PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I did this

Tornerose
May 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM
(X-Posted at other hair-forums).

I finally bleached my hair

I've been wanting to do this for... Oh I don't know, since I was 20 or something, so almost 8 years then.
My previous hairdresser didn't really want to do it, so we settled for highlights/stripes for a couple of years. But the last time we did it, the chemicals started to burn quite a bit, so I decided I didn't really want to do it again. That was a bit over 3 years ago now

Eventually I found theese hairforums and heard of all kinds of natural lightining, honey, lemon, cinnamon, etc but noone really had the results I was looking for.
So when I moved up here in the mountains last fall, I noticed they had an organic hairdresser here. After seriously thinking about it for some months now, I decided to go in and talk to them about what options I had, and set up an appointment.

Yesterday was the big day, and I was going to take pictures before and after, but time ran away from me, so I only have very old before-pictures.
Anyways, when I got there the hairdresser said my hair was pretty light already, so she didn't have to use bleach, just lightning.. whatever that means. So we did that, cut off the ends wich looked like something the car threw up, and gave it a cure.

The whole "bleach" process went fine, only slight discomfort when it came near my skin in a "non-hair"-area, but it disappeared one I wiped it off. Hair also feels really silky, wich is weird since she said their products didn't use any 'cones.

Anyways, on to the pictures.

Here's me before, with the top hair layers striped, per the old hairdressers "rules".
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7786&pictureid=102044

Different lighting:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7786&pictureid=102045

And then...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7786&pictureid=102040
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7786&pictureid=102041
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7786&pictureid=102042

What do you all think of the colour? Too light? Too yellow? Just about right? Too dark? Opinions please....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6266&pictureid=102035
Here's hands at previous lenght. Please ignore the braidwaves.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6266&pictureid=102039
Here you can see the U-shape much better. Personally I don't think I like that but ohwell. Easy fix.

And just because swirly photos are fun, here's some more.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6266&pictureid=102038
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6266&pictureid=102037
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6266&pictureid=102036

(PS: The facial shots will be made private or removed later. I'm just adding them in now so you can see the difference against my skin)

MissManda
May 5th, 2011, 06:46 PM
It's so wonderful to hear that you did what makes you happy. :) Your hair looks gorgeous with your new color and waves. Oh, and I love your shirt, too! :flower:

jasper
May 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
It looks just right to me and it looks like you are enjoying it! (I like your before color too)

Miss Catrina
May 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think it's great. :) It reminds me of the hair angels have in paintings!

Honestwitness
May 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I like it! The color is very prettty. I like your pretty top, also.

Freki
May 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM
That's a lovely color! I think it really makes your eyes pop.

jojo
May 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM
It doesnt even looked bleached, it looks so soft and healthy. I love it and your hair!

Garnett
May 5th, 2011, 07:24 PM
yay, it looks beautiful!

ratgirldjh
May 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I think it looks very natural :)

AnnaJamila
May 5th, 2011, 07:53 PM
How preeeeeeeeeeeetty!!! I love the color, and you obviously are thrilled!

Beautiful results! :)

Joribear
May 5th, 2011, 08:06 PM
It doesnt even looked bleached, it looks so soft and healthy. I love it and your hair!

I was thinking the SAME thing!!

It looks....cuddly. LOL My youngest nephew likes to cuddle and pet my hair while I'm sleeping (it's his way of waking me up; he's 5 & has Downs Syndrome), and I think he would love to cuddle and pet hair that looks like your's, Tornerose! It's a very special thing; not everyone gets hair cuddles/pets, not even his mom! :cheese:

racrane
May 5th, 2011, 08:08 PM
It's pretty and looks lovely! And I LOVE the swirl-y shots. :D

Lianna
May 5th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'm so glad for you! Very natural and stunning results! :blossom:

Mesmerise
May 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM
It looks beautiful and very natural! It's great you could get your hair lightened in a way that wasn't so damaging and didn't hurt you, too! I'd love to know what process they use that doesn't involve bleach.

Lianna
May 5th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I'd love to know what process they use that doesn't involve bleach.

Dark blonde/light brown can look light blonde with a high lift dye. Mine did a few years ago. Perhaps that's what they used.

ericthegreat
May 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I love this light blonde shade on you! With your natural pale skin and blue eyes, you can't even tell that it isn't your natural color. That stylist did a great job!

And I concur with Lianna. On hair whose starting color is already light enough, say a dark to a medium blonde, a high-lift dye color is usually enough to lighten that hair to a light blonde, thus making bleach unnecessary.

fairystar32
May 5th, 2011, 09:21 PM
The colour suits you, you hair is so pretty and you seem thrilled so Congrats :)

HintOfMint
May 5th, 2011, 09:33 PM
So pretty! I adore it!

musicallberrii
May 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
looks beautiful and suits you well :) glad you like it!

CastaDiva
May 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Really, really beautiful, and very natural looking!! The colour of your hair and your complexion really stand out when you are wearing your lovely blue top:)

Quixii
May 5th, 2011, 10:46 PM
It looks very pretty and natural and really suits you very well. I'm very glad you're so happy with it. :)

Melanie Marie
May 5th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Honestly, I think the new color looks much nicer!!! And your hair is so beautiful! :)

Avital88
May 6th, 2011, 12:53 AM
It looks really natural and not bleached! Good job ,very lovely hair

GourmetChica
May 6th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I love it, I think it's a perfect shade. Sometimes when blondes don't have yellow in them and they are too ash toned I think they look too harsh and kind of aging. Your golden tones are so pretty. What did she use, can you let us know?

Sundial
May 6th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I love the way the color looks on you! It's really pretty :thumbsup:

Dragon
May 6th, 2011, 01:26 AM
It looks good :) Looks very natural

Chibbylick
May 6th, 2011, 01:38 AM
looks great!!

Malibu Barbie
May 6th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Yeah !! I love it, it looks great. Have fun with it!!

silkheart
May 6th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Your new color is gorgeous! :) It is definitely flattering.

vanity_acefake
May 6th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Wow. It looks amazing.
I love the action shots.
:)

LocustSpawning
May 6th, 2011, 03:04 AM
WOW! That looks gorgeous!!

Ninika
May 6th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Absolutely thudworthy! I'd never have guessed this wasn't natural.

Yozhik
May 6th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Very pretty! It looks natural, and I like the color. :)

I especially like the last swirly hair photo! :flower:

Raekwon
May 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM
it's fine.

mrs_coffee
May 6th, 2011, 04:30 AM
The color is lovely and looks very natural. I like it.

vanillabones
May 6th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I love it. And wow you didn't use bleach people are saying?? Even more lovely :) Your hair is so gorgeous. I love the braid waves and the length.

WaitingSoLong
May 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM
OOOHH I love it! But maybe i am biased towards that color ;)

I am a little perplexed by everyone's comments that it doesn't look bleached. As someone who has bleached on and off all my life, the damage from bleach takes a long time to show up, not the next day.

Maddy25
May 6th, 2011, 07:24 AM
It looks so natural and shiney, I like it a lot better than the stripes from before :D It looks great!

spidermom
May 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM
It looks gorgeous! I hope the upkeep won't become heinous.

firicia
May 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Wow you look amazing!

dragonchickx
May 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Id love to be able to see the pictures I guess I am not at that many posts yet!! ahh!

Tornerose
May 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Thank you everyone. :flowers:
I'm glad you all like it. My biggest concern was if it looked bleached/unnatural, but it seems you guys don't think so, wich I'm happy about :)

Personally I think it's too light. it's a HUGE adjustment, I wasn't aiming for such a light blonde, so I hope it darkens alittle. If it doesn't maybe I'll go back to more brunette-ish :p

I see there's some questions about what she used, and I honestly have no idea. I know they're an organic hairdressingshop (is that what you call it?) and that most of their products claim to be organic. Bleach will obviously always be bleach, but since she said she didn't need to use bleach on me, I have no idea what it was.
There was also a haircure involved after the dyejob, and shampoo and conditioner.. and a blowdry so we could get brush through it :lol:

Fun Fact: I told her about LHC, and she has heard of it, she even seemed positive towards us crazyheads here ;) How often does that happend? Especially since she had short bleached hair herself :P

It looks....cuddly. LOL My youngest nephew likes to cuddle and pet my hair while I'm sleeping (it's his way of waking me up; he's 5 & has Downs Syndrome), and I think he would love to cuddle and pet hair that looks like your's, Tornerose! It's a very special thing; not everyone gets hair cuddles/pets, not even his mom! :cheese:
Aww that's so precious. You must feel quite priveledged.

RitaPG
May 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Looks gorgeous and suits your skintone beautifully :)

WaitingSoLong
May 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Personally I think it's too light. it's a HUGE adjustment, I wasn't aiming for such a light blonde, so I hope it darkens alittle. If it doesn't maybe I'll go back to more brunette-ish.

This is why I stopped highlighting my hair. It is a great color, but too light for me, personally. I know my pics don't show it but I have a ruddy complexion that makes the ligter blonde look unnatural around my face. I really really liked the color, though. I just decided it was not for me.

You will get used to it, too. Eventually, I darkened my hair. Sounds like you had it done the healthiest way, so I would just try to enjoy it! Looks fun!

Joribear
May 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Aww that's so precious. You must feel quite priveledged.

I'm very privileged and I know it! That's the one thing I "get" from him that is ALLLL mine! :)

Of course, if he saw your hair, I think he'd knock me over trying to get to you! :)

Alvrodul
May 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM
That looks goooood!! :D

Tornerose
May 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks you guys :)

I'm very privileged and I know it! That's the one thing I "get" from him that is ALLLL mine! :)

Of course, if he saw your hair, I think he'd knock me over trying to get to you! :)
Haha aww, thank you.

This is why I stopped highlighting my hair. It is a great color, but too light for me, personally. I know my pics don't show it but I have a ruddy complexion that makes the ligter blonde look unnatural around my face. I really really liked the color, though. I just decided it was not for me.

You will get used to it, too. Eventually, I darkened my hair. Sounds like you had it done the healthiest way, so I would just try to enjoy it! Looks fun!
Yeah I suppose I will get used to it. If it darkens alittle over time/with washes too, it will probably get even better.

Your colour looks very nice in the pictures though. Not too light, not too dark.

Rocket22
May 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I agree with everyone that is looks very natural

IcarusBride
May 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM
It looks soooo beautiful! I think she got it right on the mark! Congrats on your very successful hairdresser visit!

jojo
May 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM
if you want to darken a little try some apple cider vinegar rinses or a marigold rinse.

Tornerose
May 6th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Thank you.

jojo: wont ACV make it more reddish though? I want it darker, but not more yellow or red... (yes I know I'm picky :P )

Quezie
May 6th, 2011, 05:30 PM
It looks wonderful, and completely natural. :)