PDA

View Full Version : Why can't CO remove mineral oil?

Maria_L
May 3rd, 2011, 03:23 AM
I have a question about CO-wash. I have just began using miconazole for hair growth. Because I live in Sweden I have not been able to get a hold of monistat. Instead I have to use Daktar, which has mineral oil in. Usually I CO-wash my hair. But I have read that conditioner can't remove mineral oil, so now I've switched to a mild shampoo.

I'm just curious why I can't use conditioner to remove mineral oil. For me, conditioner is great for removing coconut oil or EVOO. The surfactants in the conditioner removes these oils, why not mineral oil? What's so special about mineral oil?

furnival
May 3rd, 2011, 04:25 AM
I've wondered this myself. I see no reason why mineral oil should behave any differently to other oils. I've found CO to be the best way to remove oils from my hair anyway. Why not try it and compare the results to the shampoo?

alwayssmiling
May 3rd, 2011, 04:32 AM
Hmmm I would like to know this too. I tend to avoid conditioners with mineral oil in them (a lot of the cheaper ones have them quite high up in the ingredients) as I notice that my hair gets greasier more quickly than using cone free/mineral oil free conditioners. But saying that I did daktarin last year and had no problems co-ing out everyday.

I would like to hear other peoples experiences with mineral oil and co-ing.

Mesmerise
May 3rd, 2011, 04:33 AM
I have a question about CO-wash. I have just began using miconazole for hair growth. Because I live in Sweden I have not been able to get a hold of monistat. Instead I have to use Daktar, which has mineral oil in. Usually I CO-wash my hair. But I have read that conditioner can't remove mineral oil, so now I've switched to a mild shampoo.

I'm just curious why I can't use conditioner to remove mineral oil. For me, conditioner is great for removing coconut oil or EVOO. The surfactants in the conditioner removes these oils, why not mineral oil? What's so special about mineral oil?

I think the best thing to do is try CO and see what happens! Even if it has mineral oil in it, the concentration may not be so high that you can't remove it with CO.

I will concur though, that if mineral oil is anything like petroleum jelly to remove from hair it is VERY VERY VERY VERY difficult to get out!! I put some in my hair yesterday and omg... it is still not 100% out lol.

Maria_L
May 3rd, 2011, 05:08 AM
I will concur though, that if mineral oil is anything like petroleum jelly to remove from hair it is VERY VERY VERY VERY difficult to get out!! I put some in my hair yesterday and omg... it is still not 100% out lol.

Maybe a silly newbie question: Why do you put petroleum jelly on your hair? What does that do?

CrystalStar
May 3rd, 2011, 05:14 AM
The weird thing is, I've personally found that CO DOES remove mineral oil. I've tried Daktarin (UK version of Monistat) which is known to contain mineral oils, and I have never once had a problem removing it.. Comes out like a charm everytime!

Mesmerise
May 3rd, 2011, 05:15 AM
Maybe a silly newbie question: Why do you put petroleum jelly on your hair? What does that do?

Oh, I was using it on a streak of hair to block henna ;) It was the best thing I could think of that would make hair completely impermeable to it!! Fortunately it was just on a relatively small section of hair lol. Otherwise, I wouldn't put it near my hair!

Anje
May 3rd, 2011, 07:37 AM
It removes mineral oil and petroleum jelly. The petroleum jelly is a little hard to get out, but lots of conditioner worked through, maybe a few times will take care of it.

The main reason we tend to avoid mineral oil is just that it doesn't absorb into hair at all. If it provides any benefit, it slows the movement of water in or out of hair.

jojo
May 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
If you can feel the mineral oil content in your hair then you may be using too much. Try diluting an inch in warm water and applying that way. I have mineral oil in my daktarin and have never had a problem, only the very roots should have the cream on not the hair. also applying to wet hair is much easier.

littlenvy
May 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Mineral oil is a very heavy oil so hard to remove in general but it should be able to be removed with CO. You may want to try a thicker CO maybe? and then follow up by clarifying shampoo just to make sure but it should come out just fine.

Maria_L
May 3rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Thank you! I'm going to go back to CO-washing and keep an eye open for any signs of buildup. My hair really don't like shmpoo, even the baby shampoo I'm using now so it will be very happy when I go back to conditioner again.

Buddaphlyy
May 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
CO can remove mineral oil but you should probably use a heavier conditioner since mineral oil is considered "heavy".

When I first cut off my damaged relaxed ends, I used a MO containing product to trap moisture into my hair. I co washed everyday with a cholesterol. My hair was very healthy.

christine1989
May 3rd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Personally I'm mystified when people on here say that conditioner alone can remove any oil. It takes a handful of SLS shampoo for me!