PDA

View Full Version : How long does a bun hold in your hair?

CrystalStar
May 9th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Today I received my first hair fork in the post, and I put my hair up with it, and it has held like a rock! However, even though it holds solid and my bun won't move at all no matter how I move my head.. I can feel that my bun has loosened in the 5 hours it has been up.

So I want to ask, how long does a bun hold in your hair, and what type of buns are tighter? :)

Chetanlaiho
May 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Twisty buns hold a lot better for me, but I'm trying not to twist too much xD a wanna be Gibraltar bun (I can never get it to work right but it's tighter than a cinnabun none the less) can last me a whole school day (7-8 hours) if I don't get a headache.

Braided buns (with a French or Dutch base) hold really well if I get them right, if I don't they start sagging and the ends'll fall out within an hour or so :/

jojo
May 9th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I love the Gibraltar bun or number 8. My buns stop in all day; i work 14 hour shifts and never have no problems. I use either a hair stick and have just discovered goody hair screws which are amazing for holding buns! Ive never had much luck with hair forks, my hairs too slippy for them.

growingpains
May 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I agree about hair screws. I use two bobby pins and one hair screw and it easily holds all day at work, with or without an elastic at the base. That said, it's not secure enough for me to go for a run or sleep in without loosening and/or falling out.

Hiriel
May 9th, 2011, 10:25 AM
The only buns I can be bothered with on a regular basis are those that hold all day. My go-to bun is the nautilus, which even when done relatively loosely will hold from eight in the morning until midnight.

WaitingSoLong
May 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM
That changes depending on my hair length. But basically, a one-stick bun will hold a few hours (depending on the bun) before it is loose. The hypno-bun usually holds ALL DAY for me. Nautilus, LWB, an hour or two, infinity if done well holds longer. I cnnot seem to keep a nautilus bun in no matter what. The strongest one stick but is the equilibrium, but I think it is an ugly one and only use it for "utility" purposes (when I cannot afford for my hair to come loose, like when mowing).

Definitely hair scroos/spin pins in a cinnabun hold the longest. But then I use about 6 in my bun. LOL

I have never had a hair fork and have been coveting one for some time thinking they would hold better than just sticks. Do they not?

StephieNavyGirl
May 9th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have to wear a bun in uniform every day at work. I twist my hair into a bun and secure it with just one skinny pony tail holder (no metal of course) then I turn it into itself and under like a topsy-tail. No hairspray, no pins and it holds all day. If I know I’m going to work outside in the wind or do heavy maintenance during the day I might add pins to fasten the bulk of it down a little more and spritz it with hairspray to control the halo effect. I get compliments on it all the time because it is generally more attractive than the average sock or military style bun.

terpentyna
May 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM
It depends on the bun.

My lazy wrap lasted 8 hours today... so at least that much.

krissykins
May 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Depends on a lot of things. If I can secure my current go-to bun properly, all day, and probably all night, too if I were to wear a hair fork to bed LOL.

danaj421
May 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Buns usually stay tight for me all day, it just depends on if I "catch" enough hair when I insert my hair fork. Having hair forks with 3-4+ prongs are much more secure than just 2 prong forks or hair sticks.:)

HairColoredHair
May 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
My buns loosen throughout the day, but a surefire way to make them stay tight longer is to braid the hair first. :)

celebriangel
May 9th, 2011, 11:30 AM
On me, an infinity bun with one hair stick holds like a ROCK.

On DBF? His hair is so thick that anything that's secure enough to stay is so tight it hurts. *grumble*. I think when it's longer I will try the nautilus and equilibrium on him. I also find that a chinese bun, held with good spin pins, holds well.

Cowgirl16
May 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
A nautilus bun with one stick will hold all day for me if I get it secured enough. I usually add a 2nd stick just for decoration:) A braided chinese bun with 4 hair pins and a stick also holds well. I still cant do a gibraltar bun to save my life, and an infinity bun will only hold for a couple hours before it starts to fall:(

ashke50
May 9th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Well the cinnabun I did this morning (about 12 hours ago) with two goody spin pins is still holding fine, although it has slipped a tiny bit down my head from where it began. The hypno bun with one hairstick that I did yesterday held fine until I started playing badminton, but I redid it, and then it held for the rest of the day.
The only time I really had trouble with buns was just after I oiled my hair. It was so soft and light that hairsticks just wouldn't stay put!

ooo
May 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM
The buns usually hold all day for me.

Lianna
May 9th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I have never had a hair fork and have been coveting one for some time thinking they would hold better than just sticks. Do they not?

I actually prefer 2 sticks, but only because my hair is still on the shorter side, and with sticks I can hold from 2 different oposite spots, which makes it more secure for me. I think you'll like either way though.

OP: My buns stays as long as I want, unless I lay down with it. Though buns with scrunchies can be used for laying down.

elbow chic
May 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Usually not more than a few hours, and I'm pretty sedentary. Seems to be getting better as the hair gets longer.

vaughner
May 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I usually put my hair in a bun when I sleep at night, it didn't used to stay, but as my hair gradually got longer it stays all night now. :)

torrilin
May 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I get peevish with buns that don't hold for 8-12 hours. Sometimes they'll hold for 24 or more.

Spin pins or hair pins seem to hold the best.

In2wishin
May 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM
A bun with hairsticks or forks will last a couple of hours.

A cinnabun with 2 spin pins will last about 8 hours.

A cinnabun with one jumbo bobby pin will last about 8 hours.

A cinnabun with 2 jumbo bobby pins will last until I take it down. I often have one up overnight with no problems. My record is 4 days without taking it down or adjusting it.

jasper
May 9th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Most buns will hold for me until I undo them if I have a long enough stick or fork. Twisted ones or the lazy wrap bun hold without getting loose. Knot type buns do loosen up, but they stay up. I get fly-aways.

WittyWordsmith
May 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM
My record is 4 days without taking it down or adjusting it.

:agape:

4 DAYS??? How did you not touch your hair for FOUR DAYS?!?!?

And it stayed!!

You deserve a medal for that one. :D

Jean Stuart
May 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I have been having great luck with the figure eight with one stick. I am still learning though and have not tried all of the other buns mentioned. I will be adding hair screws to my list things I want to try.

sweetestpoison
May 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM
honestly i've found the best holding buns for me are the ones that were not intended to be anything. I remember one time i just tied my hair in a big knot on the top of my head and took a stick to it, and just found what felt like the right spot. If i need my hair to stay out of my face so badly then i don't really care about aesthetics, so i go with whatever feels the most secure!

In2wishin
May 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM
:agape:

4 DAYS??? How did you not touch your hair for FOUR DAYS?!?!?

And it stayed!!

You deserve a medal for that one. :D

It was really hot and humid and I always have baby hairs that get really fuzzy and I think that they, and the natural curl that comes out in humidity, helped keep it in place.

cowgirllong
May 9th, 2011, 08:44 PM
My buns always seem to stay put, so I think it is all about getting them secure and knowing your hair. I can keep just about any bun in place with 1 hairstick. If I decide to pin, it just depends on the bun how many it takes. I shake my head pretty fiercely before I leave the bathroom when I put in a bun.

I work at a preschool and my hair needs to stay in place through the crazy dancing stuff we do to burn off their energy

tyrant1100
May 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Most buns hold all day for me with one stick. A few exceptions are the Gibraltar and Infinity. Both, unless I used a fork or a pair of sticks, try to turn themselves upside down after a few hours. Cinnabuns also won't hold for more than an hour unless I've anchored with a ponytail first, then it's an all day champion.

Sundial
May 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Most buns hold up well until I decide to take them out. However it takes a few tries before I get the right spot initially

I find that forks do hold better than sticks

Bene
May 10th, 2011, 01:30 AM
It holds as long as I tell it to, if it knows what's good for it :mad:

dinnee
May 10th, 2011, 02:38 AM
I usually put my hair in a cinnabun and keep it in place with 3 bobby pins. Sometimes I put a scrunchy around it (but this is more for the look, than to secure it). It holds all day and all night if I sleep in it. I guess I have easy bun-hair. :)

I haven't figured out how to do other buns yet. Maybe make a little project out of it --> one bun a day.

Oh! I did do Loepsie's Chineese Bun yesterday and it held all day. I used one hairstick and a few bobby pins. So I guess I know 2 buns!

ouseljay
May 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM
As long as I keep to secure buns that my hair likes they hold okay with just a stick or two. If I try buns for which I have too little length and too much hair they will rebel and try to escape. I managed a modified nautilus bun today and it is holding well with one stick, though it's a bit tight. I don't think I could make a cinnabun hold to save my life.

Anje
May 10th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Depends on the bun and sometimes on the scalp. Obviously, if it's one of those days where nothing's comfortable, a bun doesn't last long. And some buns (like pinless braided buns) just don't last forever. Most, though, pretty much stay all day, until I take them down. Since I prefer my hair loose or gently braided for sleeping, though, buns don't tend to last more than a day. Besides, sleeping with a hairstick in can be dangerous to husbands!

mistik
May 10th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Bene made me lol!

I only know how to do a basic bun. These are done with scrunchies or sticks. I prefer scrunchies because they do not hurt. I do a high ponytail, secure with scrunchy, twist the bun and fix with another scrunchy. With either, they stay all day. I always take my hair down for bed, so I haven't much pushed the envelope. I do want to try the figure 8 one, but until I find one of those clips that stay in my hair, I'm not sure I'll be able to. I can't figure out if its my texture, the weight, or my inability to use them right but I cannot get clips or combs to hold in my hair.

chelles2kids
May 10th, 2011, 04:07 PM
My "go-to" hair stick of choice is a keytlo in either a short {if I don't want any of the stick to show} or a medium...

once I put it up it stays until I take it out...and yes, I've been known to sleep in it as well.:p

Madora
May 10th, 2011, 06:11 PM
How well a bun stays secure depends on 2 things (personally speaking):

1) How active you are during the day
2) How well you have secured the bun

Personally, I use crimped 3 inch hairpins as I don't like hairforks (too ungainly for my taste). Hairsticks don't have much appeal either.

When you pin the bun you should try and anchor it in the 4 directions (north/south/east/west) and all points in between if you like.

You just don't poke in a hairpin either. You take it and weave it thru the bun and try to catch a tiny portion of the scalp hair under the bun.

Also, tight buns aren't good for your hair. You can have a little slack..but the hair should not be tight over an extended period of time.

I section my buns and distributing the weight makes them much easier to secure..and they are much more comfortable than having a mass of hair sitting at the back of my head..in danger of coming undone because all the hairpins in the world won't hold my long thick hair securely.

The crimped hairpin (not bobby pin!) is your friend!

GRU
May 10th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I've never kept track, but I'm pretty sure I could easily get a one-stick bun (no pins) to last 24 hours or more.

Curly hair is non-slippery hair.... holds like wire!

chenille
May 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM
On my hair, a cinnabun will stay in for a couple of hours with a hair stick, or as long as I want with my four-prong hair fork.

If I get the tension right (not too tight, not too loose) a nautilus bun will stay up forever with one hair stick.

At the length I'm at now, an equilibrium bun will stay for a few hours with one stick. I'd like to try the hair fork but somehow I haven't been able to, um, get the part that needs securing to be in the right place to fork, if that makes any sense at all.

spidermom
May 10th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I can do the same bun every day for a week or more, and sometimes it lasts 10 minutes before it twists or sags and pulls. Other days it stays up and comfortable all day long. I really don't know why it works sometimes and not others.

My absolute favorites are a braided bun or Gibralter.

Sweet Beat
May 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I go figure skating, and I always wear a bun. Then I have a lot of pins and a hairnet, so it holds for ages ;)

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM
mine depends on how I put it up
Hairtie~ 10 hours
hair stick (1)~ 5-6 hours
hair sticks (2)~6-8 hours
Pins~ 4 hours tops
Twisted and tucked (no accessories required)~ 2-6 hours

Honestwitness
May 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I rarely use hairsticks, because I don't like things sitcking out of my head. So far, the only bun I have mastered is the cinnabun. I use 4 to 6 bobby pins and it stays all day and evening, until I remove the bobby pins. I also like to use 2 medium or 4 small claw clips around the perimeter of the cinnabun. Those also hold securely until I remove them. I never sleep in a bun, because my fine hair is too delicate. I sleep in a nylon sleep cap with my hair coiled up inside, but no pins or clips. It looks stupid, but I don't care, because it really protects my hair and keeps me from strangling myself.