PDA

View Full Version : Visible scalp in updo's??

sweetestpoison
May 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hello all, Let me first start off by saying that i am new here and am proud to be a member, and have been using LHC's previously posted forums for answers to my hair related questions. I have one that i couldn't manage to find via searching though.. My question is:

Does anybody else have random spots of scalp visible when they brush their hair back?? It's nothing major like a bald spot, it almost looks like mini parts or something going back, is this simply because i do damp bunning? Or perhaps because i am using a wide tooth comb/fingers when i put my hair up, and not a brush?

If there is a previously existing forum about this please re-direct me, if not, pretty pretty pretty please voice your opinions on the subject.

It kinda looks like the visible scalp in the pic below (if it doesn't show up i apologize) but smaller, and the one in the pic is from the tension of the snake

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1018262969639.2003434.1017067745#!/photo.php?fbid=1694262989217&set=a.1018262969639.2003434.1017067745&type=1&theater

spidermom
May 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Sometimes I get scalp showing when I'm not careful about how I section braids. Otherwise, no - I don't get scalp cleavage. I don't know if it's because the hair on my head is too dense and thick or because I don't have a trained part.

Madora
May 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Yes, I have a small area on the back of my head, just to the right of the crown. The hair has thinned considerably and the scalp is visible..UNLESS I brush a few strands over the spot, which usually succeeds in camoflaging it perfectly. It sometimes takes a bit of experimenting to see how much hair you have to "bring over" the spot, but the results are well worth it!

GeoJ
May 2nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
I have a natural part that is sometimes visible in updos, unless I'm very careful to hide it. For me, damp bunning helps to avoid it, because I can then force the hair to dry in a position that hides it.

Sometimes I'll get lines of scalp showing if I do something like a French braid with oily hair. I don't think that would happen if my hair was thicker than it is.

Fairlight63
May 2nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
I also have the same problem, my hair wants to part in the back on the right, & makes me look like I have a bald spot. I usually put my hair in a half up with a barrette - that does a pretty good job of covering it, then I bun or braid the rest hanging down.

Madora
May 3rd, 2011, 01:05 AM
@Fairlight63...

You're a person after my own heart! I do the half up with a barrette too! Solves a multitude of problems! I try and keep the barrette small and near my own hair color so if I want to, I can hide it with my own hair when I braid or bun.

Using a barrette in a half up is also a hair friendly way to hold the hair in place, instead of holding it back too tightly with a ponytail holder. (Of course you can loosely ponytail it back, but I prefer the barrette because it gives you more control and is easier to remove or adjust).

sweetestpoison
May 3rd, 2011, 03:14 AM
I also have the same problem, my hair wants to part in the back on the right, & makes me look like I have a bald spot. I usually put my hair in a half up with a barrette - that does a pretty good job of covering it, then I bun or braid the rest hanging down.
Fairlight that is EXACTLY what is happening in mine :( oh well. It only does it if i have it in a lower "up-do" like a low bun or a braid, if i start from normal pony tail position it's not visible. I guess it's being covered. My theory is that my hair just grows in a weird direction in that spot, at least that's what it looks like in the double mirror. Thanks for the tip i'll have to try it :)

Fufu
May 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I have this too, could it be cowlick issue?

jojo
May 3rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
I don't but my daughter does, she also does a little half updo and then does a peacock twist with the rest; works well!

BabyRay33
May 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
I have a horrible cowlick on the back left part of my crown and in some photos WOW does it look like I have a bald spot. I also get hair headaches from that spot when I pull hair over it...

I haven't found a solution that covers it well, and doesn't give me the hair headache from the tension.

sweetestpoison
May 3rd, 2011, 08:20 PM
@BabyRay33 that is what's happening to me, like i said in my first reply i think it's just the way the hair grows in that area, because when i straighten it the spot isn't visible but if i leave it to dry natural it is.

@FuFu i think that might be it. I never actually even noticed it until a few weeks ago XD

It looks like it does in the picture, except not nearly as intense and only one of them. In this picture though the scalp cleavage is from where the snake wove his way through my hair and was pulling on it

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/[IMG]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/Tricia_Ann/190563_1694265149271_1017067745_31456733_8094814_n .jpghttp://forums.longhaircommunity.com/[IMG]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/Tricia_Ann/190563_1694265149271_1017067745_31456733_8094814_n .jpg