PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the BBB

Loepsie
May 7th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I've had my boar bristle brush for a while and since I wash my hair once in 4 days the brush collects a lot of dust from both my hair and the air, even though I keep it in a cabinet. I've tried to clean it before by kind of bathing it in shampoo water, but I didn't feel like that cleaned it very well and I ended up plucking the dust out with tweezers. Not effective =P
So I was wondering, how do you clean your bbb? And how often do you do it?

FarmGirl
May 7th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I'm with you Loepsie. I keep my bbb on my dresser, and it collects dust like crazy! Usually I just end up either using my vacuum cleaner hose thing and sucking the dust out of it with that, or with tweezers, like you do. I'm definitely considering keeping it inside a plastic ziploc bag though when not in use... maybe that would help...

As for how often, usually just whenever it gets bad enough that I notice it ;)
Haha.
Love your Youtube videos, btw :)

terpentyna
May 7th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I brush it with a comb. first a wide toothed to get out the hair, second with a fine toothed in order to clump the dust and then pick it out with the rat tail or a hairstick. If you respect your BBB though, then you shouldn't brush it with the fine toothed comb, it seems violent when I do it.

I'm actually very curious to hear from others about how it should properly be done.

Loepsie
May 7th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I've tried combing it too, but it was indeed very violent, to both the brush and the comb xD I'm going to have to try the vacuum cleaner, that sounds like it could work =P

Ozzie
May 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I have the same problem! I usually just try to brush it out with a comb but it's not effective enough.

krissykins
May 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I've just started using a BBB, so this is all new to me. But I run a fine tooth comb between every row of the brush. Then I rinse it with warm water, put the bristles in baking soda mixed with water for thirty seconds or so, then rinse, then run the comb between rows again.

I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere, let's see if I can find it!

ETA: Here's one thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54918)that I found. I had another in mind though, just can't seem to find it. Oh well! Hope that gives you more ideas :)

jaine
May 7th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah ... shampoo and a fine-tooth comb worked for me. (comb it while it's wet and shampooed)

Then leave it to air dry all day, with the bristles facing downward on a towel.

Madora
May 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Check this out:

http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKimball/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?TID=_MilesKimball&CID=MKHealthandBeauty&SCID=MKBeautyandGroomingAids&CollectionID=DC0001971

I've been using one of these hair rakes for more than 40 years. They are a godsend!

littlenvy
May 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I take the lazy way out :) and I put a nice square of gauze at the bottom of my brushes.
Basically, you take a square piece of gauze put it on top of your brush and then take another brush and push the gauze down as far as you can with the bristles of the other brush. Don't worry if it doesn't go all the way down, it will happen once you start to brush your hair.
Then once it gets dirty, which totally depends on how often you brush, I just lift out the square and all the fluff, dust, dirt and hair come off with it. Your brush bottom always stays super clean. :cheese:
However; you still have to wash it to get the oil out. But it cuts down your work a lot and it doesn't pull out bristles like combing does.

Loepsie
May 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks a lot! I'll try combing it again, more gently this time, and then I think I'll try the gauze. Lazy way is my way =P

jojo
May 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I have a mason pearson BBB and it has its own little brush to help clean. I clean mine every 2 days by first removing the hairs and particles and then I fill a jug with warm water and a bit of shampoo and swish the brush around in it and then rinse and leave to dry naturally.

frizzinator
May 8th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I agree with Jojo.

The little cleaning brush is similar to a nylon bristle brush. It has some space between the clumps of bristles, therefore it may not be as agressive as an ordinary hair brush.

This little brush is used to dry clean the bbb. But first I use a rat tail comb to pry the hair out from between the rows of bristles, then I dry clean the bbb with the little brush. The idea is to get as much dust out as possible, and I think it works best to clean the bbb with a scubbing motion. Scrubbing in every direction.

If the bbb is not clean enough after throughly dry cleaning the bbb, I use the little brush to scrub the bbb with soapy water (Dawn), then I throughly rinse the bbb and let air dry.

dinnee
May 9th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I have a brush to clean my dancing shoes and I use the gauge trick on that one. :) I use a nylon gauge, just a cheap nylon sock (called panty in Dutch haha) from where ever. It works really well and after, you only have to run your brush through some soapy water to get the oil off.

Just put your brush in the sock and press until the bristles poke through the nylon. Then tie a knot in the nylon to keep it in place and volá! All you got to do to remove the dirt is untie the knot and pull off the sock. The dirt will come right along with it.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Do any of your BBB's ever smell burnt?? I know mine did... I washed it with baby shampoo and warm water and it got most of the smell out... but still =/

angelthadiva
July 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Check this out:

http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKimball/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?TID=_MilesKimball&CID=MKHealthandBeauty&SCID=MKBeautyandGroomingAids&CollectionID=DC0001971

I've been using one of these hair rakes for more than 40 years. They are a godsend!

Have you been using the exact same set for 40 years? If yes, I bet that was the best hair care related purchase ever made!

I also clean mine out with a wide tooth comb, the a fine toothed comb. The base is wooden, so I didn't want to fully emerge it in water. I've never smelled mine, but I am curious as to what it might smell like...

Madora
July 3rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
@angelthadiva..

Yes, the same one..for decades. Still going strong! I use it every day. Works great and easy to clean too! I think it cost all of $3.00 way back then!

angelthadiva
July 4th, 2011, 07:26 AM
@angelthadiva..

Yes, the same one..for decades. Still going strong! I use it every day. Works great and easy to clean too! I think it cost all of $3.00 way back then!

Wow, well I think it is safe to say that was $3 well spent :flower: