PDA

View Full Version : cut hair after childbirth?

azhie
May 5th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Hello!

I've been growing out my hair for a few years now, and it's past waist, on my way to tailbone! Well, I'm also pregnant so that has helped the growth A LOT.

I heard that a lot of hair falls out in the months after childbirth, and I'm wondering now if I should get it cut afterwards. I want to keep it the way it is now during confinement (can't wash hair in the first postpartum month) because it's easy maintenance, but I don't like the idea of lots of hair falling out.... (especially having gotten used to hair hardly shedding in the past 9 months!)

Also, my sisters keep telling me to donate my hair, and that seems like a good idea... I mean, if it's going to fall out and become thin anyway...

What do you think?

nantang
May 5th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Hey, welcome!

I just did a quick search on "hair loss after birth" and a lot of resources came up. Here's a link to one that should put your mind at ease. It also explains what exactly is going on, too.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-hair-loss_11721.bc

And grats on the baby!

vanity_acefake
May 5th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I have had 2 children and didn't really lose any hair after having them.
Some woman don't, some woman do.
It's because during pregnancy you stop shedding hair due to your pregnancy hormones. I had very very short hair when I had my son (about 1" length) and would have definately noticed any bald bits if I had shed a lot.
Good luck and don't worry too much.

Aveyronnaise
May 5th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Everyone told me to cut my hair before my baby was born and man did I regret it. It's something to think about that it is a big change when you are totally hormonal. Also if you breastfeed it is a lot less of a shed ( in general ) but you do loose more at the end of breastfeeding.
For me I noticed shedding, but it didn't make a huge impact on my hair thickness, but- I do have very,very thick hair. It might be different with a i thickness of hair.
Congrats on your baby :cheese: !

Yozhik
May 5th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I know I've read a couple of people here who have said that they cut after childbirth, and then regretted, especially since long hair can be more convenient to pull back and ignore through benign neglect. Maybe they'll stop by and offer their insights. :)

My advice would be not to cut too short for the above reasons. :flower:

By the way -- congratulations on your impending bundle of joy! :flowers:

`l)rea
May 5th, 2011, 03:00 AM
After my second child, I lost a lot of hair and really began to mourn the loss and worry that it wouldn't stop shedding. At the time I didn't know much about postpartum hair loss, so I just chopped it all off to chin length and started over. I really regretted it. Now, I'm trying to recover hair I lost last year after my third child. I didn't dare cut it this time and I can say that although I wish I had the fullness I had while I was pregnant, I'm still glad to have the length. I just smile at all the now 5 inch long hairs growing back after the shed and I look forward to the day when they finally catch up the rest of my hair.

sharicat
May 5th, 2011, 03:05 AM
IME with 2 babies the extra hair is "borrowed" anyway, so when I had an epic shed at 3 months post-natal, all that happened was my hair returned to more or less normal volume, although I had some thinning at the temples.

Everyone's different though - you may not experience it. Also, it's hormonal so if you breast feed it can affect it too.

I can say I had a drastic hair cut after my first son, which I really regretted. I also had a trim after my 2nd baby and I've regretted that too as my growth has really stalled!

Katze
May 5th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I lost about half my hair starting in month 3 (at the time of our wedding...lovely...!) and up until about month 7. Every time I touched my hair, HANDFULS fell out. Thousands of hairs a day.

And I didn't cut.

I heard that a lot of hair falls out in the months after childbirth, and I'm wondering now if I should get it cut afterwards. I want to keep it the way it is now during confinement (can't wash hair in the first postpartum month) because it's easy maintenance, but I don't like the idea of lots of hair falling out.... (especially having gotten used to hair hardly shedding in the past 9 months!)

Also, my sisters keep telling me to donate my hair, and that seems like a good idea... I mean, if it's going to fall out and become thin anyway...

I did not cut my hair, and I am (mostly) glad of it. It was horrendously, frighteningly thin on the ends, and I have been trimming back to BSL trying to make the length look healthy.

The good news is that I started taking biotin when Baby Kitty was about 7 months old, and this slowed, then stopped the shedding. Whether or not I was or wasn't breastfeeding had no effect on the shed whatsoever.

My new growth is thicker and wavier than my hair has ever been. The longest bits are just past shoulder now. Any length above shoulder looks AWFUL on me - ages and fattens me - so I was not willing to cut.

And of COURSE you can wash your hair after giving birth! Whoever told you you can't?!? I had an 'emergency' C-section, was incapacitated for a couple of days, and remember my first shower with great relish - DH sat there with me in the hospital bathroom just to make sure I didn't fall over, and yes, I washed my hair. Having a new baby is the best way to force yourself to 'put your hair up and forget it' too, and with your length you can do a lot more updos than I ever could.

Donating your hair is not necessarily the best idea, since the companies that accept these donations often have bad business practices (and your hair does NOT go to children with cancer). My sister sold her hair after cutting it off after a bad breakup - that at least seems more honest.

hth!

mrs_coffee
May 5th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I didn't notice any major thinning of my hair with any of my pregnancies. I know it's supposed to happen, but if it did it wasn't enough for me to realize.

ilovelonghair
May 5th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I heard that a lot of hair falls out in the months after childbirth, and I'm wondering now if I should get it cut afterwards. I want to keep it the way it is now during confinement (can't wash hair in the first postpartum month)

Confinement? Is there a medical issue? Or maybe I don't understand the meaning of confinement. Why can't you wash your hair the first month? All women I know who had a child just washed their hair.

bella77
May 5th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I would not cut, except if you want a change. You need to be happy. But I can tell in my experience it is much easier to put hair up and not have to worry about it, than having to shower and style short hair. After having 3 kids, I did not notice any major hair loss, but my hair did shed the hairs that I kept during pregnancy, but not all at one time. I nursed for 6 months so I think it was gradual. But you need to do what makes you happy. Congrats on the pregnancy also!!

spitfire511
May 5th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I'm with the others - I'd wait and see what your hair does before deciding.

I lost quite a lot of hair with both of mine. To be honest, what was frustrating for me was not the losing of hair. I have a good bit so it never looked bad. What I hated intensely was the regrowth. I had baby hairs sticking out of my head all over the place.

That was what prompted me to cut, and honestly I wish now that I had not. I don't have major regret because even though it's now at my least favorite length, it looks better. However, I do wish that I'd toughed through it.

I'm also interested to know why you can't wash your hair for a month postpartum. Yes, you'll need to have someone probably in the bathroom if you're going to take a shower in the early days, but there's no need to not wash your hair? (unless this is a tradition in your family/culture/something that I'm not aware of - in which case definitely no offense meant!)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Mesmerise
May 5th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I know after my kids I cut off a few inches as my hair was getting straggly, but probably only to about APL or so (from BSL or BSL+ kinda). I see your hair is only a i in thickness though, so if you do have a big shed, you may end up with quite thin hair. I guess it's a lot less problematic for those with thicker hair!

I'd also agree with other though, that you wait until AFTER you give birth to see what happens! You may not have a big shed, or you may... only time will tell. If your hair does start to shed a lot and becomes quite thin, then you can choose to cut it. If not, then there's no reason to cut! You may also not need to cut off all that much if you do decide to cut. Most women I see with young babies don't have noticeably thin hair, even when it's long!

Firefox7275
May 5th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Confinement? Is there a medical issue? Or maybe I don't understand the meaning of confinement. Why can't you wash your hair the first month? All women I know who had a child just washed their hair.

It may be a cultural or religious custom, there are people from many ethnic backgrounds using LHC.

ETA: The OP is Chinese living in India according to her profile. :)

Firefox7275
May 5th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Hello!

I've been growing out my hair for a few years now, and it's past waist, on my way to tailbone! Well, I'm also pregnant so that has helped the growth A LOT.

What do you think?

Although you cannot fully control the hormonal changes that occur after your baby is born, you can help your body to recover. This includes taking good care to ensure that you have a nutritious diet and are eating sufficient calories for yourself and your newborn (if you are breast feeding). Stress can contribute to hair loss, and being sleep deprived puts the body into a state of stress. :(

I notice from your profile you are vegetarian so you may be more aware of nutrition than the average person, but one mistake females make is not eating regularly, or not eating enough protein early in the day. The body cannot store spare protein and it's a key nutrient for healing and hair growth. :)

Chibbylick
May 5th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I have had four children, and experienced a major shed after only two of them. You may very well not have a shedding problem at all. Congratulations, and best wished for the coming time of wonderful change for you!

ladyfey
May 5th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I had twins, I did notice shedding, but it didn't make my hair look noticably thinner. Just noticed more hair on the floors. I didn't cut and I'm glad I didn't. I assume that the no hair washing for the first month is due to cultural/traditional/religious reasons. I have to say that if I couldn't wash my hair for a month I personally would cut it. I hated waiting three days until I was out of ICU, first thing I did when I moved to post-partum was shower!

HuggyBear
May 5th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I have had 3 children and never experienced excessive shedding with any of them. Thankfully, it doesn't happen to everyone so unless you are wanting a shorter style, don't cut. :)

jojo
May 5th, 2011, 08:29 AM
My hair grew from very short to bsl during my last pregnancy but with both pregnancies my hair never shed more after, some peoples do though. The only thing that changed was my hair went darker and curlier. Id leave your hair as it is and re-evaluate after you have had your baby.

elbow chic
May 5th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I think if you love your hair long, you should leave it be. :) Even if you shed a lot, there will be new regrowth and everything will level out by the time the baby is walking. :)

It probably won't be thin if it wasn't before you got pregnant. It just seems like a lot of hair because you've hardly shed at all during the pregnancy.

azhie
May 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM
My mother and her family really believes in traditional chinese tradition of confinement for 28 days following childbirth. The practices vary, but as far as cleaning goes, my mom says I can't bathe or wash my hair for the whole month. It's supposed to keep the 'wind' out and the body warm, which helps recovery. It sounds gross (I never even heard of it until I got pregnant), but since I'm under my parents' roof during that period, I plan to do my best to follow what I can (too tired to argue) because I won't compromise on other aspects. So for confinement I was just planning to keep my hair up the whole time and see how long I last. Some people I know use dry shampoo. But I don't want to go through losing handfuls of hair!

I'm also interested to know why you can't wash your hair for a month postpartum. Yes, you'll need to have someone probably in the bathroom if you're going to take a shower in the early days, but there's no need to not wash your hair? (unless this is a tradition in your family/culture/something that I'm not aware of - in which case definitely no offense meant!)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

azhie
May 8th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies!! It sure is nice to know that not everyone sheds hair afterwards. I shed a lot more before pregnancy, but hopefully with all the new hair care routines I learned on LHC, I can help reduce that, even with thin hair. My mother, aunts and cousins who go through confinement (they call it 'sitting month' in chinese) cut their hair short. But I really like my hair long and so does my dh. :) Only he says I should not make conflicts with my family. So I'm on my own on this one! I guess for now I will wait and see what happens after childbirth.

azhie
May 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I didn't know this--

My sisters thinks having long hair that isn't washed daily is not hygienic, so might as well do some charity with it. I would need to do a lot more research on this tho!

Donating your hair is not necessarily the best idea, since the companies that accept these donations often have bad business practices (and your hair does NOT go to children with cancer). My sister sold her hair after cutting it off after a bad breakup - that at least seems more honest.

hth!

Mesmerise
May 9th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I didn't know this--

My sisters thinks having long hair that isn't washed daily is not hygienic, so might as well do some charity with it. I would need to do a lot more research on this tho!

Honestly? There's no difference between long hair that's not washed daily, and short hair that's not washed daily. There's no difference in hygiene, especially if the hair is worn up!

If you really aren't keen on keeping your long hair, then by all means cut it. But if you DO want to keep it, then don't listen to other people's opinions, especially if they aren't based on solid knowledge. I don't at all see how having shorter hair is somehow "cleaner". In fact, long hair worn up is most likely cleaner than short hair (which you're more likely to mess around with).

Besides, if you can't wash your body for 28 days at all, then you've got worse issues than dirty hair! Hair tends to do better with infrequent washing than your body does, which needs washing generally more often than hair! Tie your hair back and it will probably be the cleanest part of you (as it isn't directly touching your skin, which will likely get dirty in that time due to sweating, shed skin cells etc. etc.).

chachagrace
September 6th, 2011, 10:26 AM
The way I understand post-partume shedding is this: During pregancy you stop shedding the normal 100 hairs a day. That's why preg-hair seems so thick and shiny and wonderful. The post-partum shed is just your head getting rid of these extra hairs. It's different for everyone I suppose, but that is the just, as explained to me by a CNM friend. I started growing my hair when I was pregnant (and it was shorttt!) and now it is ASL at 13 months postpartum. I lost a bunch of hair but it seems to be a normal thickness still.

Rosetta
September 6th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I have had 2 children and didn't really lose any hair after having them.
Same here. (At least not that I'd have noticed, so I probably didn't ;))
And I didn't cut, either.

But I'm not sure what you meant by this:

can't wash hair in the first postpartum month

Sunshineliz
September 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
She was due in June, so presumably has had the baby and period of confinement. Wonder how it went?

ETA: And to add info in the event this thread is useful to someone else--I didn't really notice the postpartum shed much. Well, except that I sure notice the multitude of short baby hairs afterward!

utdesertrunner
September 6th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I have had 4 children (due with number 5 in a few weeks) and I didn't notice anything drastic as far as shedding. But my hair is uber thick anyways. But I would wait and see what happens first. How much were you thinking of cutting? I ALWAYS cave and cut my hair during pregnancy and end up hating it. I think long hair is way easier than short hair to take care of as far as styling and pulling back after baby comes.

dulce
September 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I didn't loose any with my 3 pregnancies,did lose some with some serious surgeries with general anesthetic but it grew back! I vote don't cut,even if some fell out,it grows back.Don't listen to all the nay sayers in your personal life.When pregnant,I had a "friend" tell me,"Of course you're going to get rid of your dog once the new baby is born?".I had a german sheperd then and she was the best dog ever with all my young kids,so gentle and loving,always patient.I didn't get rid of her.Don't worry,do what you want to do and ignore everything else.As a side note ,my long waist length hair with babies/pregnancies was so much easier to deal with, than short salon hair needing to be styled and constantly maintained.I never got the "mom" cut and was glad I didn't.

Lucky
September 6th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I did have a big post partum shed after both my kids were born, and I cut my hair off after my 1st child was born - and regretted it!
I agree with other posters, I think long hair would acutally be easier, you can quickly pull it back and get on with things. But, of course, it's ultimately your decision :)
In any case, I would suggest waiting until after your baby is born to see if it's inconvenient or not and to see the extent of your shed (if any). Congrats on the baby on the way!

dulce
September 6th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I also don't know what you meant by no washing in the first postpartum month,I had both regular and cesarean births and could wash my hair the next day with each.There is always dry shampoo.Shorter hair would look awful with a month of no washing[no way to hide it other than a hat],but at least with long hair you can pin it up to hide the fact.My easy fast pin up style is twist your hair,then coil in a low nape bun[no elastics or hair pins] then use a beak or ficcarre clip or spin pins.You can also do a figure 8 this way too or a french twist.

Sunshineliz
September 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I also don't know what you meant by no washing in the first postpartum month,I had both regular and cesarean births and could wash my hair the next day with each.There is always dry shampoo.Shorter hair would look awful with a month of no washing[no way to hide it other than a hat],but at least with long hair you can pin it up to hide the fact.My easy fast pin up style is twist your hair,then coil in a low nape bun[no elastics or hair pins] then use a beak or ficcarre clip or spin pins.You can also do a figure 8 this way too or a french twist.

She explains in this post:):

My mother and her family really believes in traditional chinese tradition of confinement for 28 days following childbirth. The practices vary, but as far as cleaning goes, my mom says I can't bathe or wash my hair for the whole month. It's supposed to keep the 'wind' out and the body warm, which helps recovery. It sounds gross (I never even heard of it until I got pregnant), but since I'm under my parents' roof during that period, I plan to do my best to follow what I can (too tired to argue) because I won't compromise on other aspects. So for confinement I was just planning to keep my hair up the whole time and see how long I last. Some people I know use dry shampoo. But I don't want to go through losing handfuls of hair!

dulce
September 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks Sunshineliz! Now it makes sense.My vote is to still keep it long and experiment with easy pin back dos before the baby arrives.If you cut but really like it long, you will regret it and it takes a long time to grow back.

dulce
September 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Short hair will look very greasy and be difficult to style after a month of no shampoo,dry shampoo will make it very powdery and give odd texture to the hair making it difficult to style short hair work if you use it for the whole month.With long hair pinned up you can camouflage the fact easier that it hasn't been washed,in my opinion it will look better up greasy than down and short and greasy. Now am not knocking short hair,this is only my personal opinion on what is easier and looks best for this specific situation.In the end, do what you really want to do,that is what is important!

spidermom
September 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I cut my hair short after the birth of both my children, more because I didn't like sticky little baby fingers clutching it than because it was shedding and getting thin. I was o.k. during the day, but at night baby would cry, I'd get up with hair stringing down around my face, and baby would grab it and hang on like a little monkey. And if baby had been vomiting or had a diaper blow-out, it was on the hands and in my hair. Bleh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/SHORT.jpg
ha baby! fooled you; try grabbing a handful of THAT!

ssjhotau2
September 6th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I cut my hair short after the birth of both my children, more because I didn't like sticky little baby fingers clutching it than because it was shedding and getting thin. I was o.k. during the day, but at night baby would cry, I'd get up with hair stringing down around my face, and baby would grab it and hang on like a little monkey. And if baby had been vomiting or had a diaper blow-out, it was on the hands and in my hair. Bleh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol this is why I cut my hair a month after having my son. Even if I had it in an bun or braid his hands would find it and just pull and pull.
I had split ends and layers that I'd been planning on slowly trimming out anyways so I went for a blunt APL cut that reduced all that.

Granted I had horrific amounts of hair falling out of my head from month 4 all the way past his first birthday and I'm glad I cut mostly because now those hairs are just part of my V :) but it was quite depressing those first few months of growth with my halo of baby hairs.

Netabug
September 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I had a pretty major shed but my hair is fairly thick normally. So with not shedding at all during pregnancy I was ready for it to go. Even with all the shedding my hair ended up about the same thickness as before pregnancy. That being said. I did cut my hair up to my chin and ended up hating it. Long hair is easier with a newborn. You put it up and forget about it. Short hair you have to style and it is pretty obvious if its not clean. Anyhow that's just my .02.

spidermom
September 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Long hair is easier with a newborn. You put it up and forget about it. Short hair you have to style and it is pretty obvious if its not clean. Anyhow that's just my .02.

During the day, putting it up worked pretty well. But in the middle of the night? Even when I went to bed with my hair pulled up and back, it was all over the place by the wee hours of the morning. My short hair required no styling. I didn't even have to comb it! Shower/wash/go!

I hated the growing out part, though.

embee
September 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I was sorry I cut my hair after baby #2. It looked horrible, I hadn't the $$ to keep it nicely trimmed and styled so it just looked shaggy and unkempt. As I was feeling ugly anyway it didn't help one bit.

I am interested to know how the OP managed. I've been on a NW/SO routine now since last October and am ok, but I'm old and don't know that it would have worked when I was young and more prone to The Greasies..

As for baby grabbing the hair, I found that baby could grab the short hair just about is easily as long hair that I wore pulled back, and it was always the tender little front hairs near my temples. Or, worse yet, my earrings - YeeeOWCCCCH! :(

Chetanlaiho
September 7th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Hmm DBF is Chinese, I do hope he (or his family) don't do the confinement thing ^^; although not washing your hair for a month sounds kinda, nice actually xD (though I would definitely practice the NW/SO method with preening and all!) but no washing for a month, I'm pretty lazy but that doesn't sound very nice to me ^^;

I'd love to hear how everything was for the OP :)

andrea1982
September 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
For most people, post partum shedding doesn't start until about 4 months after the baby's birth. My second baby is 8 months old, and I started shedding at about four months post partum, and the shedding lasted about 2-3 months. I have really thick hair, and it seemed like a lot, like handfulls every shower, and at least 10 hairs every time I ran my hands through my hair. I did end up cutting my hair into a bob this time, because it was grossing me out a lot, and the extra housecleaning and caring for two kids was bumming me out. I don't really regret the cut, because I wanted to stop using henna anyway. (and didn't really want to live with two toned hair). If you have no other reason to to cut your hair, you may want to try and bear through it. The shedding lasts for such a short time, and it does grow back (I look like I have baby bangs right now!) Keeping it up or braided helps contain the shedding hairs. Prenatal vitamins help to prevent shedding from Iron deficiency.

You shouldn't have to worry about excessive shedding during your month of confinment though, because it really doesn't start until about 3-4 months after the baby's birth.

UltraBella
September 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I am another mom who cut her hair after having a baby. I don't regret it, it was super cute and so much easier to take care of.
I didn't notice any post partum shedding at all. I was prepared for it since other people had told me it would happen, but I didn't experience it.

MychelleC
September 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
When we decided to have a baby my husband and I made a firm handshake agreement that he would impregnate me if I promised not to cut off my hair after having the baby. We both kept our end of the bargains! Yes, my little man thinks pulling my hair is a fun game but I keep it back most of the time and it hasn't been a problem. I think short hair would be a lot more work, personally, because it requires styling. I love that my hair will be deeply rooted in my childrens memories. That is special to me. And many men do see a woman cutting her long hair off after childbirth as akin to her cutting off her sexuality (no offense to anyone, this is just what the men in my life told me at the time). It is hard the first few months to find time to shower, but I am glad I stuck it through with my long hair intact. Whenever this comes up amongst the women I know I say "don't do it!" Unless you really want to, in which case donating the hair is a wonderful idea.

Maktub
September 7th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I didn't know this--

You're in India ?

Watch these videos on what happens with donated hair... it's a huge HUGE multi-billion dollar business ...

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGigLa23vuA&feature=fvsr

Good Hair :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So

(This is the trailer, but the comedy/documentary can be found online and it explains the "donated hair trade" in india)

And I would wait and see what happens first ! You love your hair, keep it and see ! One month without washing can actually be good for the hair itself. Keep it away in a secure do' and everything will be fine !!

Wish you all the best and congratulations !!

Crysta
September 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Don't let other people tell you what to do with your hair. [sisters telling you to donate it]
Always with things like this research research research. I'm glad OP came to ask about it here :)

On having parents with strict traditional Chinese THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE attitudes - I feel your pain, I REALLY do.

island_girl
May 7th, 2019, 05:16 AM
I'm 17 months postpartum and still shedding. My hair was already at a i thickness before pregnancy and probably got up to ii during pregnancy but now...well, now, the length of it is so thin, you can always, always, ALWAYS see my clothes through it. I lost 1/3 of my hair after childbirth.

I hesitate to cut, because I have an abnormally slow growth pattern and because my hair has a tendency to curl/wave/frizz, which is harder to control when it's short. But currently, my hair looks bad when worn down (very thin, wispy, damaged, and dry) and bad when up, because the pieces in the front are too short to pin up, so they curl out at 90-degree angles. I'm at a loss. Thinking of a buzz cut or a wig.

spitfire511
May 7th, 2019, 06:56 AM
I'm 17 months postpartum and still shedding. My hair was already at a i thickness before pregnancy and probably got up to ii during pregnancy but now...well, now, the length of it is so thin, you can always, always, ALWAYS see my clothes through it. I lost 1/3 of my hair after childbirth.

I hesitate to cut, because I have an abnormally slow growth pattern and because my hair has a tendency to curl/wave/frizz, which is harder to control when it's short. But currently, my hair looks bad when worn down (very thin, wispy, damaged, and dry) and bad when up, because the pieces in the front are too short to pin up, so they curl out at 90-degree angles. I'm at a loss. Thinking of a buzz cut or a wig.

so sorry that you're dealing with this! Have you discussed the shedding with your Dr? I continued some shed while nursing - though not as much as you describe (though I have hormonal/seasonal/stress sheds all the time now that are enough to change my hair typing thickness). Is it possible some supplementation and/pr physical troubleshooting are in order?

The curls in the front are something I live with constantly (sheds always come back super curly and the ones on top sometimes stick straight up. ARGH.

Other than visiting your MD, do you think that you could trim and really maintain it (I love nightshades article for this! http://web.archive.org/web/20120122064345/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)

I have some super goofy photos after kiddo 2 where I had clips (like the snappy ones that are all metal or bobby pins) holding those front pieces back... I just ignored them and went on with it - I feel like the more we can ignore it when it's in one of these stages, the easier it is to get through them. But will add that I kept cutting back again and again - and have finally reached waist - my 2nd kiddo is now 9 - so - yeah.... :D

Good luck with this and let us know how you go - if you're truly wanting to let it grow, try to get it out of the way, ignore it - use headbands or bobby pins to keep those front pieces at bay (I've been known to gel them down too - though they seem to stick up worse once the gel lets go) micro-trim regularly and maintain until it's longer? Or if you feel you. need a fresh start - we all get that too! Most of us have done it!! :flower:

lapushka
May 7th, 2019, 07:39 AM

My mom was an average ii before pregnancy and throughout her teens. Then after pregnancy she went considerably thinner and did not regain the thickness. Then after menopause hit she became i. She was i/ii during her 40s but her hair was fiery red (dyed) and way past BSL and she always wore it up in a bee-butt bun. You don't have to cut it because it is thinning or thinner. There is a whole thread here dedicated to fine, thin hair. Maybe look that one up. Wait... I'll even link it for you!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115&highlight=fine+thin

There you go!

island_girl
May 7th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Thank you for the encouragement! I have a hair appointment on May 16 and am going to at least trim it, but probably likely -- and unfortunately -- cut off all the length I gained during my pregnancy and, indeed, the last 2-3 years. This puts me back to where I have started again and again -- shoulder length -- which I have been unable to get past for close to 10 years now.

I've noticed my big shed didn't occur until approximately 12 months after my son's birth, which seems odd. There are photos of my hair from before then, where it still looks thicker and can hold a curl. Now, as I mentioned, the only way to describe it is wispy and dry and shapeless. I don't even think it's at a i thickness anymore; most clips won't stay in because of how thin it is, and a ponytail is laughably small (as in, the width of a pencil).

I'm also going to schedule a doctor appointment to get everything checked out. I went through an awful breakup and custody case last year, and I think the stress took a GIGANTIC toll on my body (maybe also my hair). It's possible this is more of a stress shed than a postpartum shed, but because they came about almost simultaneously, I chalked it up to that.

I'll check out those links. I don't heat style regularly, but I dye my hair every three months. I think that's my major hair sin at this point. I don't see a ton of splits or white dots.

Libra4
May 7th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Nope. Not for everyone. You have to go through it to know if you'll have a lot of shedding or even hair loss. But I feel like you'll end up regretting your decision of cutting it. Take the pregnancy as a boost towards your hair goal and just go with the flow.

spitfire511
May 7th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Thank you for the encouragement! I have a hair appointment on May 16 and am going to at least trim it, but probably likely -- and unfortunately -- cut off all the length I gained during my pregnancy and, indeed, the last 2-3 years. This puts me back to where I have started again and again -- shoulder length -- which I have been unable to get past for close to 10 years now.

I've noticed my big shed didn't occur until approximately 12 months after my son's birth, which seems odd. There are photos of my hair from before then, where it still looks thicker and can hold a curl. Now, as I mentioned, the only way to describe it is wispy and dry and shapeless. I don't even think it's at a i thickness anymore; most clips won't stay in because of how thin it is, and a ponytail is laughably small (as in, the width of a pencil).

I'm also going to schedule a doctor appointment to get everything checked out. I went through an awful breakup and custody case last year, and I think the stress took a GIGANTIC toll on my body (maybe also my hair). It's possible this is more of a stress shed than a postpartum shed, but because they came about almost simultaneously, I chalked it up to that.

I'll check out those links. I don't heat style regularly, but I dye my hair every three months. I think that's my major hair sin at this point. I don't see a ton of splits or white dots.

Well that likely explains a LOT. I stress shed very badly and always once it's over. What I lost after my divorce was insane (and I DID chop back to collarbone at that time - so I feel you there! Sometimes that change is just in order too!)

But I will say that if you nurse the baby - it can forestall the shed until after that winds down - at least I did. Don't know if that figures in for you too - but worth mentioning. Sounds like you've had a LOT happening and need a good break with some positive things going on!! :flowers:

lapushka
May 7th, 2019, 03:43 PM

Do check out the fine, thin hair thread link, because you might want to before going shoulder length! IMO it's not necessary, but that is just my 2 cts.

My mom dyes her hair 3 to 4 times a year as well and her hair is the width of a flexi rod, about that. She is currently about APL.

embee
May 7th, 2019, 03:51 PM
I'd want to make sure it was long enough to pull back, at least into a half-up.