PDA

View Full Version : What is Normal Growth?

Gwen
May 5th, 2011, 01:13 PM
This may have been posted before, but I was curious. What is normal growth (for you, in inches) per month?

I'm trying to figure out if my growth rate is good, bad, or 'normal'. Since Feb. 23rd my hair has grown 1 inch. Would you consider this slow, fast, or average growth?

Gwen.

Kathie
May 5th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I would say that is around average. Average growth rate is 0.5"/ month.

breeanna92
May 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM
im not an expert but i think about 1/2-1 1/4inches a month

Avital88
May 5th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I would consider that slow growth..from late february till early may ,thats 2,5 months and 1 inch of growth that would mean that your hair grows a little less then 5 inches a year.I think the average is 6.
I see your hair is bleached so that might be reason its growing slowly(breakage?) My hair always used to be a slow grower untill i found this website in 2008..
Nowadays my hair grows an inch a month which i never thought was possible few years ago, i heatstyled,bleached,dyed,permed(!) And what not..

Now i take vitamins and actually stopped torturing my hair ,its finally shiny and alive and growing.

Gwen
May 5th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I'm getting rid of the bleach on May 25th (going back to my original color). Before coming to TLHC I used to get my hair trimmed every three months or so! So I never really saw any growth or knew how much my hair actually grew. But now I VOW not to get a cut for a while. I think once I get back to my original colour (which is ash blonde) things should start progressing.

pepperminttea
May 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I get about average (1/2 inch a month, 6" a year), but I sometimes get a little more.

Avital88
May 5th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I'm getting rid of the bleach on May 25th (going back to my original color). Before coming to TLHC I used to get my hair trimmed every three months or so! So I never really saw any growth or knew how much my hair actually grew. But now I VOW not to get a cut for a while. I think once I get back to my original colour (which is ash blonde) things should start progressing.

Well thats a good start! When i used to be blond i used 'colorless henna' named Cassia,it helped my locks to prevent breaking,my ends had great benefits from it and that was the first step to henna.
Its really worth looking that up since it will not color your hair but does moisture and care a lot!
Good luck on your hair journey, 3 yrs ago i had your hair so i know growing it out healthy and strong is possible after all!

Elysium
May 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I think different parts of my hair grow at different rates. I have an undercut that I shave down to the skin every week, the hair there grows 0.4 inches a week but the hair at the top of my head only seems to grow about an inch or so a month :rolleyes:
Sorry for going off-topic :p

Elysium
May 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM
**Less than an inch per month, thats what I meant to say :rolleyes:

Quahatundightu
May 5th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I think my growth is about 1/4 of an inch per month.

vaughner
May 5th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I feel like the hair on the side of my head grows faster then my bottom layers. I measured it and I get about half an inch every month.

Earth Angel
May 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM
0.5inch is the average growth, but different people may vary depending on different factors. I always felt mine was slow growing but realise it was breaking and not showing any length, I was also getting it trimmed every 3 months at hairdressers so that didn't help either.

gthlvrmx
May 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't say there is a "normal" growth, it depends on the person's genetics, care, and all those things. On average, I grow 1 inch per month, with it slowing down in the winter.
So for me to grow one inch since february until now is slow for me :p But i could just blame it on the season :p Everyone's different

Mrspuddinhead
May 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I'm your average grower of 6" of growth a year, 1/2" a month.

ange1ito
May 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Nowadays my hair grows an inch a month which i never thought was possible few years ago, i heatstyled,bleached,dyed,permed(!) And what not..

Now i take vitamins and actually stopped torturing my hair ,its finally shiny and alive and growing.[ Avitals quote]

For myself its only half an inch per month, it can be demotivating when you feel it's taking forever but you can get there with all the good advice from the positive LHC users :grouphug:

Avital's hair is gorgeous...it's good to see people here have actually improved their hair health by following LHC.

jojo
May 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM
The average person grows approx 6" a year, some lucky ones get more. I can go months without growth and then during winter my growth takes off, but I get roughly 6" and trim 1-2" so a gain of 4".

Mesmerise
May 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I would guess I get about 0.5" a month, but that's just a guess. My hair doesn't seem to grow particularly fast, but neither does it just not seem to grow at all. The only month where I really measured properly I got about 0.5"... but I've been doing some trimming and stuff (not much but a bit) which means my length doesn't get that much longer lol.

I will have a better idea in a few months of my overall growth though!! I'm allowing a streak of silver to grow in my hair so I'll know exactly how much regrowth I've got!

Gwen
May 6th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Wow, I really measured my hair wrong!! Last night I measured it, and checked my calendar for when I last had my hair coloured (I've been measuring my roots, as silly as it sounds. It's difficult to measure the other way for me). Anyhoo, my last hair appointment was April 5th and my hair has grown just over half an inch since then! For me, that's really good!

Gwen

Ostelot
May 6th, 2011, 05:34 AM
My growth rate is about 1/2 inch per month, sometimes much more and sometimes much less. And I don't use any supplements, it's hard already to keep roots retouched. Btw, I don't see bleaching a factor that effects on growth rate very much. In my opinion the damage of dyed and bleached hair is exaggerated. Or perhaps it's just about the hair type and some hair types just don't like any chemical handling at all. But I wouldn't be blaming chemical treatments about the slow growth first. I consider the genetics, diet and other everyday habits to be most likely the reason.

julliams
May 6th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I get an average of 5/8" per month - a total of 7" per year.

Avital88
May 6th, 2011, 06:15 AM
My growth rate is about 1/2 inch per month, sometimes much more and sometimes much less. And I don't use any supplements, it's hard already to keep roots retouched. Btw, I don't see bleaching a factor that effects on growth rate very much. In my opinion the damage of dyed and bleached hair is exaggerated. Or perhaps it's just about the hair type and some hair types just don't like any chemical handling at all. But I wouldn't be blaming chemical treatments about the slow growth first. I consider the genetics, diet and other everyday habits to be most likely the reason.

Well as far as my experience goes, my hair was really affected by bleach damage and i know dozens of other girls with breakage so no growth because of dyes and bleach

Avital88
May 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Avital's hair is gorgeous...it's good to see people here have actually improved their hair health by following LHC.

Thank you so much!without lhc my hair would be thinner,shorter and damaged!

Ostelot
May 6th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Well as far as my experience goes, my hair was really affected by bleach damage and i know dozens of other girls with breakage so no growth because of dyes and bleach

I'm sorry about the damage of your hair and your friends. But how do you know for sure, that the reason was only the dyes and bleaching? It's obvious that those actions can cause split ends and stuff, but I consider the breakage/slow growth rate can be caused by severals reasons. And there is also differences among the people using chemical colors. It's not wise to gather them in just one group. For instance, if you use bleaching about 2 times per month and always also to the ends.. Of course the result is very dry hair which isn't showing any growth. But if you use chemicals just to your roots once in 2 months, it's not the same thing. The conditioning also makes differences, the dyed hair needs more moisture and sometimes keratin. But it's not so hard to get healthy looking hair despite the chemicals.

But our genetics are different, and some get hair that just don't handle chemicals. Maybe my friends etc. is a inclined statistical sample because they don't see a difference if they use chemical colors or not. :) Assuming that they just take care of their hair and keep common sense with the colours not by changing the color too often with bleaching.

free_hug
May 6th, 2011, 06:42 AM
In the Land of the Metric System, we are usually taught that 1 centimetre per month is average (aka "normal"). An inch is about 2,34 centimetres I think, so a growth somewhere between a quarter and half an inch sound perfectly normal.

That is for an aggregate average though, so if you are a healthy person, rather young than old etc, chances are it will be more. If you are ageing, hve health problems etc, it could be less. And yet - this all is only true on the level of larger tendencies...

Avital88
May 6th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I'm sorry about the damage of your hair and your friends. But how do you know for sure, that the reason was only the dyes and bleaching? It's obvious that those actions can cause split ends and stuff, but I consider the breakage/slow growth rate can be caused by severals reasons. And there is also differences among the people using chemical colors. It's not wise to gather them in just one group. For instance, if you use bleaching about 2 times per month and always also to the ends.. Of course the result is very dry hair which isn't showing any growth. But if you use chemicals just to your roots once in 2 months, it's not the same thing. The conditioning also makes differences, the dyed hair needs more moisture and sometimes keratin. But it's not so hard to get healthy looking hair despite the chemicals.

But our genetics are different, and some get hair that just don't handle chemicals. Maybe my friends etc. is a inclined statistical sample because they don't see a difference if they use chemical colors or not. :) Assuming that they just take care of their hair and keep common sense with the colours not by changing the color too often with bleaching.

Well i used to think exactly the same way as you, but when i stopped all the chemicals i noticed a big change in my hair.
You can say alot about them but not that it can make the best out of your hair..
Chemicals still are chemicals and they take different on all sorts of hair but in the end they will always cause some damage.I've seen it from caucasian hair to Indian hair.
i didnt had a slow growth rate ,0.5inch a month so quite normal but it didnt grow because of the bleach causing breakage

Ostelot
May 6th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Of course they make some difference, but you may not even notice it in some hair types. Believing the chemicals make huge difference on anyone's hair, just because own hair acts so, sounds weird for me. My hair acted the same in the waist length when it had its natural colour, no advantages unfortunately. :D But that's just my hair, not assuming all hair would be like mine.

But I think I don't have anything else to say about this subject. :) The main thing is that were happy with the hair we have, whether it's virgin or not.

MaiCarInMtl
May 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM
My measurements say .25" or so a month for me, but I was checking my roots last night and the last dye line from my henna at the top of my head suggested closer to 1/2"-3/4" (I do a henna treatment every month, pretty much stable at 4 weeks). So I don't know what gives. Different growth-rates depending on where the hair is? Maybe.

BabyRay33
May 6th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I am one of those lucky people who gets about 1" per month. But I completely changed how I was treating my hair. I was fying it practically every month, and now that I stopped that and I oil it and treat it really gently, I am getting incredible growth.

Before I assumed it grew slowly, but it was really just me abusing it.

Since I joined in February I have gained about 3.5 inches.

EDIT and I take my vitamins regularly, a prenatal one without tons of iron, silica, and a regular centrum.

Lianna
May 6th, 2011, 02:54 PM
My growth varies 0.5 to 0.8 inch a month. This was in 2010, I stoped measuring this year, but I measured looking at my roots, so it's pretty acurate.

jel
May 6th, 2011, 04:31 PM
On average, it's half an inch per month. However, there are times when the growth slows down, and others when it speeds up. It's not connected to the seasons or regular in any way that I'm able to see...

Still, with my average growth rate I was able to grow from shoulder to talbone in 5 years.

owlathena
May 6th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I get between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch a month.

McFearless
May 6th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I think everyone's growth is normal. It is such an individual thing.

tgagurl27
May 10th, 2011, 04:57 AM
yea shud be half inch a month.. thts standard but yea depends on diet and exercise i reacon too

tgagurl27
May 10th, 2011, 05:00 AM
or if ur sick (like a long illness) but then some peoples hair grows slower... i read on a website that asian hair grows fastest then caucasion then african... thats just what this website said it myt not be entirely true but it made sense to me