PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your leave ins!

christine1989
May 7th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I have just recently re-discovered leave in conditioners and determined that my hair loves them! I'm currently using Giovanni direct leave in conditioner in place of the traditional wash out kind. I find it thickens and helps my hair stay moisturized all day. So, for all of you leave in fans, what is your favorite leave in conditioner?

Roseate
May 7th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar (http://shop.karensbodybeautiful.com/product-p/1008.htm). Total win. Light, silky, comes in a fragrance-free version... it is perfect. I put all manner of other things in my hair too as the mood strikes, but I always start with this.

Messyhair
May 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure it's really considered a leave-in, but The Body Shop's Bilberry Detangling Spray is my hair-saver when I'm away from home. My hair REALLY doesn't like changing water used to wash it, and I get a tangled mess when I stay elsewhere. This spray makes all the tangles just fall out.

:cheese:

McFearless
May 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Live Clean's Fresh Water leave-in. It makes my hair so soft and light without looking like I have any products. The smell is really clean and doesn't resemble a baby prostitute.

ladyfey
May 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Nightblooming's panacea, perfect for me and my kids!

MissManda
May 7th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I actually haven't tried any products specifically designed to be leave-ins. Maybe I'll try one once I can afford to experiment.

Right now, I'm just using my Everyday Shea conditioner as a leave-in and I absolutely love how silky it makes my hair feel. I used coconut oil before that, and I liked it well enough, but my hair seems to like the EDS better. I'd like to see how my hair reacts to plain shea butter or Nightblooming's Panacea.

christine1989
May 7th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Nightblooming's panacea, perfect for me and my kids!

I want to try this so bad! I'm not sure what the ingredients are though- does it have any cones? (my hair doesn't like cones)

krissykins
May 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I want to try this so bad! I'm not sure what the ingredients are though- does it have any cones? (my hair doesn't like cones)

Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve is certified cone free. :D It's mostly made up of oils, I believe.

I normally dilute my conditioner with some water and a few drops of jojoba oil for a leave-in. :)

christine1989
May 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve is certified cone free. :D It's mostly made up of oils, I believe.

I normally dilute my conditioner with some water and a few drops of jojoba oil for a leave-in. :)

Thanks krissykins! I just ordered the winter blend from esty because it's protein free as well! :) (my hair isn't too fond of protein either)

missvici
May 7th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I use Garnier Fructis Detangling Double Care Treatment for Dry or Damaged hair or Mane 'n Tail Moisture enriched Hair Strengthener. I also occasionally use coconut oil sparingly.

Blond On Blond
May 7th, 2011, 11:13 PM
The Beautiful Curls leave-in conditioner is so far the best leave-in I've tried in terms of immediate effects, unfortunately it makes my hair look a tad greasy the day after, so I use it only on occasion. It also builds up faster than any cone product I've tried (I'm guessing it's the emulsifying wax). But it sure does make my hair soft, shiny and manageable!

I'm currently using Suave Shea Almond almost exclusively as a leave-in. It doesn't do much as a regular apply-and-rinse-out conditioner, but as a leave-in it's excellent. For reference, I'm trying to grow out very damaged hair that's been colored red several times, and then bleached twice and dyed strawberry blond. The Shea Almond makes it look almost healthy ;) It eliminates frizz and smooths my hair without weighing it down.

Quezie
May 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I'm mostly posting in this thread so it's easy for me to find in the future, as I'm looking for leave-ins myself. (:

scorpio_rising
May 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I'm mostly posting in this thread so it's easy for me to find in the future, as I'm looking for leave-ins myself. (:

Couldn't you just subscribe to the thread? Then it would be in your subscribed threads list in your user CP and you could check it out whenever you want. :)

</hijack>

Carry on. :D

|Xei
May 8th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I'm using Phyto 9 right now and it's beautiful stuff. A pea-sized or so amount is really enough, it makes my hair feel really silky and gives it a gloss that no other product I've used has ever given.

Other than Phyto 9, before I went cone-free, I've also used several of silicone serums (KMS, got2b, Chi Silk Infusion), and a treatment for coloured hair from Pantene.

Kristamommyx3
May 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion about Suave kids detangling spray? I've been spraying it on the ends of my hair lately, and it seems to really make my hair happy. However, I'm worrying that it's too good to be true long term. Do you think it might have something in it that isn't so great?

prof-annie
May 8th, 2011, 11:01 AM
After a shampoo and condition I use a bit of my normal conditioner (currently Herbal Essence Perfect Endings but I change conditioners a lot!) mixed with a little bit of almond oil as a leave in. This works well for my hair.

Sweetie
May 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I usually use Coconut Splend'or conditioner mixed with a bit of karitè or argan oil!!

RitaPG
May 8th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I don't know what it's like where you live, but I found out that most leave-ins have the same ingredients than regular conditioners, so I just use the same conditioner I CO wash with. Sometimes I'll use a coney conditioner instead (just on the very ends as a leave-in) because my ends are prone to tangles. And I want to use that bottle up.

Toadstool
May 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Couldn't you just subscribe to the thread? Then it would be in your subscribed threads list in your user CP and you could check it out whenever you want. :)

</hijack>

Carry on. :D

How do you subscribe to a thread??

I'm looking for non-animal-tested leave-ins myself.

meumar
May 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I love the Giovanni one as well & use it everyday. Another thing that I just realized about it is that the ingredients contain many of the same essential oils that are found in chrome dome and the hair growth oil recipes!

tigr
May 8th, 2011, 11:54 AM
How do you subscribe to a thread??
At the top of the first post, there's a bar. Click on the item that says "Thread Tools", and then "Subscribe to this Thread".

You get to your subscribed threads from the "User CP" item on the Menu Bar.

Chetanlaiho
May 8th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I've been experimenting with leave-ins for quite a while. Coconut oil and jojoba oil makes my hair really soft but it takes forever to dry if I put it in when it's wet and it winds up looking greasy all week :/

I thought I discovered a miracle when I combined coconut oil and aloe vera because it dried super quick and my waves were almost pretty curls ^^ but that AVG had alcohol so I'm hoping it'll work with an alcohol free one as well.

And most recently I've been experimenting with using my wash out conditioner (I use inecto for CO) as a leave-in but I end up adding coconut oil anyway because my ends feel dry xD (I need a trim v_v)

HintOfMint
May 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I don't know what it's like where you live, but I found out that most leave-ins have the same ingredients than regular conditioners, so I just use the same conditioner I CO wash with. Sometimes I'll use a coney conditioner instead (just on the very ends as a leave-in) because my ends are prone to tangles. And I want to use that bottle up.

I've tried that a few times, but for some reason, it always ends up sticky and residue-y in my hair. I've found that leave-in conditioners that were made expressly not to be rinsed out don't leave that finish. Ah well.

When the weather's not dry, Giovanni's Direct Leave-in is nice, and Tigi has a serum/gel that has water soluble cones and smells like candy.
Lately I've been a hardcore cone-head so I've been using John Frieda Frizz Ease serum.
Aveda's Universal Styling Cream is also amazing. It let me grow my poufy hair out from a shoulder-length cut without resorting to heat.
I've also used coconut oil and jojoba oil on damp hair with pretty nice results.

However, the best "leave-in" I have found is damp bunning, my hair dries really smooth when I do that.

elbow chic
May 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I just bought Aussie Hair Insurance. So far, it seems sticky and "eh" in my hair but great in my DD's curls. Smells good!

Pumpkin
May 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Well, for a few months, I was using Aveeno Active Naturals Nourish + Condition Leave-In Treatment and I honestly loved it. I still have a brand new bottle of it and will keep it...just in case. :) I believe, for my hair, it just cannot handle cones and this leave in has cones.

Currently, I am just using a pea size amount of Alberto VO5 Kiwi Lime conditioner (no cones) on my damp hair as a leave in. Even though the VO5 is not marketed as a 'leave in', this method seems to work for me.

jojo
May 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I very rarely use leave in but ive always just used a tad of my regular conditioner and it works just as well. I prefer oils after washing to be honest.

lapushka
May 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Schwarzkopf got2b anti-frizz cream (called smooth operator in the States, I guess); contains cones. It goes on after rinse-out conditioner is left in my hair now, and results are much better!

haibane
May 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I use plain old Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner, just the regular rinse out kind. I use a lot too, but my hair doesn't come out stringy. The trick seems to be to add it to sopping wet hair. If I add it to squeezed out or towel dried hair it comes out wonky.

lapushka
May 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I use plain old Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner, just the regular rinse out kind. I use a lot too, but my hair doesn't come out stringy. The trick seems to be to add it to sopping wet hair. If I add it to squeezed out or towel dried hair it comes out wonky.

Definitely!

Firefox7275
May 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I've used many different commercial leave-ins over the years, but currently loving cone-free Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner used as a leave-in. :)

RitaPG
May 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I've been using the Triple Nutrition as a leave-in too. I'm not too fond of the smell so I haven't had the guts to make a full CO wash with it. But that thing sure does wonderful things to hair ^^'

x0h_bother
May 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Interesting! I will have to try this.

erika_d
May 8th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I just started using the Aveeno Naturals Nourish and Condition leave-in and it seems GREAT s far. I've only used it once though, so time will tell.

Someone else said it has cones, but I only noticed one as the third-to-last ingredient so I;m hoping it doesn't build up on me. I recently switched to no cones and my hair loves it, but the ends seem to need a bot more moisture lately...

Deborah
May 9th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I don't like 'stuff' that stays in my hair. On rare occasions, I have used a tiny bit of shea nut butter on my ends, but that's it. Almost all of the time I wash with CO, then rinse, first in hot water, then in cold water and citric acid powder. That's all. I like my hair to just feel like hair. To me it seems like conditioners, oils, and other products weigh the hair down and cause it to get dirty faster. I think that many folks who believe they must wash their hair daily would probably find that it was not necessary if they did not leave products in their hair. Just my opinion of course.

annieangel149
May 10th, 2011, 08:47 AM
....oooohhh i have just discovered the past 2 weeks that my hair loves leave ins which is really weird cos my hair use to hate them. Instead of COing with a rinse out conditioner in the shower i wash with water, towel dry and use spray on leave in, (elvive yellow bottle for damaged brittle hair) i only spray on my ends cos i still have some damage. since changing to this regimen my hair is less oily and just feels cleaner. Its amazing that my hair has changed so much through the years :)

Jean Stuart
May 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I have been using Foxs shea butter conditioning cream. My hair loves it. I might add a little bit more coconut oil.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586

As for store bought I like It's a 10 miracle spray. It smells great.

Cowgirl16
May 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion about Suave kids detangling spray? I've been spraying it on the ends of my hair lately, and it seems to really make my hair happy. However, I'm worrying that it's too good to be true long term. Do you think it might have something in it that isn't so great?

I am using this product as well. I haven't had any problems with it. :rolleyes:

Gwen
May 10th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I use Aveeno. It leaves my hair so silky, soft, and not as many 'fly-aways'.

Gwen

chelles2kids
May 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Not necessarily a leave-in as much as a wave definer {?} product...this is the one I love:

http://www.amazon.com/Tigi-Curls-Contour-Cream-6-76oz/dp/B001CY9JGO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305065031&sr=8-3

christine1989
May 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I love the Giovanni one as well & use it everyday. Another thing that I just realized about it is that the ingredients contain many of the same essential oils that are found in chrome dome and the hair growth oil recipes!

Wow, I never noticed that- it does have a similar formula to growth oils and best of all, no cones :).

dinnee
May 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I made a mist for my hair that I spray on after I washed. On dry hair though.. Does that count?

It's a bottle of water, a table spoon of avocado oil, a table spoon of Garnier Triple Nutrition and some EO. It makes my hair really really soft. :)

Jean Stuart
May 11th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I made a mist for my hair that I spray on after I washed. On dry hair though.. Does that count?

It's a bottle of water, a table spoon of avocado oil, a table spoon of Garnier Triple Nutrition and some EO. It makes my hair really really soft. :)

I would say yes it counts! ;)

Sheltie_Momma
May 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I am using this product as well. I haven't had any problems with it. :rolleyes:

I use it on my DD3, her hair is so fine and so very easily broken, I soak her hair with this for up-do's too and it seems to be fine.

Sanyia
May 11th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I am cheap and just use the sally's matrix biolage conditioner knock off, diluted with water.

K_Angel
May 12th, 2011, 12:55 AM

Does this weigh down your hair at all? What size is your spray bottle? TIA! :blossom:

WittyWordsmith
May 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
***bump!***

jojo
May 18th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I do a roobio tea rinse which I dont rinse out and then I spray withhttp://http://www.sallyexpress.com/viewProduct.aspx?pid=115318 which is excellent at keeping my hair nice and soft. Ive only been using it a week or so but its a really good product.