PDA

View Full Version : When you brush/comb your hair, is it 'against' something, such as your body?

shikara
May 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I'm curious because, for my hair, I only just realized that if my hair is combed/brushed against my body, and I'm kind of holding it near the nape area, it is a much smoother process. I used to sort of bend my head a little and my hair would be 'hanging' and I now realize this wasn't good at all. Is this 'Hair 101' or are there other methods that work better for you?

Freki
May 4th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I comb from the bottom up, holding my hair just slightly above where I'm combing. Usually the hair is laying against my arm or just hanging, depending on how far up my hair I am.

skyblue
May 4th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Yep what Freki said

Madora
May 4th, 2011, 07:07 AM
No.

It is like this:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/img074.jpg

candlesandfish
May 4th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I generally lay the part of my hair that i'm working on (I section it) over my hand and brush there. Sometimes against the hand, sometimes right below. I think it helps with static?

I like to brush against my legs if Im wearing jeans, it's a nice feeling.

cindy58
May 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I comb from the bottom up, then flip over and do it from the underside like Madora shows. Amazing how many little tangles can hide under there when it feels combed from the top! Then stand up and comb from the top again. It sounds like a process, but doesn't really take that long.

littlenvy
May 4th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I do. :)
I find that brushing agains something solid detangles much much quicker and there is not as much hair lost. At least for me. It cuts down my brushing time in a half.
I am trying to brush as little as possible (just trying it out) since I used to be an avid brusher and that did quite a bit of mechanical damage to my hair. :(

What I do is that I start at the bottom, hold the hair between my tumb and forefinger and brush agains my palm or chest.
Once detangled and if needed, I take two BBB brushes and hold them one at the bottom and one on top with the hair in between and run it down my hair like a flat iron. This helps me maintain volume since BBB brushing tends to make fine hair VERY flat. I don't brush my hair upside down (or from behind) since that only makes my hair into one big nest of a mess.

TakeAPotatoChip
May 4th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I hold right above the current chunk I'm combing and comb down with the hair strands flowin' down my wrist and my forearm. =)

Madora
May 4th, 2011, 09:01 AM
"Amazing how many little tangles can hide under there when it feels combed from the top!" Cindy58

Oh, right on, Cindy58! You have to be vigilant and not take it for granted that you got all the snarls/tangles from the top! Those little devils can be deceiving!

Panth
May 4th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Put it all over left shoulder, comb down body / along leg (I usually comb while sitting now it's past classic). Put all over right shoulder, repeat to get the front bit on the right side. Put all over left shoulder, repeat to get any little bits I missed. Put all to the back and put up.

So, in short, yes. Dunno what I'll do when it gets to be past my knee when I sit and lay it along my leg...

PamelaViktoria
May 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I use my black horn comb with my head upside down. I have noticed I can now wash my hair weekly without it getting smelly.

jojo
May 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM
No.

It is like this:

I do this too (Madora taught me!) prior to this I used to comb the ends first and then the length. I only comb to de-tangle and I am now an avid BBBer!

charalito
May 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I brush to distribute the oil, so my method is to detangle with a comb first and then brush from scalp to lenght in small sections several times

Miss Catrina
May 5th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I do that. It really helps sometimes if my hair is against my chest/back.

jasper
May 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM
After reading this question, I noticed is morning that I was brushing against my wrist/arm. I was holding out a section and working on smoothing it, starting with the ends. I automatically brushed against my wrist, without thinking about it. I guess I do that Whenever I brush, which is not particularly often.

MissCoco
May 5th, 2011, 09:35 PM
No.

It is like this:

I brush my hair just like this, but then I also brush while standing upright.

DreamDance
May 5th, 2011, 11:11 PM
No.

It is like this:

Whenever I brush my hair upside down I get the most horrendous tangles when I stand back up.... Do you have to detangle again when you stand up again?

SimplyViki
May 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Whenever I brush my hair upside down I get the most horrendous tangles when I stand back up.... Do you have to detangle again when you stand up again?
Ditto that. I've always found more tangles when brushing upside-down, but I'd pretty much figured that I'd caused them by flipping my hair upside down, and that they came right back when I flipped my hair right-side-up again.

Madora
May 6th, 2011, 07:23 AM
@ DreamDance...

Once you've finished detangling and brushing in the bent position, take all your hair in your hand and hold it gently.

Now stand erect. Take the hand of hair and gently place it over a shoulder and release it.

Do not: fling/toss/throw your hair over your shoulder. This will only cause more tangles!

Once the hair is released down your back, make a center part from your forehead down to your nape. Take one section of your hair and clip it off to keep it separate from the other section.

Gently detangle again. Repeat with the other section. Voila, you are ready to style as desired.

The problem many people have with using the "bent" position is that they toss/throw/fling their hair when they're finished brushing...which is asking for it as far as tangles are concerned!

I learned the hard way and finally saw the light. The thing to remember in brushing/combing (and in the shower too) is this: the more you can control how your hair moves, the less you'll avoid unnecessary tangling.

spidermom
May 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM
When I use my BBB, I press with my hand against the bristles, otherwise it only skims the surface. Otherwise I have my hair lifted so that it's hanging free.

dragonchickx
May 6th, 2011, 08:22 AM
yeah I brush my hair against my hip.. and than I will do it from the side when most of the tangles are out. I hate the feeling of a snag so when I do it against something I have more control of how much tug I have.

DreamDance
May 6th, 2011, 09:19 AM
@ DreamDance...

Once you've finished detangling and brushing in the bent position, take all your hair in your hand and hold it gently.

Now stand erect. Take the hand of hair and gently place it over a shoulder and release it.

Do not: fling/toss/throw your hair over your shoulder. This will only cause more tangles!

Once the hair is released down your back, make a center part from your forehead down to your nape. Take one section of your hair and clip it off to keep it separate from the other section.

Gently detangle again. Repeat with the other section. Voila, you are ready to style as desired.

The problem many people have with using the "bent" position is that they toss/throw/fling their hair when they're finished brushing...which is asking for it as far as tangles are concerned!

I learned the hard way and finally saw the light. The thing to remember in brushing/combing (and in the shower too) is this: the more you can control how your hair moves, the less you'll avoid unnecessary tangling.

Thank you, I'll have to try that!

elbow chic
May 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'm going to try Madora's method, too. I did bend over and brush last night, with her method in mind, but then flung it back over and that was pretty much a mess. :laugh: