, I've got treatment #12 in my hair as we speak :) Thanks for the support

Firefox7275
May 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM
If your hair is naturally lighter, is there are reason you are not using Color Oops or similar?

lacefrost
May 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Thank you for sharing your journey with us! I'm subscribing! :flower:

gogirlanime
May 16th, 2011, 12:32 AM
It seems to be doing the trick, like mentioned earlier (thank you) it's going to get more red first than lighter especially since I dyed it a red before I dyed it a brown so that original red is going to linger for awhile. It looks like it's getting lighter and more red, slooooooowly but surely :) I'm really happy with the results. Between treatment 5 and 10 it didn't seem like it was doing much, but when I compare treatment 5 with 15 and 10 with 15 I can see a difference :)

gogirlanime
May 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Once again there isn't much of a difference, this time I think it's less red, so perhaps it's beginning to go into the blonde era now where it's slowly going to blonde instead of red. I'm going to be adding more honey from now on and more cinnamon to kick it up a notch, also I've got sun here in Seattle now so I'm considering doing a few lemon treatments too. Just as long as I'm not frying my hair with bleach or peroxide (except for the natural kind I'm doing) I'm good

jojo
May 22nd, 2011, 05:28 PM
I havent done this for a week but mine did go lighter as in more red but it appears to have darkened back a shade. But nevertheless it is more red but I will be trying this again.

spike316
May 29th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Have you tried using raw honey? I've read that it has a higher peroxide value and (not to sound like I'm advertising for this particular site because I haven't actually personally tried them) this site has raw honey that you can get 2lbs of it for 17 bucks... not bad compared to what you were paying for it at the store. ^_^

spike316
May 29th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Oh and I can't edit my posts yet, but they also have free shipping on that listing!

gogirlanime
May 31st, 2011, 03:31 PM
Thank you for the info on the honey, unfortunately I am not going to be using honey and cinnamon anymore, I am not seeing enough results to continue. The past 20 treatments I have not seen a single difference (maybe MINUTE) in the tone of my hair. So I am going to be doing lemon with sun bleaching next.

Sorry to all that I haven't updated recently, I've been very busy. I have my 25 treatments pictures almost ready.

NouvelleNymphe2
June 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Gogirlanime, thank you very much for posting your results and details of your treatments. I, recently, have decided I want my natural hair color (mousy grey brown w/ lighter pieces throughout). Here are two pics of coloration. The first two are my natural hair color. The second two are post henna and cassia mixes. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7185&pictureid=102550) I have been using light henna mixes, glosses, cassia, and one full on 2 step henndigo treatment so I'm a bit darker than my original color, especially the lighter pieces. My roots match the first two pics above. Your thread is very helpful to me. I have done 2 honey+EVOO+cinnamon treatments and have seen some progress, but I'm not as diligent as you are.

One thing I would like to share with you, perhaps you might find it useful. Have you read Marika's post regarding lemon rinses? If not you can CLICK HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745&highlight=Lemon+Rinse) if you're interested. I only ask because it is summer, and I have been using them for about two weeks. I use a very diluted solution (suggested in the thread). I spritz it on after a shower and after my wet hair has air dried a bit. I leave it in throughout the day. I walk to school, the library, run errands. I don't lay out, but I am out and about, and I think it is having a nice lightening effect (coupled with the honey+EVOO+cinnamon). I should also mention that if my hair is feeling a bit dry (in the evening or during the day) I will put in a very good leave in (Beauty Without Cruelty Revitalizing Leave-in Conditioner (http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Without-Cruelty-Conditioner-Revitalize/dp/B0009ET4RM/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp)). It really is a high quality/amazing product. I use a SLEW of organic products, and this is the only one I have found so far that I want to keep as routine staple.

So back to my original point :o, the lemon rinses have been very helpful regarding both my condition and color goals. My hair is shinier and has more volume. I started with very healthy hair, though, and my dilution of the lemon rinse is strong. And I use a quality moisturizing leave-in. I keep repeating these things because I have read many many horror stories regarding lemon juice. How drying it is, and how it can ruin/severely damage hair. And I myself stopped using it when I hennad because it was very drying. However, the way I am using it currently is helping to lighten my hair. And, though, it is drying it out somewhat my hair is healthy enough to take it. And I have to say the shine and volume are a bonus to the slow lightening. I know that my hair cuticle is starting to stand up a bit (dry a bit), but I keep treating my hair very good (moisture, oils, avocado treatment, mix of good products, no heat tools, etc) and this is working for me. So I thought I would share it with you. I will pop back in every now and again once I have some progress pictures of my own. Yours are great *subscribes with email alerts* :)!

gogirlanime
December 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I'm going to start this up again as a New Years resolution!! I won't be dying my hair red with henna until after April 8th (I am dressing up as a character with brown hair and I need my roots to be brown, it's Chun-Li by the way)

Not dying it will allow you all to see the results much better :) Realistically I am aiming to do a honey treatment every 3 days making it 10 a month. I will update every month the color. I have too much on my plate to do it more often. Depending on how much time I have I might do a few more. I will post some pictures on January 1st of my current color.

jacqueline101
December 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I never knew you could lighten your hair with cinnamon or honey. I heard lemon juice will lighten hair.

beachgirlla
December 27th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Last Tuesday I hennaed my hair for the first time, my hair is medium to dark brown and was chemically dyed light brown with severe damage to the ends, anyway the henna came too orange at the ends with very reddish tone, I knew I have to wait to let oxidize but by the 3rd day I was very inpatient, I started doing the honey (manuka honey), I did 3 treatments, one every day and I did notice that the henna orange/red calmed down, I'm not sure this was that the henna was finally oxidized or that was because of the honey, LOL, but for sure i saw some calming to the fiery orange at the 3rd treatment, I loved the effect as I looooved what the henna did for my hair, I guess no amount of cassia can do what henna do, too bad as the repeated henna will give so coppery or auburn/wine color that I don't like :(, may be the honey is somehow a solution to tune down the redness in henna so we can get more of the good effects of henna?, I will keep following your progress and will update you on mine, may be sometimes soon we can discover something :)

StPaulaGirl
January 28th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I'm brand-new to the site, so please forgive my newbie questions.

First, I'm amazed at how much lighter your hair looks. It looks really lovely!

I've decided to stop chemically treating my hair (my natural color is dark blonde, and I've been highlighting it/dyeing it for years), but want to keep it lighter (and possibly henna it, too, although the shade of henna I want is more coppery - think Nicole Kidman). You mentioned that your roots are naturally lighter - so if I understand it correctly, did you begin the treatments over hair dyed a darker brown? And you do the treatments every day - after you wash your hair normally? If so, what's your washing routine? I switched to shampoo bars about a month ago from sulfate shampoos, and my hair is going through an adjustment period (it feels waxy and greasy). I'm just wondering if I should wait for my hair to calm down before I try doing any honey treatments.

Thanks in advance! :)