PDA

View Full Version : what was your longest stage of growing?

angela123
May 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
chin to sl
sl to apl
apl to bsl
bsl to wl
wl to tbl
just trying to figure it out cause it seems like sl to bsl is taking forever for me.. im about to give up and just cut it off to see if that helps it grow any.. seems like its been this length for a year and a half now.. with no progress... its really annoying and im getting tried of clipping in extensions..

Nae
May 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Well, trimming it is just going to make it shorter, honestly. I have only finally hit apl and I have been here for almost a year and a half and have been actively growing out for over two years from a pixie. It is a game of patience, you will just have to wait it out, just think in 3 or 4 years you could have waist-ish length hair! (Dependent of course on height and hair growth rate.) Stay strong.

P.S. Some extensions can cause damage as well.

Islandgrrl
May 4th, 2011, 03:21 PM
It's all about patience.

Cutting will not make your hair grow faster. It will only make it shorter. Really, it just takes time. Lots of time.

PamelaViktoria
May 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM
chin to BS. It's been there for years!

krissykins
May 4th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Question: what is your hair routine? Is it possible that the ends are breaking off? That might be a reason why your hair is stalling.

If you are in a growth stall not caused by breakage, then hopefully you'll see a huge growth spurt soon! :grouphug:

To answer your question, getting from chin to APL was the longest stage for me, but that was pre-LHC. My hair had a relatively big shed in March/April, so getting back to waist has been a pain as well.

skyblue
May 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I don't remember the shorter stages taking that long at all to grow out honestly but I gotta tell ya that I feel like I've been at my current length forever lol!!!

Panth
May 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
TB to classic. Approx. 5 years since it took me that long to figure out that I needed to wear it up to get to true classic as I was just wearing it away by sitting on it...

Perhaps you're having a similar problem? Between shoulder and BSL would be about when your hair starts rubbing on chair backs. If you don't already, perhaps you could try a month or two of constant of-the-collar updos and see if that makes any difference. In any case, I wouldn't cut it ... there's no way that's going to make anything better. :)

Mesmerise
May 4th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Well to me BSL to WL is feeling the longest lol. Not sure why that should be, but probably because in this stage I've been focussing so much on growth. I don't know.

I am only growing out from SL (which bounced to above my shoulders and looked sort of like a bob cause my curls really become much curlier when my hair is shorter) and honestly, in one year it seemed to have grown heaps (I guess almost BSL length) which may have been helped by the fact that my hair seems to straighten a lot as it grows. BUT that BSL to WL now seems to be taking an eternity!

angela123
May 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM
my routine... i co wash only... i use coconut oil on my ends sometimes as a scalp massage sometimes i use castor oil i wear my hair up because if i wear it down i have to straighten it.. and no thanks. my hair sheds so much its ridic its actually pretty sad.. and i have no idea why i shed so much im never stressed i dont flat iron anymore i havent dyed it in about 4 months my roots are showing my natural color about 3 inches but no growth.. its just breaking off and i have no idea why.. im healthy no problems with thyroid i just feel like giving up..

Chetanlaiho
May 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM
BSL to waist, but I wasn't taking very good care of my hair or my diet at the time :/ I stalled at BSL for quite a while, but it seems I have finally hit waist ^_^ (my goal length =D)

jojo
May 4th, 2011, 04:04 PM
i wouldnt say any stage takes longer but when your desperate to reach longer lengths it seems to be! apl-bsl was a killer for me!

1953Diygal
May 4th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Definitely BSL to WL. It's taking forever. Before I got sick, my lead hairs were skimming TB but it got so damaged from being bedridden and then a lot of it fell out . It's coming back and my lead hairs are now skimming my waist once again. However, being sick set me back months on my length.

racrane
May 4th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Hmn, I can't say because I'm growing from SL to APL now and it isn't bothering me. I know back in high school before LHC it took forever to get from BSL to waist mostly because I got trims all the dang time so it really never grew. And the frustrating part was that once I got to waist a *nameless* hairdresser chopped back up to BSL. I cried for days, I kid you not. But I would say that there are lots of setbacks and such is life. Be patient, kind and one day your goal will be met. :)

Jeni
May 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
BSL to Wl seemed to take FOREVER!!!! Seriously it was like my hair never grew. I did finally reach waist and was headed to TBL but my ends were so fried I gave up the other day and cut back to like 2" above waist. I'm much calmer now about it, probably because Ive already made it there once...

Put your hair up and try to ignore it. I think I obsessed about how long it was at your length, I chilled out once I learned to just put it up and forget about it.

Kherome
May 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM
BSL to WL

|Xei
May 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Somewhere in the middle of BSL and waist to hip.

krissykins
May 4th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I know you say you're healthy, but do you perhaps have an iron deficiency? Are you taking any medication? CO washing also causes shed for some, so I hear. I didn't believe it until another member straightened me out, lol. I suggest switching to CWC for awhile to see if that affects your shed rate at all :flower:

Firefly
May 4th, 2011, 06:53 PM
For me the journey from chin to BSL was agony. It seemed to grow sooooo slowly and I thought I'd never get to my goal (waist). I am generally happy with anything past BSL length and once I hit that waist seemed to come very quickly, probably because I wasn't thinking about it at that point. In fact, that's what helped me get through the chin to BSL ordeal... wearing it up and forgetting about it, which included a hiatus or two from this board (which was not easy!) Since then I've gone from waist to tb back to waist, to bsl, back to waist... again, it seems to go pretty quickly when I'm not focusing on it.

Hang in there!

pepperedmoth
May 4th, 2011, 08:57 PM
The BSL-waist-hip territory seemed to take FOREVER. I remember that the early stages seemed to fly, and now that I'm nearing TBL it also seems to move more quickly.

Honestly I think this is because of where the "landmarks" cluster. I noticed every little bit from chin to neck to shoulder to long shoulder to BSL . . . then there is a long, long expanse of back where nothing seemed to change. Then when I started being able to tuck my hair into my pants it seemed to go quickly again! It's very psychological.

I take breaks from LHC when it seems to take too long. Being around here makes me want long hair NOW, and impatience makes the wait waaaaaaaay longer. (hence my long member-time low post-count)

angela123
May 4th, 2011, 10:51 PM
no iron deficiency. no medications. i just tried cwc tonight.. lets see if i have any difference with that..

McFearless
May 4th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Waist to hip. :(:(

McFearless
May 4th, 2011, 11:09 PM
just trying to figure it out cause it seems like sl to bsl is taking forever for me.. im about to give up and just cut it off to see if that helps it grow any.. seems like its been this length for a year and a half now.. with no progress... its really annoying and im getting tried of clipping in extensions..

You hair looks great in your avatar! I'd say stop leaping from SL to BSL..that a big difference. Maybe if you look at your hair in terms of inches it'll be easier or maybe just forget about the length altogether. I will say that SL to APL goes really fast and then APL-BSL is easy too.

Sundial
May 4th, 2011, 11:28 PM
So far, BSL to waist is the worst for me. The distance is comparatively longer. To make matters worse, I had a period of time when I was using products that were not suitable for my hair so I was experiencing breakage.

Fethenwen
May 4th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I take breaks from LHC when it seems to take too long. Being around here makes me want long hair NOW, and impatience makes the wait waaaaaaaay longer. (hence my long member-time low post-count)
This is so true for me also! But I still am here too often :p
---

Chin to APL was such a pain! :wail: and it took forever, I had to have trims to avoid mullet look. Two years of bad hair days. NEVER AGAIN.

After that it has been more of a downhill :) Suddenly I was BSL, now I'm even past that and aiming for waist.
I haven't trimmed my hair as much now and I enjoy it more and don't obsess that much about length. Though I have times that I do.

principessa1984
May 5th, 2011, 12:04 AM
BSL to waist is taking forever. I'm finally like an inch away (when straightened). But, I think I'm part of the problem. I rarely do protective styles and I've recently become obsessed with thickness and went on a snipping spree. Cutting your hair will just stall your length progress. It won't increase hair growth. Try to condition daily and seal that moisture in with a couple of drops of oil.

pepperminttea
May 5th, 2011, 12:37 AM
BSL to waist for me; about two years. But in that time I also trimmed all my layers out to a blunt hemline, so it's not as bad as it sounds. :)

Hope you find an answer to your stall soon. :flower:

torrilin
May 5th, 2011, 06:20 AM
my routine... i co wash only... i use coconut oil on my ends sometimes as a scalp massage sometimes i use castor oil i wear my hair up because if i wear it down i have to straighten it.. and no thanks. my hair sheds so much its ridic its actually pretty sad.. and i have no idea why i shed so much im never stressed i dont flat iron anymore i havent dyed it in about 4 months my roots are showing my natural color about 3 inches but no growth.. its just breaking off and i have no idea why.. im healthy no problems with thyroid i just feel like giving up..

How long ago did you quit flat-ironing? If the time is measured in anything less than about 2-3 years... there is still plenty of flat iron damage on the hair you have. For me, heat styling damage is pretty deathly, and I would have a lot of split ends and breakage in your position.

(for reference, I grow between 0.75" and 1" per month. I last dyed my hair in August, so I have a demarcation line on my head showing what hair is undyed. it will take around 18-24 months to get that demarcation line down to my elbows. and average hair grows a lot slower than mine... all this is assuming I don't go on a wild tear and dye my hair again :D. hair dye is my lone vice, because my hair can tolerate it.)

It MAY be that chopping off a few inches would get rid of a decent slug of damage and help you feel more comfortable. But it sounds like you really don't get on with your hair when it is short... so it might be better to just chill out, and wait it out.

butterflycayton
May 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I had a stall in the sl to apl, but from apl to bsl went really fast. Now the growing from bsl to waist is taking forever!!! I am about an inch from waist. Takes lots of patience. And don't trim. Some days I feel like giving up on it and cutting it, but a few days later, I am so glad I didn't. Just keep on growing.

lw8666
May 5th, 2011, 08:05 AM
sl to apl took me a year. not fun at all.

Monsterkitti
May 5th, 2011, 08:38 AM
BSL to waist took the longest for me, I have a pretty big distance between those two and there isn't any mini goals between them either which makes it seem to take longer

Avital88
May 5th, 2011, 09:11 AM
sl to apl and bsl to wl were the longest for me..especially bsl to wl was taking 1,5year..
I'm actually suprised i didnt gave up if i think about it now..from wl its not such a big deal to me anymore,i love tbl and eventually classic but im not obsessed as i used to be.

Avital88
May 5th, 2011, 09:22 AM
what really helped my hair were b vitamins and flaxseed oil mixed with yoghurt plus eating enough almonds and peanutbutter:D
I hope you get out of your stall soon, i see you have waves so it could also be that your wavepattern is changing,so it looks like its not growing but actually is.
This happens to me once every 4 months,then there is just a new wave added to my lenght and its seems like my hair is shrinking but when i straighten its longer than ever!
Be patient ,your hair will grow!

celebriangel
May 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Well, if you have 3 inches of roots it means your hair has grown 3 inches. if it's no 3 inches further down your body, it means the ends have been breaking off (and honestly, if you were chemically dyeing and straightening, I'm not surprised. My hair is very strong, but even it only holds up to one or the other.) I know you've stopped, but the damage is still there. Are you extremely gentle when you comb and wash?

On the bright side, you have 3 inches of roots. Those virgin, un-heat-styled roots will be strong and healthy. I promise your hair will get to a point where the ends will stop breaking and you'll see growth instead of stall. One thing you can do to strengthen your hair is do a cassia treatment. I have heard some people say that henna saved their chemically/heat-fried hair, and cassia has similar strengthening properties to henna. This might stop the breakage, and you could see real growth without any colour change. You'd have to redo it every month or so, but with your hair currently very short it wouldn't be too much trouble.

I took a closer look at your album; speaking honestly, the hair at the roots looks strong and healthy, and from the neck down it looks thin and damaged. If I were you, I would cut of all the damage, and you would then immediately start to see some real growth, but I know I'm more brutal about this than most; I was just at the BSL+ point of thinking "yay, my hair's getting long!" from a pixie when I chopped off 3 inches to remove a little fraying at the ends and all my horrid layers. If you wish to keep your current length, and grow it out even though it's damaged, a wonderful article for how to do that is here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Best of luck.

irishlady
May 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I'd say BSL to WL for me. This time last year I had my hair was at shoulder length, now it's at bra strap length.
Since then it seems to have slowed down a lot, no visible growth, but it seems to grow faster in Autumn/Winter for me anyway, so I might hav to wait.

constancev18
May 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM
SL to BSL took the longest because that's the longest part of my body and that when I was just starting on my hair journey and was trying to develop a regime. My hair appears to be growing faster (or less slow) now. ;)

tanya222
May 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Classic to knee:D

I look at the expanse of real estate I have to cover before I get down there, and I'm looking at about 10 years' growth :cool:

krissykins
May 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Angela123, it may take a few days up to a few weeks to notice less shedding and more growth, but I do hope CWC helps a bit :flower:

angela123
May 5th, 2011, 09:28 PM
did cwc and normal shed today!! omg i think i found something that actually worked for me.... im gonna keep doing it... so let me get this straight how to do it.. i condish on my length then shampoo on my scalp and roots wash it then condish all over...

jaine
May 5th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Shoulder to APL has taken me about 10 years so far...mostly because I kept trimming it myself trying to "fix" my layers but only making them worse so they needed more shape-ups. There was also a pixie in there somewhere because I got bored. :)

Maybe in a year I'll finally be at APL! :)

dulce
May 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM
For me it was pixie to APL,it seemed to take forever.

Debra83
May 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
so far, it's been apl to bsl. I didn't help matters though, I went scissor happy a few times too many.

HintOfMint
May 5th, 2011, 10:00 PM
The longest it felt was BSL to waist, but that's probably because I joined this site around that length and of course became obsessive about reaching goal.

bettylibertine
May 6th, 2011, 12:41 AM
At the moment, it feels like I've been at waist forever. I try not to check the length so much anymore though :)

MrsGuther
December 1st, 2012, 01:06 PM
chin to sl
sl to apl
apl to bsl
bsl to wl
wl to tbl

BSL to WL seemed to take forever for me, because I am long waisted, very tall, and I was trimming out layers and damage. Waist to hip didn't seem to take that long. Now that I'm past TBL, classic seems like it will be here before I know it. :)

jacqueline101
December 1st, 2012, 02:20 PM
I've not reached my goal hair length but bsl took me two tries. Once I reached it I went for a trim and the hair dresser cut off 3 inches of hair. I'm going to try the no trim in 2013 challenge. Maybe I can start my way towards mbl.

oktobergoud
December 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Pixie to chin! I didn't want a mullet so I had to keep on cutting it..

Now I'm growing it out from shoulder to APL, that's going to take a while I think!

trolleypup
December 1st, 2012, 02:45 PM
Classic to knee:D

I look at the expanse of real estate I have to cover before I get down there, and I'm looking at about 10 years' growth :cool:
Ditto. Plus I had a years long stall at 53"...every indicator of terminal length until it started growing again. Go figure.

Alva
December 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
WL to TBL seems to take forever, luckily that is almost done now :)

DinaAG
December 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
chin to sl grrr i even thought its a terminal

Sarahlabyrinth
December 1st, 2012, 03:56 PM
For me, SL - BSL seems to be taking ages, but that's probably because I'm obsessing over length and reaching the BSL milestone. Once I get to BSL my hair will start to feel long, I think and hopefully I will be able to relax and just "let it be" a little more.

IndigoOptimist
December 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM
My bob seemed to take ages to grow past shoulder. I don't know if that was because I didn't take care of my hair like I should have done, but in the last year my hair has grow really quickly!

NoRush
December 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM
My hair has been approaching APL for ages and every time I feel like it's there it's not :justy: It grew like weed from ear but now it's dragging *sigh*

neko_kawaii
December 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
Pixie to braidable seemed to take forever, mostly because I was looking forward to being able to braid it again. After that it seemed like I blinked and it was waist length. Watched pot syndrome.

Jessibear2854
December 1st, 2012, 06:31 PM
Chin to shoulder took sooooooooo long for me. I think it seemed so long because I hated having my hair that short and couldn't do anything with it. Once I felt like I had a decent amount of hair, and started practicing benign neglect, it didn't seem to take to long to reach waist (my goal).

LadyTheta
December 1st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Below-shoulder blades to below-waist length went amazingly fast for me.

lapushka
December 1st, 2012, 06:43 PM
I'd say all the stages up until about BSL. Those were the hardest, very awkward stages right there!

browneyedsusan
December 1st, 2012, 06:51 PM
I think I'm in it.
My hair just hit shoulder in the back, but is shorter in front--pixied until spring 2012, growing without trims. I can just barely put it all up. It won't all reach into a single ponytail or frenchbraid yet. I keep thinking it's going to get easier--it already has--but still have days when it won't behave itself.

tweetylonghair
December 1st, 2012, 07:37 PM
Mine has beeb BSL to WL.. But now that its there, I am dreading to see how long it's gonna take to get to Hip or Tbl.

Lindseyh
December 1st, 2012, 08:15 PM
I think BSL to WL is going to be killer. I'm tall so it's going to take close to a year I think. Wish I was shorter and my hair was longer....

Shermie Girl
December 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
APL to BSL! My bra strap rides low and I have a longish torso so I was in the Badlands (as I like to call it) for what felt like forever. I honestly thought that my hair wan't growing. Nope. Not even a little tiny bit. Then, miraculously, one day I was at BSL. Then past BSL and now, I am cruising along just past waist.

All I can say is, when you are in your personal Badlands, hang tough, be patient. It feels as if you will never progress, as if you will be there forever. But you will progress. You are progressing. And one day, you will look in the mirror and realize that you have made it through and are in or near your promised land. :D

vanillabones
December 1st, 2012, 11:22 PM
Chin to shoulder hands down. It took forever and I think it will be my longest stage besides extreme length. My hair started to really show that it can grow now. I would be BSL well before Summer if I wasn't going to trim and that means a lot for me. :tongue: I'm going to take this as a good sign and see how faster it grows all virgin and see where this hair can take me!

xoxophelia
December 2nd, 2012, 12:55 AM
Waist to TB for sure. It is simply a matter of distance. For me, there are about 10" to grow to be solidly TB from waist. BSL to waist is only 4" tops for me. Not to mention, the longer the hair gets the more I think it tends to need trimming. Damage shows up more so..

CurlyCap
December 2nd, 2012, 01:03 AM
Whatever stage I'm currently in! :p

But honestly, my hair grows at a fairly even clip, so I get ~8" a year.

Now if you ask me what stage I HATED growing, it would be pixie t0 shoulder. Every stage was awkward and I was constantly asking myself if I should trim it to get a better shape. It was torture and I'm happy it's over. Now that my hair is BSL, I can pretty much ignore the styling and just be sure to keep it healthy...so the time seems to pass more quickly.

DancingQueen
December 2nd, 2012, 02:23 AM
Shoulder to BSL. I have been at it for 3 years, and probably have to grow for at least another year. On the positive side though, I lost at least 6 inches of good growth because of scissorhappy hairdressers, so I could have been there now. No wonder it have taken so long; I hope self trimming will help me get there a little faster. :)

Loveisaverb
December 2nd, 2012, 02:32 AM
Another one for BSL to waist. Or just me being more aware of my length.

long&blonde
December 3rd, 2012, 12:04 AM
Bsl to wl felt like forever.
And tb to cl, I've never made cl,
And considering "all the curve back there", hmmm, I just wonder how in the world long would my hair have to be, to sit on it.
Lol. Going to take a tape measure, sit on it, then go from there.
Right now, I think I am at hip.
My mum took some nice shots today of me sitting on her couch, my hemline is On her couch.
Just more for me to say "hmm" over. With only computer cellphone, I currently can't update my profile on the new boards, nor submit photos, but hoping the glitchs and my glitchy brain eventually work it out. :)

Alexblue
December 3rd, 2012, 01:50 AM
SL to APL took the longest for me. However, I didn't start having fun and enjoying my hair until my layers grew out to SL.
When I started I had chin length hair, with silly, short layers....some only a few inches long. I think the frustration you feel is normal but it gets better. It really does :-)

Just keep measuring so you can see and track your progress. Also, I don't know if others mentioned but try to figure out if your hair is shedding or breaking. If breakage is progressively becoming less and less as you improve your hair routine then that is great progress and you should be proud. Unfortunately breakage will still occur to some degree as your ends suffered old heat and chemical damage. The key is to focus on the improvements. Long-term the damage will be trimmed away.

By the way, if you have a good diet you may still wish to take B12 (or a B-complex) vitamin supplement. I also find biotin helped my growth rate.

piffyanne
December 3rd, 2012, 02:49 AM
I was stalled at MBL for a very long time, and I deliberately avoided trims because I WANTED to get longer. It was really disheartening. :)

sakuraemily
December 3rd, 2012, 03:37 AM
For me it is SL to APL now...I think my growth is a bit slower now because of low protein intake

KAggs
December 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
For me, it was definitely awkward and painful growing from pixie to shoulder length. Just growing out of a pixie cut is painful and just time consuming. Trimming up the layers and making everything even. Even though I like pixie cuts, it'll be a looong time until I consider doing that again.