PDA

View Full Version : Castor Oil sticky & pulls hair out eeek

xcrunr2go
May 9th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I've tried Castor Oil in my hair but as soon as I put it in it was the most difficult thing ever to get out of my hair! I think I lost a lot of hair trying to get it out! Are you supposed to warm it before applying?

krissykins
May 9th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Try mixing it with a lighter oil like coconut.

And I recommend using the CO method to get castor oil out of your hair.

CrystalStar
May 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM
As krissykins said conditioner only washes are really good at getting oils out. Also if you oiled your hair up, then slathered it in conditioner and combed through, the hair hopefully won't pull at all anymore. :)

Roscata
May 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Like krissykins said you should mix it with a lighter oil, most people use olive oil or avocado oil but any light oil will do, in a 50%-50% mix it should work great.

You might also want to check out this thread for more information: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265

Good luck! :D

Kristin
May 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I love castor oil, but I only use it on the last couple of inches. I use coconut on the rest AND it goes on the entire length before the castor. I know everyone says that CO will get it out, but I use shampoo to remove castor oil.

Dina L.
May 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I use castor oil mixed with olive oil on my scalp and I wash it out very easily with a gentle, sulfate-free babybath. Warming up only helps to apply the oil.

Jean Stuart
May 10th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I mix castor oil with coconut oil and love it.

Sundial
May 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM
What the previous posters said about diluting the castor oil with a lighter oil is true - it will help make application easier especially if you intend to massage your scalp with it since the dilution makes the castor less sticky. Do check out the thread that Roscasta recommended for more helpful information.

Also, I find CO more effective in removing oils. Some people CO by slathering conditioner on dry hair and letting it sit between 5-20 minutes. You will need spend some time massaging the scalp while rinsing it out to help with the cleansing. I usually do it on wet hair and I usually wait for 15 minutes or so before rinsing.

Let us know if you manage to solve the issue with the suggestions provided

Anje
May 10th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Definitely mix it with a lighter oil. Grapeseed is really light and would work well, but olive, coconut, apricot, etc. should all work.

Personally, I wouldn't leave castor oil on my length. I just find it too darn sticky. It's supposed to be good for scalp oiling, though.

amandapage
May 10th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Avoid mixing too many essential oils into the treatment as this can dilute the castor oil mixture.

gogirlanime
May 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah like others have said make a mix, I do 1/2 M-T-G oil and 1/2 castor oil for my hair growth nightly leave in. For my ends I use 1/2 olive and 1/2 castor. It helps if your hair is a bit wet to get it in, and just gently wash it out with some conditioner or if you are gonna shampoo that day.