PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping on your hair?

neptoess
May 9th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hi. I have wavy hair that stays fairly straight for the most part if it comb it wet and brush it once it dries, but it's a little past shoulder length, and I sleep on my side. When I wake up most mornings, I have flips in my hair like I put curlers in it. Anyone have any tips for sleeping on long hair without turning it into a freak show?

jojo
May 9th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Try a bun on the top of your head when you go to sleep at night, it will give you body and retain your waves.

SnowGhost
May 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I highly recommend a satin or silk pillowcase to keep hair tangle and frizz free overnight. This and braiding before I go to sleep have made a big difference for me.

Anje
May 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm a fan of using a sleep bonnet because then I don't have to deal with satin against my face, and because it keeps my hair from tying me up at night. A smaller sleep bonnet might cause your hair to wave, though -- it certainly encourages waves in mine. I've seen some that members here have made with legs from silky pajamas and the like that allow the full length to stay straight.

Doesn't look exactly normal, but you do what's comfortable for you.

mistik
May 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I sleep with mine loose and pull it up above my head. It typically does not give me any problems this way. I move around in my sleep and when I wake, my hair is still up hanging over the pillow and mattress. I can't sleep with a bun, braid or ponytail as they are not comfortable for me to sleep.

DreamDance
May 9th, 2011, 11:26 AM
If my hair is being wavy (it has its straight to curly moments) I put my hair in a loose "pineapple bun" (which I personally modify by just flipping my head over, scrunching my curls into a lump and securing with a cloth scrunchy) on top of my head. It wakes up fairly even after that.

hsdoodles
May 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I have my sister braid my hair for me every night before bed. I get waves, but it doesn't matter since I bun my hair every day. :P

HintOfMint
May 9th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Maybe spritzing it with water in the morning and combing it will straighten it out again.

Kathie
May 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
As you described, hair just past shoulder length is also called flip length... for obvious reasons. With a little more length your hair will stop flipping. Until then there is some great advice above :flower:

neptoess
May 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks alot guys. I sleep with it loose and pull it behind me so I'm not laying on it. That and if it's all whacked out with curls when I wake up I just soak the ends with water and comb it straight.

Firefox7275
May 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Is your hair completely dry when you go to bed? My wavy/ wurly hair misbehaves most if I wash in the evening, as it's not completely dry.