PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Keratin!

braidedbeauty
May 6th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Okay so I haven't really been on LHC that long and something I've noticed is that no one has mentioned anything about keratin straightening also known as Brazilian straightening. Of course I realize that just about everyone here is going clean of any kind of straightening but I was just curious if anyone had done it before or has it now just to see how popular it is. I had keratin done to my hair about 2 years ago and I never saw even an ounce of damage from it and it did really help my hair.

For those of you who are not familiar with keratin straightening here is a link to explain what it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_hair_straightening

Avital88
May 6th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I remember it was mentioned before, i wanted to do this aswell but then i hear some bad things about it,like the damage comes later and it breaks eventually,so i was scared to do it.
I'm happy you say you didnt had any damage,i want my hair pokerstraight and thats a way to get it..

Lianna
May 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Check out this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35126) thread. :)

alwayssmiling
May 6th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I nearly did this (being a complete frizz merchant) but the lady who told me about it is having massive breakage now. I think is all that running the straightener over and over to seal the keratin in within time breaks the hair. I'm soooo glad I didn't go down that road. I've learned to control my hair naturally and I like it.

akuamoonmaui
May 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Last week I used the Organix (30 day Brazilian Keratin sumsuch) product (see current avatar), although it didn't last past the first shampoo I love what it's done for my hair. I followed the instructions to the letter, except I don't know what temp my flat iron is and waited the 48 hours. I used the system shampoo/conditioner but alas, the curls are back. But better! My hair is so much smoother and my ends feel healthier and stronger. I love the 'poo and co, that goes with it. I think I'll be buying it as a treatment, no biggie that my hair won't be straight (it was a fun idea, but I do love my wurlie-curlies).

Mesmerise
May 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I really REALLY wanted to do this, and the only thing that stopped me last year was the cost lol. However, after finding LHC and reading a lot of negative stuff about it, I've decided not to go that route. It's not worth it for the long term health and appearance of my hair!

MrsGuther
May 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I would definitely be too scared of the risk of all my hair breaking off or falling out from the damage to try that... :(

ghilliegirl_an
May 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
The hairdresser that my mom and I go to actually mentioned this to her once and she was very interested in it. I did some research on it and found out it's not just damaging to hair but it contains dangerous levels of formaldehyde that are released during the straightening process and can continue to emit low levels of formaldehyde while it remains in your hair. Here is a link to the Canadian health department which has sent out a warning on it and other similar chemical hair straightening products http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2011/2011_56-eng.php. Many people reported good results from the 1st treatment but serious damage after repeated treatments though as always this varies from person to person. I personally would never use it after hearing the problems it can cause, although the levels of exposure to the recipient of the treatment may not always be harmful the hairdressers that routinely perform this are in danger of higher exposure. As always people may form whatever opinion they choose but it's always good to be informed :)

-Ashley

kwaniesiam
May 6th, 2011, 09:37 PM
The newer versions of this product are being made without formaldehyde after it was found to be too risky for the stylists being exposed to it so frequently.

That said, any form of chemically altering your natural texture, be it the keratin straightening, permanent waving (perms), relaxers, or thermal ionic straightening are going to cause damage. These products work by breaking down the bonds in your hair and reforming them in to the new texture. In the case of perms, the bonds are reformed around the rod that creates the curl. In the case of straightening, the blowing out and ironing process seal the bonds straight and destroy the natural curl. As the bonds are broken and not able to fully reform, the hair shaft is significantly weakened and over time will be more prone to breakage and split ends, dryness, and other issues associated with damaged hair.