PDA

View Full Version : Bun wearers - how often do you use these methods?

shikara
May 5th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I'm wondering if there are many people who regularly either: pony their hair before bunning, or criss-cross bobby pins to use as an 'anchor'. Apparently they won't budge this way.

krissykins
May 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I haven't tried the bobby pins thing, but I have done the ponytail thing before.

ETA: I do the ponytail thing very rarely. I try not to use elastics when possible.

Jean Stuart
May 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I have never used the criss cros pins... Maybe I should learn thst method. Sometimes I ponytail with elastic, sometimes I just wing it without the elastic.

mrs carol
May 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I put my hair in a ponytail then wrap it round to anchor my bun.

danaj421
May 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I've never used the bobby pin method & don't like the damage from elastics (even the hair friendly ones). I usually just wrap it up and secure it with a hair fork or some sticks.

Lianna
May 5th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I've using ponytails since I could, I make one nearly everyday (almost APL now). My buns always start with a ponytail too. I only use bobby pins to clip my bangs sometimes, I can't criss-cross though, always looks crooked or slides after a while.

ETA: Are you asking if we have damage from it also? I don't but my hair apparently is very strong (it's bleached/dyed too).

Joribear
May 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I will admit - I am so lazy when it comes to making my buns.....

First off, let me say, bobby pins hate me. I know, I know, you're sitting there saying that bobby pins are inanimate objects and therefore cannot have any feelings, especially feelings towards me, a mere hair mortal, who bought them. However, I am telling you, bobby pins HATE me... H.A.T.E. me.... If I so much as start to reach for a bobby pin, they scatter into the wind and fall off counters and fall into the nearest body of water (toilet). If, by some miracle amidst my Charlie Chaplin-esque (you young folk go google him....) attempts to wrestle with a bobby pin, I'm actually able to capture a pin, as I stick it in my hair with a triumphant HOOAH! (you non-army folk, go google that one!) and smile smugly in the mirror, the pin jumps out and commits suicide by drowning in the nearest body of water (toilet, again...).

So yeah, I don't use the criss-cross bobby pin method. I kind of use the ponytail method, but that's not quite lazy enough for me..

I use the ponytail and I-don't-feel-like-messing-with-anything-else (http://www.amazon.com/SCUNCI-Magic-Bun-Tortoise-1pk/dp/B002UL91P2) method. AKA the scunci magic bun.

pixi_stix
May 5th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I start with a ponytail if my hair is refusing to cooperate without. I haven't tried the criss cross pins yet

psychobilly5
May 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Pony tail but haven't tried crisscross method yet. Bobbie pins hate me too.

summerjade
May 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I don't use the pony tail because my hair is fine and damages very easily even with fine elastics. I don't use the criss cross bobby pins either because they pull my hair and come out or fall someway or another. I just twist it and stick a fork in it or a stick or two and it usually stays up well.

ElusiveMuse
May 5th, 2011, 08:27 PM
For some reason my hair actually does not like to cooperate when I ponytail and then try to bun. And I've never heard of the criss-cross bobby pin thing.

kd did
May 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Newbie here-I seriously need info on this scuni magic bun item!:joy:

mira-chan
May 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I don't use bobby pins for anything other than holding down stray short hairs and ponytails destabilize my buns as my hair doesn't bend back well post ponytail holder as it is coarse.

Braided bun with three smallish claw clips is my current "survive a hurricane" bun style.

Joribear
May 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Newbie here-I seriously need info on this scuni magic bun item!:joy:

Click the link. I found my first one in a grocery store (yeah, how crazy is that???). I have a habit of losing hair toys, so the next time I saw them at Claire's, I bought all 5 of them. I'm down to just two now. :(

Anje
May 5th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Neither. But I first arrived here with major ponytail breakage, so I generally avoid elastics there.

kd did
May 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks Joribear! I will keep an eye out for one of these!

jil
May 5th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I wear some type of bun everyday, and I do not use either of these methods. I don't like the way my hair feels (maybe it's my scalp?) after it has been in a ponytail for a few hours. I use U-pins to secure the bun. :)

growingpains
May 5th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I use ponytails, though I shouldn't. My problem is I am no experienced enough in updos to go sans elastic at this point. In fact, despite having hair long enough to do updos almost all my life, I can only do two buns and they are almost identical ;(

Remyy
May 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I never use an elastic for a bun. I think buns have a much nicer fuller shape when they aren't wrapped around an elastic, I can't really explain why. Plus using an elastic defeats the purpose of putting hair in a bun to avoid damage!

I've also never done the bobbypin thing, but I imagine that being better than using an elastic.

gthlvrmx
May 5th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I do neither. Just wrap my hair and slap a scrunchie on there.

Aliped
May 5th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I don't use either a pony tail or bobby pins. I only use sticks or a fork. I get breakage even from "hair friendly" elastics.

HintOfMint
May 5th, 2011, 09:47 PM

First off, let me say, bobby pins hate me. I know, I know, you're sitting there saying that bobby pins are inanimate objects and therefore cannot have any feelings, especially feelings towards me, a mere hair mortal, who bought them. However, I am telling you, bobby pins HATE me... H.A.T.E. me.... If I so much as start to reach for a bobby pin, they scatter into the wind and fall off counters and fall into the nearest body of water (toilet). If, by some miracle amidst my Charlie Chaplin-esque (you young folk go google him....) attempts to wrestle with a bobby pin, I'm actually able to capture a pin, as I stick it in my hair with a triumphant HOOAH! (you non-army folk, go google that one!) and smile smugly in the mirror, the pin jumps out and commits suicide by drowning in the nearest body of water (toilet, again...).

So yeah, I don't use the criss-cross bobby pin method. I kind of use the ponytail method, but that's not quite lazy enough for me..

I use the ponytail and I-don't-feel-like-messing-with-anything-else (http://www.amazon.com/SCUNCI-Magic-Bun-Tortoise-1pk/dp/B002UL91P2) method. AKA the scunci magic bun.

I'm laughing my tushy off at the thought of Charlie Chaplin wrestling with a bobby pin! He's my favorite slapstick comedian.

ravenreed
May 5th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I do a ponytail first when I have a hair toy that likes to fall out, such as my Titanic butterfly comb, or if I am trying to do even double buns. It is easier for me to start with two even ponytails and then make the buns than to try to get two buns even right off the bat.

cowgirllong
May 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I almost never pony before bunning. Only if I am doing something like a chinese bun.

sarahbrownie
May 5th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Oh, I pony before I bun if I want it to be super secure. Usually when I bun I twist and hold with a bobbin pin or a hair clip (yes, I can bun with just one hair pin) but these are for non-class days.

musicallberrii
May 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM

You are hilarious! lol

aksown
May 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I bun nearly every day but I only use elastics for certain ones. My go-to buns of the day are a Celtic Knot and Spidermom's Bun, secured with a Ketylo. Neither of them need additional anchorage.

squintinschool
May 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I start with a ponytail for vortex buns, and that's about it. I prefer not using a ponytail though, as when I do so, it somehow pulls more (especially on the hairs at the front of my head) than if I start with just gathering my hair up.

Joribear
May 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I'm laughing my tushy off at the thought of Charlie Chaplin wrestling with a bobby pin! He's my favorite slapstick comedian.

You are hilarious! lol

If my stupidity and ineptitude can make people laugh, all is good! :)

angela123
May 5th, 2011, 10:47 PM
a sock bun!!! i love it!

Lee's Girl
May 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I'll admit, I'm not real great with updos. I spent years with short hair (chin-length or shorter) so I usually do a ponytail then wrap/bun it. The only way I even know how to do a bun is with a ponytail base - but then, I can't even braid my own hair easily (tends to come out all crazy looking) so I guess it shouldn't shock me...

HairColoredHair
May 5th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I don't pony first, it actually makes the bun stick out more for me, which can make it more obnoxious. I can't use bobby pins, either, my hair either eats them or spits them back out, even crossed...

Sundial
May 5th, 2011, 11:25 PM
How do you use criss cross bobby pins for buns? I know people use them to pouf bangs and pin them in place but I haven't heard of them being used in buns:confused:

In any case, I bun without using either of those methods. I think I may have to use an elastic for Chinese buns but I haven't gotten round to trying because my hair is probably still too short for it

GRU
May 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Never and never.

I make my buns with a twist-wrap-hairstick method, no need for a ponytail. :D

Can't remember the last time I used a plain old bobbypin -- Spin Pins for the win! :thumbsup:

Joribear
May 5th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Never and never.

I make my buns with a twist-wrap-hairstick method, no need for a ponytail. :D

Can't remember the last time I used a plain old bobbypin -- Spin Pins for the win! :thumbsup:

Ohhh! I completely forgot about the Spin Pins! I love them for how well they hold my hair, but can't seem to get them to keep the bun nice and smooth! Any suggestions?

tigereye
May 6th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I sometimes do the ponytail, sometimes don't. I often do braided buns and if the top is in a ponytail it can annoy me, so I just comb it up into place and start braiding. I don't use the bobby pin thing. I normally do well enough with a hairstick or Pencil to hold it. Besides, if you have it in a braided bun,then you just pull out the pencil, and there is nothing else to do the it before bed.

GRU
May 6th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Ohhh! I completely forgot about the Spin Pins! I love them for how well they hold my hair, but can't seem to get them to keep the bun nice and smooth! Any suggestions?

Have you SEEN my hair? I wouldn't know "nice and smooth" if it hit me upside the head! :lol:

Sorry, I'm no help at all..... :)

darklion
May 6th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I usually just wing-it with my hair. twist, wrap, use stick. wrap around the tree, and thread through the rabbit hole... twist in stick.
I'm done.

GRU
May 6th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I usually just wing-it with my hair. twist, wrap, use stick. wrap around the tree, and thread through the rabbit hole... twist in stick.
I'm done.

Isn't that how you tie a Windsor knot? :D

Fethenwen
May 6th, 2011, 12:49 AM
No, I never use anything of that when doing buns. Buns for me are a way to protect my hair, I don't want anything damaging in them.

pepperminttea
May 6th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I don't ponytail before buns, it gives me a headache, I avoid styles that start with one. As for bobby pins in an X-pattern; I don't know whether I'm terminally idiotic, but I just can't get them to stay. I stick with spin pins. :p

wandlimb
May 6th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I nearly always put my hair in a ponytail first or it just slips out.

Phexlyn
May 6th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I start with a ponytail if
a) the bun I want to do requires a firm base
b) my hair is a bit oily and likely to show unwanted cleavage
Probably less than 1/3 of the time I wear buns. I do get damage from the ponytail, but I can put off washing an extra day by doing it which means less fussing all in all.

I only use bobby pins if I want the front section to look special, but I don't use the pins for anchoring the bun.

jasper
May 6th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Pony tails: rare-ish for me. If I am bored or hve time n my hands I may try a style that starts with a tail.

Bobby pins crossed: never tried this.

Elysium
May 6th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I always put my hair in a ponytail first, it won't stay put otherwise.
I usually wear sock buns like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y
My hair is too short and thin and wimpy to look good in a bun without the sock to give it volume.

Chetanlaiho
May 6th, 2011, 04:31 AM
For me ponytailing would kind of defeat the purpose (for me a bun is a hairfriendly way of keeping it up) but I haven't tried the bobbypin thing yet ^_^

Bonny
May 6th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Oh, I pony before I bun if I want it to be super secure. Usually when I bun I twist and hold with a bobbin pin or a hair clip (yes, I can bun with just one hair pin) but these are for non-class days.

I also pony before I bun for a super secure bun. That's usually on ballet class days, where I do the whole nine yards: elastic for the pony, spin pins, hairnet.

For flamenco class, where there isn't as much turning and spotting, I usually don't need the extra security of the pony elastic. For non-dance days, I just clip with a Ficcare or secure with hairsticks, or use the spin pins without the pony elastic.

Joribear
May 6th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Have you SEEN my hair? I wouldn't know "nice and smooth" if it hit me upside the head! :lol:

Sorry, I'm no help at all..... :)

LOL True, true! A girl can always hope, tho! :)

Madora
May 6th, 2011, 07:15 AM
No crossed pins for me. Not good for your hair!

No ponytail holders either, unless there is no other way to contain the hair.

If I have to pony, I use a small barrette. Usually, however, I divide my bun into two or more sections.

One section is either braided - or twisted - and then that section is coiled in a bun shape, pinning all the way. The second section is finished in the same way.

I prefer buns that distribute the weight..not those styles that stick out like doorknobs. I also prefer my buns near the crown and not drooping near the nape.

Theobroma
May 6th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I'm wondering if there are many people who regularly either: pony their hair before bunning, or criss-cross bobby pins to use as an 'anchor'. Apparently they won't budge this way.

I never do either. Bobby pins eat my hair, and I prefer to steer clear of elastics as well. It's the main reason why I rarely do a Gibson Tuck or a fully-rolled sock bun.

Paranda Belle
May 6th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I never use the bobby pins, but sometimes pnytail depending on what bun I'm doing. If it's a rope braid bun or a bun with multiple strands then I ponytail. If it's a plain English braid bun or a twisty cinnabun then I dont.

Sometimes if I need to hold my hair together whilst bunning I tie it with a ribbon in a slip knot and then undo the ribbon when I've done the bun.

bumblebums
May 6th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I find pony tails, bunned or otherwise, to be really uncomfortable, so I never pony before bunning. If I don't want my bun to budge, I use a three-prong fork or two hair sticks, or two Amish pins. The buns stay.

Bene
May 6th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Never, for either or. I rely soley on sticks or forks, or the occasional Ficarre used in stick-style insertion.

My bunning skills are that good :D

QMacrocarpa
May 6th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I start with a pony sometimes, for instance for the Cheater's Easy Hairstick Bun and the sock bun. I have no idea how the crossed bobby pins thing works, but my hair laughs at bobby pins so I never use them for anything structural, just maybe coping with sag-on-the-side if I don't want to redo my bun to correct it.

Alix
May 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I just twist my hair and wrap an elastic around it, it holds pretty solid in a messy bun.

When I do a neat bun, I'll ussually anchor it with a ponytail since that is easiest, though I can anchor it with pins.

elbow chic
May 6th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I do the ponytail thing pretty regularly-- if I do a bun using only hairsticks or spin pins, I wind up having to re-do it at least a few times before bed. Hoping that more length will someday mean less ponytailing.

wimitlee
May 6th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I've only learned one bun so far that I like and it uses both a ponytail and bobby pins: a flower bun(see avatar).

trolleypup
May 6th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Too lazy to use pins or ponytail. Stick and wrap and self secure. Redo after 1 to 8 hours (redoing takes 30 sec or less). Lacking a stick, self secured bee butt (very rarely, usually takes a few quick tries to get it secure).

braidedbeauty
May 6th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have used the criss-cross method but I very rarely use an elastic when I bun.

spidermom
May 6th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Neither. I usually just form the bun and stab it to the back of my head with sticks or fork.

eshta
May 6th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I never use bobby pins and only ponytail for sock buns, but I can't make braided buns yet. Once all the layers are gone that might change. If I want a super secure bun I'll use 3 amish pins to hold it up, that never fails.

Lianna
May 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Plus using an elastic defeats the purpose of putting hair in a bun to avoid damage!

Not quite, the hair is still contained which means less tangles, isn't brushing on your clothes or things, getting caught in chairs/bag straps, the ends are still hidden/protected (if your bun choose so), if you damp bun, you're still "retaining more moisture". Bunning isn't just about avoiding elastics. I often wear sticks/forks with the elastic.

Like I said, I always wore some sort of "pony holder", my hair just looks better this way and more secure. Maybe when my hair is longer I can give it up, but since my favorite bun is the braided bun I think I'll sometimes secure a pony first.

tyrant1100
May 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I use a ponytail to anchor cinnabuns and split buns only. They're a given with sock buns. Bobby pins and I don't get along at all. My hair is fine enough to catch in the seams of the little rubbery things on the tips of them, no matter how new the pin is. They also slip out with no provocation at all.

Scarlet_Heart
May 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
never heard of the criss-cross bobby pin thing, but I pony my hair before I braid-bun. I don't do it for other buns, but for some reason, if I don't pony my hair before I braid it, the bun won't work.

Kathie
May 6th, 2011, 01:42 PM
No pony or bobbie pins for me.
Recently I've been either using a ficcare clip or hair sticks to hold my buns. I can tell by how it feels weather its going to hold up during the day. If I have some hair poking out I just re-do it. Sometimes I’ll do three or so buns before I’m happy.

WittyWordsmith
May 6th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I use elastics more than anything else. Not because I love them (it's a love-hate relationship) but because I have a lot of learning to do when it comes to using other hair pins/sticks/etc.

There are times I've used bobby pins to secure buns, but it isn't often.

I find that I use hair clips a lot for several different styles, including buns, but I am trying to branch out from this a bit.

When my hair was its longest (about hip-bone length) I used elastics more than anything and would put my hair up in a wet bun. This resulted in some crazy weird headaches from the weight of the hair pulling on the elastics, but I was young and didn't know better. I ended up cutting it because I really didn't know how to deal with all of it. *sigh* I really miss it.

As my hair grows out now, I'll be working on using more forks and sticks to get the hair up.

verene
May 7th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I generally pony my hair before bunning. I know I have breakage from it, but my buns rarely stay secure the whole day (no matter what kind of bun) unless I've anchored it with a pony-tail before hand. Even braiding then bunning is not as secure and can still slip loose, unless I do my two-braid-knoted-bun, but that is a bit time consuming for every-day wear.

My some other fine hairs have advice on getting slippery hair to stay put?

FarmGirl
May 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I have to use an elastic (actually, usually I have to use 2 or 3 elastics together to be strong enough to hold) or else my bun just won't work. It will either fall out immediately, or will be so loose and wobbly it's not funny, and then that gives me a headache. Never heard of the bobby pin method, though I doubt that would work for me...

mimi1153
May 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I don't use either; just hold it where I want it and twist and roll and either pin or clip. Doesn't slip too often.

Joribear... you are hilarious... lol.

Deborah
May 7th, 2011, 10:41 AM
No, I never use anything of that when doing buns. Buns for me are a way to protect my hair, I don't want anything damaging in them.

Yep. I think both bobby pins and pony tails regularly cause damage to the hair, so I never use either, whether my hair is in a bun or not.

Annushka
May 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I always used a ponytail as a base for my buns back when my hair was APL to maybe BSL. Maybe around waist I stopped - I guess I just had enough length by then to coil or knot the bun enough that all I needed was a stick or ficcare.

Eliz964
May 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
if my hair has just dried after a shower, all i need is a skrunchie to put it in a bun. but the next day i usually need an elastic hair tie first and then the skrunchie. i've never tried the bobby pin method, but when i use bobby pins i end up stabbing myself in the head at some point during the day.

meumar
May 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I dont usually use either mainly because my hair is so thin and fine that it doesn't need it. I can just coil my hair up into a bun, tuck in the end, and it will hold all day without pins.

I might only use the ponytail method if I want a very tightly pulled back hairstyle just for a certain look.