PDA

View Full Version : Biotin in Shampoo & Conditioner

Gwen
May 3rd, 2011, 07:58 AM
I was reading the ingredients in my shampoo & conditioner yesterday (Tresemme) and noticed that Biotin is in each. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought biotin (and other supplements like that) were only useful if you ingest it. What good would it do just by putting it on your head and then washing it off? Just curious :)

Gwen

littlenvy
May 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
I was reading the ingredients in my shampoo & conditioner yesterday (Tresemme) and noticed that Biotin is in each. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought biotin (and other supplements like that) were only useful if you ingest it. What good would it do just by putting it on your head and then washing it off? Just curious :)

Gwen
:) LOL. I can't correct you because I know the same thing.
But a lot of other people who buy the stuff don't. ;)

vanillabones
May 3rd, 2011, 08:10 AM
I think it's a little silly too but when I read it on the bottle it makes me feel better by telling myself it is helping :p

Fingolphin
May 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
You are correct: you have to ingest it. Your hair has to grow with it. It doesn't magically sink into your hair and change the structure of it.

In2wishin
May 3rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
The only vitamin known to benefit hair when used in a shampoo or conditioner is panthenol (aka vitamin B5). I wondered about the biotin too but couldn't find anything except manufacturers claims that it does anything.

Othala
May 3rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Actually, yes, biotin is absorbed through the skin.

Here is a scientific study that demonstrated that Biotin can be absorbed through the skin: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10524353

"The study was designed to test the ability of sequential applications of biotin-containing ointment to increase serum biotin levels. Twenty atopic dermatitis patients (mean age, 20.5 yr) and 11 healthy subjects (mean age, 25.5 yr) volunteered to participate in this study. The diagnosis of atopic dermatitis was established dermatologically. Seven grams per day of ointment containing 0.3% biotin and 1-4 g per day of steroid ointment were both applied sequentially. The healthy subjects applied only biotin ointment. The biotin concentration was determined microbiologically. Before biotin treatment, the average serum biotin level was significantly lower in atopic dermatitis patients than in healthy subjects. The percutaneous application of biotin-containing ointment caused a significant increase in the serum biotin concentration in both healthy subjects (from 41.5 +/- 10.0 to 50.2 +/- 9.2 nmol/L) and in atopic dermatitis patients (from 27.9 +/- 17.4 to 50.7 +/- 21.6 nmol/L), especially in patients whose initial level was low, and also could be effective in regulating the atopic allergic response involving eosinophils. In conclusion, biotin appears to be readily absorbed through both normal and dermatitis-affected human skin.

When I used a leave-in Nexxus biotin scalp cream, I got increased growth and better hair qualiity. Unfortunately the stuff is expensive.

littlenvy
May 3rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Yes, that may be true, but that's talking ointment or a leave-in. Shampoo and Conditioner usually don't stay on the scalp long enough to be of any use or get absorbed in any meaningful way. And biotin has no effect on the hair shaft itself. At least that's my logic. :) LOL

racrane
May 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
I just noticed this yesterday by really studying my VO5 conditioners. Would it help at all if I use the conditioner as a leave in? I don't know why they put it in the shampoo because it just rinses right out...

gogirlanime
May 3rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Actually, yes, biotin is absorbed through the skin.

Here is a scientific study that demonstrated that Biotin can be absorbed through the skin: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10524353

"The study was designed to test the ability of sequential applications of biotin-containing ointment to increase serum biotin levels. Twenty atopic dermatitis patients (mean age, 20.5 yr) and 11 healthy subjects (mean age, 25.5 yr) volunteered to participate in this study. The diagnosis of atopic dermatitis was established dermatologically. Seven grams per day of ointment containing 0.3% biotin and 1-4 g per day of steroid ointment were both applied sequentially. The healthy subjects applied only biotin ointment. The biotin concentration was determined microbiologically. Before biotin treatment, the average serum biotin level was significantly lower in atopic dermatitis patients than in healthy subjects. The percutaneous application of biotin-containing ointment caused a significant increase in the serum biotin concentration in both healthy subjects (from 41.5 +/- 10.0 to 50.2 +/- 9.2 nmol/L) and in atopic dermatitis patients (from 27.9 +/- 17.4 to 50.7 +/- 21.6 nmol/L), especially in patients whose initial level was low, and also could be effective in regulating the atopic allergic response involving eosinophils. In conclusion, biotin appears to be readily absorbed through both normal and dermatitis-affected human skin.

When I used a leave-in Nexxus biotin scalp cream, I got increased growth and better hair qualiity. Unfortunately the stuff is expensive.

I agree, it does work. My co-worker leaves in Mill Creek's Biotin conditioner in her hair all day and she says she's getting a lot of growth and she is, I can tell. Although I do agree that these claims are stretched quite a bit. But almost any vitamin you take internally will do things for your body when applied externally.

Some examples
-Vitamin C on your skin will lighten it
-Vitamin E on your skin will soften it
-Vitamin B12 has been used in Mesotherapy
-Vitamin A (a derivative) is used for acne
-Vitamin B1 is used in some insect repellants
-Etc

Your body skin absorbs up to 60% of what you put on it. Sometimes, topical treatments are better than internal treatments because the nutrients go right to the source.

I don't believe you are going to get any MIRACLE results, but biotin in shampoo will do something. The problem is that your scalp doesn't get enough time to absorb it because you just wash it out. But if you were to do what my co-worker does, it would be beneficial.

Othala
May 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
Yes, that may be true, but that's talking ointment or a leave-in.

Yes, that's why I said in my original post that I used a leave in biotin scalp cream.

I agee that a shampoo or rinse-off conditioner would not be on the scalp long enough to be absorbed and that vitamins on the hair shaft (with the exception of panthenol) don't appear to have any benefit.