PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like your waves and wurls?

Sunshineliz
May 4th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I have a 5 year-old daughter who is about a 2c. I think her wurliness is quite pretty but she is frustrated because she wants to look like Rapunzel--you know, long, straight and blond. She's also jealous of her older sister, who we just discovered is probably really a 2a but looks straight most of the time.

Today she screamed in frustration when she tried to put up the hood on her jacket and her hair poofed around her face! I keep trying to tell her she's lovely with wurls and curls, and am trying to think of wonderful things to tell her about wurliness. I thought maybe if people told me why they like their waves and wurls I could help her better? (Besides I discovered my waviness recently and am slightly wary of it--she's probably sensing that. This might help me too!)

So why do you like your waves and wurls? Why are you glad you are this hairtype?

krissykins
May 4th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Wurls and curls stand out more, IMO. How many people do you see with straightened hair these days? Variety is the spice of life. It's more fun to stand out. I always feel like I give off a "wild child" vibe with my wurls :)

x0h_bother
May 4th, 2011, 06:23 PM
2s are more flexible, we can have the best of both worlds. A healthy looking 2 is gorgeous! I never liked being a 2 until I came to LHC and saw picture after picture of beautiful 2s, maybe if she saw her hairtype in mainstream media more often she'd like it better.

spidermom
May 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I love it when I get long ringlets; it's got such a romantic, fairy princess quality.

People with straight hair often complain that it just hangs there and looks flat on top. I never have that problem.

jojo
May 4th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I like having the best of both worlds too, i can have waves when i want them or I can blow dry straight (which I tend to be doing a lot lately oops) but I love wavy hair and on tiny tots its adorable. I just love all hair!

Jimothea
May 4th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I've always of thought wavy-wurly-curly hair as "princess hair." Who knows why...well, actually, I'm now remembering the "Mawwwiage...mawwiage is what bwings us toge-whar" scene from the Princess Bride, and Princess Buttercup has these pretty, cascading braidwaves. Oh, I see someone else said something similar (just scrolled). Yes, very "romantic."

As far as kid movies go, btw, Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz also has wurly hair. It's pretty much straight on top, but wurls at her halo, and then spirals in her pigtails. How's that for combo hair?!

Ditto to everything everyone else said, actually...

Quixotica
May 4th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I love my waves and wurls because they're 'different'.....and I feel like they match my personality! I don't feel like myself when I wear my hair straight - it feels confined :)

Speckla
May 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Curls are pretty!

nucleardelusion
May 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Because mermaids have waves, of course! ;) Many of the Lord of the Rings ladies were depicted in the movies with waves too, sooo pretty.

JulietCapulet
May 4th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I have curly hair and even many of my family members and friends at school never realized it as I have been straightening it for so long. I am a closet glasses wearing curly haired curl who masquerades as a straight haired girl that doesn't need glasses.

I honestly don't like my curls 90% of the time but there are those 10% that I simply love them.

VitaR86
May 4th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I think its something she is going to appreciate when she gets older. I hated my hair too when I was younger. I wanted my hair to be curly, not wavy. I used to beg my mom to let me get a perm. (I never got one though) I never liked my wave till I got towards the end of high school.

racrane
May 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Hmn, I loved my waves when I was little because I loved Annie as a child and she had curls! I appreciate my waves now because they're different from most girls who have stick straight hair and I can do things more with it. They hold hairstyles better, I have found. But some Disney princesses have wavy hair, I know. Maybe show her those, if you are okay with it? Beautiful women with pretty wavy hair.

Sunshineliz
May 5th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I think she's feeling a little better now. I told her about mermaids, princesses, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White (the disney versions) and she started smiling. Then she touched my hair and said it was pretty too! She's a sweetie.

Alot of her frustration also stems from the fact that she tends to develop her few spirals around her face and she hates them getting in her face. That hair is a bit shorter too as she gave herself a haircut a few years ago to get the hair out of her face. Guess I could use a few soft headbands around here.:)

I'm loving hearing why people love their waves and wurls! Keep them coming!

spidermom
May 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I also like the fact that I don't know what my hair is going to do from day to day. On a dry day, it can be 1B straight. On a humid day, especially if I washed it the night before and let it dry in a puddle above my pillow, it can be full of 3A spirals. I get everything in-between. Straight hair is the same every day.

Bene
May 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I like my waves and wurls and curls because I really don't have a choice BUT to like them. It'd be a sucky existence if I didn't like what's growing out of my head.

Theobroma
May 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I like my curls because they took me completely by surprise -- until a few months ago when I finally took the plunge and let my hair airdry loose, I thought it was fairly straight. I like my curls because I can have a headful of corkscrewing ringlets one day and loose waves the next (after combing it out). I like my curls because they're just tight enough to have good spiral definition but loose enough that I can easily put my hair into a sleek-looking updo.

And I must admit I'm surprised by all those "I likes" up there. I always used to wish my hair was straighter and smoother. Now that I'm learning how to manage what I've got, I'm really growing rather fond of it. :)

Animae
May 5th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I like my wild waves and curls because it makes me different. I feel that it shows that i'm more care-free and not uptight. I can run and play in the rain and not worry that my blow out is going to be ruined.

You could always remind your daughter that it is better to be a wolf than a sheep.

Roseate
May 5th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I love the way my wurls behave in an updo. It's almost impossible for me to look too slicked-back and buttoned-up, there's always a little softness and movement in my hair.

KatiSasha
May 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I think she's feeling a little better now. I told her about mermaids, princesses, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White (the disney versions) and she started smiling. Then she touched my hair and said it was pretty too! She's a sweetie.

Alot of her frustration also stems from the fact that she tends to develop her few spirals around her face and she hates them getting in her face. That hair is a bit shorter too as she gave herself a haircut a few years ago to get the hair out of her face. Guess I could use a few soft headbands around here.:)

I'm loving hearing why people love their waves and wurls! Keep them coming!

Maybe you could show her some pretty and romantic pictures with women with curls around their faces and how beautiful they look. Like this one:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7783&pictureid=102019

Girls with straight hair always complain that they can't get curls, while we can get away with tighter ones (rag curls), loose waves (brushed out), Hollywood curls (rollers) and oh so many more styles :)

Theobroma
May 5th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I love the way my wurls behave in an updo. It's almost impossible for me to look too slicked-back and buttoned-up, there's always a little softness and movement in my hair.

Ha, yes! I should have mentioned that too. Curly hair rocks! :D

WittyWordsmith
May 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I love the dimensions and the way the waves can change from day to day. It seems easier to style overall and hold styles and product better than some I've talked to with straight hair.

But it's also nice to have some natural style in your 'do! :) On the days that you really don't want to do anything, you really don't have to!

FoxRain
May 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
People mostly want what they haven't got. My hair has been stick straight the most of my life. I wished for curls or at least waves so badly. Meanwhile I had to watch my friend straighten the life out of their hair to make it look like mine:rolleyes: The world is such a funny place.

KrissyKitty
May 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM
When I was a little kid I begged my mom to put my hair into rollers so that I could look more like Shirley Temple, who I adored.

Now I love my curls because it's a part of loving myself.

lapushka
May 5th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Maybe if you show her other pictures, of princesses or girls with her kind of hair? Jennifer Connelly looked great in her princess dress (http://www.google.be/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1109&bih=577&site=search&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=labyrinth+jennifer+connelly&oq=labyrinth+jennifer+connelly&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=315l649l0l3l2l0l0l0l1l201l313l0.1.1) in the movie Labyrinth.

If she wants Rapunzel hair, there's probably not that much you can do to change her mind, even if her hair looks great right now. Getting her to accept her hair might be tough if she doesn't like it. Maybe she doesn't like the extra poof the new routine is creating as that's the exact opposite of what she wants her hair to be like. Maybe stop trying to encourage the waves for a while (or do it more gradually). Change it up for her. It's going to be tough to try and change the mind of a little girl that has decided she wants *that* kind of princess hair.

Sunshineliz
May 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM
lapushka she loves Labyrinth--especially when she's in her fancy dress. But I don't think I could make her hair like Rapunzel without a magic wand. Besides, these things change. Last year she wanted to look like Tiana from Princess in the Frog and like her best friend and was upset she couldn't have dark skin and african-american hair like them. She's wanted to look like Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella (sensing a pattern here?), etc. Rapunzel is just the latest fascination. Since the only thing that's fairly constant is her hair, I rather hoped to find ways to help her love it.

Besides, she definitely didn't like the poof and frizz she had before I changed her routine. Actually she gets most upset when I haven't done anything to her hair to help with the poof (can't be her personal hairstylist all the time, LOL) Most of the time she doesn't care because she's having too much fun learning and playing. But sometimes she'll get sad or upset over her hair, and I'd love some ammo for those times.

Anyway, I LOVE hearing why everyone loves their wonderful hair!

akuamoonmaui
May 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I like my wurls and curls (even though in my avatar it's straight...ish) because they're interesting to look at and curls are definitely romantique -- although that would be lost on a 5 year old.

Have you tried: because girls with straight hair want curls? Or something to that effect.

lapushka
May 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM
lapushka she loves Labyrinth--especially when she's in her fancy dress. But I don't think I could make her hair like Rapunzel without a magic wand. Besides, these things change. Last year she wanted to look like Tiana from Princess in the Frog and like her best friend and was upset she couldn't have dark skin and african-american hair like them. She's wanted to look like Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella (sensing a pattern here?), etc. Rapunzel is just the latest fascination. Since the only thing that's fairly constant is her hair, I rather hoped to find ways to help her love it.

Besides, she definitely didn't like the poof and frizz she had before I changed her routine. Actually she gets most upset when I haven't done anything to her hair to help with the poof (can't be her personal hairstylist all the time, LOL) Most of the time she doesn't care because she's having too much fun learning and playing. But sometimes she'll get sad or upset over her hair, and I'd love some ammo for those times.

Anyway, I LOVE hearing why everyone loves their wonderful hair!

Telling you that it took more than 30 years to get to know how to deal with my hair, realizing it wasn't straight & frizzy but wavy... that probably isn't going to help much, is it? :o

Oh, BTW, have you looked into the tangle teezer brush? It makes detangling hair so much easier. Lots of wavies, wurlies, curlies love it. There's an entire thread on it here (several even) and YouTube tutorials and reviews.

carmenvanessa
May 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM
waves are far more interesting, never plain! When I feel frustrated with my wavy hair, I try and remember how much I appreciate the versatility and character it has. Different hair cuts change the level of curliness, can straight hair do that? NOPE.

Lianna
May 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I don't really prefer my waves, since I like straight and curly hair too. I'm actually a "wurly", waves in the back, big spirals in the front.

I like them because my layers aren't so obvious, so I can cut layers to avoid the brushy aspect of thick hair. They are versitale, like some said, I usually sport combed out waves (looks 2b), sometimes I brush (BBB) and looks 2a. I could gel and get 2c in the back, but I don't like the hard feeling of gel and like to finger comb often.

I can sleep in a bun and not have wonky hair most of the time (I think that happens because my hair isn't straight). I know some straighties can do this too, but they're often the ones with more problems trying this.

If the hair is thin, waves/curls helps to look thicker.

I actually didn't like my waves before I could control the frizz, have you tried oiling her hair damp after combing? Combing dry just snaps my hair all over, that's why I comb damp (slides easily, not one tangle). If I just let it dry untouched it's a huge frizzball (and tangles), even after an attempt to style.

jojo
May 6th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I also like the fact that I don't know what my hair is going to do from day to day. On a dry day, it can be 1B straight. On a humid day, especially if I washed it the night before and let it dry in a puddle above my pillow, it can be full of 3A spirals. I get everything in-between. Straight hair is the same every day.

your hair sounds very similar to mine!

Aaroo
May 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM

That's exactly what I love..I can experience from 1 to 3 and it all happens by surprise. I can be sure about how they will look after each wash, and its fantastic. I can't stand to look the same way always, so my wavy hair is a bless!

elbow chic
May 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
It's hair with personality!

Sunshineliz
August 2nd, 2011, 07:41 PM
Reviving thread to say 2 things--

DD5 is embracing the wavy wurls better and is longer completely obsessed with Rapunzel. She likes the new "Brave" princess (except for the freckles--there is no way to completely please that girl:rolleyes:)

Next--I found something else to love about waves and wurls--curly neck fuzz! Happy that it's curly and hope that distracts from the weird short hairs.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=109366

QueenJoey
August 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
I've always had very straight hair, but I always dreamed of having a sea of curls. It seemed more like what a princess' hair would look like. Curly hair seems to have more personality.

And it's gorgeous, of course!

Merewen
August 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
I think my wurls are pretty. They're slightly unpredictable, falling in a new pattern each time. The curls look lovely sticking out of an updo. Also, it's a lot less rude to boing your own curls than someone else's (although I can occasionally get away with boinging DH's curls.)

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Ive never liked my hair because it tends to get super fuzzy, but I recently had a good friend find out that her sister has a rare cancer. It really made me think how selfish I had been all these years for complaining about the hair that I wanted instead of appreciating the fact that I have hair. Im learning to love my hair even though its kinda crazy lol, its hard some days, but my DH loves my hair natural over straightening it and my Gran has loved my hair from day one and has always commented on how pretty she thought it was. So I going to start loving what God gave me and not worry about what the latest hairstyle is:)

DarkSky
August 2nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
My little girl is going through the same thing. She has 3c super fine curls. They are oh soo cute but she is jealous of her little sister's 1c hair. I have to tell her that curly hair is princess hair. Also a few days ago I did a google search for "girls with curly hair" and showed her how super cute they all were. She agreed and started to be more positive.

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
I love that my hair never looks flat and thin. I love that the right cut makes my hair always look shiny and interesting. I love that when I do a peacock, my ends don't just poke up, they fall in nice waves. I love that I have control over how sleek or wild my updos look - I can have it totally brushed and braided and slicked down, or I can have it messy and informal and fun. (Well, when my hair is long enough to do updos. Blasted thick hair!)

I don't know if it helps, but one of my cousins (who is on the wurly-maybe-curly side) felt better after we pointed out that everyone hates their hair sometimes.

~Blaze

DarkSky
August 2nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Also I've been told that curls make a person appear more friendly and relaxed. They can also light up your face and gives you more dimension/interest.

I have curly hair and even many of my family members and friends at school never realized it as I have been straightening it for so long. I am a closet glasses wearing curly haired curl who masquerades as a straight haired girl that doesn't need glasses.

I honestly don't like my curls 90% of the time but there are those 10% that I simply love them.

LOL! You sound like me!!! I just recently made a commitment to embrace my wurls/curls and try to get them in shape. You should visit the wurly/curly thread.

dRummie
August 2nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
I like that my waves give my face a softer look :) Also that they give my heavy (F/iii) hair some body.

Funnily, I had straight hair as a kid, and was terribly jealous of all the girls with the pretty waves and curls. Learning to love what you have is a wonderful skill, and doesn't come easy!

rena
August 2nd, 2011, 11:07 PM
But it's also nice to have some natural style in your 'do! :) On the days that you really don't want to do anything, you really don't have to!

Yes that is an excellent point!

Tell her she's born styled Sunshineliz :) :cheese: