PDA

View Full Version : So I'm going blonde in a few weeks

Michiru
May 6th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I went to the salon for a consultation with some pictures thinking on getting some honey blonde highlights. Well the pictures were a bit different then my hair, I'm brown with some sun highlights and henna at the bottom, so she said that she would have to do an overall color and then put in a second blond for highlight to give it some depth. I'm in school in FL and this place was ranked the best. I'm not one of those people who hate hairdressers (or I wouldn't have gone). When I asked how damaged my hair would be she said that it wouldn't be to bad since I'm not going too light.

For those who also dye their hair, has the condition been worse? Is it thinner in the long run? What about straighter? (I like waves if I can help it) Did you do a gloss? She said we might do that. I'm not really sure what is in that. The appointment is on the 20th: Is there anything special I should do to my hair to prepare it. How about after? I'm told this will take 3 hours.

Is there any way to put pics from my desktop on to here with out having to go to photobucket first. I'm trying to put up some current pics but don't see any button that will work.

jaine
May 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Bleaching over henna worries me ... does your hair stylist know about the henna? How much henna is in your hair and was it glosses or full applications?
Henna doesn't usually come out when hair is bleached ... there's a possibility that the henna'd hair would become orange when it's bleached, instead of blonde.

Michiru
May 6th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Yes, we talked about the henna. It's just on the last few inches of my hair. I've heard from her and another stylist that it will just remain the color it is now.

alyanna
May 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hi,
Although I have fine and thin hair, I have never really had *major* issues with split ends. I mean, obviously, the very ends are usually a bit frayed, but it hasn't been a problem particularly.

Until I got highlights. I didn't even get an overall color and I only started highlighting in 2008. I've kept my hair short until now.

I have never experienced the dryness and the damage that I have since highlighting. The change in texture (straw-like, more porous, less spiraly curls) and dullness of the color after a (short) while was astounding. Luckily, my hair was short.

Although, if I were to go back to short hair, I would definitely color it because I just think it's too dull otherwise, but I wouldn't repeat the experience on long hair EVER. Just my opinion ;)

kwaniesiam
May 6th, 2011, 07:40 PM
If you're lightening your hair and have henna on the ends, it will turn orange. Very very orange. I've put bleach on top of henna before, it's nearly impossible to fully remove. Be prepared that you may have to have that portion cut off.

Lianna
May 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I wasn't gonna say anything but bleaching henna is very possible. I've done it three times!

I can do a lot of bad things to my hair and it doesn't damage, but I can't say that to you because that's a personal thing, your hair is different than mine (and everyone else's). My best advice would be strand test.

racrane
May 6th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I suppose all I can say is I highlighted blonde once and regretted it. My hair was shoulder length and was NEVER so dry and crunchy as when it had color. I am pampering it more now that I know what to do, but the new growth is so much better than the fried ends. I know everyone else has warned you about the henna, so please be careful.

NouvelleNymphe2
May 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM
To preface this warning, I have very soft very fine hair that is surprisingly strong. I have highlighted before, and for me it was kind a viscous cycle of chemical coloration to enter into. I have ashy brown hair with natural gold-blonde highlights and after subtly highlighting (not even an all over bleach/color change) there was always obvious regrowth. Once I got a bit of regrowth I had to go back in to re-highlight, and eventually I always ended up with thinner, straighter, straw hair, and then chop! Never Ever Ever Again. So glad those days are over. :)

Kathie
May 6th, 2011, 11:20 PM
My understanding is that a gloss doesn’t add or remove any color- it’s supposed to make your hair more shiny.

You could prepare your hair for bleaching by doing a heavy coconut oiling so that she applies the bleach over the coconut oil. The only problem is that you will have oily hair when you turn up to the hairdressers.