PDA

View Full Version : A little help

Elph
May 7th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I have had my curly hair now for a few weeks and love it. Question to the curlies though what do you use for curl definition and help with detangling?

irishlady
May 7th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Hey,

I'm a wavy, but my mother has curly red hair between APL and BSL.

She detangles her hair when it's wet, to avoid it frizzing up if she did it when it's dry.

She also uses a coney serum that she scrunches into her hair when damp or dry to make it look smoother.

Another thing she does is simply just leaving it to largely dry on it's own, she does dry it a bit with a diffuser, but only until damp, she find that if she lets it air-dry the curls are more defined and a lot less frizzy :)

celebriangel
May 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Going conefree means my curls aren't weighed down at all, so that works well for me. I detangle while there's conditioner in my hair, apply coconut oil while slightly damp, and otherwise air-dry. Choosing the correct Shampoo and Contitioner, as well as not putting shampoo on the length (plus the coconut oil) prevents frizz and encourages definition for me.

I don't touch it after the detangling with conditioner,not even when it's dry - I braid dry. Then next day, I have nice 2c curls. I then comb as normal with a tangle-teezer, which gives me very little "poof" while allowing me to detangle dry and perform an updo. My curls won't be defined if I do that, though I find a redampening and more coconut oil will cause them to define and separate again.

spidermom
May 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM
When my hair was shorter, I'd finger gel through it and then let it dry in the hood of my sweatshirt (hoodie). That really brought out what natural curl I have.

Elph
May 8th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Thanks girls. I allready allow it to air dry and do very little after that. After some research today and discussion with a girlfriend I thought maybe a mixture of almond oil and coconut oil and put that on when damp. Does this sound right???

PrincessBob
May 8th, 2011, 05:09 AM
My curly guy-friend suggests shampoo, condition +de-tangle (he uses a TT), air dry. He does nothing more than that and he has extremely pretty, soft and well defined curls.

HairStickler
May 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM
When my hair was shorter, I'd finger gel through it and then let it dry in the hood of my sweatshirt (hoodie). That really brought out what natural curl I have.

My hair is long and I still let it dry in the hood of my sweatshirt when I want to have curls.

Firefox7275
May 8th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm experimenting with a CurlyGirl-esque routine (see NC.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/) for details) so scrunch in the UK equivalent of Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner when my hair is fairly wet but not dripping. My hair fluffs/ poofs if it's too dry when I apply the leave-in conditioner so no more towel turbans! Oil makes my hair greasy yet not form clumps; my hair is only SL so you might not experience the same.

De-tangling when? I detangle before a hairwash with fingers and a very wide tooth comb, a coney spray only if absolutely necessary; I think the leave-in conditioner helps here. Finger detangle during conditioner-only washing or shampooing depending which I use, then no need to detangle thereafter. I mostly quit SLS and cones a few weeks ago and from the first wash I had more curl definition and less poof/ fluff. :D If you detangle between washes defined curls go frizzy.

spidermom
May 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM
My hair is long and I still let it dry in the hood of my sweatshirt when I want to have curls.

Very cool! Hoodie drying doesn't work for me anymore, mostly because my hair can be in there from first thing in the morning and still be wet at bedtime.

Elph
May 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks girls. I plop and scrunch after washing and I try not to brush, also don't use SLS or cones so I will experiment and see how I go.

HairStickler
May 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Very cool! Hoodie drying doesn't work for me anymore, mostly because my hair can be in there from first thing in the morning and still be wet at bedtime.
I see. I should have added that the hoodie part is the 3rd stage of my drying process, after wrapping it in a pillowcase/turban for a while and then sleeping with it in a weird bun on the top of my head. :p So it is not really sopping wet when I start the hoodie part.