PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Hair Fork?? (rant)

sweetestpoison
May 9th, 2011, 11:05 PM
There are quite a few beautiful hair forks i have my eye on but DBF keeps giving me snide remarks about the price. saying that 37$ is too much to spend on something that just goes in your hair, and that he can make one out of clay and it will be free. It would be neat to have a ceramic hair fork but he doesn't really know the dimensions i don't think. And i don't know if it would be too heavy. Also, what happens if it accidentally falls out of my hair? It would break! Then he said to go buy a cheap plastic one and he'll paint it :rolleyes: I don't think he understands it really... The one i want, the image is sealed in acrylic resin and is very durable, water resistant, and flexible. It is smooth and won't snag any hairs and will last for years if i take care of it. And it's not just about function. I wanted something that would adorn my hair as well. I don't wear regular jewelry, the closest thing i have to a bracelet is the hair tie i keep on my wrist in case of emergencies. So i would like something nice to spice up my outfit, even if only from the back. I see some hair forks on here that people have spent over a hundred dollars on, and with hair jewelry you really get what you pay for. Besides that, he spends his money on ridiculous junk too! Why can't i splurge on myself.. erm... my hair lol, for just this one time? Oh well. Boys just don't understand do they?

ETA: I found the thread for self made hair toys and plan to make some wooden ones soon :) . Just to be clear on this: He isn't bossing me around and telling me that i can't buy it, and i am not really as mad as i seem.. in fact this thread started as me asking whether or not ceramic would make good hair forks haha.. But it turned into just me venting out my frustration. Sorry to anybody who got the wrong idea!

Quezie
May 9th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Tell him that like you said, it's like a piece of jewelery. And if he doesn't understand that, tell him its a girl thing and that he may never understand. :P

I'm sure that you're definitely better off buying an expensive one that you will cherish and will last and not damage your hair, rather than something cheap and disposable.

Arya
May 9th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Point out the stupid stuff he has that you could have made him a crappier version of. Offer to create him stuff out of duct tape. Explain to him it's 'hair jewellery', perhaps? You don't like jewellery on your wrist/fingers/neck, but you like it in your hair, and that a 37 dollar necklace wouldn't be unreasonable!

sweetestpoison
May 9th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Point out the stupid stuff he has that you could have made him a crappier version of. Offer to create him stuff out of duct tape. Explain to him it's 'hair jewellery', perhaps? You don't like jewellery on your wrist/fingers/neck, but you like it in your hair, and that a 37 dollar necklace wouldn't be unreasonable!

That necklace comment is a wonderful counter argument! Thank you!! :cheese:

HintOfMint
May 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, if it's ceramic, how is it flexible? Someone crafty educate me!

Dark Queen
May 10th, 2011, 12:07 AM

That necklace comment is a wonderful counter argument! Thank you!! :cheese:
That is a good argument. Besides, it's your money, if you really want something the badly, I see no reason not to get it. Some people have different hobbies; long-hair people collect hair toys :D!

Kathie
May 10th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I think they're good value for money. I like to think that it would be very hard for me to lose a hair fork compared to hair elastics which I lose easily and have probably spent hundreds on over my lifetime.

sweetestpoison
May 10th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, if it's ceramic, how is it flexible? Someone crafty educate me!

sorry for the mix up, the one i want is flexible lol

Dark Queen
May 10th, 2011, 01:23 AM
sorry for the mix up, the one i want is flexible lol

Do you have a link for it? I'm curious. :)

Yosha
May 10th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Tell him that like you said, it's like a piece of jewelery. And if he doesn't understand that, tell him its a girl thing and that he may never understand. :P

I'm sure that you're definitely better off buying an expensive one that you will cherish and will last and not damage your hair, rather than something cheap and disposable.
:DI need to remember the "girl thing" argument for any occasion next time people comment on my likes!:cheese:
My first thought on your description is Rasaom, is it one of her forks?

sweetestpoison
May 10th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Do you have a link for it? I'm curious. :)

this is the one i want specifically http://www.etsy.com/listing/72664515/dragon-eye-butterfly-waterproof-double

it is double sided too! :)

:DI need to remember the "girl thing" argument for any occasion next time people comment on my likes!:cheese:
My first thought on your description is Rasaom, is it one of her forks?

Yes! that's exactly the one! Lol, i can't decide if i want the one linked above or a custom, but either way in my head they seem completely worth the money! Do you have any by her?

Dark Queen
May 10th, 2011, 01:58 AM
this is the one i want specifically http://www.etsy.com/listing/72664515/dragon-eye-butterfly-waterproof-double

:agape: That is really cool! I don't blame you for wanting it so badly :D

TakeAPotatoChip
May 10th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Do you and your BF have a joint income? If not I'd tell him to be quiet :P

boudica
May 10th, 2011, 02:15 AM
One very good argument is that good hair toys are good investments and hold their value. If you take good care of it, you can sell it for very close to what you paid for it. In that case, it becomes a $10 hair toy.

Also, you probably should start calling them hair jewelry instead of hair toys.

I find that if I have my heart set on something that's a little out of range, I find myself spending on things I don't want as much to try to compensate. If it isn't a totally stupid choice, like either this hair toy or food or rent, then I think you should go for it.

Then he can also get to see you happy.

And if he starts making awesome ceramic hair toys, I'll buy one from him.

Good luck! It's a really really beautiful item.

Yosha
May 10th, 2011, 03:35 AM

Yes! that's exactly the one! Lol, i can't decide if i want the one linked above or a custom, but either way in my head they seem completely worth the money! Do you have any by her?

Unfortunately I don't own any of her forks, but hopefully someday I will! They are beautiful and one of a kind. You picked a gorgeous fork :crush:

celebriangel
May 10th, 2011, 04:26 AM
As long as you're not short of money, what right does anyone else have to complain about what you chose to spend your non-essentials money on? I mean, maybe if you were barely making the rent...but otherwise, yeah, hair jewellery is an excellent investment. I keep misplacing my Claire's hair sticks, because I know I can get more and, well they're really good to be starting off, but I am now certain I'm committed to being a long-hair long-term, and that means (for me) a few select, beautiful pieces which will last a really long time. I am a "small collection of good-quality items" person. It is why I shop in charity shops and am learning to make my own clothes.

In the end, it's a more economical way to be.

I do not think clay would be very good for your hair at all. It would be too heavy, and probably not smooth enough, and would break if it fell out. Then he would have wasted his clay.

"Snide remarks"? I wouldn't put up with this. I would tell him firmly that you can't be having with someone making nasty comments about something which makes you happy, and that you hope he will be supportive of your endeavour - and if he can't be supportive, at least could he bit his tongue?

Perhaps I am too harsh. My own DBF made a similar comment (I could make that!) when he saw some of Nightblooming's beaded hairsticks, but that was until I explained the construction clearly; at which point he said "I still think I could make something similar. I have [list of tools, beads, etc - he has many small tools for this sort of thing because of fantasy models]" At which point I realised he really wanted to make some for me, and when I showed him a pair of intricate metalworked hair rapiers he was much happier with me buying them (because he knows it would be very difficult to make anything similar).

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. What if he actually wants to make you a hair fork, and just worded it really badly? I mean, you'd still have to explain that clay wouldn't work. But since I wasn't there I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Firefox7275
May 10th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Point out the stupid stuff he has that you could have made him a crappier version of. Offer to create him stuff out of duct tape.

This, attack is the best form of defence.

spidermom
May 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM
If it's your own money you'd be spending, I don't see that he has a vote.

I'm with celebriangel - a few well-made pieces that will last a long time are essential for long hair. They're tools, not toys.

Dark Queen
May 10th, 2011, 10:08 PM
As long as you're not short of money, what right does anyone else have to complain about what you chose to spend your non-essentials money on? I mean, maybe if you were barely making the rent...but otherwise, yeah, hair jewellery is an excellent investment. I keep misplacing my Claire's hair sticks, because I know I can get more and, well they're really good to be starting off, but I am now certain I'm committed to being a long-hair long-term, and that means (for me) a few select, beautiful pieces which will last a really long time. I am a "small collection of good-quality items" person. It is why I shop in charity shops and am learning to make my own clothes.

I do not think clay would be very good for your hair at all. It would be too heavy, and probably not smooth enough, and would break if it fell out. Then he would have wasted his clay.

"Snide remarks"? I wouldn't put up with this. I would tell him firmly that you can't be having with someone making nasty comments about something which makes you happy, and that you hope he will be supportive of your endeavour - and if he can't be supportive, at least could he bit his tongue?

Perhaps I am too harsh. My own DBF made a similar comment (I could make that!) when he saw some of Nightblooming's beaded hairsticks, but that was until I explained the construction clearly; at which point he said "I still think I could make something similar. I have[list of tools, beads, etc - he has many small tools for this sort of thing because of fantasy models]" At which point I realised he really wanted to make some for me, and when I showed him a pair of intricate metalworked hair rapiers he was much happier with me buying them (because he knows it would be very difficult to make anything similar).

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. What if he actually wants to make you a hair fork, and just worded it really badly? I mean, you'd still have to explain that clay wouldn't work. But since I wasn't there I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If it's your own money you'd be spending, I don't see that he has a vote.

I'm with celebriangel - a few well-made pieces that will last a long time are essential for long hair. They're tools, not toys.

That's very true. I know I've personally grown tired of cheapy hair clips breaking due to my hair, so why bother constantly replacing them when you can get something nice that will last. I'm gradually trying to add a few more nice, durable items to my collection too :D

sweetestpoison
May 10th, 2011, 11:21 PM

Perhaps I am too harsh. My own DBF made a similar comment (I could make that!) when he saw some of Nightblooming's beaded hairsticks, but that was until I explained the construction clearly; at which point he said "I still think I could make something similar. I have[list of tools, beads, etc - he has many small tools for this sort of thing because of fantasy models]" At which point I realised he really wanted to make some for me, and when I showed him a pair of intricate metalworked hair rapiers he was much happier with me buying them (because he knows it would be very difficult to make anything similar).

Lol after i explained about the clay he still said it would be worth a try, and that he can find a way to make a mold and i can make my own acrylic resin hair forks! I don't think that he actually really wants to make me one, he just doesn't see the point in me spending more than 15 dollars on a hair tool :rolleyes:

Laurenji
May 11th, 2011, 01:06 AM
One caution about clay--

If you read the self-made hairtoys thread (it's in the crafts and hobbies section. It's an epic read, but very useful if you plan on making your own hairtoys), it seems the consensus seems to be that ceramic, clay, sculpey, etc, is fine for toppers, but it doesn't have enough tensile strength. It can snap if you put too much pressure on it.

I haven't made any hairtoys myself, so I can't verify this. But it's just the impression I've gotten so far. You might want to try talking to squiggyflop, who is a hairtoy making expert. Either she'll know or she'll know someone who does.

The other thing to consider with clay is that it's potentially really heavy in your hair. The last thing you want is getting a headache from the weight of your hairtoy...

KatiSasha
May 11th, 2011, 07:52 AM
As a salesperson myself, here's a selling technique that has never failed:

If you buy a $37 hairtoy, you'll probably end up wearing it for the next year (being modest on the timeline.) That means that this toy will end up costing you 10 cents/day. Now ask him - is 10 cents a day worth having a happy as a clam GF?

Of course, if it's your money, the whole point is moot, just order the darn thing and start enjoying it asap. :)

lapushka
May 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Okay. He's your DBF, right? Not your fiance, nor your DH, and even then, come on... yes it's a lot for a hairtoy, but it's less than getting a hair cut and would you have to discuss that or ask permission for that? Frankly, I don't even see why you're discussing this with him. Just buy yourself the fork. :shrug:

elbow chic
May 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm married, and a housewife, and thus my husband makes all the money I spend (and if you believe certain people on the internet, this means he has ALL THE REAL POWAH! :rolleyes: )

but even he doesn't even attempt to boss me around like that.

Lianna
May 11th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Like others said, if it's your money, I don't see why not buy it. But there are forks out there that are around $10 or less.

Jean Stuart
May 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I have a question, how much $ does he spend on his "hobby"? Just wondering because my DH has 2 very expensive hobbies. Video games and magic the gathering. When he makes a stink I very calmly point out if we can not afford for me to spend forty bucks on something for me, we also can not afford sixty bucks on an x-box game or magic card. I would have no problem not getting it if that were the case.

Jean Stuart
May 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM
That fork is so cool though!!

sweetestpoison
May 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Okay. He's your DBF, right? Not your fiance, nor your DH, and even then, come on... yes it's a lot for a hairtoy, but it's less than getting a hair cut and would you have to discuss that or ask permission for that? Frankly, I don't even see why you're discussing this with him. Just buy yourself the fork. :shrug:

He is just my DBF but we live together and i am a home maker. i.e. don't work and he pays for everything. I got 200 dollars from some nude modeling i did for the art class and wanted to spend the majority of it on stuff for my hair >.> that's just the influence LHC has had on me lol.. I don't need permission to buy it, i just don't feel like listening to him say "i cant believe you spent 37 dollars on something just for your hair" :rolleyes:

I'm married, and a housewife, and thus my husband makes all the money I spend (and if you believe certain people on the internet, this means he has ALL THE REAL POWAH! :rolleyes: )

but even he doesn't even attempt to boss me around like that.

I think i gave the wrong idea, he isn't bossing me around and telling me absolutely not to buy it, he's just saying that he thinks it's a rip off.. Boys right? lol

Misti
May 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM
[quote=elbow chic;1597828]I'm married, and a housewife, and thus my husband makes all the money I spend (and if you believe certain people on the internet, this means he has ALL THE REAL POWAH! :rolleyes: ) [quote]

hey! Wait, wait, wait! I am the working spouse while my honey is home educating "caboose boy".

That means I get an extra helping of power?...10 years and I never knew!:p

sweetestpoison
May 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
One caution about clay--

If you read the self-made hairtoys thread (it's in the crafts and hobbies section. It's an epic read, but very useful if you plan on making your own hairtoys), it seems the consensus seems to be that ceramic, clay, sculpey, etc, is fine for toppers, but it doesn't have enough tensile strength. It can snap if you put too much pressure on it.

I haven't made any hairtoys myself, so I can't verify this. But it's just the impression I've gotten so far. You might want to try talking to squiggyflop, who is a hairtoy making expert. Either she'll know or she'll know someone who does.

The other thing to consider with clay is that it's potentially really heavy in your hair. The last thing you want is getting a headache from the weight of your hairtoy...

That is very useful information. I never even thought about the strength of it.. i was just more concerned with the frailty and weight XD

Dark Queen
May 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
He is just my DBF but we live together and i am a home maker. i.e. don't work and he pays for everything. I got 200 dollars from some nude modeling i did for the art class and wanted to spend the majority of it on stuff for my hair >.> that's just the influence LHC has had on me lol.. I don't need permission to buy it, i just don't feel like listening to him say "i cant believe you spent 37 dollars on something just for your hair" :rolleyes:

I think i gave the wrong idea, he isn't bossing me around and telling me absolutely not to buy it, he's just saying that he thinks it's a rip off.. Boys right? lol

True, but it is just his opinion, and you certainly earned that money on your own (May I ask, was the modeling fun?:)) so really you should feel free to do what you want with it. I understand what it's like to live with a guy who makes light of my hair obsession (I have my eye on an expensive hair toy also :D), but like the others say, he has his hobbies too. Perhaps he'll shut up if you use a little to buy him something he really likes (since you have more money than needed for the fork). :hmm::shrug:

Lianna
May 12th, 2011, 04:31 PM
...he's just saying that he thinks it's a rip off.. Boys right? lol

I'm a "girl" and still think it's a rip off. Just saying.

BrightEyes7
May 12th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Well... I think you should just get it! Tell him you bought it for cheaper. He doesn't need to know.

And may I just ask... does he have a video game console? If so, I'm assuming he buys games for said gaming console... which are $50 at the cheapest! Bring that up if it applies.

Guys spend money on pointless things too, but they only notice when girls spend it on something 'girly'. Sure it's to hold your hair up. But it's also jewlery. And it's functional. And it's an investment, because if you get a cheap one it'll break faster so you'll need to get replacements but that one is good quality so it'll last you longer... therefore saving you money! Tell him your accountant told you it's a good investment! :laugh: (I'm an accountant :p)

Lianna
May 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Maybe plastic would break faster...but it's very possible to buy wooden hair forks for less. I'm not saying she shouldn't get it, but I still think it's expensive (and so does a lot of other people). Let's not pretend it isn't.

HairStickler
May 12th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Lol after i explained about the clay he still said it would be worth a try, and that he can find a way to make a mold and i can make my own acrylic resin hair forks! I don't think that he actually really wants to make me one, he just doesn't see the point in me spending more than 15 dollars on a hair tool :rolleyes:
If he is really serious about making a mold so that you can make your own forks, that might be really fun! If he does it, you will have to post about it on the self-made hairtoys thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131).

BlueMuse
May 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Considering the fork you want is coming from etsy, it's really not a bad price. I believe RanasOm (sp?) actually hand paints all of the images that are suspended in the resin. She also had to make the mold, figure out how to reinforce the fork with metal, and do all of the finishing. I wouldn't be surprised if she's actually not making all that much on her time with the art she's doing. When you think of it that way, the fork is a really good deal.

I'm also one of those housewifey types, and my husband doesn't even flinch when I spend 50+ on a hair fork, stick, etc. As long as I have the "fun money" to cover it, I can do as I like. But considering he actually likes to build computers and he just got a shiny, super awesome new laptop, there wouldn't really be a leg to stand on if he was going to price compare hobby spending.

sweetestpoison
May 13th, 2011, 03:17 PM
(May I ask, was the modeling fun?:))

You bet your bottom it was! Lol. It was different. The people in there don't look at you as a person.. and judge you as one.. they view you as negative space and shading.. the same way they would view a chair or anything else inanimate

Maybe plastic would break faster...but it's very possible to buy wooden hair forks for less. I'm not saying she shouldn't get it, but I still think it's expensive (and so does a lot of other people). Let's not pretend it isn't.

It definitely is expensive, but it's also different. I can make a wooden hair fork with no problem. But something like this i can't do. I looked up how to make it and the equipment alone isn't worth it for making just one fork. Also it's one of those things that i looked at.. and thought.. I have to have that.. no matter what the price.. XD

Considering the fork you want is coming from etsy, it's really not a bad price. I believe RanasOm (sp?) actually hand paints all of the images that are suspended in the resin. She also had to make the mold, figure out how to reinforce the fork with metal, and do all of the finishing. I wouldn't be surprised if she's actually not making all that much on her time with the art she's doing. When you think of it that way, the fork is a really good deal.

That's a very wonderful point about it probably being in her spare time, and the effort put into figuring out how to make it. I don't think people realize that something hand made takes a while to make. A wooden hair fork can take around 5-6 hours.. seeing one for 15 dollars.. that's less than 3 dollars an hour for the craftsman before materials cost is even counted in!

elbow chic
May 13th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I'm also one of those housewifey types, and my husband doesn't even flinch when I spend 50+ on a hair fork, stick, etc. As long as I have the "fun money" to cover it, I can do as I like. But considering he actually likes to build computers and he just got a shiny, super awesome new laptop, there wouldn't really be a leg to stand on if he was going to price compare hobby spending.

That's pretty much how we are. If mine even THOUGHT about saying ANYTHING about what I spend on hair-stuff, well, let's just say there are several thousand dollars worth of home-brewery equipment in our shop (and several thousand dollars spent on HAVING that shop...)

and Bud Lite would be a good bit cheaper. :D

BlueMuse
May 13th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Oh sweet! Home brewing. Now there is a neat hobby! Sounds like your man is doing it the super right way too, rather than a bucket and mash.

One of our friends is a hobby brewer of sorts. The last beer was a mint beer that tasted like scope. It's an interesting adventure.

Peanutter
May 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I used to be a housewife, and I'd get temp work every once in a while. My ex would refer to those pay checks as "free money" or "prize money" it used to make me mad, cuz it wasn't free for me, I had to work for it! Then I let it go and figured if he thought it was "free" money, it meant I could use it on anything I wanted :) I didn't really spend that much of "my" money, but when I wanted something I could buy it without feeling guilty.

elbow chic
May 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Oh sweet! Home brewing. Now there is a neat hobby! Sounds like your man is doing it the super right way too, rather than a bucket and mash.

One of our friends is a hobby brewer of sorts. The last beer was a mint beer that tasted like scope. It's an interesting adventure.

Mint beer! There is potential there! Maybe.

DH started out way back in the day with a bucket and some syrup. I wasn't around at that point but his friends still talk about how abominable it was. (but they still drank it, of course. haha)

He's come a long way in the last twenty years or so. Though he did try an old historical recipe a few years ago that involved juniper berries and spruce tips and tasted like a bottled pine tree. Not in a pleasant way, either. eeeek.

Dark Queen
May 14th, 2011, 06:19 PM

DH started out way back in the day with a bucket and some syrup. I wasn't around at that point but his friends still talk about how abominable it was. (but they still drank it, of course. haha)

He's come a long way in the last twenty years or so. Though he did try an old historical recipe a few years ago that involved juniper berries and spruce tips and tasted like a bottled pine tree. Not in a pleasant way, either. eeeek.

Maybe add some lime or something. It sounds like it could be good if experimented with.:)

BlueMuse
May 14th, 2011, 11:19 PM

That is so cool! Our friend's first attempt was with junipers too, and it was ok, but a little like sticking a juniper branch down your throat. There have been some spectacular failures, but it's the adventure that counts! Or at least I hope so. The vanilla beer was excellent.

sweetestpoison
May 14th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I didn't know home brewing was so popular! The DBF does it too, but hasn't done it enough to feel comfortable with experimenting with ingredients like mint and lime yet... but if those do get done let me know how they turn out :eyebrows:

faerielady
May 14th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I'm a home brewer too. We shall not talk about what is aging in the storm shelter (coolest area around for aging mead & wine... a self-contained basement!) or the two types of hard ciders fermenting in the living room... I like to keep an eye on the brewing process since I've had an exploding carboy before.

Anyway. The comb is not expensive, relatively speaking. Those that think it is too expensive do not have to purchase it because you are not using their money to do so. You earned your right to buy whatever hair jewelry you feel like purchasing.

I personally wouldn't go with ceramic at all. Too many issues. Then again, I haven't purchased any combs, I'm not likely to do so anytime soon, but I have plenty of woodworking equipment at my disposal since my boyfriend has that hobby.

naereid
May 15th, 2011, 02:18 AM

WOW, I think I need to finally start buying things from etsy. :thud: Thanks for the link, those forks are gorgeous!

Schefflera
May 15th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Gyaaah!

--Maybe it's just because I'm up way too late, but when I finally clicked the link, it kind of startled me. *g* Very impressive and vivid.

That's all, really.