PDA

View Full Version : use heat while growing out a pixie???

breeanna92
May 4th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Should i since it looks like a boys cut when i dont, but if i use heat until it gets to a length wear i can manage it with out heat, and cut the damage hair off?

mrs_coffee
May 4th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I am just nearing shoulder length and I've continued to use my blow-dryer, albeit on the low, or at most medium, setting...I only wash twice a week, but when I do I blow-dry until my hair is damp.

With all of my weird layers and the fact that my hair is semi-wavy, if I don't use my blow dryer at least for a few minutes I end up with my hair sticking out in 7 different directions. I just make sure to use as low a setting as possible and not hold it too close to my head.

I have not noticed any damage so far.

spidermom
May 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I felt I had to use heat to get decent-looking hair while growing out a pixie cut, and I did cut out a lot of damage later - at least 6 inches worth, taking me from nearly waist back to APL. In that moment, I wished I hadn't abused my hair. But at the time I was using heat, it seemed worth it.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

spitfire511
May 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
The last time I was growing from a short cut, (other than now - ugh) I felt the same. I was working in a professional job where I didn't feel that I could let it just hang out (like I do now). I did heat style it, but kept it trimmed with a stylist who knew what my end goal was.

It took longer to grow, for sure, but it looked and felt better while it did, and I actually liked my hair at all of the growing phases (unlike right know where I'd really like to pretend I'm bald rather than deal with this mop!)

Just an idea. For me, if I hate the way it looks I'm more prone to do something drastic and not ever reach the end goal of growing.

Good luck and welcome!

breeanna92
May 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
okay! thanks all!

vanillabones
May 4th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I haven't used heat while growing out my pixie. I'm too paranoid of heat hair care after finding LHC and frying my hair :( there are lots of safe ways to style it without heat though, even for super shorties :)

jojo
May 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I used heat regualry when my hair was short, don't worry as long as you condition and use protection you will be fine!

breeanna92
May 4th, 2011, 06:01 PM
yeah, and plus im planning on cutting it off when i get it long enough to getride of the extra bleached ends. :D

Miss Catrina
May 4th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Hair twin? :)

I grew out a pixie and used an iron daily until recently, and I'm at APL. My hair is damaged, but it's not like... horrible, need to get it cut off bad. I am going to cut off some parts once it's longer.

It's really kind of a judgment call. We all make sacrifices to the health of our hair for the sake of fashion or convenience at least from time to time. It would probably be healthier for hair to pretty much never be washed, but for most people that just doesn't work because we live in a society that frowns upon the results.

However, have you tried just dampening it down and combing it into the right style? It might stay that way once it dries.

breeanna92
May 5th, 2011, 07:41 AM
maybe we are a hair twin?! i think im just going to style it with heat until its longer, its bad enough its short..the least i could do is make it look good. lol

alwayssmiling
May 5th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Yes I used heat a fair bit when I first started out (but tried to be sensible how I used it, heat protectant, low settings, partial air drying, moisturising well before and after). I'm about an inch from apl and it now sits quite nicely so I don't feel the need to heat style. I'm sure I'll regret saying this but my hair is in very good condition regardless of all the heat styling (may not be saying that in six months time?)

Firefox7275
May 5th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I don't think blow drying is as damaging as flat ironing especially if you use a medium heat, keep the dryer moving and use your fingers instead of a brush. Plenty of longer haired curlies use a diffuser without obvious damage. Leave-in conditioner is a godsend IMO, gives your hair that extra layer of protection: I used mousse or sprays when my hair was shorter.

breeanna92
May 5th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I don't think blow drying is as damaging as flat ironing especially if you use a medium heat, keep the dryer moving and use your fingers instead of a brush. Plenty of longer haired curlies use a diffuser without obvious damage. Leave-in conditioner is a godsend IMO, gives your hair that extra layer of protection: I used mousse or sprays when my hair was shorter.
I only use the blowdryer...havent used the flat iron in about 4 months:)

Maddy25
May 5th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I didn't use any heat while growing out my pixie, I just kept thinking that one day this hair will be the ends of my long hair and I wanted to treat it as good as possible. But I dont plan on cutting off all the pixie length like you do. I say do what you feel you need to do but maybe don't do it everyday? Give the hair a break sometimes and be gentle with it.

hs_atreides
June 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I tried to limit heat for awhile then reached a stage that it was either heat or head coverings, lol. Currently I try to let it go natural at least half the time and do everything I can to protect it when I do use heat. Growing a pixie is rough in patches then you find new styling possibilities then rough patches again. WHatever you can do to get to mini goals!!
Have you tried setting your hair, like finger waves?

Lilli
June 6th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I used a flat iron while growing from a short, layered bob. I felt hideous without it. I gave it up at shoulder length when it started to flip uncontrollably. I cut off about 3" in several trims during those times... that added 6 months to the growing. In retrospect, I should have styled it without heat and the awkward phase might have been 6 months shorter. Oh well!

KittyLost
June 6th, 2011, 04:01 PM
A cool setting on the hairdryer with heat protectand would be better than high heats of flat irons without protection. Also wash your hair less then there is less blowdrying to do. May sound silly as I've never had hair shorter than chin but is there no way you can kinda pin it? Or make bedhead work for you?

I remember a post not so long ago about someone growing out a pixie who used to use aloe vera gel to style thier hair when wet and then when it dried they brushed it out of the hair and thier hair looked like it had been heat styled but was nice and neat without the damage. Maybe someone else can remember this also and point you towards the member?

torrilin
June 6th, 2011, 06:07 PM
You're probably thinking of Jaine. And well... she's typed at 2c, not 1b. She's also got a wave pattern that can be coaxed gently into being terribly regular. That's pretty unusual. Most wavies and curlies will not get her sort of result. It's normal for wave patterns to vary some over your head.

Her strategy is a good one. She's getting regular trims to reshape the pixie into something that suits her wave pattern. But... due to her strong wave pattern, she's got a lot of volume and has hair that looks conventionally styled no matter what. Someone new to gentle hair care is not going to have as easy a time as Jaine did. And a 1b whose hair is the typical just short of plastered flat... I can see why it'd be tempting to heat style. Especially if your hair is the kind that actually takes heat styling...

elbow chic
June 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Those are your future ends, so be careful!