PDA

View Full Version : Newbies: help me understand something

krissykins
May 4th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hey friends. I joined in June of 2009 but was never really active til this year. I'm very shy, but I figured, "why not jump in?" and I'm very glad I did. The things I've learned, even from posting stupid things and being corrected by fellow members, have been invaluable to me.

When I was new here, I stuck mostly to reading whatever threads popped up in the "new posts" as well as looking through older forum threads (mostly in the Mane Forum and the Conventional Products & Hair Accessories boards) and if I had a question, I asked. No biggie. But I want to know how you "use" LHC.

Did you go straight to the Articles section and read anything that looked interesting? (I highly recommend you do that if you haven't already--that place is a gold mine! Articles located here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php)) Did you read all the threads that popped up in whatever forum section you were looking at, like me? Did you just start typing random things into the search function? (If you're having trouble utilizing the search function, look here (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64449)) Or did you just start a new thread for every question that popped into your head? Lol

Thanks for answering my question and welcome to LHC! :flowers:

nory87
May 4th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I have been a member for a while. The first thing I did was to look int the articles. I am very shy so it took me a little bit to even post my first post (and as you can see on my post count, I am still very shy, lol) I mostly look in the mane forum.

Joribear
May 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Well, I'm definitely new... So I'll answer your questions!

The way I "use" LHC has changed since I first found LHC. I found it late on a Friday night and had to wait allllllll the way until the next Monday morning for my account to be activated, so I spent the weekend reading the Articles. No, not one particular Article, but ALL of them. I'm a sponge; I soak in knowledge like it is my life's breath!

Once my account was activated, I did my first post in the Start Here section just as an intro; it didn't get many responses, but I don't hold it against anyone! ;)

Since then (what 2, 3 weeks?), I explore the different sections of the forum. I don't check only for new posts, mainly because there might be something in old posts that I want to read! That and I never log out, so the option of showing only new posts doesn't always work for me.

I'm pretty shy for the most part, so it'll be pretty unlikely for me to start a new thread. Of course, I always think long and hard before I make any post, let alone a completely new thread; I know how frustrating it can be to have new threads every-single-day asking the same question as what was asked the day before, so I try to avoid that as much as possible!

Ok, so I'm a sponge who likes to ramble, too....

Madora
May 4th, 2011, 04:42 PM
When I joined I checked the Mane Forum for any references to George Michael.

Later on I hit the Articles section and researched any unusual braid creations.

Next I went thru all the albums.

Every now and then I'll do a braid search on the Mane Forum, but for the most part I watch what is being posted there, and in the hairstyle of the month, and in the conventional products (only about bbbs). Also enjoy the Games and Quizzes and the Friendship and Pet Ponderings.

There's something for everyone here! And that's a good thing! :cheese:

Delila
May 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Not a newbie, but I remember what I did.

I searched for information on products that interested me, and used the member search thingy to find members who had similar hairtypes to mine.

The member search-by-hair-type was the best! I found lots of stuff to experiment on, and felt confident that the results would at least be tolerable. Having tried a bunch of stuff that people raved about without checking to see what hairtypes were using what, I went through a bit of a rough patch, using products that were too much for my hairtype.

I actually spent a good many months just reading and searching. Didn't even sign on as a member til four or five months later.

racrane
May 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I joined about a month ago and I remember I read all the articles while waiting for my account to be activated. Then I posted, commented on a couple things and then I posted a few threads, now that I'm getting there. I still mostly read then post, however.

Malibu Barbie
May 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I read for a long time. I joined and read some more. I always hit the mane forum first. I read through all the threads and will post but I haven't started any I just reply. I did introduce myself in the beginning.

krissykins
May 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Joribear, rambling sponges are very welcome here! If it makes you feel better, one person responded to my intro thread. But I don't hold it against anyone either. Haha

I'm glad to see that people who've been around for awhile still remember what they did as newbies! It certainly makes it easier to understand newbie excitement and the numerous questions they have ;)

And thanks to everyone who responded thus far :)

jeanniet
May 4th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I did quite a bit of looking around the forums and articles section before I posted, but that's my typical MO when I join any new forum. I think it's great that newbies utilize the search function and see everything the articles have to offer, but don't be shy! If you have a question, try searching first, and then if you still need help, ask away. I'm sure all of us remember what it was like being new, and someone should have an answer for you! :)

Signe
May 4th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I lurked for a few months because I read an article about water-only hair washing and when I googled for more information, this site kept coming up first. :D

I ended up reading loads of the stuff on the site and getting really into some of the threads before I joined up.

When I first started here I usually went to the main forum, now I check new posts, too, or read articles. I do find this site kinda difficult to navigate sometimes though :o

krissykins
May 4th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I do find this site kinda difficult to navigate sometimes though :o

Don't we all! The reviews section still confuses me. :p

And jeanniet is right: don't be afraid to ask! We like those people who search for their question first though ;)

Thanks for the responses!

Miss Catrina
May 4th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm a new-ish-bie. I didn't use the search function or look at articles (I already knew quite a bit of the common topics around here like buns and oiling and cone-free stuff from elsewhere online), I just looked at interesting topics in the recent list, and then started poking around the forums that were interesting to me (Mane, Projects and Polls, Conventional products and accessories, Friendship, Health and Body beautiful).

rbecks
May 4th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Newbie here - I definitely loved reading a lot of the articles when I first started, but mostly I am a lurker - I haven't really posted that much and I'm not sure I have many relevant things to add to the conversations especially as I don't want to grow my hair as long as some of the lovely hair I have seen.

jenhow
May 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I'm still such a newbie! I haven't got to my 25 posts yet which i find a bit frustrating but I know my time will come :). I have read all the articles and have gradually become what some people might say, obsessed. I'm loving reading people's posts on the forum and I think it's fabulous they way everyone is so supportive of each other.

Ermine
May 4th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I first got here googling stuff like "how to grow out a pixie cut". Then I read the articles and lurked on the threads quite a bit. I particularly looked into the articles and threads about long fine hair and the great wealth of henna information (I think once I get my hair to BSL, I'll try henna. I've always wanted red hair that would last for a long time and is actually healthy for my hair.)

jojo
May 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I came here looking for ways to encourage faster growth and was a lurker for about a year. I never even noticed the articles but would always go to the mane forum, mainly to look at progress photos.

I like reading the henna forums and the games section too but my favorite parts are the blogs; love the random things people write (myself included) and the albums.

I think this is an excellent site and the people become like extended family members. It has its moments where threads may get a bit heated but overall its a friendly place to be.

caiti42
May 4th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I've only joined last month but have been a long time lurker. I was researching loads of different things regarding hair care on the Internet for several months and different LHC threads kept popping up in my searches.

I joined for 2 reasons; no one really seems to attack one and other and I'm living far away from
Family and friends and get lonely!

I'm still figuring out the search functions and articles but I'm enjoying the Mane forum navigating around the other parts of the site. So at the moment I'm still learning :)

Viscountess
May 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I'm new here too...

What, there are blogs and photo albums?

Obviously I have a LOT more exploring to do! What I did was start with product reviews, and then just going through random threads on the Mane Forum. Once I got my account activated, I regularly check out the 'new posts'.

Searching is a pain but I have just now figured out how to 'type' my hair. I'm a random learner, I just go where the keystrokes take me and enjoy the ride!

NouvelleNymphe2
May 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I've been here for several months, still feel like a newbie. I came to the LHC because I was interested in henna. I spent most of my time lurking in the Henna & Hair Recipes section of the forum. After I joined I posted like crazy, and probably annoyed some people because I do NOT know it all. I'm fairly new at this take-good-care-of-your-hair thing. Don't get me wrong I have some experience (errr I have had hair on my head for awhile at least ;)), and am a product junkie so sometimes my 2 cents is helpful, I hope. I don't think I answered all of your questions, but perhaps one or two! HTH