PDA

View Full Version : Ladies: We have neglected the LHC men

akuamoonmaui
May 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM
So I was pulling out of my parking spot today at Costco and stopped for a couple to cross in front of me. The gentleman had BSL hair with fairy tail ends.

:doh:

Can we come up with more fitting terms for our gentlemen?

HeatherJenae
May 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I agree. Our terms are pretty emasculating for a man to use for himself. I work with a guy, he's one of our service tech's so he has to keep his hair up in a hat all day, who has the most gorgeous tailbone length brown hair. He'll let it come tumbling down for me occasionally. It's wavy and very healthy. I'm not sure what the new terms could be. I think our male members should choose for themselves! :)

owlathena
May 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I always feel awkward when I describe a guy's hair as "bra strap length," but I don't now what else to call it. Maybe bottom of shoulder blades?

elbow chic
May 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Mid-back length? and "natural-style" ends? I dunno.

Bene
May 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I don't think it's emasculating at all. IF they were to wear bras, that's where their hair would measure. Are we neglecting our less-endowed sisters by taking their lack of bra-wear into account as well?

jaine
May 6th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I don't think it's emasculating at all. IF they were to wear bras, that's where their hair would measure. Are we neglecting our less-endowed sisters by taking their lack of bra-wear into account as well?

...or our well-endowed sisters who don't need a bra because they do pushups!!! :D

Wanderer09
May 6th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Are mid-back length and BSL the same thing? 'Cause we could use mid-back length instead. ;)

(and I'm female, but I hate bras and don't wear them, so I'm not even entirely sure where a bra strap would fall on me :p)

akuamoonmaui
May 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I don't think it's emasculating at all. IF they were to wear bras, that's where their hair would measure. Are we neglecting our less-endowed sisters for taking their lack of bra-wear into account as well?

Oh, but thank goodness they don't wear bras!! (Ok, there is a humor factor to that thought....) but the point is, they tend to be a masculine, sexy bunch :thumbsup: and should have terms befitting that. There's no disrespect for our smaller sisters because all women can look equally attractive in bras.

HeatherJenae
May 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I'm not sure, maybe terms for the muscles in the back would be more fitting for them. Or LHL? Love handle length. Just kidding! :)

Fingolphin
May 6th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Yeah, for my goal in my profile I have "BSL," only because that seems to be the accepted terminology here. I felt kinda odd putting that, though. Is MBL the same thing?

Carolyn
May 6th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Oh, but thank goodness they don't wear bras!!Oh I don't know about that! I've seen plenty of man boobs that I think should be held up by a bra.

TheBluffs
May 6th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I always feel awkward when I describe a guy's hair as "bra strap length," but I don't now what else to call it. Maybe bottom of shoulder blades?

:lol: That just killed me. I'm a WFR, and in CPR, the nipple line is close to the bra strap.
Nipple Length? :confused:

ouseljay
May 6th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Shoulder-blade length? The bottoms of the shoulder blades are a little higher than the bra strap is supposed to fall, but considering the variation in bra-strap location because of body build and, er, user-error, maybe it's close enough.

akuamoonmaui
May 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Oh I don't know about that! I've seen plenty of man boobs that I think should be held up by a bra.

What do they call those?? Didn't Seinfeld have an episode on that?

Jenna0728
May 6th, 2011, 08:05 PM
What do they call those?? Didn't Seinfeld have an episode on that?

Lol, I do believe that was the 'Bro' that Kramer was trying to sell...

http://tinyurl.com/TheBro

boudica
May 6th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Wing tip length?

lacefrost
May 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM
BSB, I would say: below shoulder blades, which is where bra straps begin.

Roseate
May 6th, 2011, 09:34 PM
BSB is a good one! Mid-back is so vague. Even my short back has a whole bunch of "middle".

akuamoonmaui
May 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM
lacefrost: You look like a movie stah, Dahling! Good suggestion! I'm keeping track for a poll later.

rogue_psyche
May 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM
BSB is a good one! Mid-back is so vague. Even my short back has a whole bunch of "middle".

I like Below Shoulder Blades (BSB). It is more specific than BSL, especially for those of us who need 4 hook bras and don't know if BSL is the top, middle, or bottom of the strap for us.

clichepithet
May 6th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I'm in the Bro' Strap Length camp.

gthlvrmx
May 6th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I agree with BSB :o It makes so much more sense to me...:p
I hate saying bra strap level when i talk to my friends because i dont even wear one or ever did, so how would i exactly know where that is?
And i like mid-back as well, it's accurate.
If it were by muscles, that'd be hilarious! I'd have to tone it up even more though to have a defined picture of where it is!
I go by nipple length too, but i don't like measuring in the front because it seems so much shorter when i pull it to the front. :p
But as a man, i say, i dont really care and i am too lazy to make new measurements for everyone to understand and learn...:p

ilovelonghair
May 7th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I like Below Shoulder Blades (BSB). It is more specific than BSL, especially for those of us who need 4 hook bras and don't know if BSL is the top, middle, or bottom of the strap for us.

I agree, sounds much better than BSL because it has nothing to do with being male or female. Plus it is a bit easier to use as term because bra straps are at a different location for each person.

sweetestpoison
May 7th, 2011, 01:10 AM
How about Bra Strap length, it could be Below Shoulder Blade Length? That's where my bra sits anyways, is right below my shoulder blades. As far as fairy tale ends.. perhaps non-defined hemline? o.O

Fethenwen
May 7th, 2011, 01:32 AM
As I understand it midback length is below BSL.

I also think Below Shoulder Blades sounds very right :)

Konstifik
May 7th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Well, I don't wear bras either, and I'm female. I don't think it's weird to refer it as BSL. I mean, my feet are still size 37, regardless if I wear shoes or not. Men still got breasts and the appropiate bra-strap place if they want to wear a bra.

trolleypup
May 7th, 2011, 03:03 AM
So I was pulling out of my parking spot today at Costco and stopped for a couple to cross in front of me. The gentleman had BSL hair with fairy tail ends.

Can we come up with more fitting terms for our gentlemen?
Heh! This comes up from time to time...and :shrug: There are always good suggestions, but the more appropriate terms never really catch on.

I agree. Our terms are pretty emasculating for a man to use for himself. I work with a guy, he's one of our service tech's so he has to keep his hair up in a hat all day, who has the most gorgeous tailbone length brown hair. He'll let it come tumbling down for me occasionally. It's wavy and very healthy. I'm not sure what the new terms could be. I think our male members should choose for themselves! :)
BSL works for me...of course, I'm at TL/MTL which isn't sex linked. :rolleyes: The thing is, given that the vast majority of the membership is female, the consensus terms generally will be based on female examples, and honestly, there is nothing wrong with that, and if a male is uncomfortable with that, well, this is probably not the forum for him. Not living in the normal male privilege is good exercise for a guy.

And, if you base your self image and self worth on a descriptive term that happens to not quite fit you, you need to sort yourself out.

Are mid-back length and BSL the same thing? 'Cause we could use mid-back length instead. ;)

(and I'm female, but I hate bras and don't wear them, so I'm not even entirely sure where a bra strap would fall on me :p)
While MBL is generally a bit lower than BSL, it is a reasonable term for hair in that general length that doesn't refer to a non-present marker.

Yeah, for my goal in my profile I have "BSL," only because that seems to be the accepted terminology here. I felt kinda odd putting that, though. Is MBL the same thing?
Heh. Every time this comes up, I am tempted to find a bra and take a picture, labeled "Past BSL"!

Oh I don't know about that! I've seen plenty of man boobs that I think should be held up by a bra.
"National Geographic, dude!" (Sorry, that was bad!)

:lol: That just killed me. I'm a WFR, and in CPR, the nipple line is close to the bra strap.
Nipple Length? :confused:
:highfive: for the WFR! WFA is intense enough for me!

Shoulder-blade length? The bottoms of the shoulder blades are a little higher than the bra strap is supposed to fall, but considering the variation in bra-strap location because of body build and, er, user-error, maybe it's close enough.
Mmmhmm! Bottom of Shoulder-blade Length? SBL is like Hip...is it the center points of the shoulder blades, the bottom?

Well, I don't wear bras either, and I'm female. I don't think it's weird to refer it as BSL. I mean, my feet are still size 37, regardless if I wear shoes or not. Men still got breasts and the appropiate bra-strap place if they want to wear a bra.
It doesn't really matter what term is used, so long as most people understand what is being said...BSL/SBL/BSB/MBL, most of these can be figured out fairly easily.

Izae
May 7th, 2011, 03:39 AM
i usually just go for mid back. Although i don't really care for measuring my hair, so mid back length covers quite a lot of my back for me.

Oh, and fairytale ends for the win! I like that term.

florenonite
May 7th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I find this an interesting discussion in that so many terms we use in the world at large assume male as the default gender, and thus the assumption of female as default here is an interesting inversion.

I don't see anything wrong with fairytale ends for men, though. While most men don't wear bras, and thus it is reasonable to associate them with women, to associate fairytale ends with femininity is to reinforce the very gender stereotypes that we as a community reject. There is nothing inherently feminine about the term 'fairytale ends', any more than there is anything inherently feminine in long hair or fishtail braids.

BSB, I would say: below shoulder blades, which is where bra straps begin.

Really? The top of my bra band is a good two inches below my shoulder blades; bottom of shoulder blades is 24" on me, top of BSL is 26". Maybe I'm just oddly-proportioned :p Nevertheless, I do like having a measurement for the bottom of the shoulder blades, for men and women alike, because otherwise the distance from APL to BSL can be quite substantial.

salls
May 7th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I agree that fairy tale ends is a fairly gender neutral term and should be kept, but I do think a shift from bsl to bsb would be a good thing.

Bene
May 7th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I agree that fairy tale ends is a fairly gender neutral term and should be kept, but I do think a shift from bsl to bsb would be a good thing.

Good luck with that. I'd understand a call for gender neutrality if there were something called "Vulva Length", but BSL is fairly harmless. Men can wear bras, and men can roughly gauge a bra strap length on their own bodies.

I'll keep saying BSL. It's not like anyone won't understand what I'm talking about. And, since I haven't seen that length in ages, any sudden changes in terminology won't affect me one way or the other.

Fingolphin
May 7th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I'm in the Bro' Strap Length camp.

I guess I'll go with that business. :)

Fingolphin
May 7th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Good luck with that. I'd understand a call for gender neutrality if there were something called "Vulva Length", but BSL is fairly harmless.

:) That is really funny. Honestly, I'm so used to reading the terms here all the time that I don't really care one way or the other. I probably wouldn't use the term "BSL" to any non-LHCers, though. ;)

jujube
May 7th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I never really understood the use of BSL in the first place. All other lengths are named after actual body parts (and gender-neutral) - chin, shoulder, armpit, waist, hip, etc. Why bra-strap length? My rational mind is confused.

Fingolphin
May 7th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I never really understood the use of BSL in the first place. All other lengths are named after actual body parts (and gender-neutral) - chin, shoulder, armpit, waist, hip, etc. Why bra-strap length? My rational mind is confused.

Not that I have a huge problem with the term, but just an observation: different bras can hit it totally different places on different people.

HeatherJenae
May 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM
In honor of this thread, I went in changed my User CP to show that my length is BSB instead of bra strap length. Woo hoo for gender equality! :)

EdG
May 7th, 2011, 08:19 AM
So I was pulling out of my parking spot today at Costco and stopped for a couple to cross in front of me. The gentleman had BSL hair with fairy tail ends.That description doesn't seem out-of-place to me.

Maybe I've been a member of this board for too long. :lol:
Ed

tigr
May 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I like the term "fairy tale ends". Men are in fairy tales too.

It's not like the term is "Rapunzel ends", after all.

spidermom
May 7th, 2011, 09:16 AM
BSL to me DOES mean "bottom shoulderblade length" because bra straps go over the shoulders, so bra strap length could mean shoulder length all the way to bottom of shoulderblades.

Fairy tale ends could also be tapering or uneven ends (on a guy).

There's a long-haired guy who goes to the health club about the same time in the morning that I do. He has a hip-length ponytail that kind of reminds me of a tattered flag. I wonder if he rides a motorcycle.

terpentyna
May 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I like "bottom shoulder blade length ".

akuamoonmaui
May 7th, 2011, 11:33 AM
That description doesn't seem out-of-place to me.

Maybe I've been a member of this board for too long. :lol:
Ed

It did to me because only a rare few men prefer to wear bras, and fairy tales always remind me of ultra feminine or little girl stories. I thought of it this way, if I walked up to him (I wouldn't, but humor me here....) and said, "Oh! Your bra strap length hair with fairy tale ends is so healthy!" He'd probably think I was offending his masculinity or perhaps implying something about his sexual preference.

Those two terms just seem too far to the Y chromosome to be representative of the long hair community. Just sayin', I'm not trying to raise anybody's ire, here. :yinyang:

meumar
May 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Ya I think BSL is fine, but I'm a woman too like the majority here - maybe the men can take a vote or something! It would be great to encourage more men to participate here as I find long haired men very sexy!!!!

karenpetal
May 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I am cool with using any of the regular terminologies used for describing !! whoever found the need to coin a term gets it their way ;) - rest should with the flow !!

We cant go back and change what a rose is called :) Also if we decide to change terms there would way too many
Bra-Strap Length
Fairy Tale
Heidi Braid
Milkmaid braid ....

Fingolphin
May 7th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I don't understand what is "feminine" about the term "fairy tale." Do we or are we supposed to only read fairy tales to little girls?

May
May 7th, 2011, 03:00 PM
How about chest length? :p

Coan-Teen
May 7th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Honestly I thought for a long time BSL meant below shoulder length, as in past the ends of the shoulder blades. ::shrugs:: I think it's a general enough term. I also agree fairy tales are not gender specific, particularly since they were originally for adults of both genders.

I posit that using BSL to mean either bra strap length or below shoulder (blade) length per one's own preference is fine and wouldn't require anyone to redo their signatures/profiles/memorized lengths. Just take it to mean what you'd like it to mean. The acronym is still functional that way.

Pierre
May 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I don't understand what is "feminine" about the term "fairy tale." Do we or are we supposed to only read fairy tales to little girls?
Beats me. If there are banshees, there must be fershees too, right? (bean sidhe, fear sidhe = woman fairy, man fairy)

EdG
May 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM
It did to me because only a rare few men prefer to wear bras, and fairy tales always remind me of ultra feminine or little girl stories. I thought of it this way, if I walked up to him (I wouldn't, but humor me here....) and said, "Oh! Your bra strap length hair with fairy tale ends is so healthy!" He'd probably think I was offending his masculinity or perhaps implying something about his sexual preference.

Those two terms just seem too far to the Y chromosome to be representative of the long hair community. Just sayin', I'm not trying to raise anybody's ire, here. :yinyang:I think of the terms BSL and "fairy tale ends" as jargon. LHC is similar to a lot of communities in that we have developed our own jargon, which can be quite incomprehensible to people outside of the community. :cheese:
Ed

Speckla
May 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Bro strap length?

akuamoonmaui
May 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I guess if it ain't broke, then don't fix it! :agree: