PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about lightening..

Lemur_Catta
May 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
I have been thinking about lightening my hair...I would like to reach a light brown color, and then henna over it to achieve a bright red that I would never otherwise obtain :D
Of course I am still thinking about it, and I won't forget the 2 weeks rule :D but in case I decide to go for it, I would like to get some advice...so I know what to expect...

Since it is something I will have to do every month to have the roots match the length, I don't want to try honey or cinnamon, it would be unpractical and it would take a lot of time to do multiple treatments every month. Besides, I would like a more noticeable result :D

I am planning on doing an overnight oiling with coconut oil prior to bleaching, and then add argan oil on top of the coconut, as I read in ktani's thread about coconut oil as a way to avoid peroxide damage.

Now, my question is...should I bleach with hydrogen peroxide + developer, or would peroxide alone lighten my hair enough? Some years ago I went light brown using 3% peroxide, but that was over a whole summer and many applications, and I don't want that.
Besides, I also want to strand test first, and I think it would be difficult to mix developer and peroxide in the right quantity without wasting any...

And whether I decide to use the developer or not, what peroxide should I use? I think 20vol + developer might be enough, but if I don't use developer and try 30vol? What would be more damaging?

I guess I am a bit confused...I don't want to go to an hairdresser because I couldn't afford to go every month anyway, and besides I don't want to explain what I want to do with coconut oil and henna to an hairdresser...most of them wouldn't understand, at least the ones around here.

Please help me :confused:

ETA: I forgot to add...my color now is just a little bit redder than the one in the picture. I did Lush Caca Noir in February, but it always fade a lot and red peeks through. That's another reason to strand test, I don't want my hair green :D