PDA

View Full Version : Damage Bonanza...

eri401
May 8th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I was a bridesmaid for a friend this weekend. Being a good sport, I went along with whatever the bride wanted and thought it would be fun to participate in all the girly preparation events. This included a trip to a salon and THAT involved....

Hair spray, before and after a hot curling iron on tiny sections of hair. She said she used the stiffest hair spray and about 2 bottles of it. When the hair was sprayed, heat curled, and sprayed again....the stylist aggressively back combed most of the hair in the center of my head for "volume." Aggressive backcoming with a thin tooth comb, to the point where I could hear my hair snap snap snap off. Then it was pinned up and sprayed again.

Once hair is damaged, it can never heal. It just has to be cut off. I've been meticulously taking care of my hair since I found LHC about a year ago and I'm just so horrified by how much damage my hair probably incurred in a 24 hour period. I came back to the hotel and deep conditioned with some Aussie 3 Min Miracle.

I guess there is nothing else I can do, right?:confused::(:confused:

littlenvy
May 8th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Wow. Just wow.
I could feel my hair screaming when I was reading your post.
BUT
Then I noticed that your hair is C. That means that its much thicker (each hair) than others. So don't panic yet. It might be ok. C hair is a survivor. Go back to your routine after you clarify and do a deep conditioning treatment.
This one time might not have damaged it too much.

And next time don't let anyone talk you into doing something you will regret later. Find your voice and say "NO, Thank you."

teela1978
May 8th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Honestly... you'll have a few snapped hairs. That's probably the end of it. Intensive styling isn't good for your hair, but one day of ratting and heat won't kill your hair.

MicheleClaire
May 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I did the exact same thing for a runway shoot last March. The show stylist used hairspray, backcombing, heat and everything. I also bought 3MM afterwards, too! First I was gentle with my hair and used 3MM, then I clarified and went back to my original routine.

While the length of my hair seems healthy and normal now, about 80% of my hair has split ends, instead of the usual 30%.

I'm going in for a trim next week. Unfortunately, a lot of my hair has broken off at a significantly shorter length than I'd like, but with a trim my hair will only be 50% splits and then I'll just grow out the breakage from there.

At least the photos turned out nice! I bet yours did too =)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5997&pictureid=102409

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5997&pictureid=102408

racrane
May 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I know how you feel. I was involved in a show last year and they used hot rollers, curled parts individually and backcombed for major volume. It did look nice but it was hell on my hair. So I got it cut...and highlighted it, stupid me. I'm still growing out the damage to hopefully trim it soon. I'm babying it and doing everything I can to prevent more damage. But in your situation, you could have said no. It's your hair!

eri401
May 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM
^Oh my gosh, MicheleClaire you are beautiful!

I know my hair won't fall out after 1 day of styling but it was the extent of the styling after months of gentle care that makes me go "eeeeehhhhhh."

jojo
May 9th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Oh dear never mind its done now, just lots of deep conditionings to say sorry to your hair!

Your hair does look lovely on the photos though!

CrystalStar
May 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Like littlenvy said C hairs are troopers! They put up with an awful lot before they give in! :p All I can suggest is an SMT (4 part conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part aloe vera gel and a quick blast in the microwave. Then apply to hair, put a plastic bag over it and leave on for an hour before washing off. Can also be done without aloe if it's not available!) and to oil your ends! :D