PDA

View Full Version : A Hair Comment in an Odd Situation

Nicole.Amina
June 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Yesterday at work (I work as a cashier at a supermarket) I was scanning a customer's groceries so I wasn't really watching him. When I looked up, he looked angry and he started throwing some of his groceries into his cart. At this point I am so confused because I didn't know why he was upset, so I just kept scanning his groceries. I finish up, he pays, I give him his receipt and before he leaves he smiles and says "I like your hair" and walks away.

I couldn't decide if I should be perturbed or flattered! :confused:

Just thought I'd share.

lora410
June 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Ok, major weirdo you had there :lol:

chrissy-b
June 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM
How weird. Maybe he was jealous and that's why he got flustered.

Fillette
June 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Strange dude :hmm: Maybe he was just having a bad day...
The important thing is that you got a hair compliment. Hehe... I am a sucker for compliments.

ladystar
June 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Maybe he was having a bad day and your hair made him smile. =)

Nicole.Amina
June 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Maybe he was having a bad day and your hair made him smile. =)
That's what I want to believe... haha.

I am a sucker for compliments.
As am I :D

LynnM
June 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Yesterday at work (I work as a cashier at a supermarket) I was scanning a customer's groceries so I wasn't really watching him. When I looked up, he looked angry and he started throwing some of his groceries into his cart. At this point I am so confused because I didn't know why he was upset, so I just kept scanning his groceries. I finish up, he pays, I give him his receipt and before he leaves he smiles and says "I like your hair" and walks away.

I couldn't decide if I should be perturbed or flattered! :confused:

Just thought I'd share.

As a cashier at a grocery store myself (Trader Joe's! Woohoo!), I might add that perhaps his frustration had nothing to do with YOU, but perhaps due to his store experience - he forgot to pick up an item, maybe you were going slow, or maybe something else was bothering him altogether? Sometimes customers have other things on their mind... :shrug:

Although I agree, any hair compliment is good!! :)

wintersun99
June 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Nicole.Amina
June 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
As a cashier at a grocery store myself (Trader Joe's! Woohoo!), I might add that perhaps his frustration had nothing to do with YOU, but perhaps due to his store experience - he forgot to pick up an item, maybe you were going slow, or maybe something else was bothering him altogether? Sometimes customers have other things on their mind... :shrug:

I understand that, but my confusion came from the fact that he was pleasant when I started the order, became upset (I think he was having problems with the bags, but I would have given him paper if he asked...) and then was plesant when he left. He did a complete turn around within 2 minutes!

LynnM
June 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I understand that, but my confusion came from the fact that he was pleasant when I started the order, became upset (I think he was having problems with the bags, but I would have given him paper if he asked...) and then was plesant when he left. He did a complete turn around within 2 minutes!

That does sound bizarre!! Maybe he didn't mean to get upset?

In my experience, bags/bagging issues seem to bother people more than they should! heh! :confused:

purplebubba
June 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
It's possible that he could have been arguing with himself over whether or not to compliment you.

Or perhaps someone he knows had long hair and cut it and he's mad at them.

Or he could have been mad that he forgot to do something or still has things to do.

Or any possible reason that might have nothing to do with you and that's why he decided to say something nice to not make you feel bad.

I'm glad that he did end it on a positive.

Isilme
June 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM
maybe he complimented you on your hair and you didn't hear it the first time? Could happen to anyone.

jojo
June 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
whatever was going on in his head, you got a hair compliment....go girl!

walkinglady
June 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I have a feeling his being upset was completely seperate from his experience with you. More than likely he started thinking about a negative thing that happened that day or recently in his life. Maybe he remembered one more thing he had to do in his already hectic day. Obviously your lovely hair helped distract his thoughts, good for him and good for you!

Curlsgirl
June 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
It takes all kinds!!! Congrats on the hair compliment though! (the main thing) :D

yogachic
June 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Was your hair rubbing on his groceries?

I was at walmart doing grocery shopping of my own last week, and I seen a cashier, checking out someones groceries, her hair was waist length. She had it all down, and it was totally in her face, all over the food she was scanning, in the bags she was putting the groceries in. I was kind of appauled. She should tie her hair up for work.

aprilmay
June 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Nearly impossible to figure out other people! Some are sarcastic, some are jerks, and some just don't know how to interact socially.

purplebubba
June 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM

I was at walmart doing grocery shopping of my own last week, and I seen a cashier, checking out someones groceries, her hair was waist length. She had it all down, and it was totally in her face, all over the food she was scanning, in the bags she was putting the groceries in. I was kind of appauled. She should tie her hair up for work.

Not only for those reasons but if there's a conveyor belt her hair could get caught in it.

bte
June 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I think Purplebubba is right - I bet his GF had cut hers and he was mad about it - still you got a compliment!

Pegasus Marsters
June 18th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Anyone else think he could have some kind of mental illness (Depression, bipolar, something like that) that makes his moods swing fast?

goldenwaves
June 18th, 2008, 01:31 AM
What on earth? Maybe he was in a bad mood and you lightened his day :). Just tell yourself that, anyway...I'm a check-out chick too, and you do get some weird people!

Nicole.Amina
June 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM
maybe he complimented you on your hair and you didn't hear it the first time? Could happen to anyone.

He hadn't said anything to me until "I like your hair" =/

My hair just about brushes my shoulders lol

Anyone else think he could have some kind of mental illness (Depression, bipolar, something like that) that makes his moods swing fast?
That was one of my first thoughts...

Loreyanne_H
June 18th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Maybe your strange dude has only had a bad hair week...or year!

Mrs. K
June 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I think he thought you were totally gorgeous :bigeyes: and wanted to talk to you and maybe ask you out :love: . He was mad :rant: because he was flustered and afraid to say anything :scared: :couch:. In the end he got up the courage to compliment your hair :inlove: .

Nicole.Amina
June 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I think he thought you were totally gorgeous :bigeyes: and wanted to talk to you and maybe ask you out :love: . He was mad :rant: because he was flustered and afraid to say anything :scared: :couch:. In the end he got up the courage to compliment your hair :inlove: .

:rollin:
The only problem with your scenario was that he was old enough to be my grandfather.... haha!!