PDA

View Full Version : i hate my ears!

ALYSSA
May 4th, 2011, 09:38 PM
hello peoples! :) i dont think i have found a thrread like this i searched. my apologies if there is. i love updos but..well, you see im very insecure about my ears. i know this may sound silly but to me it isnt. i feel like they are too pale and big. i KNOW they are not but i FEEL as though they are and i hate to show them no matter what. the problem is i love updos but i dont know of any that will conceal my ears? so do any of u have any tips or tricks to updos? id really appreciate it! :cheese:

dollface
May 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM
i normally have some side layers that i leave loose when doing up-dos, i'm not fond of my ears either ^^

Fethenwen
May 5th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I don't like my ears either. I usually put some hair on top of my ears when I wear updos, and some shorter layers in front. So they don't show much. Also some earrings hide some flaws in them. I also wear scarves from time to time.

Yeah, having big ears is annoying, but there are some tricks you can do to hide them :)

jojo
May 5th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I only have teeny ears but my daughter has large ears but she wears like a scarf folded into a head band and tied at the front, it just skims over her ears. Also she wears flower hair clips which distract the eye from her ears. I personally don't know why she worries about !

Firefox7275
May 5th, 2011, 08:44 AM
If you are aware that your ears are fine yet they are still making you unhappy, perhaps you could get some help from your doctor? You might have some kind of phobia or mild body dysmorphia that would respond to counselling, cognitive behavioural therapy or medication. The reason I suggest that is that it's not possible to cover your ears all the time without missing out on some experiences or opportunities, which would be really sad. :o

Silverdragn7385
May 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
It's not that I don't like my ears themselves...I just don't like for them to show for some reason. Still haven't pinpointed the root of that one, haha.

I have side pieces that I brush & spray back so that they cover my ears. Also, when I put my hair up, I pull at the hair on the sides of the ponytail so that it gets loose enough to hang down & cover the top half of my ears.

весна
May 5th, 2011, 10:51 AM
You shouldn't worry if you're aware of the fact that only you think of your ears as big. Besides, everyone probably looks at your hair more than your ears. ;) Maybe you could try jewelery or something once and see how you feel. Maybe you'd get used to it with time.

Theobroma
May 5th, 2011, 11:05 AM
This is actually pretty easy as long as you bun low. When you pull your hair together at the back of your neck in preparation for twisting it into a bun, make sure the hair coming round the sides of your head is on the outside of your ears and not pushed back behind them. I've got the top 50% of my ears covered in this way right this minute, and I could easily manage to cover them completely if I wanted to.

(I have no strong feelings about my ears one way or another; I just happen to like the softer look that this kind of updo creates when viewed from the front.)

spidermom
May 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I noticed in old-timey hair styles, it was customary to cover the ears, and women would leave the side hairs in front of the ears down while they secured the back, then arrange the side pieces to cover the ears and pin them back last.

sibylla
May 5th, 2011, 12:25 PM
If you use make-up you can have a darker foundation on your ears or blend a brown khol with your foundation to make your ears appear smaller.If you really hate your ears you should consider surgery.Maybe a couple of piercings draw the attention from them.I know how you feel.

ALYSSA
May 5th, 2011, 05:45 PM
thank you so much! all of your suggestions are so helpful! yes i am thinking about surgery but i am young so i want to think about it for a while its nice to know im not the onky one who feels this way i feel okay now :) do any of u have pics of updos to cover ears? i would appreciat it but if not its okay again thank you so much!

HintOfMint
May 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Every single time I have heard a person complain about their ears, I have looked and found nothing wrong with them. In fact, I have never seen a pair of ears look so out there that they made a person look less pretty. Never, not once.

Food for thought.

Honestwitness
May 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I have big ears, too, and the older I get, the bigger they get. Someone on this forum once told me that, in China, big ears are a sign of good fortune. That made me more accepting of my ears. However, I prefer my ears covered anyway, because I don't like them to get cold. If you look at my updos album, you can see my attempts at updos that keep the ears somewhat covered.

Spidermom, thanks for the info about the vintage hairstyle technique of covering the ears last. I am trying to incorporate something similar. I have cut shorter pieces in front of both ears. I can let them hang loose out of an updo and it distracts attention away from my gargantuan ears. Sometimes, I curl them with a curling iron. If I decide to let them grow out, I can use your idea about pinning them back as the last step in making an updo.

ALYSSA
May 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
do you thing layers might help to conceal them better?

NotInPortland
May 7th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have big ears as well, it's mainly my earlobes, they're HUGE, like way longer and wider than the average persons ears. For instance with the typical smallish hoop earrings that many people wear,well they look ridiculous on me because the hoop still touches the end of my lobe because it's so big! They always used to bother me when I was a bit younger but I just have learned not to focus on them so much and I'm pretty much over it and don't worry about them anymore, my Dad and my Grandad actually have the exact same ears with the really big lobes I've noticed and it makes me laugh that we all have the same ears :) You should try not to worry so much they're just ears after all, try to accept what you have and embrace it!

:)

DoubleCrowned
May 7th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Ann, the girl who won the last Top Model series the last time has large ears. They sure didn't matter, did they?

tigr
May 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
There are a lot of pictures of Queen Victoria with her hair covering her ears.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Franz_Xaver_Winterhalter_Family_of_Queen_Vict oria.jpg

Similar 'do, no crown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Queen_Victoria_the_Princess_Royal_Victoria_c1 844-5.png

Little braids in the front: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Young_Queen_Victoria.jpg

Same portrait, just closer up: http://www.btinternet.com/~sbishop100/vic13.jpg (http://www.btinternet.com/%7Esbishop100/vic13.jpg)

ALYSSA
May 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Tigr thank you so much! you just made my day
thank you for all the replies i feel better knowing there ARE styles to help my situation. Also, that there are other people who feel the same as myself