PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a nylon bristle brush or an Isinis brush?

shikara
May 7th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Since joining LHC, I've discovered that the best way for me to work through the bottom 6 inches or so of my hair is to first go through it with my fingers, then gently use a nylon bristle cushion brush. My favorite was Jean Pierre Grande Prix but I can't find them anymore - I wonder if they have closed shop. I bought a Goody one and it was terrible (much too stiff) and have just purchased an Isinis (but I haven't used it yet - my hair is up until tonight!!). Once I've worked through the bottom few inches, a wide tooth comb works best, but it doesn't work on the bottom.

Madora
May 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Nylon bristles generate heat, which is not a good thing for your hair.

I knew a girl in high school who used a nylon brush..and her hair looked like a dandelion all the time. Short hairs exploding everywhere, up and down the length (barely shoulder length). It was enough to make you cry.

It be better to forgo brushing completely and stick with a wide tooth comb, rather than damage the hair from nylon!

shikara
May 7th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Nylon bristles generate heat, which is not a good thing for your hair.

I knew a girl in high school who used a nylon brush..and her hair looked like a dandelion all the time. Short hairs exploding everywhere, up and down the length (barely shoulder length). It was enough to make you cry.

It be better to forgo brushing completely and stick with a wide tooth comb, rather than damage the hair from nylon!

I realize that this is the general rule of thumb, but trust me, this is not a method that works for every type of hair. I must admit, the bottom 4 inches or so are dryer than the rest, and the air is dry where I live, and I am successfully combatting that; nevertheless, a wide tooth comb does not work, it never has, and there are others who find the same thing. If I'm not mistaken, it's usually those with fine hair. Wide tooth combs seem to tighten knots, whereas a brush with a lot of flexible bristles slides through much more easily - I am gentle though, and am confident it's going through because it's a better method for my hair, not because I'm ripping through it.

I have been trying to find reviews of the brush I have now and of the few that I've found that had quite good reviews, were from women with long fine hair.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that although there are general rules for overall care and treatment of hair, because there so many types of hair, in so many different environments, it is not surprising that these are not for everyone. I'll post again after I've tried it out tonight. Maybe it's headed for the garbage - maybe it's my new hair treasure!!

Syaoransbear
May 8th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I've been using an Isinis nylon bristle brush pretty much my whole life until recently when I started experimenting with different brushes. I like how gentle and flexible the bristles are. The only thing I dislike about it is the static. I prefer it to my Mason Pearson Large Extra Pure Boar Bristle Brush. The bristles on that are too firm, not as smooth as nylon, and some even have split ends.

As far as I know, it doesn't generate heat. The bristles have always felt cool after I brushed my hair. If you were brushing your hair in such a way to make the bristles generate heat, you'd probably destroy your hair with any brush.