PDA

View Full Version : I chopped

Miss Catrina
May 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Yesterday I got a big chop. I was sick of trying to hide all the things wrong with my hair every day, knew it was only going to get worse, and that it would be more depressing to grow it out farther and THEN lose progress, than to do it now.

So yeah... now I have this chin length.... bob.... thing. I didn't go in wanting it to be that short (it wasn't the stylist's fault though), but in the long run it's probably for the best that it is. Like 95% of the damage is gone, so now I can get a fresh start. I'm still figuring out how to style it into something not ugly.

This time:

- No sulfate shampoos
- Old t-shirts instead of towels (if it feels rough on my skin, it is not good enough for my hair)
- Regular EVOO treatments
- Minimal heat styling
- Vitamins every day

And on the bright side, I can't feel bad about how thin my hair is anymore, because I can't gather it all together to SEE how thin it is anymore. :p

Kherome
May 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
How about NO heat, and a cashmire towel?

spidermom
May 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Happy growing! Sometimes it's best to get rid of the damage instead of fight with your hair every day.

krissykins
May 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Miss Catrina, I'm glad you're figuring out what is right for your hair! :flower:

I use old T-shirts too and I think they're perfectly fine. I usually have less frizz than when using regular towels. I don't think you'll need cashmere towels. :shrug:

jojo
May 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Good for you and your plan sounds good!

MrsGuther
May 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Good for you. :)

einna
May 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Brave girl =) Good luck growing, I think you made a good choice.

Amraann
May 8th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I would go with no heat as well.

About 14 years ago I chopped my waist length hair to my chin.
(I had 4 children and a farm and the A/C had broken!)

It took about 2.5 years to reach my waist again. (I am sure that I trimmed it many times during that)
So it will not be to long before it grows back:)

Kherome
May 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Miss Catrina, I'm glad you're figuring out what is right for your hair! :flower:

I use old T-shirts too and I think they're perfectly fine. I usually have less frizz than when using regular towels. I don't think you'll need cashmere towels. :shrug:

And what do you have against cashmire towels? They're the best.

triumphator!
May 8th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Mmm I can only imagine how wonderful cashmere towels could be. My skin would be jealous of my hair.

/hijack: good luck with your growing! there's no use in keeping it around if it makes you miserable. Now you're off on the right foot :)

krissykins
May 8th, 2011, 01:00 PM

I don't have anything against cashmere towels. I just think that old T-shirts are perfectly acceptable. :)

Toadstool
May 8th, 2011, 01:07 PM
My personal objection to cashmere is that frequently it is not shorn from goats, but rather plucked out. In addition, according to PETA, fifty to eighty percent of young goats are killed because their coats are not considered to be of high enough quality.

To the OP, I'm glad you have got rid of most of the damage, and hope you find a way to wear your hair that you are happy with while it is growing out.

Kristamommyx3
May 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I did exactly what you did, except mine was to shoulder length, about three years ago. It really was worth it!

Capybara
May 8th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Fresh starts are wonderful :) I'll bet it's fabulous! I think that your plan sounds great as well. I use heat minimally, and have no regrets.

Kherome
May 8th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Mmm I can only imagine how wonderful cashmere towels could be. My skin would be jealous of my hair.

/hijack: good luck with your growing! there's no use in keeping it around if it makes you miserable. Now you're off on the right foot :)

Yep, they are awesome. I know they sell them in stores, but I got mine local. I'm a spinner and a lady in my guild raises and then spins the cashmere fiber, then knits with it or sends it out for custom things like the towels. I bought 2 from her and wish I'd bought 10! So I heartily recommend them! I tried tee shirts once but they don't absorb enough and I went through 3 trying to just stop the dripping.

elbow chic
May 8th, 2011, 01:36 PM
pics or it didn't happen! ;)

HintOfMint
May 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Maybe I didn't get the best quality cashmere, but they get that wet dog smell when wet, so I'm not sure I want to deal with that drying my hair:p This happened to a sweater and a pair of pants I was wearing and it suddenly started to rain and I was sans umbrella.

cowgirllong
May 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with a chop that gets rid of damaged hair. I've been there. As long as you take better care of your hair, it will be worth it. I've gone down the road of chopping and then slacking off and NOT taking care of it. Much to my regret. :(

Firefox7275
May 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Miss Catrina you are a force to be reckoned with, IMO you could take on anything or anyone with your current level of determination!! :D Healthy eating is far more important than vitamin supplements, don't forget you need a balance of minerals, protein, essential fatty acids and overall calories for a healthy body and hair.

celebriangel
May 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Instead of telling OP not to heat style, could we ask why she currently feels the need to? Your hair is 1c; most people in the 1s find that they have to actively try to cultivate their waves, which brush out easily. Even my 2c waves brush out to 1c on the second wash day when I'm conefree.

With chin-length F hair, it should also dry in a jiffy. Where is the need to use heat in there? F-haired people often find that heat is excessively damaging to their fragile strands.

In any case, good for you for cutting out the damage. For me, this is the only way - I find it hard to live with damage, and much prefer a clean slate. I am sure that your hair will now grow like a weed!

Please don't feel sad over your hair's thickness - at ii you are within the normal range! I think we have many more iiis on here than in the general population - there, almost everyone is a ii. And the is all look up to you with envy! :D

Sharifa
May 8th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Miss Catrina, good luck with healthy growing! I just recently chopped off my damaged hair to chin length as well.

I never knew there was such a thing as a cashmere towel! Sounds luxurious!

IcarusBride
May 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I agree with the NO HEAT suggestion. It's going to do a lot more damage than a towel ever could. It would be a shame to grow the chopped hair back and have it be damaged once again.

Kherome
May 8th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Maybe I didn't get the best quality cashmere, but they get that wet dog smell when wet, so I'm not sure I want to deal with that drying my hair:p This happened to a sweater and a pair of pants I was wearing and it suddenly started to rain and I was sans umbrella.

Haha, all that means is that it didn't get a proper prewearing wash. All natural fiber will retain the animal smell until it's been properly cleaned once or twice. I know exactly what you mean though!

vanillabones
May 8th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Kudos on cutting off the damage that far. I too prefer clean slates, but if I were to have a clean slate I'd be back to a 2-3 inch pixie again! So I have nothing to lose, literally :(
I'm jealous of your healthy chin length hair :) Mine is not even to shoulder and lots of bleach damage left, yucky.

Dragon
May 8th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I am glad you are happy with it. It's amazing how much softer hair feels after cutting out damage. I had heat damage years ago and some one talked me into cutting my APL hair off. It was done in 3 stages to SL. I am glad I did it. Happy Growing.

Mesmerise
May 8th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Sounds like a good plan! I'd also agree with the others to avoid heat styling as much as possible (I guess it depends what you mean by minimal lol) as heat (IMHO) is much more damaging than, say, putting a towel on your head ;).

Of course, I know the allure of heat too lol... I still fight it ;). Anyway it's good you're happy with your hair and you've cut off the damage. I have no doubt that if you treat it well your hair will be beautiful and happy!

NouvelleNymphe2
May 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM
pics or it didn't happen! ;)

I'm with elbow chic, have there been pics of this cute bob posted!?!?

Kome
May 8th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I've thought about this, but I unfortunately look SO VERY UGLY with short hair. I could show some pictures of the difference... it's bad. I could probably get away with just below the shoulders to remove the main damage, but I can't do it. No way! I will fight with it until the end! Haha.

Good luck and happy hair growing! You'll be so much happier to have thick, healthy ends. Mine have seemed to fall away. It's very tempting to do this as well if not just for more thickness!

bigred199
May 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Good luck with your fresh start! I have to say it's a relief to get rid of unhealthy ends. Happy hair from here on out!

Deborah
May 9th, 2011, 12:12 AM
To me it sounds like you made a wise choice. I think having nice ends and way less damage is much more attractive than long, damaged hair. Good for you.