PDA

View Full Version : hairdresser urban legends

Sereia
May 5th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I just turned on the computer and saw an article on my "home" website. the title said:
"the 12 mistakes every women does to screw up their hair"
(or something like that)
and, well.. of course many of them are obviously bad for hair, but I personally think some of them are urban legends that hairstylists loves to spread. :p (just MY opinion)

So I thought it would be fun to start a new thread based on that. I'm going to quick translate the text, but just in topics.
I'll put the article link in the end, it's in portuguese but you can always google translate it, right? hahah

1. applying condicioner on the roots:
condicioners close the pores in the scalp skin, making the hair oilier (specially people with natural oily hair) and even causing dandruff, because the scalp becomes more umid.

2. leaving condicioners on hair for too many time:
condicioners work by opening the hair cuticles, so they can penetrate the hair fiber and treat them. when they're not washed out, they become more elastic and tend to break more easily.

3. do not hydrate:
hydrations provide nourishment to hair, restoring it's softness, shine and healthy appearence. The substantial use of chemicals (dyes, straightening, etc.), makes the strands get damaged. Hydrations can reverse all that. Even people with oily hair deserves moisturizing, made with specific products.

4. washing with hot water:
avoid hot water because it can cause irritation to the scalp, stimulating the production of sebum which will enhance the oiliness, and also inhibit the growth of hair. "Always change the shampoo and conditioner and use a deep cleansing shampoo (once a week or every 15 days) to remove excess chemicals, dirt and grease, so the scalp can breathe.

5. using moisturizing masks on the beach:
for sunbathing, the ideal is to buy a leave in condicioner with sunscreen. And nothing more. Many women think that wearing powerful hair masks means they're protecting their hair when in fact, they are burning the strands. these products do not protect the scalp skin nor the hair against ultraviolet rays. furthermore, it has an ideal time to stay on action. exceed it weakens the hair

6. put the hair up when it's wet:
doing it sometimes is ok, but if you do that to style or make your hair less full when it's dry, beware that keeping the scalp wet for long periods of time can cause fungus, dandruff and even make the strands fall out! just use a leave-in condicioner and avoid the wind while it dries and you'll be ok.

7. Using the flat iron on wet hair:
this is a sin, and you won't have any mercy. it's so bad that you can feel the bad effects right away. the strands can be so deeply injured, they break off, and the only way to fix is a big chop. before using a flat iron, dry your hair completely.

8. blow drying the wrong way:
try to keep it at least 30 cm away from your head and always in the cold or medium temperature, never the higher. this will avoid burn and damage to the strands. in addition to that, the direct hot air flow on the scalp stimulates the sebum prodution.

9. more than 3 months without trimming:
many people think that's just hairdressers being phoney, but it is not. unless your hair takes too much time to grow, this is the average time to trim. after that time, the very ends begin to open and the strands break off more easily.

10. brushing with soft brushes:
soft bristles are more difficult to handle and can break hair more easily. experts recommend a comb with wide teeth, or hard racket brushes.

11. applying more than two chemicals at a time:
you must choose the treatments you want to apply. root relaxation, dying, brasilian keratin treatment, highlights ... all together makes the strands too weak and porous, smashing all the tips. choose two treatments, at most, and make sure to moisturize once a month, at least.

12. using no leave-in condicioner:
if you want to look natural, beware: YOU CAN'T have beautiful curls without a good shampoo, condicioner and leave in products. curly hair needs extra care because it's more difficult to make the natural oils reach the ends of the hair with all it's curves. they become dry, so hydration is a must to avoid frizz and bad looking waves.

http://msn.minhavida.com.br/conteudo/12119-12-erros-que-toda-mulher-comete-e-que-acabam-com-os-cabelos.htm

faerielady
May 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Dude, I can call b.s. on quite a bit of this...

Sereia
May 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I forgot to say my own oppinions..
I CO wash 2 times a week, never use leave in products (and have wavy hair. so they probably would think may hair is a mess based on topic 12.), only trim when my ends are yelling for help..
oh, and if they think is just leave the hair air dry without putting it up a little wet.. well, they definitely don't know my hair. it only works that way. hahah
but I try to make it as dry as possible before putting it up.

faerielady
May 5th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Lessee... I apply conditioner to the roots (CWC or CO). I do put up my hair when damp (not soaking wet, but I damp bun, or whatever I need to do). I use oil as a leave-in, not "product"... Commercial shampoos, conditioners, and leave-ins aren't necessary for everyone. I use a soft brush and refuse to use a stiff racket brush. I also use a fine tooth comb if I need it, and a bone comb to comb when wet. My hair goes usually at least a year between trims, sometimes 2-3 years... forget about that every three month bull. I have really strong hair that doesn't split easily.

spidermom
May 5th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I agree with most of those. I do leave a bit of regular conditioner in the bottom half of my hair, and I do get split ends quite easily, so I think I'm going to stop doing that and see if my hair improves.

Thanks for sharing.

faerielady
May 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I guess I should say that I do not agree with blanket statements in general. Some are common sense (flat irons on wet hair? seriously bad juju), but you can't make blanket statements in regard to product, hydration, trims, strength, volume, curl... those are highly individual issues.

Copasetic
May 5th, 2011, 10:10 AM
You can't have one set of "don'ts" when there are so many different hair types. But I think most of us knew that already.

Personally, I need to apply conditioner to my roots after I wash my hair. Otherwise I end up with fluffy, unmanageable roots.

Mirsha
May 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
5. using moisturizing masks on the beach:
for sunbathing, the ideal is to buy a leave in condicioner with sunscreen. And nothing more. Many women think that wearing powerful hair masks means they're protecting their hair when in fact, they are burning the strands. these products do not protect the scalp skin nor the hair against ultraviolet rays. furthermore, it has an ideal time to stay on action. exceed it weakens the hair

6. put the hair up when it's wet:
doing it sometimes is ok, but if you do that to style or make your hair less full when it's dry, beware that keeping the scalp wet for long periods of time can cause fungus, dandruff and even make the strands fall out! just use a leave-in condicioner and avoid the wind while it dries and you'll be ok.

Holy hair, you mean I've been doing it wrong all this time? Going to the pool, getting some sun and using a mask because I'm going swimming in chlorine water? halp halp!!

I have no experience with #6, my flakies only occur after clarifying. Even if I put it up wet, the hair closest to my scalp dries in no time at all.. it's often dry before I'm finished detangling.

Sereia
May 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I think it's better to use a hair mask after you went to pool. the chemicals they use will make your hair dry, but then you can fix with oils and other things..
but to be honest I don't think the sun will make that much damage unless you stand for hours in the beach, and it's not a good thing to do, not only for the hair, but the skin too.

tanya222
May 5th, 2011, 11:08 AM
avoid the wind while it dries

Um I'm pretty sure leaving my hair down then going out on a windy day and letting it get tangled up into a holy rat's nest of a mess that I have to spend ages with a comb trying to unsnarl is a heckuva lot worse than putting it up wet. I haven't had a fungus problem yet :p

Islandgrrl
May 5th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Well, there's a lot of good sense in a lot of these. I don't agree with them all, though. I CO most of the time, and I almost always put my hair up when it's wet. Not just damp. Wet. I have no scalp problems other than a little eczema which is neither confined to my scalp nor improved by not putting my hair up wet.

celebriangel
May 5th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ahah. Ahahahhaha....

But then I read on Clairol's website that henna is semipermanent, so, y'know. I also went into supercuts yesterday - I was only trying to find out if there was a sally's nearby! And I saw the most horrific thing. A hairdresser had just finished washing this girl's hair, and was combing it. To do this, she roughly pulled the hair apart so she had only the bottom part, then, with a fine-tooth comb she started at this poor girl's roots and ripped the comb at incredible speed through the hair, tugging hard when it obviously got caught in the ends.

The girl was wincing in pain, and I was wincing too at all the breaking sounds. If hairdressers think it's okay to do that to anyone's hair, I really don't trust most of them at all.

Personally, I think 3-monthly trims are probably necessary - IF your hair is terribly damaged from chemicals and heat styling. Because yeah, your ends will split in that time if they are damaged. But all you really need - cf Nightshade's damaged hair article - is a tiny microtrim. For healthy hair, I used to get trims no more than about once a year. And that was fine, because my hair just didn't split. What's the point of a trim every 3 months if you have no splits?

spidermom
May 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Trims every 3 months are perfect for me because my ends do split. Both times since I joined LHC that I grew for one year with no trim, I had to cut away so much length that I ended up with 0 progress.

pepperminttea
May 5th, 2011, 12:49 PM
You can't have one set of "don'ts" when there are so many different hair types. But I think most of us knew that already.

Agreed. Some of them are utterly wrong for my hair, but for other people, who knows. :shrug:

Shermie Girl
May 5th, 2011, 11:47 PM
[quote=celebriangel;1589829]

But then I read on Clairol's website that henna is semipermanent, so, y'know.[quote]

Henna is semi permanent? Golly, if I had only known. All that work and heartache I would have saved myself... :p :rollin:

I routinely wet and damp bun and I am happy to report that there is no fungus amugus. :cool:

I agree with an earlier poster who said that you can't make blanket statements about hair and expect them to work for everyone. Everyone has slightly or extremely different hair and what works beautifully for my tresses may not work so well, if at all for yours. The best way to know what is right for your hair is to experiment and find your own best care routine. :)

x0h_bother
May 6th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I show no mercy for people who (knowingly) do #7- it is soooo bad for hair. I disagree with 9 and 12 though.

WaitingSoLong
May 6th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I see articles like this all the time. All I can say is...YMMV. (Your Method May Vary).

I think everyone here would agree with some, disagree with others (tho #7 is pretty much not arguable).

Trim every 3 months? YIKES. Not for me.

Putting up wet? Moot point when you sweat with your hair in a bun and it stays damp all day. I am not putting anti-perspirant on my scalp. LOL. I think some people are prone to the fungi, some are not. Whatever.

As for hair-dressers...I have gotten so much bad advice from them I have a hard time respecting any of them. I don't like to blanket-judge people based on their profession, so I won't. But when the stylist has fritz fried hair herself...welll...and then they compliment my hair health? Is that a compliment if they think their own hair is healthy? If they don't, then why do they fry it? Or wait...compliment my hair and then proceed to tell me everything I do is wrong. :shrug:

Grain of salt comes to mind.

I need a whole shaker.

EmmyNemmy
May 8th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I put conditoner on my roots sometimes. Never really had a problem with it. :P