PDA

View Full Version : Sock Bun Curls

Firefly
May 3rd, 2011, 07:05 AM
Just a couple of questions for those of you who have tried this:

1. Is it damaging to the hair?

2. Did you have to experiment a bit to get it right? I tried for the first time last night (never had tried a sock bun until then), and I had some trouble getting the hair rolled right. This morning when I unrolled it it was so, SO frizzy!! And huge, like a big, tangled lion's mane. I'm talking Rosanna Roseanna Roseannadana (I'm probably dating myself with that reference :D).

I'd love to hear some feedback/tips. The curls in the video look so gorgeous!

Eden75
May 3rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
I tried this last night! I have no idea it it damages your hair, but it looks great today! I have naturally curly hair though, so it's make them all uniform and perfect. The only thing I did put in before I rolled it up was Biosilk on the ends to protect them, just in case.

Sundial
May 3rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
I had that frizzy issue too, and in my case, it was mainly from kinked ends. I figured it could be because I did the sock bun while my hair was damp because I started noticing the same problem when I do other buns with damp hair.

But I have never gotten around to trying the sock bun again with dry hair because I am worried about getting the same frizzy results, so I cannot conclude if my suspicion is right. I feel that it was either a case of (1) bunning with damp hair, (2) not rolling each strand carefully enough and folding it in the process, or (3) damaged hair not taking well to being rolled. Either way, I'm not planning on trying it again until my damaged hair and my layers grow out

jojo
May 3rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
I dont intentionality do buns for waves as my hair is naturally wavy but I do notice crimped ends when I take my bun out; which Ive wondered about too. Maybe rag curls or braid waves (braided right to the end) may be a better option. Realistically I can't see they do damage, the ends just dont look nice.

Firefly
May 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Thank you Eden, Sundial and Jojo! You've given me some things to try... maybe put a little something on the ends, or, not do it damp. I really like the idea to try rag curls, too. If I can't get this to work then I am definitely giving that a go.

I am a natural wavy but I was just looking for something to help the waves look less messy (I think my hair always looks unkempt!). Thanks again!

jojo
May 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
forgot to say before loving your siggi, nice to put some hair to a name!

If your naturally wavy try two damp rope braids, they give beautiful spirals, just make sure to braid to the end.

BrightEyes7
May 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
I had to practice a bit to get the sock bun technique down.

The trick, I've found, is to pull the sock out to tighten the bun after each roll. This helps keep it closer to the head and neater. And it takes a bit of practice to get the ends to lay flat while rolling to keep them from kinking, but you should be able to figure it out!!

Firefly
May 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Jojo-- thank you! I've been wanting to try rope braids for ages. This is definitely a sign I just need to go ahead and do it.

BrightEyes--great suggestion! I definitely had a lot of difficulty with that part, and huge pieces hanging out instead of being nice and tightly wrapped.

I'm so excited to give it another shot! Though, I'll probably wait until sometime next week. I think I intimidated DH last night with my Gigantic Bun of Doom perching high on my head. When he came into bed he looked at it and said, "Do you come in peace?" :lol:

BrightEyes7
May 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'm so excited to give it another shot! Though, I'll probably wait until sometime next week. I think I intimidated DH last night with my Gigantic Bun of Doom perching high on my head. When he came into bed he looked at it and said, "Do you come in peace?" :lol:

Hehe... Also, try using a different size sock. I had to change socks a few times until I found one that worked for my hair length/texture/thickness.

Firefly
May 3rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Oh wow, I just did my first rope braid! It was so easy; now I feel foolish for not trying it sooner. :o

BrightEyes-- I'm going to raid the misfit sock basket tonight to see if I can find a few different sizes. Thanks so much for recommending that; it definitely could be effecting the result. I'll play around some with that, too.... Yay! Lots of different things to try! I'll post results if/when I'm successful.

jojo
May 3rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
Jojo-- thank you! I've been wanting to try rope braids for ages. This is definitely a sign I just need to go ahead and do it.

BrightEyes--great suggestion! I definitely had a lot of difficulty with that part, and huge pieces hanging out instead of being nice and tightly wrapped.

rope braids are my favorite braid and the easiest to do! heres a link to how to do it, looks lovely in a bun too!

Firefly
May 4th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I'm sorry Jojo I don't see the link. Could you try again? I'm curious to see the rope braid bun; it sounds so pretty. Thanks!

growingpains
May 4th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I've done it a few times. No damage. I think it's a gentle way to sleep as long as it's high on the head.

Great curls so far, in fact about to take my sock bun out.

My problem seems to be getting my curls even. However, I will say that the times I did it with unwashed hair, or hair that had buildup, it didn't work. In my experience hair needs to be freshly clean and slightly damp before you bun.

Good luck!!

jojo
May 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM
sorry i forgot to paste it duh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRfCnIHwlHo

and the rope braid bun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94eruaEMzVM

and another fishtail but be warned achy arms! but nice waves! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-YBVhFh9A

Firefly
May 5th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Awesome! Thanks so much. I'm off to view them now... :)

Fufu
May 5th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Sock bun curls, I tried last night, though I didn't use sock, I pretty much like the results. Perhaps, socks will even work better.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/NoHeatCurls-5May2011-1.jpg

Firefly
May 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
They look really pretty, Fufu! What did you use to make the curls?

Fufu
May 5th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks Firefly.

I use this, link as below :)

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/350116471-free-shipping-Bun-Clip-Maker-Hair-Accessory-22-5cm-wholesalers.html

Sundial
May 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks Firefly.

I use this, link as below :)

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/350116471-free-shipping-Bun-Clip-Maker-Hair-Accessory-22-5cm-wholesalers.html

I got those too! But how do you keep the ends of the bun maker from peeking out Fufu? Mine always shows and it drives me nuts so I have been resorting to using scarves and scrunchies to conceal it.

By the way, your hair looks gloriously long in that shot!

Signe
May 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM
bumpity bump.....tried them yesterday evening, here's what they look like an hour after being taken out...
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7293/p5140006.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/p5140006.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

i think i need to do the bottom layer separate from the canopy cos the bottom doesn't take a curl as well. lovely shiny curls though, i love it!
:p

Firefly
May 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Ooo, it came out so pretty! I still have tried again, but hope for similar results when I do... **fingers crossed**

Sweet Beat
May 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Nope. At least if you're careful when you handle the sock :)

2. Did you have to experiment a bit to get it right?
I'm still experinenting ;) Have done it twice (not super serious whith mousse and that kind of stuff) and it went out well, especially the first time when I tried with just one sock.

Signe
May 13th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Ok, so, after doing this 3 times this week, I think I have come up with a solution to the things that are annoying me about this technique.
The first time I had a sock donut which was too coarse on the outside, resulting in frizzies, so I changed it for a very smooth one and that problem got wayyyy better.
Also, I have started doing it without a hair elastic. The first time I got a bump from that which didn't blend in very well, so now I secure the hair up with a string or ribbon in a bow, roll the hair, and then untie the ribbon so that only the hair donut is holding the style in place.
I also thought to reduce frizzies by wrapping the entire creation in a silk scarf for the night.
Next experiment is going to be 2 sock buns, arranged vertically on the back of my head, so that one contains the canopy and one contains the underside. For the canopy I just need water to hold the style before i put it in, but the under layers will probably need some mousse.
Will post results on Monday =)

Paranda Belle
May 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I find my ends can get dry as they lie next to the sock material rather than the hair, so the moisture get sucked out.

beccababesx
May 16th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I don't think it damages the hair as long as you tie them carefully and don't get knots (like I always do :p). It definitely took practice for me, the first time I tried it I came out looking like this :silly: ! I personally needed 4 sock buns (aka looking like an alien) to get the kind of nice bouncy curls I was looking for, but it depends on your hair thickness, strand thickness, and hair texture.

Phalaenopsis
May 16th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Ok, so, after doing this 3 times this week, I think I have come up with a solution to the things that are annoying me about this technique.
The first time I had a sock donut which was too coarse on the outside, resulting in frizzies, so I changed it for a very smooth one and that problem got wayyyy better.
Also, I have started doing it without a hair elastic. The first time I got a bump from that which didn't blend in very well, so now I secure the hair up with a string or ribbon in a bow, roll the hair, and then untie the ribbon so that only the hair donut is holding the style in place.
I also thought to reduce frizzies by wrapping the entire creation in a silk scarf for the night.
Next experiment is going to be 2 sock buns, arranged vertically on the back of my head, so that one contains the canopy and one contains the underside. For the canopy I just need water to hold the style before i put it in, but the under layers will probably need some mousse.
Will post results on Monday =)
And? :) I'm sooo curious!

I'm going to try it out too, but I'm also having difficulty rolling it up, but I will try the tips I read here.

LadieRyrie
May 16th, 2011, 07:09 AM
It's really hard to roll up. I tried the sock bun on myself, but it didn't work because my hair is too short. So then I did it on my sister who has waist length hair and it turned out curly, but not the way it was supposed to.

Meh.

TheBluffs
May 16th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I tried it. But I kind of ended up with Z thing. It must have been the tightennes of the elastics. No frizz. :)

CrisDee
May 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Re the frizzy ends, I'd seen a TorrinPage rag curling video in which she used end papers (like for a perm) to keep the ends perfectly smooth and frizz-free - wonder if that'd work for sock bun curling?

Phalaenopsis
May 16th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I tried it. Sitting with a big bun on my head now :) I used an elastic with hooks, so when I made my bun I unhooked it. (elastics give me ugly knicks). I put a soft scarf over the bun to keep it nice while walking around. I can't wait till tomorrow!
I do have to admit it's still a real drag to roll up all my hair. I thinks it's easier when you don't have so much hair.

Signe
May 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
And? :) I'm sooo curious!

Sorry Phalaenopsis! I couldn't do my experiment yesterday because my other donut was missing and I didn't have the spare socks to make another one. I will be running some errands today though, so tomorrow hopefully I will be able to show some results! This is good though because it means I can get a smaller sock for the nape section and try to coax out some tighter curls down there :p

Signe
May 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
ok, got another donut, pics tomorrow ;)

MissManda
May 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I've done sock bun curls a few times now and I absolutely :crush: them! The best results I've ever gotten with sock bun curls was when I put my damp hair up in the morning, wore it all day, and went into the sauna after swimming (without getting my hair wet, of course). It gave my hair the chance to completely dry and I also think the heat from the sauna helped dry my hair and/or set the curls. I can't wait to visit the sauna again!

Here is today's experiment. I want to see how the braid waves look with brthe curls. :D I initially intended to do it with two French braids, but I can't seem to be able to do combo braids today, so I gave up on that.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=102978

I'll report back provided the hairstyle doesn't get ruined over the rest of the day.

Firefly
May 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
MissManda, when you did it the first time, about how high up on your head did you wear the bun?

I can't wait to see yours and Signe's results! :drama:

Angeletti
May 16th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I'm currently sitting around the house with a huge sock bun on the top of my head. I let my hair air dry then misted it with water and rolled it up with one of the hubby's socks. It's the first time I've tried this method of curling, so I'll share the results with you guys tomorrow if it turns out : )

MissManda
May 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM
MissManda, when you did it the first time, about how high up on your head did you wear the bun?

I can't wait to see yours and Signe's results! :drama:

Oh, you mean when I wore a sock bun into the sauna? I started it with a high ponytail so I could get more hair into the bun. When I'm wearing just a normal sock bun with no extra braiding, I generally do a high ponytail because it distributes the weight better. Starting with a mid-high ponytail results in a headache because my hair is heavy.

Hope that helps! :flower:

FarmGirl
May 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I get the best results when I dampen my hair lightly and just rope braid and then rag curl the ends. My sock buns just get huge poofs of hair because I have a hard time tightening each roll... and then if I do actually get some waves from it, they are all different sizes and rather not nice :(. But I can still get pretty waves from braiding, so I'm joyful :)

MissManda
May 16th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Well, today's experiment didn't go according to plan because the sock wouldn't stay in for some reason. I have another donut lying around somewhere, but I need to find it since it seems to have disappeared. The donut that's missing is much bigger and suits my hair better since my hair doesn't overwhelm it. With the donut I was using today, my hair didn't seem to want to bend itself around it for some reason. So strange.

I'll look for my bigger donut and try again this weekend.

Signe
May 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM
So, I took a shower tonight and then waited until my hair was *almost* dry and rolled it up in two sock buns like this...

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6458/p5180008.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/p5180008.jpg/)

I didn't fully adjust the hair around the donut because IMO that just causes unnecessary mess and it is easier to tighten if some of the donut is exposed.
Then, I wrapped it all up in a silk scarf...

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/7899/p5180009.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/p5180009.jpg/)

I really hope this time works on underside of my hair... the curls I got on top from my last sock bun were so lush!

Phalaenopsis
May 17th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I did it with one sock bun and let it dry for half a day and a night. No succes whatsoever. :(

julliams
May 17th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I desperately wanted this to work for me but it really didn't. I had an awful night's sleep as I normally sleep with my hair out, and then when I took the bun down it was still as damp as I'd put it up and my curls were unruly and stuck out at funny angles. I so wanted it to work...

Firefly
May 17th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Oh, you mean when I wore a sock bun into the sauna? I started it with a high ponytail so I could get more hair into the bun. When I'm wearing just a normal sock bun with no extra braiding, I generally do a high ponytail because it distributes the weight better. Starting with a mid-high ponytail results in a headache because my hair is heavy.

Hope that helps! :flower:

It does, thanks! When I tried it I wore the sock bun VERY high up on my head... like sitting on top where you would balance a plate. I'm wondering if that contributed to the poof I experienced. I think I'll try wearing a little lower next time and see. I also plan to try a smaller sock. I may do that tonight and if so, I'll post my results.

Signe-- looking forward to seeing yours!

Mesmerise
May 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Hmm I am going to try this tonight. Should be interesting as I've never done a sock bun before! I guess the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work ;).

Signe
May 17th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Here are the results of last night's 2 sock bun experiment....

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7130/p5180007.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/p5180007.jpg/)

I can definitely feel waves underneath like I was going for, but putting it up before it had dried enough was a mistake....the curls were a bit frizzy, not as defined, and they look in danger of falling out in the next hour. I'm gonna wait til my hair is dry and put it back up...maybe something good will come of it this evening...

Firefly
May 17th, 2011, 10:59 AM
WOW, I think that looks fantastic, Signe! If only mine would come out that way!

Signe
May 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Thank you, Firefly! That photo was taken immediately after they were unrolled, but I have to say that the frizzies calmed down a lot over the next half hour. I think it was because my hair was still a tiny bit damp from the night before. By the time my hair had dried completely, the curls hung a lot better and the frizzies were to a minimum...I will definitely do the 2 sock bun again.

Loepsie
May 17th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Aah all of your curls look great! =D
I've found that the bun is easier to roll if you wrap the hair through the sock a few times first and start rolling after that, instead of distributing the hair around the sock in the beginning. If that makes any sense =P
I really want to try more than one bun but I'm affraid I wouldn't be able to sleep =( Might try it tonight though ^-^

ooo
May 17th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Thought my hair is naturally curly, after a sock bun it gets all into big glamour locks. Does look kind of nice, but I would not do it on purpose.

Signe
May 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Hey Loepsie! You are the reason I have fallen in love with the sock bun!

I didn't have problems sleeping with two arranged vertically because I sleep on my side, so they didn't really get in the way...also, it distributed the weight pretty evenly so there was no pulling of random hairs, which is one of my main complaints with updos.

Angeletti
May 17th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I was pretty happy with my results, I was looking for soft curls and lots of volume and that's what I got : ) Not to mention that the sockbun on the top of my head was so comfortable compared to most of the buns lately that have been pulling on my scalp.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/buncurls.jpg

christine1989
May 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I tried this multiple times but it just dosen't work for me like it should :(. I end up with a fro when I wake up and it only gets frizzier if I attempt to comb or brush it. Maybe my hair is too wet when I bun it or I'm not using enough leave in conditioner :confused:. Tonight I'm trying this with panacea rather than traditional leave in and hopefully that will produce some different results.

tigr
May 17th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Wow Signe and Angeletti! Both of you! Your hair looks fabulous!

Firefly
May 17th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Your curls came out great, Angeletti! Man, I hope I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. I want those curls!

Phalaenopsis
May 18th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I was pretty happy with my results, I was looking for soft curls and lots of volume and that's what I got : ) Not to mention that the sockbun on the top of my head was so comfortable compared to most of the buns lately that have been pulling on my scalp.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/buncurls.jpg

Aaaah, if you can do this, I should be too! Tell exactly what you did, please?:D I'm really trying to figure out what I did wrong. My hair didn't get dry even after carrying it around like that so long. Maybe it was the scarf.

Please share, it's gorgeous :flower:

Phalaenopsis
May 18th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Here are the results of last night's 2 sock bun experiment....

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7130/p5180007.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/p5180007.jpg/)

I can definitely feel waves underneath like I was going for, but putting it up before it had dried enough was a mistake....the curls were a bit frizzy, not as defined, and they look in danger of falling out in the next hour. I'm gonna wait til my hair is dry and put it back up...maybe something good will come of it this evening...
Very pretty! I have the same problem with the drying, still figuring that out. Maybe it's the scarf? Since you also wore a scarf and had the same problem as me?

pixiestar
May 18th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Signe and Angeletti, loving your curls from the sock bun:D I just wish my hair would hurry up and grow:( so I can get curls like yours:D

Signe
May 18th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Phal, I think for me the answer is to do it when my hair is 100% dry already, maybe just with a tiny mist before I put it up. If I try to wet-set it inevitably gets all frizzy. I need to figure out a way to get it to hold, though, and I am not a big fan of product.

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Hmm mine turned a bit frizzy and the curls weren't well formed :( I guess I need some practice!! I tried not to make it too wet when I started... hmm maybe it was the sock? I dunno...

Angeletti
May 18th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Thanks everyone : )

Phal- I let my hair air dry until it felt completely dry to the touch, then using a spray bottle I misted some water on the length a little bit. I flipped my head upside down and started rolling the sock from my ends all the way to the base while still upside down. I hope it works for you next time!

Nessarose
May 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Love the curls, girls!
I did the sock bun for a while after I found Loepsie's tut, then I stopped and started doing a bun on top of my head with spin pins at night.
I did the sock bun last night and my hair turned out beautifully! I waited until it was about 90% dry and added a little frizz taming lotion (Dove). I think I stopped doing the bun b/c I could never get the rolling right. Well it actually worked on the first try last night!
I'll try to take a pic when I get home, but it's rainy and my hair never holds a curl. I do have to remember not to add my bangs in the donut b/c the ends look really weird.

Phalaenopsis
May 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone : )

Phal- I let my hair air dry until it felt completely dry to the touch, then using a spray bottle I misted some water on the length a little bit. I flipped my head upside down and started rolling the sock from my ends all the way to the base while still upside down. I hope it works for you next time!

Thanks for the advice! Can't wait to try it again :)

annieangel149
May 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM
im just below shoulder so sock bun curls dont really work for me right now but i do love wearing a sock bun! i have my hair in one right now! i find them soooo comfortable ^_^

xoerincolleen
May 18th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Thought my hair is naturally curly, after a sock bun it gets all into big glamour locks. Does look kind of nice, but I would not do it on purpose.

"Big glamour locks" is what a sock bun does to me, too...would have been a great look in the 80s or 90s, haha. Everyone's pictures look great! I think it's my layers that make the curls so overly large and voluminous.

Skjønnhår
May 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Really want to try it as well some time! =D

Phalaenopsis
May 20th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Tried it again, but still a fail. It worked better though, thanks to the tips of Angeletti. I think I need to put my hair in two sockbuns, but now it's getting too much of a hassle for me. I wanted something easy and quick, and something that really wasn't in the way. I think I'd rather try a plain old bun on top of my head for waves.

Debra83
May 20th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Just a couple of questions for those of you who have tried this:

2. Did you have to experiment a bit to get it right? I tried for the first time last night (never had tried a sock bun until then), and I had some trouble getting the hair rolled right. This morning when I unrolled it it was so, SO frizzy!! And huge, like a big, tangled lion's mane. I'm talking Rosanna Roseanna Roseannadana (I'm probably dating myself with that reference :D).

I'd love to hear some feedback/tips. The curls in the video look so gorgeous!

I don't know if it is damaging (ponytail holder), I did this May 10/11 after watching the you tube video on the "secret sock bun" method, I did it damp so no frizzies...here's what happened in the morning:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=102607

Qadupae
May 20th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Totally subscribing to this thread ^_^ I can do sock buns fairly well, so this could be my no damage go-to method for curls ^_^