PDA

View Full Version : Wavy Hair Question

AuburnTresses
May 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I found out that my hair has more wave than I thought, but when I don't brush it it tends to get some knots and look... blah. :confused:
So how do you wavy people keep your hair looking pretty and shiny without knots if you don't use a brush? (P.S. I use a Denman.)

racrane
May 9th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Personally, I comb in the shower while I have conditioner in it and let it air dry. I don't touch my hair and it dries all bouncy waves with no need to brush or comb it. The second day I do need to comb it but I do it lightly and it still is nice. This is what I do and I've found it works for me.

AuburnTresses
May 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

MonaLisa
May 9th, 2011, 04:15 PM
also you can comb it before washing, to avoid damaging it by wet combing. then just try not to get tangles while washing :)

Lianna
May 9th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I comb after washing, and finger comb as it dries so it doesn't tangle.

Dry combing/brushing will brake my hairs for sure (if tangled). I do use a BBB after sometimes but mainly for styling, and never on tangled hair.

Most often wavies and curlies have more damage when they let their hair dry while tangled.

Dina L.
May 9th, 2011, 04:31 PM
My waves are gone if I comb my hair, so I try not to touch it after washing it - till day 2 or 3. Last time I comb is right before washing my hair. Maybe ACV rinse also helps not to get tangles.

Cowgirl16
May 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I use a wide tooth comb after the shower and comb it very little (if any) while it air dries. I never use a brush.

spidermom
May 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I comb/brush before I wash it, and everybody I've asked prefers the look of my hair if I don't do anything else to it. It dries kind of ropey-looking.

I don't comb until I'm ready to put it up. And I don't brush until I'm ready to wash.

A lot of times, what looks good is a matter of one's own opinion. I always thought my hair looked better after I combed it, but nobody agreed.

Jules diamond
May 9th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I finger comb a lot...and use ACV rinses twice a week. And I love me some cones. x3

AuburnTresses
May 9th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the input! I'll give it a whirl.

ooo
May 9th, 2011, 05:01 PM
When I wear my hair wavy or curly I don't comb or brush at all. I just wash relatively often.

Audrey Horne
May 10th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I started to put my hair in the bun. I can't let it 'hang' and dry... Because it will look like ropes, really meh. I hope my hair will develop a better wave pattern as it grows...

chelles2kids
May 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
A wide tooth comb will become your friend.;)

After I get out of the shower I detangle with my wide tooth comb and then I usually don't touch it again till the next morning...then I do a 'light' combing.
I've found if I comb it too much, even with a wide tooth comb it becomes a frizzy mess...lol

chelles2kids
May 10th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I started to put my hair in the bun. I can't let it 'hang' and dry... Because it will look like ropes, really meh. I hope my hair will develop a better wave pattern as it grows...

Me either...mine has a tendency to "grow"...it gets bushier the dryer it gets...lol.

I've found that wet bunning helps to form my waves much better. ;)

AuburnTresses
May 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I tried combing with a wide tooth comb while my hair was wet and it worked better. I'll have to try a damp bun, but my hair takes a long time to dry when it's left down I have no idea how long it would take if it was in a bun...

Audrey Horne
May 11th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Me either...mine has a tendency to "grow"...it gets bushier the dryer it gets...lol.

I've found that wet bunning helps to form my waves much better. ;)
Oh yeah! And all these tiny baby hairs and what not. I don't enjoy looking like a bush haha I hate my ends especially, they stick out like tree branches. So a bun solves a problem at the moment AND my hair doesn't look so ropey too :-P

Signe
May 11th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I brush before the shower, but if I need to brush for some reason during the day I will follow it by misting my hair a bit and scrunching it slightly to bring back the wave pattern

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
I use my BBB to detangle my hair before I shower, and sometimes my plastic brush to massage my scalp too. The key is to detangle before you take a shower. Make sure you brush your hair so that is is lying flat on your head all smooth when you are done brushing.Then, to prevent tangles in the shower, only wash the roots, and do not pile your hair on top of your head to wash it. To rinse, have your back facing the shower head and rinse your hair clean, do not flip your head over.

Once your hair is dry, it could still have some tangles, and I get those out with my fingers or lightly/gently using my BBB. Putting some jojoba oil and then putting your hair into two rope braids really helps as well.

Xandergrammy
July 3rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
I comb/brush before I wash it, and everybody I've asked prefers the look of my hair if I don't do anything else to it. It dries kind of ropey-looking.

I don't comb until I'm ready to put it up. And I don't brush until I'm ready to wash.

A lot of times, what looks good is a matter of one's own opinion. I always thought my hair looked better after I combed it, but nobody agreed.

What spidermom said!

LunaMoon
July 4th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I comb my wet hair. I also brush after going to bed.
My hair don't lose waves since I am COing. Before I had to mist with water in the morning.

Dr. Girlfriend
July 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
My hair is wurly and brushing is a big nono for my hair.
I comb mine very gently while conditioning in the shower, then I plop it in a big T shirt and leave it alone for a while, then let it air dry. I'll finger comb when it's dry.

Using satin pillow cases have drastically cut down on tangles for me, I usually wake up tangle free. If I have to comb, I use a widetooth wooden comb, although I have the white Madora in transit to my house.

Basically, I try to mess with it as little as possible until it's dry, makes a difference for me.

Persephone94
July 5th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I comb my hair or detangle it with my fingers. The oil I mix into my diluted shampoo does the rest. ;)

MissAlida
July 5th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I comb it with a wide tooth comb when still wet ( very very gently), I let it air dry, then comb it again to break up the curls, then apply 2 drops of olive oil on my palms and work that into hair.:DReults: shiny waves.

IndigoAsh
July 5th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Knots for me personally are kind of unavoidable for the most part. Somehow. But, I always do a thorough brushing before my shower and don't brush it or anything until I'm going to bun it. I also let my hair air dry.

UP Lisa
July 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I lose wave if I comb after washing, but if I don't, I have more tangles.