PDA

View Full Version : Had to use curling iron--what are your thoughts?

buttercupmcgee
May 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
In February I resolved to stay away from hot tools and hair salons until 2012. The only exception I made was that I would use heat tools to style my hair if I got an interview. It makes me much more confident to have it looking bouncy and styled, and my hair does not look as flattering pulled back.

Well, I've had four in the past week--and used the curling iron each time. Argh!!

There's also a chance I am looking at one, possibly two more at one of the places.

Ok, so I'm sitting here with oil on my head, going to do a deep condition tomorrow in the shower as well as a clarifying shampoo to get all the hairspray out. (Along with not using any heat appliances for the past 3 months, I also haven't used any products.)

Is there anything else I can do?

Do you guys think that I'm risking breakage from using heat tools about 5 times in 2 weeks? :confused:

Kristamommyx3
May 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Personally, no. However, I don't know your hair as well as you. If you are worried, could you try the sleep- in sponge rollers? They always worked great for me. :)

Smile4Kiki
May 8th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty much on the same boat. I've had a bunch of special occasions pop up in the last 2 weeks and I've used heat about 4 or 5 times also. I'm planning on oiling and deep conditioning as well as doing a henna in this upcoming week. I don't think the occasional styling is terrible, the way I see it what's the point of growing my hair if I don't enjoy it atleast occasionally. Good luck on the interviews!

IcarusBride
May 8th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I think you're just looking for someone to tell you "Oh nooooo, since you have such a good REASON why you simply MUST use heat styling, it will not do any damage at all!"
Of course it will cause damage, even using it once. But your entire hair will certainly not crumble and fall off because of using the curling iron 5 times.
If the feeling of confidence making your interview go smoothly is more beneficial than the stress of worrying about hair damage is detrimental, I say go for it!

buttercupmcgee
May 8th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks, I hope/think you're all right! I actually like heat styling and planned on resuming it once my hair reached my goal length, it's more just that I didn't want to do it now. I will do a test run with the sponge rollers, but in the past those always turn out a bit kinky/poofy/flat on top. Sigh. Ain't nothing like heat to get that shampoo commercial look. So annoying!

Arya
May 8th, 2011, 09:56 PM
you could do pin curls or velcro or pillow curlers instead?

TrudieCat
May 8th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Heat styling is not inherently bad. If you want to heat style, then heat style. If you don't like the results, then you can stop. :shrug: I quit the flat iron but I have resumed blow drying, and I like my hair better now. That's the most important thing to me - if my hair's a little damaged but I like it, then *so what* if it's a little damaged - you know?

I'm going to be in a wedding at the end of the month and you better believe I'm using all manner of heat to make my hair look like I want it to look for that occasion.

julliams
May 8th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I can tell you now that more often than not I have had to rewash my hair when I have tried some kind of overnight curling method. 80% of the time I'm not happy with it and I often have a lousy night's sleep with all those things in my hair. I've tried sponge rollers, paper, cloth, sock bun - nothing works for me so well that I'd be willing to wear it to an interview. The only curls I would personally wear to an interview would be my own natural ones (and then I would have it in a half up or braid) or curls I've made with heat. That's my personal opinion - for me.

I say, don't worry about it. You most likely walked into that room with confidence knowing your hair was how you wanted to present yourself. Yes you may have damaged your hair on some level, but I seriously wouldn't get caught up in it too much. Hair can get damaged from so many factors and things that one could go crazy trying to keep it completely "safe" from all damage. Keep up the moisturising treatments and oil, love your hair and best of luck for your new job!

julliams
May 8th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I quit the flat iron but I have resumed blow drying, and I like my hair better now. That's the most important thing to me - if my hair's a little damaged but I like it, then *so what* if it's a little damaged - you know?

I totally agree. I just did this with my last dry and you know what? I really liked it. I've had fabulous hair for three days and I'm possibly going to get a fourth out of it. Curly and wavy are fun and I love that too, but it's nice to have it all "just so" from time to time. Or even most of the time....

manderly
May 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Really, life is too short to stress out over a little bit of damage from heat styling. Yeah, maybe you won't have knee-length hair if you heat style a bit much, but is that what you're aiming for?

I've taken on a very zen mindset with my hair after several years here. The first year or two are spent obsessing and learning as much as possible. Then you get into your groove and you begin to mellow. Then you just kind of realize that hair will grow whether you want it to or not. It will grow if you brush too roughly, if you use silicones, if you heat style, if you dust every so often. You cannot stop the growing :)

Heck, I flat iron curled my hair the last week more or less because I was kind of tired of the frizzy curls. :)

spidermom
May 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM
If it were my hair, it would be shriveling up and spitting out splits from the heat.

racrane
May 8th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Personally, it's what you want. Baby it and it will be fine. I use sponge rollers myself if I really want curls. Though I sleep terrible. :(

Arya
May 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I can tell you now that more often than not I have had to rewash my hair when I have tried some kind of overnight curling method. 80% of the time I'm not happy with it and I often have a lousy night's sleep with all those things in my hair. I've tried sponge rollers, paper, cloth, sock bun - nothing works for me so well that I'd be willing to wear it to an interview. The only curls I would personally wear to an interview would be my own natural ones (and then I would have it in a half up or braid) or curls I've made with heat. That's my personal opinion - for me.

I get the same, so I usually do let my hair dry in pin curls, and just cover it with a bandanna if I wanna run out and get something. My grandma has this method of doing pin curls where it actually looks so good up, you can just go out wearing them like that. I wanted my hair in curls as a bridesmaid once, but I liked the pin curls up so much, I wore my curls still rolled to the wedding. I'm not quite that good yet, but getting there!

WittyWordsmith
May 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I actually was thinking about this last night. I really do like the idea of just letting my hair be, but ever once in a while I know I'll want to plop in the rollers and see what it can do. Give it a glorious show, ya know?

I think that as long as I'm nice to it and love on it as much as possible, it will survive some abuse every once in a while. And if I have a few weeks here or there that require some extra abuse, well, so be it.

Just do your best when you've got the job to pamper it and let it know you still love it! Our hair somehow survived decades of abuse and it's still on our heads (for the most part) so a few weeks probably won't obliterate it.

celebriangel
May 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Personally, I would see noticeable damage if I did this - but I'm also lazy, and heat-styling of any kind just doesn't turn out well on my hair.

Could you wear your hair in, e.g., a french twist or something? Elegant, chic, no need for heat. If you want to, however, please don't feel bad about doing so. Just be aware that you will likely have some (to what degree, is difficult to tell) damage.

selderon
May 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM
In February I resolved to stay away from hot tools and hair salons until 2012. The only exception I made was that I would use heat tools to style my hair if I got an interview. It makes me much more confident to have it looking bouncy and styled, and my hair does not look as flattering pulled back.

Well, I've had four in the past week--and used the curling iron each time. Argh!!

There's also a chance I am looking at one, possibly two more at one of the places.

Ok, so I'm sitting here with oil on my head, going to do a deep condition tomorrow in the shower as well as a clarifying shampoo to get all the hairspray out. (Along with not using any heat appliances for the past 3 months, I also haven't used any products.)

Is there anything else I can do?

Do you guys think that I'm risking breakage from using heat tools about 5 times in 2 weeks? :confused:

:blueeek: You must do penance for your hair sins. Mail me $100 and perform five deep conditioning treatments. :p

I think you'll be fine. If you see some splits, you can S&D or trim and remember that you can't get away with that much heat in the future. Or you can do bun waves, sponge rollers or rag curls and circumvent the whole problem.

How are the interviews going? :D

torrilin
May 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM
On my hair, that wouldn't be workable :). Yours is obviously different, since you mention the curls actually staying in... my hair would misplace the curls somewhere and get terribly splitty. So it doesn't look curly *and* it gets splits. What a waste. Story of my life... which is why I am pretty religious about not using heat on my hair.

But everyone's hair is different, and your hair is obviously not just the same as mine. Good thing too!

Jeni
May 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Really, life is too short to stress out over a little bit of damage from heat styling. Yeah, maybe you won't have knee-length hair if you heat style a bit much, but is that what you're aiming for?

I've taken on a very zen mindset with my hair after several years here. The first year or two are spent obsessing and learning as much as possible. Then you get into your groove and you begin to mellow. Then you just kind of realize that hair will grow whether you want it to or not. It will grow if you brush too roughly, if you use silicones, if you heat style, if you dust every so often. You cannot stop the growing :)

Heck, I flat iron curled my hair the last week more or less because I was kind of tired of the frizzy curls. :)

This so very very this. I didn't blow dry my hair for a very long time because I was so worried about damage...I'm back to blow drying because I like my hair better when I do. Will it cause some damage? Probably but so what? Whats the point of hair if you cant enjoy it?

Relax, by all means try and do things that will limit the damage but enjoy your hair!

spidermom
May 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Personally, it's what you want. Baby it and it will be fine. I use sponge rollers myself if I really want curls. Though I sleep terrible. :(

Have you tried putting a loose-ish ponytail on top of your head with a scrunchie and then rolling the ends? This used to work great for me when my hair was shorter. Now the length pulls out curls pretty quick - alas!

DreamDance
May 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I'm another advocate of do what makes you feel beautiful in your own hair. If you need to curl your hair, curl your hair. Put a protective spray on it first and deep condition it before you wash. Pamper it, and abstain from heat when you can. I know how uncomfortable it can be to have hair that just won't look nice in an updo and sometimes a little heat styling can improve your self esteem by 100%.

Springlets
May 11th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I'm trying to stave off using the curling iron myself. I bought the sponge rollers- results weren't great. I'm now thinking maybe I should go for something in between- hot rollers? I don't know why but I think it would cause less damage, use less heat than a curling iron... someone could prove me wrong though. :o

beccababesx
May 16th, 2011, 05:01 AM
There will be a fair bit of damage from that, there's no denying it, but as long as you're not aiming for classic length and beyond then I'm sure you'll be fine. I would do several hot oil treatments, and obsessively S&D, as well as a dusting on the ends and layers, then put it up and give it a break for a month or two.

Katze
May 16th, 2011, 05:07 AM
hi hairtwin.

As the owner of similar hair I know how hard it is to make it look nice. And I would say that, yes, every application of heat is damaging to your hair.

But if it is in good condition to begin with the damage is relative.

my hair is in good condition but is regrowing after I lost half of it, so it LOOKS damaged. I use 'cones and lots and lots of product, and wash more frequently, to get my hair looking presentable. I also blowDAMP (assisting the airdying process and drying out my ears) - something that is necessary in my cold, damp climate.

Yes, sometimes I wish for a curling iron and the kind of curls it gave me, but damp bunning in the Lazy Wrap bun (the only bun I can do) actually gives me similar curls, and if I put leave-in mixed with hair gel, the curls stay.

Fine, wavy, mixed hair does not usually look like hair is 'supposed to' based on media images, hollywood fake hair, etc etc. So I personally find it very hard to LIKE my hair most of the time.

Have you experimented with leave-ins? SMTs? 'Cones? All these things work very well on my hair, so they might work for you...

good luck getting a job!

Katze

Hailes
May 16th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I use Babyliss Curling wand, it works amazing on my hair and I only use this when I have an occasion etc. I have long thick hair and its one of the few things that work and stay's in! It may damage your hair a lil bit as it can go up to 200c which is the temp I use it on, but I am so thrilled with the after style and I always get compliments when I have my hair curled by them. I think as long as you dont use "heat" on your hair every day that the damage shouldn't be too bad especially if you treat your hair afterwards etc. And as someone said if it make you feel more confident then deff go for it and use it when yio need too! x

Ciridae
May 16th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Since you generally seem to treat your hair with lots of TLC, I'm sure the occassional heat style won't completely wreck it. The fact that you're aware of the damage you are doing surely makes you careful about not frying your hair, so I'm sure your hair will forgive you. :)