PDA

View Full Version : My hairdresser said I was taking care of my hair wrong

allnaturalboy
May 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
When asked, I described to her how I was taking care of my hair and she told me I was doing it all wrong. She said I was using way too much shampoo and that I should only use a dime or nickel size amount. If need be, just lather up 2 or 3 times to get it clean! I'm wondering why some hairdressers say this? It seems really time consuming. She also said you don't really need conditioner unless your hair is past chin and when it is, only condition past that point. My hair ends up looking a lot better lathering only once, but with more shampoo and less time. Maybe it was just my shampoo or my water but I tried this and could never get a lather or I would, but it would be extremely minimal. I'm going to stick to what I was doing before! Does anyone actually do this and why?

nazzooyzo
May 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
i don't agree that you should condition hair after its past chin length as i have this length and need to condition a lot!

KatiSasha
May 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
It is amazing to me how much hairdressers love to lump everyone into one hairtype, especially since they see so many different types of hair every day! My hairdresser told me that i could never get away with just CO washing b/c of my oily scalp, but I can now skip a few days between washes.

Handle your hair in a way that makes it feel best, IMHO. I used to live in ATX and the water there is pretty hard. ACV rinses were true lifesavers for me. Also, make sure that your shampoo doesn't have cones in it. If it does, the buildup will make it harder to lather as well.

racrane
May 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I generally do what works for my hair. I ignore others' advice pretty often, actually.

Anje
May 9th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Well, it's generally true that you don't want to use a lot of shampoo. A dime or nickel seems like very little, but a silver dollar amount is probably plenty. Diluting it helps if you want to use smaller amounts. Foam isn't really necessary for cleansing, but I think that a little bit is a good indication that sufficient shampoo was used to dissolve all the gunk you're trying to remove.

Are you using sulfate shampoos, or natural (perhaps soap-based) ones? Sulfate ones tend to foam more and aren't dependent on water quality. Non-sulfate shampoos are pretty variable on cleansing power, depending on how hard your water is, and you'd definitely need more with hard water.

I'd totally ignore the stylist on conditioner. Use what you need, where you need it.

celebriangel
May 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Grr. Well, considering the number of time I've seen stylists do distinctly UN-hair-friendly (ripping at wet hair with a fine-tooth comb?)...I wouldn't trust their advice at all. I mean, they give the same advice to everyone in my experience, yet here at LHC, so many different routines and methods are used; most of which work brilliantly for some and are dreadful for others! If one size fit all, we would definitely be doing that; but even the wonderful SMT has people who just don't get on with it.

Please condition your hair. If you don't, it might dry out or get tangled and break, and if it doesn't do those I imagine the friction cause by the lack of slip will begin to wear away the cuticle, and you won't notice till a few years down the line.

If you're using a harsh shampoo, I would say try not to use too much; if you want the same lather while using less, put some in a bottle, add about half again in water, shake, and pour. Ir you're using a Sodium Laureth Sulphate shampoo, or a sulphate-free shampoo, I wouldn't worry too much. I *really* wouldn't lather more than once unless I were trying to get PVA glue out of my hair or something. The surfactants in most shampoo are very strong.

To be honest, if the routine you're doing is cleansing your hair, and you experience no dryness, I'd say it's fine. Only if your hair is greasy or dry would I consider changing it. My hair was *so* dry and frizzy when I used to lather it twice, and normally my hair is oily! It also made the oiliness worse over time.

gogirlanime
May 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
That's terrible, just keep doing what you are doing!! Hairdressers are always trying to get me to buy all kinds of mooses and waxes for my hair because it can get frizzy, but it's so fragile and I know that will cause a lot of build-up. I'm fine using my Dr. Bronner's castile soap for my shampoo and some all-natural conditioner, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and honey with cinnamon for lightening. Natural is better for your hair, you, and the environment!

HairColoredHair
May 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I can't imagine how much my hair (and scalp) would protest if I lathered three times.

WaitingSoLong
May 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I generally do what works for my hair. I ignore others' advice pretty often, actually.

When asked, I described to her how I was taking care of my hair and she told me I was doing it all wrong. She said I was using way too much shampoo and that I should only use a dime or nickel size amount. If need be, just lather up 2 or 3 times to get it clean! I'm wondering why some hairdressers say this? It seems really time consuming. She also said you don't really need conditioner unless your hair is past chin and when it is, only condition past that point. My hair ends up looking a lot better lathering only once, but with more shampoo and less time. Maybe it was just my shampoo or my water but I tried this and could never get a lather or I would, but it would be extremely minimal. I'm going to stick to what I was doing before! Does anyone actually do this and why?

The lathering issue could be your shampoo or your water. But you don't need lather to clean your hair. It just feels like we do. Some people only use conditioner and no poo and there is no lather with conditioner. You can see my hair length and I use a silver dollar sized puddle in my hand for all of my hair. Everyone's hair is different and stylist criticise my methods all the time after telling me how healthy my hair is :rolleyes:.

If you and your hair are happy...do whatever you want!! The worst you have to lose is $ on excessive shampoo.

selderon
May 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM
If your hair likes what you're doing, keep doing it. To be absolutely certain, try it the other way a few times.

You might save some money on shampoo by diluting it with water. I find it spreads better and I use less that way. Try this a couple times. If it works for you, hooray! If not, forget it. Don't worry about the lather. Lather itself doesn't clean the hair. Judge by how clean your hair feels. (Incidentally, do you have hard water? That can make lather difficult.)

Some hair needs less conditioning than other hair. I didn't think my hair was at all dry until I tried oil treatments and it turned into super-glossy silk. Try with less conditioner a few times and see if that's the right direction.

RitaPG
May 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Every head of hair is different. And every shampoo is different. If your hair looks better with your current routine, don't bother to listen to your hairdresser and keep on doing it :)

vanillabones
May 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Almost none of my hair is past chin-length and I use conditioner, a fair amount too. So that's a whole lot of :liar: I think that rule can only apply for men. My stylist wouldn't dare not to use conditioner on my hair. It would be disgusting if I didn't use conditioner! Wth!

vaughner
May 9th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Ugh, don't listen to her. That makes me mad when someone tries to give you advice for your hair. They don't know what your hair needs. Only you know what works and what doesn't, so if you feel like your regimen is working, then just keep doing what you're doing. :)

christine1989
May 9th, 2011, 01:52 PM
She makes a good point that less shampoo can be be better for hair health and it will help your hair stay clean looking longer if you only condition the lower part. These are generalizations though and she seems to think that what is good for one hair type is good for all hairtypes. If what you are doing with your hair is working well then just keep doing it. :)

rogue_psyche
May 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
How much shampoo you use depends on your hair and your shampoo. Put conditioner wherever it is needed.

I use a shampoo with a weak detergents near the end of the ingredients list and I find I need a half dollar amount to get my roots, and than a nickel for the scalp above my nape and a nickel for other half of my scalp. If I decide my length needs a wash (which it rarely does because conditioner is cleansing) I just gently work the foam downwards.

Now it can certainly be said that I use a lot of conditioner. If I could pick on hair product to never have to pay for again, it would be a good conditioner.

alwayssmiling
May 9th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I do agree with her regarding shampoo and tbh hair dressers often wash twice which for me seems really unnecessary. If someone has long hair they would often condition from ears down to avoid greasiness on the scalp - but I need to condition all my hair including my fringe as I have canopy frizz. It took me 18months of experimenting with different routines and products to find something what worked (and i'm still tweaking it). If I went back to my old hair dresser and told her what I do to my hair now she would faint, but i finally have healthy hair so who cares! Just because someone gives you advice you don't have to act upon it - do what you know works.

torrilin
May 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I use around a nickel sized puddle of clarifying shampoo. I dilute it with water and lather it up in my hands, then smooth the lather into my scalp and scrub my scalp with the pads of my fingers the way a lot of CO guides suggest.

My hair gets rinsed with dilute apple cider vinegar.

Then I use between 2 peas and a quarter's worth of conditioner as a leave-in (most conditioners can be used as leave-in conditioners). The exact amount depends on which conditioner I'm using and the way my hair feels, but it goes on ALL my hair. Yep, you really can coat waist length hair with 2 peas worth of conditioner, if it is the right conditioner.

My last conditioner was Alba Botanicals leave-in conditioner, and that let me use pretty small quantities. It is fairly pricey by drugstore standards, but lasts a *long* time with this routine. I'm experimenting with an Herbal Essences one with silicones, and it takes a good bit more conditioner to get nice results. I also suspect the fragrance is causing a bit of itching. I have some other conditioners to use up, but odds are once that's done I'll go back to the Alba Botanicals.

Pretty much every hairdresser I've used has suggested different techniques and different products. They often don't even agree with each other on my hair type. The only universal is that my hair is very fine. Even when I'm dealing with hairdressers who use the same salon product line... they STILL don't agree on what products will work for me.

I end up ignoring them and sticking with what works. Simple shampoo and a conditioner that suits my hair as a leave in has worked for decades. The vinegar rinse is new, but it's worked nicely for a couple months now, and I don't want to give it up.

annieangel149
May 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM
peeps are right saying everyones hair is different! My hair hates shampoo. I can go without shampooing for 7-10 days. I wash my hair with water and chuck leave in conditioner on the ends every other day! it has taken me a good year to finally discover a regimen that works for me

hs_atreides
May 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I've read that the lather in shampoo has nothing to do with the cleansing ability of a shampoo-it's put into shampoos for the satisfaction of seeing suds. However, if you use enough to wash your scalp but see no suds, you're still getting clean and likely do not need to wash anymore. Lack of suds means there was enough oil/dirt/grime/product that kept it from lathering. It's still likely to be clean hair.
I agree with everyone about what's right with your scalp and hair is right for you. I wish that hairstylists would look into haircare and products with a more skeptical eye.

tgagurl27
May 10th, 2011, 04:41 AM
just do what works best for you.. no one nows your hair like yourself.. jst smile and nod nd play a little song in ur head till she/he stops talking haha

Mesmerise
May 10th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Whaaa? Well I almost agreed when she said you only need to use a small amount of shampoo BUT I stopped agreeing when she said you may have to wash 2 to 3 times! LOL! Doing that you'd probably use the same amount of shampoo anyway, and do more mechanical damage to your hair!

I agree less shampoo is sometimes more (you can always dilute it to get a better spread through your hair), but don't worry about too much "lather"... you don't actually need lather to clean your hair (as all the CO washers will tell you).

I see no problem using conditioner at any length, especially after you've shampooed. Some people find they can't put it on their scalp, but others don't have a problem with it. I think if your hair looks and feels better after a condition, you should do it.

baaaad_kitty
May 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Some hairdressers give crazy advice. Ignore them all! I had a hairdresser once tell me I HAD TO put in some gunk in my hair or it wouldn't look nice. This was the same one who insisted on styling my hair using razors and blow frying.

Some will try to push products on you because they need to meet a quota, and I think that's just plain wrong. If a customer doesn't want something, they will make up some lies and try to get you to buy unwanted products

Condition your hair if you feel your hair needs it

Annie Fulton
May 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I won't say your hairdresser was wrong, but they always seem to forget that everyone's hair is different. You and only you know what works for your hair, so if whatever your doing is working, then I would say keep on rocking it.

Lianna
May 10th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Everyone wants to say a little about a routine that isn't theirs. You'll find that here too. Some won't even try to believe you. Truth is nobody understands fully how another person's hair (and head) is.

I wash my hair with shampoo that suds everyday and that's the best for me (for several reasons I won't get into).

We say we are "accepting" but what's all this talk about you don't need this or that? Some people do need certain things, it's not your head, you don't know how ALL heads/circunstances, people need different things.

allnaturalboy
May 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I pretty much just went back to what I was doing. I switch back between sls free and sodium laureth sulfate shampoos. I like to use sls free but no where near here sells them so when I run out I have to use regular shampoos until I can go to Whole Foods. I know and agree that suds are not needed to clean your hair. However, I have oily hair and without suds sometimes it is hard to tell if my hair is clean or not. Typically, I just shampoo my scalp really well and then condition all over. Conditioner on my roots doesn't seem to have any negative effects. I've done it for as long as I can remember so I just continue doing that.

lapushka
May 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I pretty much just went back to what I was doing.

Good for you! Just continue to do what you're comfortable with doing, and most importantly of all: don't worry so much about it. You could try some of the tips that were given, some other routines, just to see if it has an even better (or possibly worse) effect on your hair. Everyone who comes here probably does at least a little experimenting, but it's certainly not obligatory, and neither is listening to your hair dresser. ;)

Jean Stuart
May 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Your hairdresser sure is opinionated. It sure is nice that we have a forum that can give us perspective and we can glean from a vast wealth of knowledge and not have to take one persons word for it. (supposed expert)

There is saying about opinions. Also just because you have an opinion does not mean anybody needs or wants to hear it.

aspartame gram
May 12th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Definitely agree with everyone that's told you to continue doing what makes your hair feel best. I think that, unfortunately, the mentality they teach at beautician school isn't necessarily the healthiest. It seems like they're trained to cosmetically "cover" problem issues instead of finding healthier, natural alternatives.

Also, the comment about razor cutting - omfg, I so regret that I let this stylist do that to me. The layers flip around everywhere and it's uber annoying. :(

kwaniesiam
May 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM
The "repeat" portion of lathering instructions is usually aimed towards people that use a lot of hairspray and other product. It can take several washings to fully remove all of the residue.

I always told my clients that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Do what works for you. Sometimes you can be given good suggestions though so don't automatically discount everything said.

Peanutter
May 13th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I once told my hairdresser I didn't really fix my chin length hair and she asked, "well, do you at least blowdry it?" When I said no, her eyebrows shot up and she looked worried.
She made it sound like blowdrying was a good thing to do, like if I had told any of you that I didn't condition my hair. weird

Ermine
May 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Seriously?? Sure everyone's hair is different, but this defies common sense for the most part. I understand that less shampoo is more but washing a couple times with a small amount of shampoo? That would tangle my hair like not other... I'm better off using a lot of shampoo in one go. Anything to keep from tangling my hair too much. And even though I have short fine hair (the last person a typical stylist would recommend conditioner to), I already use a small amount of conditioner for the sake of detangling and healthier ends.

Blond On Blond
May 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM
My hairdresser does CO, oils her hair and actually was the person who told me about LHC :D Some of her advice was very useful, some was not. Until you try, you never will know what works best for you.

I use tons of conditioners as leave-ins, and often they contain cones, so I do have to lather at least twice while clarifying to get rid of the gunk. For some strange reason, a one time application of a larger amount of shampoo doesn't do the trick. The advice you got about shampooing may be accurate - use the smallest amount of shampoo, then wash again if necessary. If it doesn't work for you, do what works for you. Any hair-washing "method", no matter how genius, is useless without a good effect.

squiggyflop
May 14th, 2011, 07:44 AM
hmmm well, have you tried diluting the shampoo with water? thats how i get my lather going, i shake up the bottle before i apply it sometimes for instant lather.. i love my prelathered shampoo

as for conditioner. if your hair needs it, it needs it. i do think its true that when hair gets longer than chin your should only apply conditioner from the ears down, but this is more of an issue with not getting it on the scalp (could cause clogged pores and make the scalp itchy, or cause breakouts).. but if your hair needs conditioner before you get to chin then thats just what it needs, still though i cringe at the possibility of getting it on the scalp.. unless its one of the approved CO conditioners (they wash clean without leaving gunk on the scalp)

also you might be needing that conditioner because you are using too much shampoo.. just food for thought. you arent going to stop seeking fluffy lather any more than i am, but you should know its a possibility.

have you thought of a 2 in 1 shampoo? i LOVE these (i put on conditioner from the ears down afterward though).. i love them because the lather is always so FLUFFTASTIC!

Athena's Owl
May 14th, 2011, 11:23 AM
It honestly depends on your hair. you might be able to use less shampoo, though, and I think you should try diluting your shampoo to see if you can still get good results.

I see that you've got 1b hair, so you might be able to do with only a little conditioner. experiment a bit and see!

allnaturalboy
May 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM
hmmm well, have you tried diluting the shampoo with water? thats how i get my lather going, i shake up the bottle before i apply it sometimes for instant lather.. i love my prelathered shampoo

as for conditioner. if your hair needs it, it needs it. i do think its true that when hair gets longer than chin your should only apply conditioner from the ears down, but this is more of an issue with not getting it on the scalp (could cause clogged pores and make the scalp itchy, or cause breakouts).. but if your hair needs conditioner before you get to chin then thats just what it needs, still though i cringe at the possibility of getting it on the scalp.. unless its one of the approved CO conditioners (they wash clean without leaving gunk on the scalp)

also you might be needing that conditioner because you are using too much shampoo.. just food for thought. you arent going to stop seeking fluffy lather any more than i am, but you should know its a possibility.

have you thought of a 2 in 1 shampoo? i LOVE these (i put on conditioner from the ears down afterward though).. i love them because the lather is always so FLUFFTASTIC!

Does shampoo for dry or damaged hair count as a 2 in 1? Like Suave Shea and Almond or Garnier Sleek and Shine? If so, then yes. :P

So, basically, from what you are saying, short hair does not need conditioner. Let's just for the hell of it say, you had hair above your ears, maybe eyebrow length. You would not use conditioner at all?

My hair is chin right now and I use maybe a silver dollar size amount of conditioner all over. I'm going to experiment a bit and see if I can change that. Maybe by diluting shampoo. I've never tried just shampooing, to be honest. I can feel when my hair is wet in the shower, that it is extremely tangled after shampooing. I can't really run my fingers through it. I don't pile my hair on my head, but it is still tangled. I imagine it might really hard to detangle after showers. How do you do it?

selderon
May 15th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Does shampoo for dry or damaged hair count as a 2 in 1? Like Suave Shea and Almond or Garnier Sleek and Shine? If so, then yes. :P
I'm going to bet squiggyflop refers to formulations that are meant to cleanse and condition in one step.

So, basically, from what you are saying, short hair does not need conditioner. Let's just for the hell of it say, you had hair above your ears, maybe eyebrow length. You would not use conditioner at all?
No, squiggyflop is describing HER routine.

My hair is chin right now and I use maybe a silver dollar size amount of conditioner all over. I'm going to experiment a bit and see if I can change that. Maybe by diluting shampoo. I've never tried just shampooing, to be honest. I can feel when my hair is wet in the shower, that it is extremely tangled after shampooing. I can't really run my fingers through it. I don't pile my hair on my head, but it is still tangled. I imagine it might really hard to detangle after showers. How do you do it?
If you don't already, try combing your fingers through your hair to cleanse it rather than scrubbing. I find I get just as clean with this method and it results in far fewer tangles.

squiggyflop
May 15th, 2011, 04:49 PM

no those dont count. they dont have as much moisture as a 2 in 1. 2 in ones are also much more creamy feeling (luxuriously so). they say 2 in 1 on the label, i LOVE the ones sold for children. they are sooooo creamy fluffy.

no. no. no.:) what i was saying was that MY short hair didnt need conditioner.no if my hair was all eyebrow length i wouldnt use conditioner at all. you see i have a lot of natural oils. some people do, some people dont. if you dont, and by your explanation it seems that you dont have enough natural oils, then yes YOU may need conditioner when i do not when i had short hair.. if you are going to put conditioner on your scalp you should check out the CO thread for good conditioners that wont cause your scalp problems. plus a lot of the CO ones are better for frizz than many of the others that arent good to put on a scalp.

as ive said, your hair likely needs the conditioner. i suggest that you try a combination of a 2 in 1 and some of the CO approved conditioners. the 2/1 will help detangle before you put in the conditioner, and then the CO approved conditioner will help with frizz..

well when your hair gets longer like mine you will have adapted i promise you. how i do it (which isnt what everyone does) is that i comb out my hair really well before my shower/bath, then after i finger comb in my shampoo and rinse it out, i put on conditioner (from the ears down) and i use a seamless shower detangling comb very very very gently to comb in the conditioner to get it really well distributed, then i twist it and put it up and keep the conditioner in my hair for like 5 minutes while i scrub the rest of myself. then i rinse out the conditioner, under running water behind me (never flip your head it causes tangles).. i finger comb it, then i braid it under the running water (so it stays perfectly detangled), then i squeeze the water out of the braid. take the braid end and pull it over my head and turby twist it. after a little while i take it down and comb it a little.. and it stays perfectly tangle free during the whole process because of all the special care i take.. of course you wouldnt be doing any of this because keeping it from tangling in the shower is usually something you learn slowly as your hair grows out. as ive said, this is how i deal with tangles..

eta: also the mens 2/1 shampoos smell awesome. i cant get myself to use them because then i would smell like a man

allnaturalboy
June 12th, 2011, 08:08 PM
no those dont count. they dont have as much moisture as a 2 in 1. 2 in ones are also much more creamy feeling (luxuriously so). they say 2 in 1 on the label, i LOVE the ones sold for children. they are sooooo creamy fluffy.

no. no. no.:) what i was saying was that MY short hair didnt need conditioner.no if my hair was all eyebrow length i wouldnt use conditioner at all. you see i have a lot of natural oils. some people do, some people dont. if you dont, and by your explanation it seems that you dont have enough natural oils, then yes YOU may need conditioner when i do not when i had short hair.. if you are going to put conditioner on your scalp you should check out the CO thread for good conditioners that wont cause your scalp problems. plus a lot of the CO ones are better for frizz than many of the others that arent good to put on a scalp.

as ive said, your hair likely needs the conditioner. i suggest that you try a combination of a 2 in 1 and some of the CO approved conditioners. the 2/1 will help detangle before you put in the conditioner, and then the CO approved conditioner will help with frizz..

well when your hair gets longer like mine you will have adapted i promise you. how i do it (which isnt what everyone does) is that i comb out my hair really well before my shower/bath, then after i finger comb in my shampoo and rinse it out, i put on conditioner (from the ears down) and i use a seamless shower detangling comb very very very gently to comb in the conditioner to get it really well distributed, then i twist it and put it up and keep the conditioner in my hair for like 5 minutes while i scrub the rest of myself. then i rinse out the conditioner, under running water behind me (never flip your head it causes tangles).. i finger comb it, then i braid it under the running water (so it stays perfectly detangled), then i squeeze the water out of the braid. take the braid end and pull it over my head and turby twist it. after a little while i take it down and comb it a little.. and it stays perfectly tangle free during the whole process because of all the special care i take.. of course you wouldnt be doing any of this because keeping it from tangling in the shower is usually something you learn slowly as your hair grows out. as ive said, this is how i deal with tangles..

eta: also the mens 2/1 shampoos smell awesome. i cant get myself to use them because then i would smell like a man

I forgot to reply to this. :o Thank you for your advice! :) I've discovered (thanks to you) that I can get away with less conditioner if I dilute my shampoo. I don't always dilute because I'm afraid of build up, but I like it. :D I'm still trying to perfect my ratio, but it seems to be working okay so far. We have really hard water over here, so I think its a matter of finding a method that is cleansing enough without being TOO cleansing. I think my hair dresser was just trying to push products on me. She said that the quarter sized amount of shampoo was for salon brands because they're more concentrated and that with the drug store brands you need more, but they tend to build up. :shrug: She trims exactly how much I want off, so I'll continue to see her, but I'm going to ignore most of what she says from now on.

Venefica
June 13th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I have very thick hair I have to use allot of shampoo to get it clean. I use about 1/4 of a bottle with each wash. I do not think there is a universal way to take care of hair, one have to see what works for the type of hair one got, not everyone will get clean with just a dash of shampoo.

Vani1902
June 13th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Do what works for you. Everyone always has an opinion on hair care. Everyone also has different hair. People will always give you an opinion. Over the years, I have learned to ignore people and their hair care opinions. I have been getting those opinions since I was a kid. If lathering once works for you, continue to do it. :)