PDA

View Full Version : Youtube Guru's Gorgeous Hair!

kristinacurl
May 7th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum, but I have been lurking for about a month now :).

Jessica Harlow, one of the YouTube gurus I subscribe to, recently posted this video about how she styles her hair. She uses heat (oh no!!) but her hair is absolutely gorgeous. When I saw this video I had a major case of hair envy!

Here it is for your viewing pleasure: http://youtu.be/bnYQKCW7xBk

- Kristina

Kherome
May 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM
That link looks suspicious to me.

Roseate
May 7th, 2011, 08:28 PM
That link looks suspicious to me.

I hope not, I clicked it! It's just a youtube video of a woman curling-ironing and teasing her hair, seems innocent enough.

Though maybe it needs a trigger warning for LHC styling-damage-phobes :p

krissykins
May 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Kherome, YouTube has a "share" button on all the videos, and youtu.be urls are usually linked. It goes straight to the video.

She has lovely hair!

kristinacurl
May 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Haha! It is the short YouTube link that they provide for sharing. Here is the link copied from my URL thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnYQKCW7xBk&feature=feedu

kristinacurl
May 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I hope not, I clicked it! It's just a youtube video of a woman curling-ironing and teasing her hair, seems innocent enough.

Though maybe it needs a trigger warning for LHC styling-damage-phobes :p

I warned that she uses heat! I should have mentioned the teasing. It just goes to show that some people can use heat/teasing and still have amazing healthy (looking) hair. Lucky girl!

MissManda
May 7th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Wow, she has such perfect-looking supermodel hair! :D

sarahbrownie
May 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I love curls, who doesn't? But I actually liked her hair better before she curled it.

christine1989
May 7th, 2011, 10:30 PM
It is so pretty and thick! I hope she dosen't damage it with that heat styling. ;)

owlathena
May 8th, 2011, 12:01 AM
She has amazing hair! I wish she didn't curl and tease it. But I'm not one to talk and shes definitely doing something right!

aisling
May 8th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Want the grumpy old timers take on this? Yes, her hair looks good, what helps her is that she has very thick hair and probably also very coarse hair by the look of it, it can take more damage than fine hair. It is also not that long from an LHC point of view, she probably trims her hair regularly and gets rid of any damaged ends.

Valdeon
May 8th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Her hair looks amazing. It seems very coarse and voluminous, but there is no way I can get away with treating my fine hair the same way/ It will just turn into a rat nest!

tgagurl27
May 8th, 2011, 01:47 AM
can u get this look from not using heat? im subscribed to this girl on youtube and this method turned out really nice on her but i think it would be different for shorter hair... heres the link http://www.youtube.com/user/Loepsie#p/search/4/3FV-YO46E8Y but yea i was just wondering if u guys had dif methods too

julliams
May 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I really love this look but... 2 things

Firstly - she that first lock of hair in that heating barrel for a whole minute!!!! OMG
Secondly, I tried the sock bun thing and wanted to love it. My results? I had the worst night's sleep I've had in a long time and my hair really did not look good. I think it's too thick for the sock bun thing to work for me. A shame - I really really wanted it to work.

I think big Kim Kardashian curls are just not going to happen for me...

kristinacurl
May 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
can u get this look from not using heat? im subscribed to this girl on youtube and this method turned out really nice on her but i think it would be different for shorter hair... heres the link http://www.youtube.com/user/Loepsie#p/search/4/3FV-YO46E8Y

Wow!!! Her hair turned out just as nice as Jessica Harlow's! That is amazing. My hair is way to short to try the sock bun method. But I will definitely give it a shot when my hair gets longer.

Debra83
May 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM
can u get this look from not using heat? im subscribed to this girl on youtube and this method turned out really nice on her but i think it would be different for shorter hair... heres the link http://www.youtube.com/user/Loepsie#p/search/4/3FV-YO46E8Y but yea i was just wondering if u guys had dif methods too

I'd seen and tried this one a couple of years ago :confused:...but tried again last night.....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=102607

MsBubbles
May 11th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I think I can out-grumpy you, Aisling! I gave up after a minute. I wanted to see her hair down but she just kept talking and talking so I went on to something else. Short attention span!

krissykins
May 11th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Want the grumpy old timers take on this? Yes, her hair looks good, what helps her is that she has very thick hair and probably also very coarse hair by the look of it, it can take more damage than fine hair. It is also not that long from an LHC point of view, she probably trims her hair regularly and gets rid of any damaged ends.

As a grumpy member who is a recent guru and prefers to follow all old-fashioned LHC advice (ow, bad grammar), I agree. I watched for only a few seconds, I actually didn't see what the end result was. So she curls her hair, eh?

I still think her hair is lovely. :flower:

Lianna
May 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM

A lot of LHC'ers goals are waist length. I think she deserves recognition for growing it that long. So what if her hair is coarse? Often people have different "advantages", I'd say your hair is straight, which is easier to grow than curly.

Madora
May 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Ante diluvian's take on the video...

She has lovely hair. A pity it is ruined with layers.

And she wants to style her hair but isn't sure of what one of the buttons mean? Huh? Didn't you read the instructions that came with your curling device?

And she wants to do it in a hurry? Oh, please...guess I'm hopelessly outdated. I'll stick to air drying with no heat..and not having to deal with layers.

krissykins
May 11th, 2011, 02:46 PM
A lot of LHC'ers goals are waist length. I think she deserves recognition for growing it that long. So what if her hair is coarse? Often people have different "advantages", I'd say your hair is straight, which is easier to grow than curly.

I don't think aisling meant coarse as a bad thing. I took it to mean that the hair is resilient to damage. It can withstand lots of heat styling. :flower:

curlymarcia
May 11th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I had to say that both girls have stunning hair, but I wouldn't only try the heat method. I am glad the sock bun works so well :)

JaneinMarch
May 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Gorgeous hair! It doesn't look coarse to me. Dense, but not coarse.

xoerincolleen
May 11th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I think her hair is stunning! Who cares if she uses heat, it's obviously working for her!

BrightEyes7
May 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Hey if my hair didn't split like a banana every time I tried to curl it, I'd be doing it too! Her hair looks great. And props to her that it still looks healthy!

jojo
May 11th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I had to turn it off when when she started back combing; it puts my teeth on edge! and her poor hair all that heat. :(

I liked the sock curling video and actually preferred her curls :)

Bene
May 11th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Not really a big fan of the back combing, but it's whatever. I'm just cracking up that after all that work, it ended up looking rather messy on the top. So the rest of her hair was done, but because of the top, she didn't look like she was about to head out of the night, rather trying to pull herself together for that walk of shame on the following morning.

AMW
May 11th, 2011, 05:32 PM
My hair would be destroyed if I did that to my hair ... lucky her!!

enfys
May 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Not really a big fan of the back combing, but it's whatever. I'm just cracking up that after all that work, it ended up looking rather messy on the top. So the rest of her hair was done, but because of the top, she didn't look like she was about to head out of the night, rather trying to pull herself together for that walk of shame on the following morning.

I thought that. If she had been able to smooth the top down then it would have looked a lot more polished. I don't think it made a big enough difference to make it worth it.

My curling wand is a lot easier than the clamp-release-shimmy-repeat method, too.

ETA: I still think it was very pretty overall, but I think it looked better a minture before the end!

Debra83
May 12th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I'd seen and tried this one a couple of years ago :confused:...but tried again last night.....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=102607

This is the result the day after, after doing it again but with dry hair, and a little bit of Ojon leave in spray. Can't see them in the pic, but two front pieces turned into ringlets. Way easier to damp bun it than dry bun it, and it stays better damp than dry, but I like both results about the same. Sure does eat up the length though.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=102660

maborosi
May 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
The teasing kind of made me cringe...but yeah, she has surprisingly nice hair. I won't hate for using heat styling, but since I only do it for very formal occasions nowadays, I dunno. I know really pretty curls can be achieved without heat styling or using hairspray ^^

~maborosi~

MsBubbles
May 12th, 2011, 09:30 AM
. So what if her hair is coarse? Often people have different "advantages", I'd say your hair is straight, which is easier to grow than curly.

Lianna, I don't think there's any contention here. As a fine-haired person I envy people with more resilient hair strands (that would be medium- or coarse-textured), so I understand where Aisling came from on that one and did not interpret it in any way as anything remotely negative towards those with coarse hair.
Nobody was saying there's anything wrong with coarse hair.

Arya
May 12th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I actually think her hair is kinda 'meh', anyone using heat can get cute curly hair... I'm more impressed with the ladies who get awesome hair without heat or teasing, personally!

BrightEyes7
May 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM

That's what I was thinking. After she spent all that time (she spent a LONG time curling it, I'd spend half that time and I have just as much hair) she went and messed it up! It looked a lot nicer before she teased it. She could have at least smoothed the top layer after doing it. Maybe she did after turning off the camera... :shrug:

Lianna
May 12th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Lianna, I don't think there's any contention here. As a fine-haired person I envy people with more resilient hair strands (that would be medium- or coarse-textured), so I understand where Aisling came from on that one and did not interpret it in any way as anything remotely negative towards those with coarse hair.
Nobody was saying there's anything wrong with coarse hair.

She said she can only have nice hair while heatstyling because it's coarse (like all with coarse hair don't get damage at all). I never said coarse was a bad trait, but an advantage (and so did her).

I'm saying despite her hair being "strong" (read coarse) she deserves credit for growing (and growing while heat styling sometimes), even if it isn't knee length.

Seems like some members can only appreciate the extreme long lengths.

ALYSSA
May 12th, 2011, 08:41 PM
shes so lucky! i want haor hair its the perfect color and length and everythong! heck , i even wish i had her face haha

mrs_coffee
May 13th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Her hair is beautiful. Wow.

WaitingSoLong
May 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Here's another one who could not get past the blah blah to the actualy styling. I keep my PC on mute...I can SEE what you are doing....why explain? SO I tend to skip forward to the "good stuff". I am probably missing a lot but at least I have more time. LOL

WaitingSoLong
May 13th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I also wanted to say that if heat styling makes you happy and enjoy your hair...go for it! I know people regret it later but I also think having fun with your hair is part of the beauty of having something you can damage and cut and grow out again. :shrug:

My personal goals may include healthy locks but watching someone else destroy their hair doesn't bother me. It is THEIR hair they can do what they want. As long as they don't say my hair is bad because I don't do what they do...hey...I can live vicariously through all the people actually brazen enough to dye/cut/style/dread/perm/do all the things I am too chicken to do myself :)

Now if they are doing all of that saying it is GOOD for hair...well...that is different. I guess the negative side of this video (that I didn't watch) is that some people may think they can do what she is doing and not have any damage because she doesn't appear to have any. Ahh well, that is where the education begins for a lot of people. They try it then...they learn.

MsBubbles
May 13th, 2011, 06:32 AM
She said she can only have nice hair while heatstyling because it's coarse (like all with coarse hair don't get damage at all). I never said coarse was a bad trait, but an advantage (and so did her).

Ah! ok. I think you don't understand the slight language nuance in starting a sentence with "So what if...". It came across as if you were challenging what Aisling said ("So what if her hair is coarse?"). Defense is a form of attack. So now you're saying you agree with what Aisling said?!

Either way, I agree with you that any length hair can be beautiful and appreciated. And some people have stronger hair than others.

Lianna
May 13th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Ah! ok. I think you don't understand the slight language nuance in starting a sentence with "So what if...". It came across as if you were challenging what Aisling said ("So what if her hair is coarse?"). Defense is a form of attack. So now you're saying you agree with what Aisling said?!

Either way, I agree with you that any length hair can be beautiful and appreciated. And some people have stronger hair than others.

I agree with what she said about the hair attributes. I don't agree with her disdain/arrogance...as if waist length (the youtuber's hair seemed waist to me) is nothing, because LHC'ers can grow longer. Is that something we really need to say? "Waist length hair is not that long comparing to us (LHC)"

The way she says the hair is coarse is almost taking the credit of the real efforts she might have done to grow her hair.

Dina L.
May 13th, 2011, 07:01 AM
She has is my dream-length hair... :crush:

Debra83
May 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM

That's how I read it too. (your top paragraph).

aisling
May 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I agree with what she said about the hair attributes. I don't agree with her disdain/arrogance...as if waist length (the youtuber's hair seemed waist to me) is nothing, because LHC'ers can grow longer. Is that something we really need to say? "Waist length hair is not that long comparing to us (LHC)"

The way she says the hair is coarse is almost taking the credit of the real efforts she might have done to grow her hair.

You have an interesting way of interpreting what I wrote :rolleyes: Anyway, I still stand behind that it's easier to keep a hair looking good despite lots (? I guess) heat styling if you're keeping it a certain length and trimming regularly and if it is coarse. What is offensive in that statement?

alyanna
May 13th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I really love this look but... 2 things

Firstly - she that first lock of hair in that heating barrel for a whole minute!!!! OMG
Secondly, I tried the sock bun thing and wanted to love it. My results? I had the worst night's sleep I've had in a long time and my hair really did not look good. I think it's too thick for the sock bun thing to work for me. A shame - I really really wanted it to work.

I think big Kim Kardashian curls are just not going to happen for me...

That's what I was thinking! She kept her hair wrapped around that curling iron for a LONG time. Holy! If I did that, I don't know WHAT my hair would look like.

You have an interesting way of interpreting what I wrote :rolleyes: Anyway, I still stand behind that it's easier to keep a hair looking good despite lots (? I guess) heat styling if you're keeping it a certain length and trimming regularly and if it is coarse. What is offensive in that statement?

I agree. When your hair is M or C, it can certainly withstand a lot more. When my hair was longer and undyed, I heat-styled 2 or 3 times a month and never had any issues, and I'm an F. It's the dye that really made my hair DIE! So I can see how her hair could still be in tip-top shape despite all the heat.

The backcombing though. Never allowed that except on my wedding day. That's a no-no. That's just DIRECT and BLATANT ripping of the hair. I think that's gonna catch up to her a lot quicker than the heat, the effects of which she may never really "see".

xoxophelia
May 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hair that is more coarse can take more heat without splitting but if you keep it up, trust me, the natural shine will start to die. There have been studies that show that even if there is no visible damage to the exterior of the hair shaft the inside becomes less dense from heat which also was shown to cut down on shine. Obviously higher heat would create greater damage.

Definitely when my hair was virgin to dye I could 100% get away with this styling method (minus the teasing.. I never did that), and have about hip length hair even without ever trimming it. However, over time the shine became less and less when I kept up with curling irons, flat irons, and blow dryers. People would look at my hair and assume it takes it well but not know that it is so much easier to manage, shinier, and less frizzy without the heat.

I also liked her hair better before the curls actually. And her hair may do better with heat than mine does but C hair isn't a green light to do all damaging things to your hair with no drawbacks. For example, even ericthegreat had to lighten his hair in multiple steps to get his blonde regardless of thick C strands.

It is not too difficult to get similar results without heat though. I have worn a similar style to a wedding and did so without heat tools.

princessp
May 13th, 2011, 03:24 PM
She has very pretty hair and she looks a lot like Sarah Shahi (an actress) who I think is gorgeous!

Lianna
May 13th, 2011, 07:33 PM

It seems like you put all her sucess on the fact that her hair is/can be coarse. Should only the F be praised?? LOL, I don't even have coarse hair myself, I'm not taking this personally. And growing to waist is still a big deal, some people have never done that.

I didn't say she uses heat "a lot", because I don't know her.

UltraBella
May 13th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Ante diluvian's take on the video...

She has lovely hair. A pity it is ruined with layers.

And she wants to style her hair but isn't sure of what one of the buttons mean? Huh? Didn't you read the instructions that came with your curling device?

And she wants to do it in a hurry? Oh, please...guess I'm hopelessly outdated. I'll stick to air drying with no heat..and not having to deal with layers.

I am so glad my hair is "ruined" with layers, like hers :) I wouldn't like it all one length at all. I think layers are beautiful.

Her hair reminds me of my own in some ways, mine is somewhat coarse as well and I heat styled for years and years, on top of coloring....... and my hair did not split or lose it's shine. She may not be destroying her hair at all. I didn't destroy mine. I still color and bleach in highlights regularly but I no longer heat style. It took forever !

Aurantia
May 13th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Gorgeous hair! The kind I dream of having; even though her hair is coarse (and a rich black as opposed to my light ash) it has a very similar fall, texture and thickness to my super fine hair -- it's inspiring to "see" my hair at waist! :inlove:

I confess that at first I skipped to the end after she started styling to get to the "good stuff". But after other comments I searched for the backcombing; when I saw her spray her hair before teasing I actually exclaimed, "AH!" out loud. :lol: That's the fine hair in me helplessly cringing. Oh, you lucky coarse hairs!