PDA

View Full Version : If you don't already own a satin pillowcase, GET ONE!

musicallberrii
May 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM
My hair is nearly waist length and I am aiming for tailbone as my goal length. I have always had split ends no matter how gentle I am with my hair. I am also a major roller in the bed, and toss and turn atleast 10 times through the night. I ALWAYS wake up with major bedhead, tangles, and occasionally an afro which takes 15+ minutes to untangle using a wide tooth comb and tons of leave in conditioner. My hair is always frizzy and dry when I wake up and looks awful to say the lease. I picked up a Satin pillowcase last night for cheap at the local Walmart (found in the ethnic hair care section) and decided to try it out. Usually at night I do two braids to sleep in, which always end up undone, frizzy, tangled, and a mess. After rolling all over the bed last night, I woke up with hair that was how I did it the night before--not a hair out of place! NO frizz, NO tangles, NO dry flyaway hair from hell! I cannot even put in words how amazed I am.. I never thought it was possible to wake up with good hair! I wish I had bought one sooner.. So any newbies, potential long hairs, or anyone on this site who hasn't yet tried a satin pillowcase: get one!! It is amazing and I wish I had got one so much sooner! I can't wait to see how my hair is in a month because I have no doubt all the issues I've been having have something to do with cotton pillowcases!

Red_Rose
May 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Aren't satin pillowcases great? :D

When I got my hair cut a couple of months ago, I found out that curlies should sleep on satin pillowcases so their hair won't tangle up and frizz on them when they sleep so I was on the hunt for one but of course, satin pillowcases were no where to be found but that didn't stop me from getting a few of them! I decided to make my own and it was worth it! I sleep with my hair up in a pineapple(held up with a satin scrunchie!) and my hair is never a mess the next morning.

Btw, you have beautiful hair!

apynip
May 4th, 2011, 09:18 AM
love love love mine. Saddly its been pretty dirty after i took it on a camping trip and just got around to washing it this weekend so I've finally been able to sleep with good hair again!

krissykins
May 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Krissykins endorses this message. :D

Cocoa_Crema
May 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Will a silk pillowcase do the trick? :eyebrows:

CrystalStar
May 4th, 2011, 09:55 AM
On my way to eBay now! You sound exactly as I do, can't stay still and my hair truly suffers for it, but if this is the miracle cure then so be it! :D

bunzfan
May 4th, 2011, 10:03 AM
My hair is nearly waist length and I am aiming for tailbone as my goal length. I have always had split ends no matter how gentle I am with my hair. I am also a major roller in the bed, and toss and turn atleast 10 times through the night. I ALWAYS wake up with major bedhead, tangles, and occasionally an afro which takes 15+ minutes to untangle using a wide tooth comb and tons of leave in conditioner. My hair is always frizzy and dry when I wake up and looks awful to say the lease. I picked up a Satin pillowcase last night for cheap at the local Walmart (found in the ethnic hair care section) and decided to try it out. Usually at night I do two braids to sleep in, which always end up undone, frizzy, tangled, and a mess. After rolling all over the bed last night, I woke up with hair that was how I did it the night before--not a hair out of place! NO frizz, NO tangles, NO dry flyaway hair from hell! I cannot even put in words how amazed I am.. I never thought it was possible to wake up with good hair! I wish I had bought one sooner.. So any newbies, potential long hairs, or anyone on this site who hasn't yet tried a satin pillowcase: get one!! It is amazing and I wish I had got one so much sooner! I can't wait to see how my hair is in a month because I have no doubt all the issues I've been having have something to do with cotton pillowcases!

I had already looked at them on Ebay but, i'm getting one for sure now! your description of your morning hair sounds just like mine i 'm glad i'm not the only one that does that :D

jojo
May 4th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I got satin ones and yes there bril!

MicheleClaire
May 4th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Does it have to be a certain type of satin? A lot of the less expensive satin pillow cases are 100% polyester and in my experience, the sheen and softness disappear after the first wash.

Anyone have this experience?

Misti
May 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Will a silk pillowcase do the trick? :eyebrows:

I was wondering the same thing. I hate the feel of polyester against my skin...would silk also work?

racrane
May 4th, 2011, 11:05 AM
It's on my list to get one, but I'm a poor college student, it might take a while. :( You have amazing hair, by the way.

krissykins
May 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Silk is just as good :flower:

Aveyronnaise
May 4th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Sold, i am totally going to make some whenever I can get to the fabric store.

CoilyCurlyME
May 4th, 2011, 11:49 AM
yes i love satin scarfs to, they keep everything like you had it when you went to bed. :)

Mountaingrrl
May 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Agreed! I have two silk pillowcases and they make such a difference.

MaiCarInMtl
May 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
yes i love satin scarfs to, they keep everything like you had it when you went to bed. :)
I was just about to ask if scarves could do the trick while waiting to get my hands on some fabric.

I think I'll make some pillowcases for my sister-in-law too as she has curly hair and it may help her with frizzies. Now I just have to get her to tell me what her colour-scheme is in her bedroom...:o

dulce
May 4th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Have you thought of silk sleeping caps?They are sold at a reasonable price on ebay.

IcarusBride
May 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I tried a satin pillowcase and sheets and my hair was full of static electricity like crazy. It was sooo frizzy.

WaitingSoLong
May 4th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Does it have to be a certain type of satin? A lot of the less expensive satin pillow cases are 100% polyester and in my experience, the sheen and softness disappear after the first wash.

Anyone have this experience?

Mine did the same. Wish I could afford real silk ones.

I have also come to the conclusion that without silk sheets as well, it does me no good. I rarely sleep ON my pillow, I am a belly sleeper and the pillow is usually over my head. Besides, my hair is too long to all stay on the pillow. I don't have silk anything, my sheets are a satin blend that is NOT slippery at all but better than cotton.

I made a sleep stocking that I use most of the time but sometimes I just cannot stand the feel of something around my head. SIGH.

xcrunr2go
May 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Ya I unknowingly got a satin pillowcase just for the feel but it does help against splits & tangles! What about a satin cap? I prefer the pillowcase

Signe
May 4th, 2011, 02:00 PM
For those out there who don't have a silk/satin pillowcase yet or can't find one: a big silk/satin scarf secured around your pillow works great, or go to a thrift store and look for a big silk nightshirt or nightdress; they almost always have them, and they are usually really cheap and easy to "dress" your pillow in.

Chetanlaiho
May 4th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I've been searching for one in the stores but I can't seem to find one (and I already order too much stuff of the internet so I prefer finding one IRL xD) guess I'll be looking for a silk scarf next ^^

Lianna
May 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Silk is just as good :flower:

I'd say better because it doesn't cling to you if you're sweating at night, it "breaths". I have a silk bonnet that I don't really use often (didn't see many changes in my hair/got lazy) but these bonnets/caps are better because you only need one (they dry fast when you wash). Mine was less than $20, real silk.

irisheyes
May 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Someone on another thread suggested a pillowcase from Ebay that was 50% silk and 50% cotton, so I got it because it was affordable - about $10 including shipping. It really helped eliminate the frizzies, along with french braiding at night and using my new BBB. I love my hair again! These 3 simple steps gave me more shine and less frizz than any product I ever put on my hair. Results were immediate.

musicallberrii
May 4th, 2011, 07:25 PM
For anyone who is having trouble finding one of these, or can't afford it, I got mine at Walmart for $7. They are in the ethnic hair care isle near the shampoo and hair dyes. Really cheap and fantastic! I took a nap with my hair down earlier and it was perfect when I woke up.... Unheard of for me!!

jil
May 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I bought a satin pillowcase a few months ago, but didn't notice that it was vinyl lined! I do not recommend this type. Can anyone recommend a brand that works for them and has lasted several washes?

Quezie
May 4th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Is satin, silk, or basically any slippery fabric the same for your hair? :hmm:

I have two "slippery fabric" pillow cases, but I need to change my pillowcase very often because I'm trying to get rid of my acne, so I don't use them that often.

Maybe I can find a few more for cheap. :)

Firefox7275
May 4th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Someone on another thread suggested a pillowcase from Ebay that was 50% silk and 50% cotton, so I got it because it was affordable - about $10 including shipping. It really helped eliminate the frizzies, along with french braiding at night and using my new BBB. I love my hair again! These 3 simple steps gave me more shine and less frizz than any product I ever put on my hair. Results were immediate.

I also purchased a couple of these. I can't say there has been any noticeable change in my hair, but nothing short of Father Time is going to mend all the hair that has snapped off! :p I am very happy with the feel of the fabric and coolness, I get hot really easily so synthetic satin would have been a nightmare.

gthlvrmx
May 4th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I agree, satin is AMAZING. :) My hair feels so great after sleeping on it, still nice and smooth :) Cotton is way to rough and every morning i would find a few 20 hairs or more all over my bed. Now i rarely find a single one!
I even take my satin pillowcase wherever i may sleep :p Took it all the way to Chicago for break, my best friends brother was worried if their pillowcases were bothering me :p Nope, just satin works great with my hair!

gogirlanime
May 4th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Cotton is way to rough and every morning i would find a few 20 hairs or more all over my bed. Now i rarely find a single one!
WOOOOW amazing!! I became convinced, so I found one on Ebay for $6 (item plus shipping) it's an ugly bright green, but I don't care, I'm broke so I get what I can. It's not a high thread count, but I'm sure it'll do the job. Thanks for the advice ladies!

Fethenwen
May 5th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I'm not even sure what a satin pillow case is, but I don't think I really need one. I always sleep with a bun very high up on my head and it stays there. I don't get a lot of frizz during the night that way. I secure the bun with hair pins (not bobby pins).

EmpressRi
May 5th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I need one. SO even said I need one for his house. My satin scarf ALWAYS comes off and it's a shame that in the midst of sleep I'll feel my lose hair, and can lift my neck up a bit, loosen my scarf and retie it without opening an eye.

But I keep seeing them for $25 and such! There has to be some that don't cost as much.

gogirlanime
May 5th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I need one. SO even said I need one for his house. My satin scarf ALWAYS comes off and it's a shame that in the midst of sleep I'll feel my lose hair, and can lift my neck up a bit, loosen my scarf and retie it without opening an eye.

But I keep seeing them for $25 and such! There has to be some that don't cost as much.

Shipping + Pillow case = $6 on Ebay :) Just bought it

Dragon
May 5th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I made a satin one and its good but to hot to sleep on. I now wrap a large silk scarf around the pillow which works great. During winter I'm going to go back to satin.

Firefox7275
May 5th, 2011, 05:58 AM

The 50% silk ones on eBay are ~$11 including postage, ~$17.50 if you buy two together.

Phexlyn
May 5th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks for this report, I just needed another excuse to buy hair-related stuff :D

eri401
May 5th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I don't understand. I've been searching for a silk pillowcase on ebay for months now and everything I see is around $20 just for 1 case (not including shipping). They are cheaper on amazon actually!

When I visit the local discount store (ie Ross), I only see "satin" cases that are really 100% polyester. Same applies for "silk" scarves = 100% polyester. There are no fabric stores in this area.

Siava
May 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM
If anyone is having a hard time finding satin pillowcases locally, visit a hair boutique that carries wigs and weaves. That's how I've been able to find mine and they're fairly cheap (about $6 each). I find them in the section that also carries shower caps, do rags, satin caps, etc. Hope that helps. :)

Siava
May 5th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I tried a satin pillowcase and sheets and my hair was full of static electricity like crazy. It was sooo frizzy.

Mine will do that sometimes if the air is super dry. Spraying the case down with static guard or spritzing it with water helps.

Firefly
May 5th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I just wanted to mention too, if anyone doesn't like the feel of silk (**raises hand**) a high thread count 100% cotton pillowcase is a good alternative. That's what I have. I'm sure it's not as good as silk/satin, but since I can't stand the feel of silk or satin against my skin it works for me. YMMV!

Bene
May 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM
*snip* So any newbies, potential long hairs, or anyone on this site who hasn't yet tried a satin pillowcase: get one!!

I've made it this far without ever owning a satin pillowcase, I think I can continue to do so ;)

Jean Stuart
May 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Dh bought me a set of 2 from walmart ir target for christmas. They have them at sallies but i am unsure if they have the king size.

krissykins
May 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Dh bought me a set of 2 from walmart ir target for christmas. They have them at sallies but i am unsure if they have the king size.

Do they have the king size at walmart? :p I've been wondering where to get some

In2wishin
May 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Is satin, silk, or basically any slippery fabric the same for your hair? :hmm:

I have two "slippery fabric" pillow cases, but I need to change my pillowcase very often because I'm trying to get rid of my acne, so I don't use them that often.

Maybe I can find a few more for cheap. :)

I don't understand. I've been searching for a silk pillowcase on ebay for months now and everything I see is around $20 just for 1 case (not including shipping). They are cheaper on amazon actually!

When I visit the local discount store (ie Ross), I only see "satin" cases that are really 100% polyester. Same applies for "silk" scarves = 100% polyester. There are no fabric stores in this area.

Putting on my trivia Queen hat and looking back to my 20 years working for a fabric store:

Satin is a specific weave of fabric that is slippery and shiny

Silk is a specific natural, breathable fiber and can be made into fabrics that range from thick to sheer, bulky to fine, rough and scratchy to slippery and shiny.

The idea behind a satin pillowcase is to provide a non-static slippery surface to sleep on and reduce friction on the hair

What works for one person will not necessarily work for another (where have I heard that before? :eyebrows: ) Therefore, polyester satin will be very slippery but can produce static in very dry air and does not breathe which some find uncomfortable. Others love poly satin. If you want to go the route of a silk scarf or buy silk fabric and make your own, make sure it is very smooth/slippery (satin and charmeuse have the most slip of silk fabrics).

I have one silk charmeuse pillowcase and two of the silk/cotton ones and I love all of them. The silk/cotton are more affordable.

Dharma Trading had reasonable silk charmeuse cases if you don't mind white http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing_silk.html

here is the link to the Ebay store that sell the silk/cotton cases: http://stores.ebay.com/MulHome?_trksid=p4340.l2563

vaughner
May 5th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Hmm, I've been thinking of getting one too, my hair is always a tangled mess when I wake up in the morning, even if I wear it in a bun. I toss and turn a lot :(

DreamDance
May 5th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Putting on my trivia Queen hat and looking back to my 20 years working for a fabric store:

Satin is a specific weave of fabric that is slippery and shiny

Silk is a specific natural, breathable fiber and can be made into fabrics that range from thick to sheer, bulky to fine, rough and scratchy to slippery and shiny.

The idea behind a satin pillowcase is to provide a non-static slippery surface to sleep on and reduce friction on the hair

What works for one person will not necessarily work for another (where have I heard that before? :eyebrows: ) Therefore, polyester satin will be very slippery but can produce static in very dry air and does not breathe which some find uncomfortable. Others love poly satin. If you want to go the route of a silk scarf or buy silk fabric and make your own, make sure it is very smooth/slippery (satin and charmeuse have the most slip of silk fabrics).

I have one silk charmeuse pillowcase and two of the silk/cotton ones and I love all of them. The silk/cotton are more affordable.

Dharma Trading had reasonable silk charmeuse cases if you don't mind white http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing_silk.html

here is the link to the Ebay store that sell the silk/cotton cases: http://stores.ebay.com/MulHome?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Thanks for the links. My layers are being annoying and won't let me braid them at night. I'm on my way to buy a pillowcase.

sharicat
May 6th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I've been toying with the idea of getting one, now I think I will! I toss and turn all night.

angelshair
May 8th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I just wrap a silk scarf around my pillow since silk/satin pillow cases are very expensive where I live (plus, I wouldn't know where to look for one, I don't understand this country. :) ). Works like a charm, and look really nice too. :D Bought a few on ebay for next to nothing.

Qadupae
May 18th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I can now join the satin pillowcase group ^_^ My hair has been giving me a bit of a hassle lately and I thought "why not". So today, DH and I were walking around the mall and we stopped by JCPenney to see if they had any. Lucky us, they had some bone colored satin pillow cases for 14$ ^_^ After our sleep today, my hair still feels pretty good, much less tangled, and it was nice having the pillow remain cold throughout the night since I get warm quickly. I'm sold ^_^

gthlvrmx
May 18th, 2011, 09:26 PM
The thing about satin pillowcases, they are always too cold. I sleep on it and it feels great until i notice i start darting for more blankets. We have bad insulation in my house, and my room gets COLD, i sleep next to the windows. I hope summer will be better because i always wake up with my head on my cotton sheets and other pillow case, completely ruins the point!
But honestly, it has helped a lot! I have not found hair shed over the covers anymore!

gthlvrmx
May 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Maybe you can grab a satin or silk nightgown and use that as a cover? Or wrap your hair with it? If it works, it works!

squiggyflop
May 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
ive tried both polysatin and silk satin pillowcases and i HATE them.

did they help my hair? no.. how could they when they slipped right out from under my head and off the bed leaving me pillowless.. another reason they didnt help me, i sleep face down most of the time, polysatin just gave me a rash on my face..

ive even tried satin sheets.. yes, you can buy satin sheets (i figured that sheets couldnt slip off the bed like pillowcases).. often found at biglots and lots of bedding places.. what did i get with satin sheets? i got blankets and pillows that slipped off the bed.. on a couple occasions I slipped off the bed and fell on the floor..

akuamoonmaui
May 18th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I love my satin pillow cases and so far they've managed to stay on the bed. Hate satin sheets, though.

owlathena
May 18th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I want one! But I haven't been able to find any around here. I even tried Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I thought they had everything.

SurprisingWoman
May 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I have some awesome sheets and some of them are super soft and feel like super thin suede, the others are super thick and almost "crunch" but they are super silky feeling. They are both 100% cotton. Polyester is of satan. Bwahahaha

I don't/haven't had any satin sheets (since the 70's when everyone had them.... just like a water bed) and I don't lose a bunch of hairs. I wear my hair loose and I am such a flipper in bed sometimes the cats get up and leave.

If I see some for super cheap I might try them but I would recommend quality sheets over a specific product.

WaimeaWahine
May 19th, 2011, 12:38 AM

did they help my hair? no.. how could they when they slipped right out from under my head and off the bed leaving me pillowless.. another reason they didnt help me, i sleep face down most of the time, polysatin just gave me a rash on my face..

ive even tried satin sheets.. yes, you can buy satin sheets (i figured that sheets couldnt slip off the bed like pillowcases).. often found at biglots and lots of bedding places.. what did i get with satin sheets? i got blankets and pillows that slipped off the bed.. on a couple occasions I slipped off the bed and fell on the floor..

It doesn't work for me either because my skin is so oily. So the satin tends to absorb the oil and that gets on my face again. I have to change the pillow cover every other night. Add that to putting on a lot of body lotion and uggh. But hey, it works for some! :eyebrows:

Chetanlaiho
May 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I've been searching everywhere for a silk or satin pillowcases, but of the few I've found they turned out to be 100% cotton according to the label, why label it satin if it isn't!? xD

I can't even find a silk or satin scarf to improvise, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

elbow chic
May 19th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I've been searching everywhere for a silk or satin pillowcases, but of the few I've found they turned out to be 100% cotton according to the label, why label it satin if it isn't!? xD

I can't even find a silk or satin scarf to improvise, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

Satin is just the name of a kind of weave and can be made from polyester or silk or (I think) rayon fibers.

I've never seen cotton satin-- maybe it's actually sateen you're seeing? (a different weave yet.)

Anyway, I bought some silk charmeuse a few weeks ago and have been meaning to get around to making a pillowcase out of it. :)

Eolan
May 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
*goes to store to buy a satin pillowcase*

Messyhair
May 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I picked up a new satin pillowcase at Sally's last weekend and it's nicer than my others. I wasn't so sure about the zip closure, but it's worked out nicely to keep the pillowcase ON the pillow overnight. :) I'm also using a satin sleep cap now, so the pillowcase is mainly for my nape hair that might escape, or in case the sleep cap falls off.

Celebrian
May 19th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I've searching in UK for silk bedding for years. Stuff that claims it's silk is usually something else:writer:

Chetanlaiho
May 19th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Satin is just the name of a kind of weave and can be made from polyester or silk or (I think) rayon fibers.

I've never seen cotton satin-- maybe it's actually sateen you're seeing? (a different weave yet.)

Anyway, I bought some silk charmeuse a few weeks ago and have been meaning to get around to making a pillowcase out of it. :)

Hmm that could be the issue. I have to sets of bedding that were both labeled as satin and are both 100% cotton, but the first one actually feels like of satin-y but the second one is just plain cotton for as far as I can see :/

This isn't gonna make my search for a satin or silk pillowcase or cap any easier is it xD

elbow chic
May 19th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hmm that could be the issue. I have to sets of bedding that were both labeled as satin and are both 100% cotton, but the first one actually feels like of satin-y but the second one is just plain cotton for as far as I can see :/

This isn't gonna make my search for a satin or silk pillowcase or cap any easier is it xD

Nope. lol But, hey! I have no idea if they ship internationally but I love these guys, and they sell this very reasonably priced genuine silk pillowcase:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/featured_products/cbpc.html

beauty coach
May 19th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I hate satin sheets too, but love the satin pillowcases for my hair and face. Tried dozens but love the Neero & Ana ones the best. They're organic and last a really long time.

Chetanlaiho
May 20th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Nope. lol But, hey! I have no idea if they ship internationally but I love these guys, and they sell this very reasonably priced genuine silk pillowcase:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/featured_products/cbpc.html

Thanks for the link ^^ I've considered getting it online but I have this weird thing where I don't want to order hair products online ^^; (I order most of my clothes through the internet, I'd like to be able to purchase some stuff in regural old stores as well xD) but if I can't find one IRL I'll just have to suck up my OCD tendencies for the sake of my hair ;)

lesbia
May 20th, 2011, 06:18 AM
wow! i was always be interested in a satin pillowcase because i hate hold my hair during the night. But if i sleep with my hair loose they became frizzy and dry.. I think I will try this! good grow :)

lilalong
May 20th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Ok, you convinced me - I will buy one.

sunnydays
May 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM
are they really that much different?

Misti
May 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
are they really that much different?

I am still putting together my order for Dharma Trading, (thanks Elbow Chic!) but my assumption is that satin weave has far less friction than cotton weaves usually used for beddign and so won't grab hair and rought it up the way cotton can.

Yamainu
May 20th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I got one from Dhama about six months ago, and I will NEVER go back. Twice I've had to sleep on a regular pillowcase (I forgot to bring mine when I was traveling) and the morning tangles were a nightmare. I'd forgotten how long it used to take me every morning to comb out my hair.

Misti
May 20th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I got one from Dhama about six months ago, and I will NEVER go back. Twice I've had to sleep on a regular pillowcase (I forgot to bring mine when I was traveling) and the morning tangles were a nightmare. I'd forgotten how long it used to take me every morning to comb out my hair.

Time to buy a spare to leave in the suitcase? ;)

iluvmurphie
May 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I love my satin pillowcases! I own leopard print ones!

Yamainu
May 20th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Time to buy a spare to leave in the suitcase? ;)

Hahah, yes, I plan on it next pay check...

Maelyssa
May 20th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Great recommendation. I'll have to look for one next time I'm at Walmart.

Debra83
May 21st, 2011, 12:29 AM

That's so funny!!! Reminds of when I was about 12 and we were doing a class camping trip, and I was on the top bunk with my satin sleeping bag, and someone asked me to close or open the window, and I leaned over and slipped right off the top bunk still inside my satin sleeping bag!!! Luckily, no one was hurt, including myself, as I hurtled through space! :D

squiggyflop
May 21st, 2011, 11:30 AM
oh did i mention that my father swiped all my satin pillowcases.. apparently he really really likes them... i ened up getting him some more for xmas one year

rags
May 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
I hate loathe and detest polyester satin pillowcases. They make me break out and I stick to them and just.......ugh. My SILK pillowcases, however, I am in love with! I've been sleeping on them for a couple of years now and I'll NEVER go back! I get mine from Dharma and they are fantastic. DH is in love with them too just for the coolness in summer. :D

Ya'll are enablers though. I just ordered some of the silk/cotton mix ones to have as spares, because they were so inexpensive. (I ruined one of my Dharma ones once and waiting to get the other one had to sleep on my old cotton pillowcase. I never want to do that again!)

alyanna
May 21st, 2011, 12:09 PM
I've been sleeping on satin pillowcases for years now. I love them, but yes the quality does vary. You're definitely better off with silk I think.

They're really good for the skin too, to avoid getting "pillow face" and apparently to help avoid wrinkles.

Misti
May 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
oh did i mention that my father swiped all my satin pillowcases..

IDH is in love with them too just for the coolness in summer.

OK, I'm convinced. I went back and upped my order--one each for my honey and my son (both of whom also have long hair). Maybe next order, I should get one for the guest room, too.

Shoga
May 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM
Wow. Okay, I'm buying one next pay period. O_O I'm sold! Right now my current one is cotton and I never slept on a satin or silk pillowcase that I can recall..

islandboo
May 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Ya'll are enablers though. I just ordered some of the silk/cotton mix ones to have as spares, because they were so inexpensive. (I ruined one of my Dharma ones once and waiting to get the other one had to sleep on my old cotton pillowcase. I never want to do that again!)

rags, let me know how you like the 50/50 case. I am right there with you on the satin:bad/silk:awesome bandwagon. The satin pillowcases I bought to try out now decorate our guest bed and I have 3 silk cases for my own pillow, although the oldest one is beginning to wear at the seams so a replacement purchase is on the horizon.

TheBluffs
May 22nd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Can't fight the enabling.. Runs out to catch the bus to get to the mall :D

LunaMoon
May 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
My hair loves silk pillowcases! I started using 1 year ago, and makes a big difference! I agree, if you never used, get one! (satin or silk).:)

Lux88
May 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
I find them tricky to find in store! :(

musicallberrii
May 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Just an update, but my satin pillowcase has been AMAZING. I am going back to Walmart this week to pick up another for my boyfriend (at his request because he said mine is so comfy! Never thought I'd see a grown man try to steal a pink pillow) and will probably grab a couple more while I'm there.

Already I have noticed my hair getting thicker. I have so much less breakage.. even though I have been wearing my hair down in bed lately. If I had done that on my cotton pillowcase, my hair would have been a nightmare the next day! I've also been using coconut oil on my damp hair when I was previously using it on dry hair. I think the combo is really working together and my hair has got some amazing shine and softness lately.

Also, if you are having trouble finding one, there are a couple more stores I saw that had them. Of course as I mentioned before, Walmart has them, and I've also seen them at Ross, TJ Maxx, Target, Harris Teeter (random place for pillowcases..), Dillards, and Belk. Walmart, Target, and Harris Teeter carried them in the hair care isle (the part with products for African American or ethnic hair), while Ross, TJ Maxx, Dillards, and Belk had them in their bedspreads section. Walmart was the cheapest I've seen them ($7) and Belk the most expensive ($30).

musicallberrii
May 22nd, 2011, 02:58 PM

I had that issue with my pillow at first. What helped me is that I use a cotton body pillow under my satin one.. it has less slide that way, I found. Also it helps if you put a regular cotton pillow on the other side of the bed, then there isn't much room for pillows to slide around. Usually though I just through my head on mine and it doesn't move much.. maybe I have a fat head or something?

musicallberrii
May 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM

The one I bought was by Evolve.. they aren't labeled as king size (it says standard), but there is an extra 6+ inches of room. You could definitely fit a king pillow in one!

hippiechick1976
May 22nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
I love mine:) I bought 3 of them and i change my pillowcase every morning for acne and hair oiling reasons. I usually rinse out the dirty one in the sink with a tiny bit of soap and air dry it on shower while at work etc. I noticed a HUGE difference in my hair:) I also noticed a huge difference in acne when i washed my pillowcase every night:)

carmenvanessa
May 24th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'm gonna buy this silk pillowcase, has good reviews and is $15. I am addicted to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027IS1O0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

In2wishin
May 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I have a question for those who ordered from Dharma: have you tried to dye your pillowcase? I'm kind of wierd in that I really dislike white bed linens :p

I have been sleeping on my 50/50 pillowcases for over a month now and they hold up well in use and in the wash. I'm very happy with them.

In2wishin
May 24th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I'm gonna buy this silk pillowcase, has good reviews and is $15. I am addicted to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027IS1O0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

That is a nice one! It is just acouple of dollars more than the Dharma one and you can get free shipping.

TheBluffs
May 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Okay, I've been sleeping on it for one night.. and I just can't do it! My heasd keeps slidding off, and wasn't soft at all. I also did my night braid, and I still had fruzzies. Goes back to cotton :lol:

monsterna
May 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I love my silk pillowcase. SUCH a difference in my hair, which is great for someone who showers at night and sleeps with my hair down!

I am going on vacation in a couple days and it's coming with me. :)

WaterMusic
May 25th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I picked up a set of two polysatin pillow cases yesterday. Definitely made a difference in terms of tangles, when I do braids at night they are usually falling out by the morning. But this morning they were still quite neat.

Pro tip: I got king sized. If you wrap the extra length around, then the case is less likely to slip off.

gogirlanime
May 26th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I love my silk pillowcase. SUCH a difference in my hair, which is great for someone who showers at night and sleeps with my hair down!

I am going on vacation in a couple days and it's coming with me. :)

Yeah, when I go to stay at my boyfriend's place I take my satin one with me haha

julliams
May 26th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I use silk because I find that polyester makes me sweat and I don't need that on my head! Just for some trivial information - satin actually refers to the weave of the fabric, therefore "silk satin" is actually silk with a satin weave and is silk. So satin should be called "poly satin". The first word tells you what it's made of and the second word is describing the tight weave of the fabric. I learned this when someone sold me "silk satin" and I asked which is was - lol.

I have been using my silk pillowcase for almost a year now and I love it. The difference is most noticeable when you DON'T use it. I went away this weekend and had to use cotton at a hotel. My hair was noticeably more fuzzy the next day. It made me appreciate coming home even more. Next time I'll bring my pillowcase.

heatherbelle
May 26th, 2011, 05:15 AM
:D I just ordered two silk pillow cases from Dharma Trading Co.! Can't wait to see and feel the difference in my hair!

pixiestar
May 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I've just ordered a silk pillowcase from ebay:D

strangemeow
May 26th, 2011, 05:59 PM
i heard of that before but didnt think it would make that much of a difference..but i think im going to try it now, i needed some new pillow cases anyway :)

Shoga
May 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Well, I still didn't buy a silk pillowcase yet but found an un-used satin one in my mom's linen closet. I've been using it for the past few nights and WOW it's so nice. My hair doesn't get trapped anymore. :D

Hairtada
May 27th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I bought some of those 50/50 cases off Ebay and mine were at least 2" narrower and 5" shorter than the silk ones I purchased at Dharma Trading.Too small to fit my standard size pillow. Oh, the pillow went in but it was so tight and hard to get in!!!Anyone else find them small or did I just get a wonky pair??

In2wishin
May 27th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I bought some of those 50/50 cases off Ebay and mine were at least 2" narrower and 5" shorter than the silk ones I purchased at Dharma Trading.Too small to fit my standard size pillow. Oh, the pillow went in but it was so tight and hard to get in!!!Anyone else find them small or did I just get a wonky pair??

I didn't have any trouble. In fact, mine are a bit big for my pillows.

pixiestar
May 28th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Mine just arrived, its great. Perfect size:D
This is where I got it:D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SINGLE-100-Charmeuse-SILK-Pillowcase-IVORY-CREAM-BEIGE-/250334410409?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Bedroom_Bedding_PP&hash=item3a4917f6a9#ht_3813wt_907

Lilli
May 28th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I got the SpaSilk one for $15. Used it last night - no bed head! If this continues for a few days, I'm going to start washing at night so my hair will be straight by morning.

prettykitty
June 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I totally need one, I've been braiding my hair to sleep but when i wake up the top is fiendishly fuzzy :(

homeeduk8tor
June 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I just purchased a satin pillowcase last weekend and I LOVE it. No tangles!! Wouldn't sleep without one now.

Dare_to_Dream
June 9th, 2011, 10:31 PM
SOLD!!! I'm heading to walmart tomorrow to pick one up. I hope they sell them in Canada.

Deborah
June 9th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have used and LOVED my silk pillowcases for several years now. I hate polyester, so I would never get those. I agree with whoever said Satan invented polyester. (or maybe I just made that up? Either way, I think it's true. I altogether hate that stuff.)

Occasionally I get lazy and pop on my t-shirt fabric cases, as they match the sheets I use. But I do notice that my hair shines more when I use the silk. I just got a couple of those 50% silk/50% cotton ones mentioned by several folks. They seem just as nice so far. I have one from Dharma, but I like my others better.

To Squiggy,

I had the same problem when I first bought silk pillowcases - they popped right out from under my head and landed on the floor!! I just kept at it, and somehow I adjusted I guess, because I never have that problem any more. Hang in there; it's worth it!

owlathena
June 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Ok. I'm going to suck it up and finally order one :D

pixiestar
June 9th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I've been using mine now for 2 weeks and I love it:D No more frizzies and no more morning face wrinkles:D

prettykitty
June 10th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I decided to have a bit of a look on my lunch break, and so i trooped off to Myer (large Aus department store). They stocked one brand of silk pillowcase, no satin, and they wanted $100!
So there's me walking away, and i go for a cruise down my favourite arcade to look at the Babooshka dolls, when I see a store called "the Silk Store". Two minutes later I have my very own turquise patterned silk pillowcase, for all of $29 :D

bunzfan
June 10th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I have had my pair of purple silk pillowcases for about a month now and i just love them, i don't get the frizzy look in the morning any more and all of my hair is still in its braid in the morning.

I got mine from ebay for £15 including shipping if i could gets all the other bedding at a bargain price i would have all silk.

MomOf2Gremlins
June 10th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I still have satin here in my fabric pile and always meant to make a pillow case! Today I'll do it for sure! Curious to see how it'll effect my hair as I currently find tons of hair on my cotton ones..

Sweet Beat
June 10th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I'm definitely looking for one! But so far I haven't seen a place to buy them :( Anyone who knows where to find them in Sweden? :confused:

Fufu
June 10th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Satin pillowcase sounds good, will try to buy 1 to use..

Lilli
June 10th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I got the $16 SpaSilk one from Amazon. I love it. My hair is still shiny in the morning b/c the cuticle has not got roughed up. I don't have to wash it in the morning if I don't want to.

CrystalStar
June 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Got 2 complete sets of purple satin bedding on eBay for £15.. What a steal. :D