PDA

View Full Version : To stretch washings or not to stretch?? That is the question.

Mrspuddinhead
May 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hello all, as a newbie I will have quite a few questions. Everyone has been so nice and welcoming, quick to offer advice or suggestions so for that I am very greatful. I see quite a few people on here stretch out their washing while others wash often. I'm the kind of person that has to wash her hair every two days because it does get oily which leads me to my questions. Could it be the brand of shampoo I'm using?? Do you prefer shampoos with cones or with out?? For those of you who do stretch their washings do you find your hair grows more rapidly verses when you didn't stretch washing?? How often should I clarify, and should I use a mixture of EVOO and coconut daily ( for dry ends)?? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Your answers are very helpful in me finding the right way to take care of my hair.

caiti42
May 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Hi :)

Im a pretty oily scalp head myself. I wash every 2nd day, sometimes every 3rd if I'm not leaving the house.

I find my hair gets just as greasy using sulfates or no sulfates, cones or no cones. I think it's just inevidable for some people to get oily and greasy frequently.

I find what works best for me is sulfates (laureth) in my shampoo, cone free conditioner, but coney leave ins. (alternate between de Lorenzo the ends, de Lorenzo Instant Satur8, chi silk infusion, and Argan oil. I usually lightly Argan oil my hair at night as I wash my hair in the morn.

As for clarifying I wait until I notice my hair getting oilier quicker. Once every couple of months or so.

BUT in saying that different things work for different people! :)

elbow chic
May 5th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I don't think stretching washes makes the hair grow faster, so much as it spares the hair, and especially the ends, some wear and tear.

spidermom
May 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I don't believe the myth that stretching washes will make your scalp produce less oil because I read a scientific study a couple of years ago. They attached sensors to scalps and measured the sebum output, then concluded that a person's scalp puts out the same amount of sebum each day whether or not the hair is washed more frequently.

I've been experimenting with bagging my length and keeping it dry while I wash my scalp area. It's kind of a pain. I've done pretty well with CWC using diluted shampoo, but I still get more split ends than I want.

elbow chic
May 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM
(hit Post before I meant to...)

Anyway, my deal was that I used to be a religious daily washer and at first, even switching to every-other-day was difficult. Now I'm up to every three days with no problems, and sometimes four days. (I'm hoping to get to a point where I can wash once/week.)

Right now I'm on my third day post-wash and it honestly looks fine. I would not have believed that was possible a year ago. lol.

Part of it was using less SLS-- most of my washes are with an SLS-free shampoo and/or cheap coneless conditioner now.

And part of it was, I think, just the hair getting longer so there was enough of it to distribute the oil to. I really don't think I could have stretched washes this far at shoulder-length, say.

spidermom
May 5th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Oh, and my preference is to use cone-free shampoo and conditioner, then a little coney serum on the length. I want to control exactly how much cones goes into my hair and where it goes. I think it's overkill to have coney shampoo and coney conditioner and coney leave-in. Cones can be good, but more isn't better. In fact, I find that if I use my coney serum more than once per week, my hair gets MORE tangly. If I use it once a week or less, I get good results.

elbow chic
May 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Oh, and my preference is to use cone-free shampoo and conditioner, then a little coney serum on the length. I want to control exactly how much cones goes into my hair and where it goes.

I like that idea...

JozieGirl
May 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I've been used to washing my hair every other day for a long time, and suddenly, over the past two or three years, my scalp has been driving me cazy- itching all the time and dandruff that would never completly go away.

When my husband suggested that I stop washing so often, I thought he was nuts, but finally, I decided to try it. For the past two months I've been washing once every 4 days, and my roots dont get greasy till day four (wash day). That was a wonderful surprise, but my scalp was still bothering me.

I also started using a SLS and all that other bad crap- free shampoo and I think that has really helped a ton. You can try making your own shampoo with just water and baking soda, or a bit more pricy and buy some castile soap and mix it with some herbs, or you can just buy some orgainc shampoo and conditioner, but be sure to check the lables!

Mesmerise
May 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I don't believe the myth that stretching washes will make your scalp produce less oil because I read a scientific study a couple of years ago. They attached sensors to scalps and measured the sebum output, then concluded that a person's scalp puts out the same amount of sebum each day whether or not the hair is washed more frequently.

Well, this is interesting, but my personal experience is that I have been able to stretch washes (not far lol) and my hair doesn't get as greasy now as it used to. I used to be a daily washer using the typical SLS shampoo and coney condish lol and if I didn't wash my hair on the second day, the roots would feel greasy... If I left it till the third day it was awful!

However, now I can get by washing every third day. I doubt I'll stretch it more though cause I like to wash! I've also changed my wash to oil shampoo or CO, with only the occasional use of a regular shampoo (for clarifying purposes).

That being said, I don't think stretching washes will help hair grow, in fact, if there's too much sebum building on the scalp, I imagine it would actually inhibit hair growth (plus shed of scalp cells etc not being washed away). You need to wash your hair SOMEHOW, even if it's water only, and you give your scalp a good scritching or something!! The only real benefit to stretching would be, as someone else said, less wear and tear on the hair (hehe that rhymes).

And I'll also add that one thing I've learned from these forums is this: EVERYONE is different! One person will discover something that works brilliantly for their hair, they'll rave about it, and other people will try it and think "Meh...that didn't do anything!" So it really requires a bit of trial and error on your part to figure out what works for you and your hair (and often a bit of persistence, as I don't think doing something once is enough to gauge the long term effect).

I actually think it's a good idea to do a monthly trial. In this month you decide to stretch your washes, or do CWC, or CO, or use oil shampoo, or whatever, and see what effect it has on your hair over that time.

JamieLeigh
May 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I am a CO user (conditioner-only), and I wash twice a week, sometimes more often if I work out. I found my hair to get greasier at first when I went off of the frequent shampooing, but over time it did level out. I have not made any major changes in washing or product - I did try herbal tea rinsing earlier this year, but did not stick with it - for over two years now, so somehow or another, by magic or otherwise, my scalp managed to get used to my routine and is not greasy at all until about the third day after washing. :p

I find it easier to stretch washes when you wear your hair up often...that way you're not worrying about whether yourself or other people think it looks greasy or stringy.

spidermom
May 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
One thing I noticed when I decided to wash less frequently is that hair doesn't always go through a progression of oily, more oily, even more oily, disgustingly oily, and so forth. Sometimes it will be too oily one day, but if I don't get around to washing it, it will be less oily the next day. I think either hair absorbs the extra sebum or I get it moved down my length from combing/brushing. So I'm no longer terribly disturbed by it if my hair seems too oily one day because I know it may well be acceptable the following day.

Itching is a deal breaker, though. If my scalp feels itchy and looks oily, I wash it.

teela1978
May 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I think it depends. I go with the theory that some people have scalps that are irritated by certain detergents and can produce more sebum in response to protect itself... the question is if you are one of those people. I've tried CO and sulfate free and just stretching for periods of time but never found that my oil production calmed down. Going sulfate free actually leaves me with little pimples all over my scalp, and I find that it doesn't sufficently cut the grease so when I do use it I have to wash daily rather than every other day.

I think stretching is something worth trying. Its fun to play with products, and if something sounds interesting try it for a week or two. If you eventually can slow your hair washing to once a week then that's awesome. If not then you're just an oily head and you'll have to wash more often. Not an issue.

Mrspuddinhead
May 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Well, this is interesting, but my personal experience is that I have been able to stretch washes (not far lol) and my hair doesn't get as greasy now as it used to. I used to be a daily washer using the typical SLS shampoo and coney condish lol and if I didn't wash my hair on the second day, the roots would feel greasy... If I left it till the third day it was awful!

However, now I can get by washing every third day. I doubt I'll stretch it more though cause I like to wash! I've also changed my wash to oil shampoo or CO, with only the occasional use of a regular shampoo (for clarifying purposes).

That being said, I don't think stretching washes will help hair grow, in fact, if there's too much sebum building on the scalp, I imagine it would actually inhibit hair growth (plus shed of scalp cells etc not being washed away). You need to wash your hair SOMEHOW, even if it's water only, and you give your scalp a good scritching or something!! The only real benefit to stretching would be, as someone else said, less wear and tear on the hair (hehe that rhymes).

And I'll also add that one thing I've learned from these forums is this: EVERYONE is different! One person will discover something that works brilliantly for their hair, they'll rave about it, and other people will try it and think "Meh...that didn't do anything!" So it really requires a bit of trial and error on your part to figure out what works for you and your hair (and often a bit of persistence, as I don't think doing something once is enough to gauge the long term effect).I actually think it's a good idea to do a monthly trial. In this month you decide to stretch your washes, or do CWC, or CO, or use oil shampoo, or whatever, and see what effect it has on your hair over that time.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Monthly trial sounds like a great idea. I noticed VO5 shampoos are more gentle on my hair leaving it healthly and soft vs. Frutis Garnier which makes my hair even more oily. Today my hair felt like straw so I just used a conditioner for color treated hair followed by a deep conditioner and it made a HUGE difference. I've never used oil shampoos before but will gladly give it a try.

Lianna
May 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I don't think stretching washes makes the hair grow faster, so much as it spares the hair, and especially the ends, some wear and tear.

That being said, I don't think stretching washes will help hair grow, in fact, if there's too much sebum building on the scalp, I imagine it would actually inhibit hair growth (plus shed of scalp cells etc not being washed away).

Just wanted to share my personal experience, because washing less (and not washing enough, which for me is SLES) made my hair grow slower. From pixie to ear I knew how fast my growth was (0.5-0.8 inch a month), from ear to almost shoulder all I did was CO wash with a few shampooings here and there when I didn't have the option. So those few months my hair didn't grow as much (slightly less than 0.5), I wasn't doing anything different. I came back to SLES when I finally noticed, though I know a life without sulfates is very appealing.

Maybe I grew more of those growth inhibit fungi because I live in a hot climate and I think they like hot sweaty heads (even though I at least rinsed, often CO everyday). :D My hair never looked oily with CO, or changed its oil production, for the record.

I'd say everything is worth a try though!

growingpains
May 5th, 2011, 09:28 PM

I believe less sebum is produced once the scalp is accustomed to stretching washes. Back in 07 and earlier I washed daily and by the end of day two my scalp and surrounding hair was definitely greasy. I got lazy in 08 and washed every second day. Then in late 08 I transitioned to every 3-4 days. The first time I went three days my hair literally hung in strings. But now I can do it no problem and in fact, day two and three are better than day one.

ETA: though why it appears less oily could in theory be for reasons other than sebum production.

growingpains
May 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Could it be the brand of shampoo I'm using?? Do you prefer shampoos with cones or with out?? For those of you who do stretch their washings do you find your hair grows more rapidly verses when you didn't stretch washing?? How often should I clarify, and should I use a mixture of EVOO and coconut daily ( for dry ends)?? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Your answers are very helpful in me finding the right way to take care of my hair.

Hi! :)

I don't notice any difference in growth rate with stretching washings. For me it's only a matter or trying to do less wear and tear and keep my hair moisturized. (And laziness. Definitely that).

I am recently a cone free convert. So far so good, shinier, better wave patter, less frizz. BUT, I shall revert back to cones soon to compare.

I think oiling daily is fine. But, the more you oil the more you need to wash I think. Or at least I find that

ouseljay
May 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I'm pretty new to this myself, but what stretching washes does for me is to allow more of the sebum to make its way to the ends of my hair. I have yet to find an oil that makes my hair nearly as nice as the natural sebum does. Seriously, if I don't wash my hair for two weeks I get complements on how soft and shiny it looks.

Kherome
May 5th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I can go to day 4 without the greasies. I can get to day 7 with minor greasies/updos.

gthlvrmx
May 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I wash once every 6 days. :D And i tell you, my hair doesn't feel greasy at all! I USED to think i was a greasy oily type of person, but i took showers every other day and dumped TONS of shampoo on my head, no conditioner. Oh, and the minimum length of shower was one hour.
So i was really just getting rid of those oils.
I use no cone now and my hair doesn't feel overly greasy, teensy-tiny amount of shampoo, it's an almost perfect routine for my hair.
The first few days of not washing took some getting used to due to the greasiness but after the second week, it went down. By the fourth week it didn't feel greasy at all and now it feels just super smooth even the day before wash day! :o

Signe
May 5th, 2011, 10:09 PM
i went WO for the last 4 months and now if i wash even with a tiny amount of dilute shampoo i can get by stretching washes for a week or more without wetting again...i just have to stay diligent with the scalp massages and the bbb and i'm set. my first dilute shampoo in that whole period was after about 3.5 months and i think i will do one every 2-3 weeks from now on because WO doesn't seem to get all the pollution from big cities out and my hair gets a bit smogged up.

i have also noticed a lot less tangling when stretching washes because my hair doesn't get as dry. bonus.

McFearless
May 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Have you looked into CO washing? With that method you don't have to stretch washes to prevent dryness because no shampoo is used. There is a thread on it in the first few pages of the Mane Forum.

If shampoo is the only thing that works you can protect your length with conditioner or oil while you shampoo your roots. The conditioner or oil will act as a buffer so that your strands aren't exposed to the shampoo.

You hair could also be the type that needs to get used to stretching washes before your oil production becomes steady.

DreamDance
May 5th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I find I have to wash my hair every 3-5 days. I'm super inconsistent, but I just wash when my scalp is driving me nuts. I use a diluted sulfate shampoo with my CWC at least once a month to keep me from looking like a grease ball with my fine hair. The rest of the time I CWC with an organic shampoo, usually based with sugar beets to get rid of build up, and put oil in my ends when my hair dries.

When my hair wasn't colored I had to wash with diluted sulfates every couple of weeks. I think as the color grows back out, I will have to wash my scalp more often again.

DreamDance
May 5th, 2011, 11:01 PM
oh, and my hair grows the same no matter what... *sigh*

krissykins
May 5th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I suggest getting a boar bristle brush to help with stretching washes (distributing the sebum). I actually just submitted an article about BBBs today that is located here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=210). It will give you an idea of what BBBs are useful for and how to use them.

Mrspuddinhead
May 6th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. Ya'll have been a big help!!

RitaPG
May 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
My sister has an oily scalp, she has tried cone and cone free products, and has tried several times to stretch washes. Maybe for some people that works, but not for her. She still washes every other day, but now uses a mild, sulfate free shampoo that doesn't dry her hair so much. She uses a cone free conditioner, but has a coney serum that she uses only on the ends, to keep them smooth.

You can give it a try on the stretching washes thing, but don't worry if it doesn't work, several people here wash their hair daily :)
I suppose the trick here is to find yourself a mild shampoo for your scalp, and a rich conditioner for the length of your hair. A drop or two of oil on the ends does help with the dryness. I do that too.

Quezie
May 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I haven't really figured this out yet myself.

My wash technique and schedule is pretty sporadic.

I USUALLY just use a no-sulfate shampoo on my scalp, but the hair around my face still seems to get oily right away, so now I'm experimenting with different shampoos.

And sometimes I co wash with something coney. Whatever I feel my hair will like at the time.

Chiara
May 7th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I think its really individual, and can also vary according to season. I am definitely one of those people who get more oily if I use detergent cleaners which are too strong. I can now go a week between shampoo washes, and just freshen up in between with water only or conditioner only rinses.

I find that I particularly see the benefits of stretching shampoo washes in winter. My hair now generally behaves OK, but when I washed every 2nd day I'd get a flakey scalp and very dry length (I don't really get itch problems though). So oily scalp, combined with flaking and dry length can all be signs that you're shampooing too frequently, or using a shampoo that is too strong.

Mrspuddinhead
May 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Have you looked into CO washing? With that method you don't have to stretch washes to prevent dryness because no shampoo is used. There is a thread on it in the first few pages of the Mane Forum.

If shampoo is the only thing that works you can protect your length with conditioner or oil while you shampoo your roots. The conditioner or oil will act as a buffer so that your strands aren't exposed to the shampoo.

You hair could also be the type that needs to get used to stretching washes before your oil production becomes steady.

Thank you!! I just came across that thread yesterday and decided that would be the 1st method I would try for a month. I'll never know unless I try, right?? I noticed it has made my hair more shiny, ends less fuzzy, yet my roots are oily the next day. I'll just have to use trial and era until I find out how long to leave the conditioner on my hair.

Annalouise
May 7th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Hello all, as a newbie I will have quite a few questions. Everyone has been so nice and welcoming, quick to offer advice or suggestions so for that I am very greatful. I see quite a few people on here stretch out their washing while others wash often. I'm the kind of person that has to wash her hair every two days because it does get oily which leads me to my questions. Could it be the brand of shampoo I'm using?? Do you prefer shampoos with cones or with out?? For those of you who do stretch their washings do you find your hair grows more rapidly verses when you didn't stretch washing?? How often should I clarify, and should I use a mixture of EVOO and coconut daily ( for dry ends)?? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Your answers are very helpful in me finding the right way to take care of my hair.

I concur with Spiderwoman.
My experience has been that I have an oily scalp. End of story.
Not washing my hair with anything except water did not magically turn my scalp into a dry scalp or a 'normal' scalp. It was just hair that was REALLY coated in oil. And using a boar's bristle brush did also not make my hair somehow magically less oily. Even if I moved the oil down the hair with the brush my scalp kept pumping it out until I looked like an oily sea otter!:D Not a sexy look in my personal opinion.
If you have a dry or normal scalp then I think washing less often is an option for you. My Grandmother has a dry scalp and she washed her hair once every 2 weeks and it never looked oily.:)

Carolyn
May 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Personally I don't think stretching washes is all that it's cracked up to be here at LHC. I can only speak for my hair of course. I used to be a 5-6 times a week washer and now I'm a 2-4 times a week washer. I think a lot of it is laziness and not giving a crap in my old age :D I've found that my length NEEDS to be wet every few days. The few times I've gone 4-5 days without some kind of a wash, my ends have been a dried out mess. I had to do a SMT or some other kind of heavy moisturizing conditioning. I think you need to experiment with one new thing at a time and CO washing sounds like a great place to start. If it doesn't work the first time, don't give up. It might be your choice of CO conditioner, it might be the length of time you left the conditioner on your hair. Work with it and don't give up too soon.

Clarify on an as needed basis. A clarifying wash is to set your hair back to square one. It gets all the residue and gunk off. If you don't use coney conditioners or lots of styling products you probably won't have to do it too often.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING has made my hair grow faster but bad diet and stress have made it grow slower.

hs_atreides
May 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I had more issues when I tried to go longer periods between washes. THe last two months I have washed every other day. My scalp feels healthier, no itchiness or flakiness. Even though my hair is short, I oil it prior to washing to help keep the ends from drying out.

Jenn of Pence
May 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I've always been a 2-3 day washer, even before coming here. My limiting factor seems to be itchy scalp. It seems that it likes more or less regular sulfates. I CWC, so hopefully that helps protect my ends from more washing, but honestly, I like freshly washed hair, and I think 2-3 days is a plenty fine wash schedule. ;)

Since I haven't really stretched, I can't comment on the making-it-grow-faster thing, but my impression is that it wouldn't affect it much, if any.

TheBluffs
May 7th, 2011, 07:58 PM
With my stretch-washing experience (We we on a farm), i have to say, after 3 weeks of no washing, then a nice wash, my hair got oily realy slowly for two months.