PDA

View Full Version : Silk Scarf for holding up wet hair?

alxardnax
May 3rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
I am looking to try out hair wrapping and am searching for a silk scarf. I think I will just purchase one from Dharma but there are so many types of silk to choose from. Can somebody help me out??http://www.dharmatrading.com/silk_scarves.html

Thanks!!

DoubleCrowned
May 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
What a cool site for buying scarves!

Maybe we can figure out the best scarf by eliminating those that won't work.

For hair wrapping, are you trying to just hold the hair in place, or are you trying to absorb some moisture?

dawnss
May 3rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Um I just use a regular satin scarf from sallys, honestly I do not think that it matters which one you use. But make sure though that your hair is completely smooth before you wrap your hair and while wrapping, keep your hair smooth and make sure that it is tangle free.

LadyLongLocks
May 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Just never oil your hair and then wrap it with a silk scarf with color. A friend of mine with light blonde hair did this and she left it on overnight. Her hair turned the colors of the scarf.
She was horrified and had to bleach it out.I think it was pink blotches.
I would go for a plain white T shirt for wet hair.

Joribear
May 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
I would love instructions for using a t-shirt to wrap my hair! I bought a satin scarf/hair wrap from Sally's and I'm just too inept to figure out how to make it cover all of my hair and stay on!

alxardnax
May 3rd, 2011, 10:50 PM
Just never oil your hair and then wrap it with a silk scarf with color. A friend of mine with light blonde hair did this and she left it on overnight. Her hair turned the colors of the scarf.
She was horrified and had to bleach it out.I think it was pink blotches.

Wow! Thanks for the advice!

terpentyna
May 4th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I got my silk scarf at a Salvation Army store. It was like 75 cents and in great quality,pretty pattern. So if you're in the US, that's what I suggest, if not - maybe you have good thrift shops around? I'm sorry if I disgust anyone.

skyblue
May 4th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I got my silk scarf at a Salvation Army store. It was like 75 cents and in great quality,pretty pattern. So if you're in the US, that's what I suggest, if not - maybe you have good thrift shops around? I'm sorry if I disgust anyone.

In no way is it disgusting, with the way prices are going up these days, thrift is the way to go, anyway you find some really nice things in those stores

sharicat
May 4th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Is a silk scarf good for hair? Is it for sleeping in or drying?

terpentyna
May 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
In no way is it disgusting, with the way prices are going up these days, thrift is the way to go, anyway you find some really nice things in those stores

Thank you, and agreed :). I remember seeing anywhere from 10 to 40 satin (and often silk) scarves at thrift stores, mainly the kind men would wear with a suit or something.

Is a silk scarf good for hair? Is it for sleeping in or drying?

A silk scarf is good to wrap your hair in because it is thin, dense, and does not cause as much friction as other materials and also does not draw out moisture like other materials. I wrap slightly damp hair in a (silk) scarf usually until the next morning and I find that my length is incredibly smooth and looks very healthy.