PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried a banana and olive oil hair treatment?

shikara
May 4th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I think I'm going to try this tomorrow or Sunday, and I'm wondering whether anyone has tried this, whether it failed or was successful, and in what way. What condition was your hair in when you tried it - healthy? dry? tangly? Apparently, it's not only supposed to be very conditioning (I've used olive oil but not banana) as well as (giving the appearance of?) thickening hair. I have heard, though, that you must make sure the banana is thoroughly blended, or it can be very hard to rinse out.

CrystalStar
May 4th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Yes, I have tried this mix! My hair was bleached for years and then henna'd over, and as a result despite my hair feeling nice I just kept getting split ends. The last few inches felt a little frazzled so I got the blender out, chopped a banana up, added a generous splash of olive oil and mixed it up very thoroughly (washing banana chunks out of your hair isn't fun!). When I managed to get the olive oil out my hair was quite soft and fluffy but it wasn't the best treatment I have ever done. It didn't particularly thicken my hair. :(

serious
May 4th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I tried banana once! It WAS thoroughly blended but I couldn't take the banana chunks out for days!!! No fun!

I've heard people use baby food with better results, haven't tried it myself though.

salls
May 4th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I thirdthe chunks are a nightmare.

Chetanlaiho
May 4th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I did a treatment that had both olive oil and banana in it (along with avocado and some rosemary EO) and I remember it wasn't very much fun to try and get the banana out of my hair :/ my hair also felt a bit crunchy afterwards but that may have been the protein?

jasper
May 4th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I use banana in the caramel treatment. It has olive oil in it but also a lot of other stuff. I think caramel treatment improved dry hair for me. To me, the tricky thing to rinse out is the seeds of the banana because they are tiny and a few might be left behind. And the only time I had real trouble getting the banana out was when I had frozen the treatment for later use and used the microwave to thaw it. The "cooked" banana was more inclined to stick to my hair.

jojo
May 4th, 2011, 06:16 AM
oh my your taking me back, dont use normal bananas try a banana baby food its easier to wash out. I got lovely results with the baby food but with a ripe banana I ended up with black banana in my hair for ages!

AmericanWoman
May 4th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I did the Caramel Treatment too. No problem with the bananas, I put them in the blender.