PDA

View Full Version : I can't stop splitting my sides

telegraph64
May 8th, 2011, 03:12 PM
:cheese:

The sides of my hair which are just at collar bone length, aka face framing layers to soften my bangs, can't stop splitting no matter how nice to them I am !! :o
I oil them, and treat their ends like my other ends (the long ones) and always have my hair secure at night, no matter what, I end up with over 30 splits every time I search and destroy... what could I be doing wrong? They won't grow longer, and they're too short for my liking, I want them to be at least at bra strap ( about 5-6" shorter than my length) length.

I'm trying my best!

Routine lately (for reference)

Clarify once per month, gently shampoo with a low-sls shampoo weekly, condition, wash, condition (the first condition is oil left in), ACV once monthly, henndigo a few times yearly (40-60 henna and indigo mixture for brown).

GuardGirl
May 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
If you have several inches of damage at the bottom, I would think that it would continue to split and fray until all the damage has been grown out and cut off. I think patience and time will solve the problem. :) good luck!

lorelai2012
May 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I have this exact problem. I'm hoping my new shears will help as maybe my old ones were too blunt and making it worse when I did S&D.

Hope you figure it out

Lorelai2012 - 30ins by Dec 2012!

lapushka
May 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Happens to me too. Nothing you can do about it, except trying to S&D. Kind of odd, though, that it happens to the coarse haired among us too. I thought it came with F hair territory.

camillacamilla
May 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I know that for me, any damage to the sides of my hair is likely to come from my pillow and sleeping habits. I tend to "scrub" my face down into the pillow sometimes when I sleep on my side. So it might be mechanical damage from your sleeping habits. A nice satin pillowcase might help if this is the case.

Edit: I just reread your post and saw you secure your hair at night. Could it be that you are catching these ends under straps, like purse or bookbag straps?

jaine
May 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM
What are you using for search & destroy? I'm suspicious of the scissors if splits keep coming back quickly.

jojo
May 8th, 2011, 03:32 PM
This is the exact reason I cut my bsl "fringe" back to a blunt fringe. No matter how nice I was to it, it just split and looked thin; I am much preferring my fringe.

jojo
May 8th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Happens to me too. Nothing you can do about it, except trying to S&D. Kind of odd, though, that it happens to the coarse haired among us too. I thought it came with F hair territory.

Well i am a fine haired but most of my coarser hairs are in my fringe area (silvers) so I wonder why? The rest of my hair is really fine but never splits and breaks as much as my grown out fringe did. Interesting!

telegraph64
May 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
If you have several inches of damage at the bottom, I would think that it would continue to split and fray until all the damage has been grown out and cut off. I think patience and time will solve the problem. :) good luck!

I really hope you're right and this isn't some sort of terminal length issue for these poor hairs !!

Maybe maybe I should just go ahead and cut the inch or so off if it gets worse though... maybe it'll make it easier in the long run than thinning the ends further with s&d.

I think my coarse hair splits easier than you would think... very interesting, jojo and lapushka...

Firefox7275
May 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Do you have old damage from treating these areas badly in the past? If so maybe the ends are just not salvageable and need to be trimmed. Some LHCers believe that oil can shut out moisture, so maybe try using a richer conditioner or a leave-in conditioner? Is it possible the way you secure your hair is damaging the ends? :shrug: Many of my breaks (around the face and at the back of my head) are from ponytailing 24/7 with no-snag bands. I am at the experimenting stage but leaving my SL hair loose at night on a 50% silk pilllowcase seems to drag a lot less.

Signe
May 8th, 2011, 09:21 PM
this happens to me too!

growingpains
May 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Me too. Mine front bits are currently about APL and won't really grow any longer. For me it's cause these ones are finer. But also, I think it's from ponytails over the years, also the fact that I can't actually "see" the back of my hair, so when I used to heat style it was my front pieces that got brutalized. I don't heat style at the moment, but that damage will take a long time to grow out.

I hope you figure out the source of the problem. Mine are breaking alot. BUT, that said, they are still growing, it's just a slower growth than my back. My solution is S&D and to baby em.

schweedie
May 9th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I have the same problem and from what I've understood, the hair on our sides is usually more prone to damage and splits - if it's loose, we might tuck it behind our ears and touch it a lot; if we sleep on our side it rubs against the pillow... And I think it's usually finer than the rest of our hair, too, although I'm not sure about that. But like someone said - maybe a proper trim/SD with a pair of really good scissors could help!

dinnee
May 9th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Perhaps pay more attention to how you wear your hair and what you use on it. I discovered that clipping those hairs with duck beak clips really cut through them and made them break off really easy.

Things like, headsets, hair clips and hats are easy to recognise. But some can be a little more tricky. I currently sport about half an inch difference between the left and the right side of my braid tassels because the jacket I wear a lot has an iron zipper over my right breast. Took me a while to figure out where the difference came from...

Also a lot of my hair was getting snagged in a necklace I wore every single day. I had breakage on my hairs very high up, at a little bit below my ears. The hairdresser told me it was because I was wearing my hair in a ponytail everyday, but as I use extra soft elastics that didn't make sense to me. Until I found broken off hairs in my necklace, that's when the penny dropped. Now I only wear that necklace on special occasions and make sure all of my hair is in a bun.

caiti42
May 9th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I'm joining the side splitters club too!

Its so annoying!

CrisDee
May 9th, 2011, 05:40 AM
YES, me! I've found that my hair in the area you're describing is a completely different texture from the rest of my hair. It's sooo much more fragile, and grows AGONIZINGLY slowly compared to the rest of my hair. I already sleep on a satin pillowcase, and I've only recently gotten enough length to be able to do ponytails - so I don't think it's any kind of mechanical damage, just different for whatever reason.

KatiSasha
May 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Same here! I do believe that this hair gets handled a lot more, even if my hair is up in a braid or a bun the sides will eventually slip out and until I redo my hair I'll be putting them behind my ears, mindlessly twirling, etc. I started using these moments of slippage for S&D. It is much easier since the rest of the hair is still up. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

WaitingSoLong
May 9th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Same issue here. I quit S&D because I am convinced, new scissors or not, that is does more harm than good. Most my damage I think is mechanical. It is the length about where ponytail holders and stuff are secured. I, really, just ignore it.