PDA

View Full Version : Does an oil-shampoo blend leave a residue on scalp?

HintOfMint
May 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I'm thinking of experimenting with the Movie Star Shampoo method, mixing coconut oil with a very basic sulfate shampoo.
A problem I've faced in the past with "moisturizing" shampoos is that they tend to leave deposits on my scalp which flake off and look like dandruff. Do you think that coconut oil will leave a residue on my scalp? Has anyone faced any sort of scalp problems with mixing coconut oil with their shampoo? I did have to stop CO because my hair was shedding more if that's any indication as to how my scalp reacts. It loves sulfates.

Firefox7275
May 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Are you sure what you have seen before is shampoo residue and not atopic eczema/ contact dermatitis/ seborrhoeic dermatitis? If the shampoo leaves a flaky residue it would do that for everyone not just you.

vanillabones
May 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM
My hair loves sulfates too. I don't think the coconut oil would be what is leaving flakes. I apply heavy amounts almost daily and it only ever gets greasy, no flakes.

Intransigentia
May 9th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I don't seem to get any residue on my scalp from oil shampoo. I'm currently using neutrogena about 50/50 with nutiva coconut oil.

pepperminttea
May 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I don't get more residue than normal when I dabble with shampoil, but I have psoriasis, so it could have sneaked under the radar. I use Sainsbury's Apple shampoo 1:1 Coconoil brand coconut oil, followed by a light cheapie conditioner.

terpentyna
May 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
No residue for me...

jojo
May 9th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Try a lemon juice or ACV as a final rinse.

DreamDance
May 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Did you have cone residue on your scalp before you switched to oil/shampoo? I found, when I experimented with oil/shampoo, that I had to clarify first.

HintOfMint
May 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
My hair loves sulfates too. I don't think the coconut oil would be what is leaving flakes. I apply heavy amounts almost daily and it only ever gets greasy, no flakes.

Did you have cone residue on your scalp before you switched to oil/shampoo? I found, when I experimented with oil/shampoo, that I had to clarify first.

I haven't tried the oil/shampoo yet, I'm just thinking about it.

My past experience is only with shampoos that have dimethicone in them (labeling them as moisturizing) and those left a residue (presumably from the silicone).

Thanks for the answers, y'all. I have the neutrogena clarifying shampoo and I'll probably mix it up this evening. Wish me luck!