PDA

View Full Version : Hair trim experience

redeyedtreefr0g
May 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Just in case anyone might like reading the occassional story of an experience, figured I'd share mine.

I've been growing my hair back out since chopping it back in 2004. For whatever reasons I went down to short cropped "boy" hair to see how it would look. I think I'd gone shorter to the shoulder from mid-back and hated it, so decided to go all the way up since I'd already made a bad choice to cut it in the first place. Anyway, its been growing.

Got a much-needed trim in 2007 to deal with ragged ends causing monster tangles.

It's lasted this long until the tangling is driving me bonkers. I remember it being so much nicer after the trim last time, but I realized it just reached fingertip length recently when my husband pointed it out. I didn't want to lose it. Finally, the tangles got to me and I made the decision, just not sure when I'd be able to act on it. For some reason, it came into the topic of conversation and Hubby took me to the local cheapy cut place this afteroon.

It was... interesting.

Cutting my hair made me think of you guys and the list of long-hair friendly establishments. I almost wish we'd gone to one.

The lady that cut my hair obviously had no idea what to do with me. She sat me down as if she wasn't going to take me to the sink- which is the express purpose I was looking forward to in "having my hair cut" rather than attempting it myself. So I mention a wash and she takes me over there. She does her thing and while I think she's scrubbing a little vigorously, perhaps it was because I did have a little oily look going on- I knew we'd be getting the haircut and I like the washing part- so why waste my own stuff to have it washed out and re-done?

I got up from the sink and saw my hair and I think I stood there a minute in shock. I had made sure my hair was brushed before walking in, thinking it would make things easier. I don't think I should have bothered. I ended up with a tangled dripping mess- she totally did a number on me! How, I have no idea- I can't even do that with my hair loose in a 25mph variable wind. She actually asked me how I wash my hair in the shower. I told her, and she very nicely suggested that I comb it out myself, since she'd messed it up and was sure that she'd cause further damage by trying to undo it.I agreed with her and got to work.

I think it took about ten minutes. I used her wide toothed comb, and then a flimsy smaller one. She added a whole bunch of sprays and leave-ins, maybe 4 different kinds, in an effort to make it easier to detangle. I think maybe it only made the comb harder to hold, but the attempt was appreciated.
She went ahead and washed the next lady waiting who had been a little miffed that my husband and I walked in and went before her at 4:45 when she'd had a 4:30 appointment. Well, this place doesn't do actual appointments, only call-aheads to reserve a place in the first-come-first-served hierarchy on which we'd gotten a place ahead of her. We had visited the video game store and then even went to eat fast food. Our quoted twenty minute wait was actually 45 minutes. Anyway, I'm surprised she still got a wash after seeing my results.

After the hairdresser and I finished she combed out my hair and started cutting. Before she'd washed, we had discussed what I wanted and she mentioned two inches. I made sure to ask her to show me what that was on my own ends. I agreed that at least that much would be needed to get most of the frizzy damage off. When she started cutting, she said more like 3 inches, and I didn't argue.
When she was done, she picked up the blow dryer and I said that was fine, it could just air-dry. We were only going home anyway. The top of my head was already feeling mostly dry anyway.

It feels so short!! I saw the wet cut off pieces on the floor myself and they were shorter than I thought 3 inches looked like, and I definitely think the edges are much nicer now. But it doesn't touch my hands the same way it did, and honestly it doesn't reach the landmark of classic when I hold it against the measurement curves I was born with. That's the biggest shock. It's not even that long anymore?? It probably is to observing eye, but not reaching the mark when held against me is disappointing. At the same time, I rode home with the window down and am not having the awful mesh I used to get as a result.

I politely nodded and smiled and ignored advice on trimming regularity and product usage and such the hairdresser mentioned as she cut my hair.

So, in short- I needed the cut and no real harm done I suppose. I'll always miss what gets trimmed off I think. Next time (in 3 or 4 years) I'll check out the list here of long-hair friendly places before hand and plan a visit to one of them maybe.

celebriangel
May 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Eeek!

To be honest, I've heard so many horror stories about hairdressers/had my hair roughly treated so many times that I'm just not going back. By the time I'd explained how I prefer to have my hair washed, that I'd like to comb myself, discussed what products would be suitable, talked firmly and at length about the length loss/hemline/no layers please, and repeated at least 5 times to please treat my hair gently...eh. Not worth the effort for me. I get DBF to wash it sometimes instead :D

I watched a hairdresser wash my mum's hair the other day; they do like to get it "squeaky" clean! :( And I was once washed by someone with looooong acrylic fingernails; it really hurt!

spidermom
May 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I think my stylist has the wash and condition technique down because tangling is usually not a huge problem. Sometimes I offer to detangle it myself since I think if a person doesn't choose to have long hair and all the hassles associated with it (like detangling), why subject her to my hassles. She usually has me do one side while she does the other, or goes out for a smoke break while I comb it out.

Sometimes the hairs we feel touching down at the longest areas look so much more thin and wispy on the floor than they felt.

I've decided to keep up with regular trims (about every 3 months) from now on because both times I grew for an entire year+ without trimming, I ended up having to sacrifice the entire year's length to dried out, split to pieces ends. You know it's really bad when the ends of your split ends are split. Last time I didn't trim for 14 months, I had to give up 7 inches. It was hair that needed to go, though. Combing had become a nightmare!

x0h_bother
May 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM
To go on a tangent here, one thing you mentioned that I don't get is the felt need to scrub the client's hair, especially the length. We aren't dirty people, we wash our hair and some of us (like me) wash every day with regular SLS poo...I just wonder what they are thinking they are doing that is special when they scrub. Just merely running SLS poo through hair will cleanse it well enough. And I don't use a lot of leave ins, barely ever, so I doubt product build-up would be a valid reason to scrubadubdub my hair to an inch of its life...
Anyways OP, it sounds like a trim was necessary and helpful, but she took off more than you wanted. I could see that this happened when she took you from just 2 inches to 3. Stand firm and if you make a decision the first time of 2 inches, stick with it. I think you will be happier if you don't doubt yourself but ask for what you want/need.

redeyedtreefr0g
May 7th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Perhaps I should have stood my ground, but at the time I did say it and it true: its only hair, and it'll grow back. While its feeling extra soft at the moment (and also extra fly-away for its scrubdown) we'll see how much better it is later on not having the frayed ends catching on each other.

I think I need a shower and rewash tomorrow though, too tired tonight, but my scalp itches noticably.

Mesmerise
May 7th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Do they actually condition after washing your hair, or just wash it?? I can't see how it would get so tangly otherwise unless they were just really... errm bad at it lol.

I have to say though, I have hair that personally I find really easy to detangle. I mean, I wash my hair (CO right now but in the past normal shampoo then condition), rinse it out, give it a squeeze and wrap it in a towel turban, and when I let it down I just comb it with my wide tooth comb and I hardly ever even hit a tangle (sometimes I do, but it's usually really easy to get the tangle out), so we're talking less than a minute getting my hair untangled. And YET when I've been to the hairdressers I remember getting my hair pulled etc. as they brushed/combed it in order to get tangles out... tangles that just shouldn't be there at all (usually when I go for a trim though, I don't get a wash first... Usually I've only had my hair washed when I've had colour done or something).

christine1989
May 7th, 2011, 10:23 PM
She made you comb it out yourself? :ponder: That sounds pretty unprofessional to me. I have always had the experience of sitting down in the chair and letting my stylist take it from there. He always seems very confidant in what he is doing (20+ years of cutting hair will do that!) Definatly seek out a stylist who 1.) has long hair experience and 2.) RESPECTS what YOU want done with your hair.

IcarusBride
May 7th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sorry you had a marginal experience with the hairdresser. It sounds like she had the best intentions and really tried to work with you, but was just out of her comfort zone.
When I read this, I was thinking it's similar to what would happen if you brought a tiger to a pet groomer. Haha

jil
May 7th, 2011, 10:59 PM
redeyedtreefr0g, it sounds like you have a good outlook about the experience :) I have heard, and read, about enough disappointing experiences that I haven't been to a professional stylist since 2001! I'm just not brave enough to take the risk.
If you do find a stylist that you have a great experience with please post it. I would love to read more posts about great stylists (I know they are out there). :)

owlathena
May 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I'm glad it was ok and that your hair feels better! There are so many horror stories on here.

Night_Kitten
May 8th, 2011, 06:02 AM
At your length, even 2-3 inches can look and feel much shorter, but you'll be right back at the previous length in a couple of months, minus the tangly ends :)

I used to go to my mom's hairdresser for trims, and when I was about half way between waist and hip length, she washed my hair and then started combing it from top to bottom with a small comb (close small teeth) while it was still soaking wet, and complaining my hair is so tangly and I need to cut to BSL because that's the only thing that will help... Needless to say, I never let her wash or wet my hair again, ever (used to wash it myself and comb it gently before going)... And this year I stopped going to her at all - I do microtrims myself, and when I need 1/2'' - 1'' trim I ask my mom to do it

Pumpkin
May 8th, 2011, 06:11 AM
In order for me not to have a horrible experience with any hairdresser, I just trim my own hair. Feye's self trimming method...

I save money and I control how much of my hair is cut. I much prefer this method.

MicheleClaire
May 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM
There is a list of long hair-friendly salons? Where? *Goes to scour LHC* Sounds fantastic...

Phexlyn
May 9th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Wow, she must have really messed with your hair to get it so tangled! I'm surprised that taking less than 3 inches off leaves you with barely classic length. If I'd cut the same amount back from fingertip, I'd solidly be at past classic, but maybe I just have long arms and hands?

I hope you are happy with your ends, though, and that it makes up for losing that bit of length. :) I agree it's very awkward (and kind of sad) not to have your hair touching your body like it used to when it was longer.

tgagurl27
May 9th, 2011, 03:51 AM
i also am too scared to go to a hairdresser im too easily persuaded by them "ill cut off a few more inches it'll be better in the long run" a year later i finally reach the length that was cut off and its in need of a trim again... i just do my own otherwise its too traumatising haha

MonaLisa
May 9th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I'm so sorry you went throught it...
those washing sinks are horrible..I'm really disappointed they didnt invent something better for long hair..
Mine also always was a tangly mess...and stylists never had patience to comb it afterwards...but just rip through knots...:(

I'm so glad I chose to self trim this time...and from now on...Main reason was the tangles and breakage from monster combing...
But also somehow the real 1 inch i cut off doesn't feel much shorter...and seems less than ' 1 inch' stylists used to cut off...

Dina L.
May 9th, 2011, 04:48 AM
At your length I would do a self trim next time. You control the products on your hair, you control the length.
And have you tried ACV rinse? It helps a lot with tangles. I mean A LOT. :)

racrane
May 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I completely understand. I think everyone has had horrible experiences. I'm glad you're more optimistic than me. I sobbed for about a week after one woman cut my hair from waist to barely BSL. Anyway, I found a stylist I like now and she has beautiful long hair. I trust her work, but it took several bad experiences to find her. :(