PDA

View Full Version : MSN: 10 Hair Rules to Break

BrightEyes7
May 3rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Found this interesting MSN article, 10 Hair rules to break! I like #1 as I'm sure most here will too!

Here is the link to the article for celebrity pics and product recommendations, but I also copied the article 'rules to break':
http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/makeup-skin-care-hair/staticslideshowinstyle.aspx?cp-documentid=28378141&icid=LIFESTYLE3&GT1=LIFESTYLE3

1. Older Women Shouldn't Go Long
Break It: Long hair after 40 doesn't automatically make you look older, but since hair thins as you age, pump up the volume with layers and movement around the face. "Poker-straight styles are too harsh," says stylist Byron Williams, who has worked with Demi Moore. Los Angeles stylist Chris McMillan advises parting hair on the side. "It will open up your entire face and give you a fresh, wide-awake look," he says.

2. Redheads Can't Wear Red Lips
Break It: Makeup artist Molly Stern gave Amy Adams a strawberry pout at the première of The Fighter. Stern says pick a shade that's richer in intensity than your strands, like cherry and scarlet, and keep blush and eye makeup neutral.

3. Hide Your Gray
Break It: "Gray hair used to represent beauty on the decline, but that's no longer the case," says N.Y.C. colorist Louis Licari. Models at Calvin Klein and Chanel walked down the runway with white stripes in their hair. To make silver sexy, Licari recommends adding white highlights around the face and crown and using blue-based shampoos or styling spray (like Goldwell's).

4. Bangs Shouldn't Be Wavy
Break It: Bangs don't have to be stick straight, says N.Y.C. hairstylist Garren. For a fresh look, he suggests applying a setting lotion (like René Furterer Acanthe Curl Enhancing leave-in fluid, $26; beauty.com). Sweep your wavy fringe to one side and allow it to air-dry. "Your bangs will form a pretty curve that softens up your entire face," he says.

5. Turn Down the Heat
Break It: Dialing down the heat on flatirons actually does more harm than good, says N.Y.C. stylist Robert Vasquez. "Dragging the flatiron on that same piece over and over again is what weakens the hair's outer protective layer," he says. Divide hair into 2-inch sections and glide the iron slowly, gradually increasing pressure from roots to ends and making only one pass at the highest setting (typically 410 degrees).

6. Trim Every Six Weeks
Break It: "Hair simply doesn't grow that fast," says stylist Jen Atkin of the Andy Lecompte Salon in West Hollywood. Most cuts take three months to lose their shape. (If you use styling tools frequently, cut every 10 weeks.) To keep locks looking healthy in between chops, Atkin recommends using a hydrating cream on ends.

7. Extra Shampooing Gets Hair Cleaner
Nothing strips hair faster than a frothy lather, says Fabian Lliguin of Cocoon Hair Studio in N.Y.C. When your scalp is dry, it produces more oil to compensate, resulting in greasy roots and brittle ends. "It's a catch-22," says Lliguin. Instead, apply a conventional shampoo only to the scalp or switch to a gentler oil-based shampoo.

8. Silk Flowers are for Brides
Break It: Heavily lacquered undos are out, says Palau, who paired giant flowers with frizzed-out hair at the Marc Jacobs show. He suggests keeping strands long and loose and anchoring a small silk flower just behind the ear. "A big flower can overpower you," he says.

9. Fight the Frizz
Break It: "Frizz can be super-glamorous," says Miami hairstylist Oribe. "Movie stars in the 1930s actually brushed out their curls to create volume with an ethereal quality. It just can't look like an accident." Add texture and control to the ends with a dollop of mousse, then smooth the roots with a medium-hold hairspray.

10. Evening Requires an Updo
Break It: Loose strands can be just as dressy as upswept hair, says Oribe, as long as you define wimpy waves with a curling iron, or make straight hair even sleeker with a flatiron. "Be deliberate," he says. "Loose hair only looks casual when its texture is neither here nor there." On the flip side, an easy updo adds a touch of refinement to daytime looks.

jesis
May 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
I enjoyed this! I like #9. I brush my curls out with a BBB on the second day and it gives me a kind of controlled frizz look that I love. :D

QMacrocarpa
May 3rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Hmm, I wonder if "undos" is a typo for "updos"? I kind of like the idea of calling hair that's down an "undo" though! :D

Miss Catrina
May 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'd like to hear some other opinions on #5... Sounds majorly ishy to me.

BrightEyes7
May 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM

It makes sense in a way.

If you are going to heat style, if you turn the heat down you are going to pass the heat tool over the same section of hair multiple times to attempt to acheive the look you get if you pass over it only once at a higher setting. In the end you causing the same damage, if not more since you are manipulating the hair more.

But they don't mention the fact that women with fine hair need a lower heat setting than those with thick, coarse hair!

ETA: But my flat iron doesn't have a heat setting, it's on or off!

teela1978
May 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
I think they have a point. Going over the same strands multiple times at a lower temperature does sound worse to me than going over each section once at a higher temp.

If you can manage one swipe at a lower temp then do it, when I was flatironing regularly I noticed that lower settings required more runs over my length than the higher temps though.

In2wishin
May 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM

Me too. All of the others make sense. I don't do 2 (not a redhead), 4 (don't have bangs), and 5 (don't use heated anything) but I regularly break all of the rest of them :p

gogirlanime
May 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
I like #2 I've been able to pull off red lips well with red hair, you just have to find the right shade that matches your skin and hair.

Sundial
May 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
I like all of it :thumbsup:

As for #5, I think there is some truth to it. It is like exposing hair to low damaging heat over a longer period of time when you keep passing over it rather than just high damaging heat in 2 seconds. Multiply that by the number of straightening sessions you do over the life of the hair strands, the accumulated damage might be considerable.

Back when I used straighteners, I used to keep it on low heat thinking that I was doing my hair a favor. But it probably takes me 5 tries to get 1 strip right so that is 5 times as much exposure to heat as if I had done it right just the first time with higher heat

Miss Catrina
May 3rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
I understand what they mean about irons, but at the same time, I know that at the higher settings, I can't even touch my hair after I use it without burning my fingers. So it's hard to wrap my head around the idea that THAT is better than several pass-throughs with gentle heat.

Rocket22
May 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Pretty much most of this is common knowledge for LHC :) LOVE IT!!!

Miss Catrina
May 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Pretty much most of this is common knowledge for LHC :) LOVE IT!!!

Thank goodness someone besides us is standing up for middled age+ ladies rocking the long hair, though!

BrightEyes7
May 3rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
I understand what they mean about irons, but at the same time, I know that at the higher settings, I can't even touch my hair after I use it without burning my fingers. So it's hard to wrap my head around the idea that THAT is better than several pass-throughs with gentle heat.

Yes, but you have very fine, thin practically straight hair to begin with. You most definately should be using a lower heat setting because you can probably get your hair straight after one pass on a low setting.

elbow chic
May 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Preach the Frizz Gospel!

vanillabones
May 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
I don't like the last one because I wouldn't want to use a flat iron or curling iron, why don't they suggest healthier easier ways to get curls :p