PDA

View Full Version : Protect against sun damage

tigereye
May 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to protect hair from sun damage. We have had a really hot, sunny spring so far, and up here in cold old Scotland all us fair skinned people are burning like mad. I was thinking: I use SPF 50 sun cream on my skin, but what can I do to protect my hair from the sun? I already often wear my Aussie hat or wide brimmed straw hat to keep the sun off my face, which obviously protects my scalp and protects some of my hair, but because I can't bun my hair or even ponytail it in my hat, so the most I can do is braid it, but I still feel like my ends are getting fried.
What hairstyles can keep the ends in the shade of my hat rim, and is it possible to use suncream on your hair safely?
Would deep conditioning after help? Kind of like aftersun does for your skin.

terpentyna
May 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I'm also curious about what others have to say about this. I have a problematic scalp so sunscreen may be out of the question. Also- is oiling your hair safe/helpful when the sun's rays are strong or does it actually cook your hair?

Madora
May 4th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Best protection is to wear a WHITE scarf or hat! Keeps the sun off your scalp (no sunburn) and protects the hair follicles. No use cooking your hair when you spend so much time trying to care for it!

growingpains
May 4th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I am terrible but I look forward to sun damage!! I am feeling like my color is a little dull and could use some sun lightening.

That said, I like to keep my skin out of the sun at all costs, so wear a wide brimmed, old school glamour hat if I am in the heat for any length.

Back when I used to flat iron and chemically dye I didn't think my hair could handle the heat as much and I used to buy UV serums and oils. I wouldn't use face suscreen. Go to a hair store or beauty store and get something made for hair.

terpentyna
May 4th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Best protection is to wear a WHITE scarf or hat! Keeps the sun off your scalp (no sunburn) and protects the hair follicles. No use cooking your hair when you spend so much time trying to care for it!

This is absolutely true, though it is DARK clothing which is better at protecting your skin from the UV rays.

So I guess there are two issues here, one being heat, the other being the UV radiation...

So which one is less risk?

ETA: That's the theory. The reality is that I would have heatstroke if I wore a black scarf on my head.

ladyfey
May 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I got a sunbonnet online, it may be a little silly looking to others (think Little House on the Prairie) but it does the job and fits over updos and hairsticks.

rena
May 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM
...Heat protectant spray?

tigereye
May 4th, 2011, 10:13 AM
is oiling your hair safe/helpful when the sun's rays are strong or does it actually cook your hair?

I would say it would likely cook it to use oil. People used to use oil on their skin to get a tan, and it actally fried their skin, and many who did it often ended up with skin cancer. So if oil is not safe to use on your skin, it wouldn't use it on your hair.

Alex Lou
May 4th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Well, the best sunscreens for our skin have the active ingredient, zinc oxide. There are shampoos sold containing zinc oxide for other purposes. Alternatively you could put zinc oxide powder in your conditioner. I'm have no idea if the zinc itself could be harmful though.

I wear very wide-brimmed hats in the sun (something like these: http://www.coolibar.com/02272.html?source=googlebase&CAWELAID=781876302, http://www.amazon.com/Flat-Wide-Brim-Black-Ribbon/dp/B001W9032S) or carry a nice looking umbrella to protect my skin. Those hats provide a lot more protection than the average hat, and especially at noon, when the sun is pointing straight down and the UV light is strongest, it will protect most of your length. Color of the hat or umbrella isn't as important as the thickness, usually. Get a UV detector to hold under it, or simply hold it out over the ground and see how strong of a shadow it makes.

But I actually regret needing to wear the hats for my skin, because I want my hair in the sun. For me it is the best way to lighten without noticeable damage.

Firefly
May 4th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I usually put mine is a very low bun at the nape of my neck. I have a floppy safari-style hat similar to this (http://www.altrec.com/marmot/precip-safari-hat?sku_id=1287011&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Froogle-_-Marmot-_-113663-1287011&mr:trackingCode=6625D4CD-8D33-E011-8262-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA) that I wear, and the bun is protected under the brim. If I need something a little dressier, I'll use a scarf, and if I need something REALLY fancy (i.e. outdoor wedding) a parasol is my friend. :D

dulce
May 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM
As someone who has had skin cancer on my face ,wear a hat!It will protect hair and face.

xoxophelia
May 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I know a decent amount about this since I protected my hair carefully last summer so that my roots didn't go blonde (growing out faded brown dye).

There are leave in conditioners with SPF that do some good. I got one of those and also took extra care. I'd put my hair in a bandana over long hikes, take my walks in either the early morning or evening, wear a wide brim hat. A big part of it was working my schedule so that I wasn't exposing myself to the brightest sun day in day out.

If you are gutsy you could even use a parasol. It seems to me a lot of benefit comes from just scheduling outdoor activity when the UV is a bit lower.

SheaLynne
May 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
It seems to me a lot of benefit comes from just scheduling outdoor activity when the UV is a bit lower.

I agree with this. Living in the southern US (but being Scotch-Irish descent and with that complexion), we understand why afternoon is siesta time, and why cowboy hats and sombreros are wide brimmed!

I also use hats from coolibar and other places that use UV materials. I do a low bun that fits under the brim of a hat and it is always protected from the sun there. I try to avoid mid-day sun and we have shade in our yard so yardwork is not so sun-intensive.

Many people here use umbrellas for events like weddings that are outdoors during mid-day, so a parasol would not be a bad idea at all.

btw, I've lived here all my life and am nearing age 41 but have comments from others frequently that my skin is so pretty--it's bound to be helping my hair, too!

spidermom
May 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I braid it, then lift the ends of the braid to the top of my head and plunk the wide-brimmed hat right over top, which keeps the braids in place (mostly).

Anje
May 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I finally got a hat that can fit on my head with a low bun. Alternatively, you could always double up your braid and clip the ends at the nape of your neck.

Well, the best sunscreens for our skin have the active ingredient, zinc oxide. There are shampoos sold containing zinc oxide for other purposes. Alternatively you could put zinc oxide powder in your conditioner. I'm have no idea if the zinc itself could be harmful though.
Don't put ZnO on your hair. Trust me. Tangle city.

ElusiveMuse
May 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Aveda makes a great damage control spray leave-in with UVA and UVB protection. It does have chamomile in it, which worries me in terms of lightening (I prefer dark hair) but I can't complain in terms of conditioning and whatnot.

Signe
May 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
summer = fun colourful scarves and big shades ;)

oktobergoud
May 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure if you use cones and what not, but I always use sunsprays for my hair with a UV-filter. It's basically the same as sunscreen, only for your hair! It doesn't make my hair sticky or heavy/greasy. And it will protect your hair against the sun :)
This is an example: http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/flikkenalbum/1106.png

alwayssmiling
May 4th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I know I'm a changed woman this year because I have actively stayed in the shade to protect my hair! It has never occured to me before I joined lhc to protect my hair from the sun. I like the idea of a white scarf.

PamelaViktoria
May 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I only use a teeny bit of shampoo, no conditioner. I put bit of coconut oil in my hair every night. I find the sun just makes my hair look better and better. But I do use a hat when I feel my skin will burn.