PDA

View Full Version : Best strategy for dealing with/hiding breakage..?

Miss Catrina
May 5th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I have broken/frizzy hair on the sides of my head, toward the front. I'm guessing this is from excessive flat ironing in the past (those areas of hair got the brunt of it) and being pulled back into thin elastics.

I'm wondering if there are any good tricks for hiding it. Hairspray is so-so. I can hide it when I'm wearing a ponytail, but I'm worried that will make it worse at the same time. Ordinarily, I'd just get a trim, but it's so high up - above my chin level - and it's really such a small section of my hair. Obviously, it'll have to be cut off eventually, but I just can't go from APL all the way back to a bob or pixie.

My best idea at the moment is to take the frontmost pieces of my hair and twist them, then pin them back with those tiny, tiny butterfly clips. You can't really tell it's jank, that way. Any other ideas?

growingpains
May 5th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I have these weird "wispies"/baby hair around my temples and sideburn area that doesn't every grow longer than a couple inches (different shed rate). Right now though I have breakage there around the temples, dunno why. It's probably only noticeable to me, but to smooth it in with the rest of my hair I use EVOO or argan oil.

xo

Jean Stuart
May 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have these weird "wispies"/baby hair around my temples and sideburn area that doesn't every grow longer than a couple inches (different shed rate). Right now though I have breakage there around the temples, dunno why. It's probably only noticeable to me, but to smooth it in with the rest of my hair I use EVOO or argan oil.

xo

I have the same problem. My temple breakage is from my old eyegalsses. I will be following this thread.

missvici
May 5th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'm dealing with the same problem right now! I find when I wear my hair straight, or even wavy, it tends to accentuate the shorter hairs, so I have started to curl my hair. This helps in hiding the broken hair. If I am wearing my hair straight I just twist and pin back my bangs/front section with bobby pins.

missvici
May 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I have the same problem. My temple breakage is from my old eyegalsses. I will be following this thread.
Try using clear mascara on the broken and/or wispy baby hairs. It works amazing to weigh them down without leaving any residue on your hair. I personally find I can't use oil to smooth my hair because it always looks too greasy.

Miss Catrina
May 5th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Try using clear mascara on the broken and/or wispy baby hairs. It works amazing to weigh them down without leaving any residue on your hair. I personally find I can't use oil to smooth my hair because it always looks too greasy.

That's fascinating... I'm really interested in trying this now.

celebriangel
May 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Are you going conefree? If not, a little coney serum - I love the Aussie one - smooths things down nicely. You can just use a teeeny bit on the brokeny bits.

McFearless
May 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I doubt anyone can tell but its important you're comfortable with your hair :)

Texture hides damage really well. You could try foam rollers to give you curls or braids to give you waves. What do you think of half-updo's?

Youtube has lots of hairstyle videos. Look around and I'm sure you'll find something.

Mírien
May 6th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I had the same problem some years ago. I have never used a flat iron in my life but in those days (pre-LHC, of course:p) I was quite harsh on my hair, forcing a plastic comb through my waves... :scared:So I had breakage on the two sides higher than my ears. I did a thorough s&d. It was quite difficult since the splits were so high up but I couldn't ask anybody to do it for me: in a family of shorthairs I easily get called a longhair freak... But I held on and with patience I did away with the damage.
However, if you wish to hide it, I would suggest using oils. My personal favourite is coconut oil, but you have to find the one that fits you. You won't need much, just a drop or two. I usually use it on my ends with success but I think it would also work with your side damage.
Hoping, I could be of some help.:blossom:

Fethenwen
May 6th, 2011, 12:52 AM
There's also this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586

It might help smooth down and soften those damaged areas :)