PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone have a Summer growth spurt?

Kristamommyx3
May 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
I've been hearing about this on some threads, and wondered if this is universal, or just that some people notice it to be true for them? I live in FL, so I will be looking forward to this, as I've never thought to check before. :D

florenonite
May 2nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
No, not everyone gets a summer growth spurt. I also believe it's more likely further north than somewhere like Florida; it's to do with the sun's angle in the sky, and further south that angle changes less between winter and summer.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Me - not particularly. I have faster growth late spring-summer-early fall, then it slows down for late fall-winter-early spring.

Kathie
May 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
I think my growth rate increased this summer. But I’m more busy over the summer and don’t pay as much attention to hair growth, so it might sneak up on me. Compared to winter where I’m hiding away from the cold with time to watch my hair grow :p

georgia_peach
May 2nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
My hair grows noticeably faster during Sept/Oct and again in March/April, but not so much in the summer.

Othala
May 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
I get a summer growth spurt but then that may be because I live in a temperate climate with a distinct winter during which my vitamin D levels get depleted. Then comes the summer sun and I get as much skin exposure as legally possible and the vitamin D in my system gets and almighty boost, which I hold responsible for the hair growth spurt along with the warmth.

owlathena
May 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I've never noticed. I'll be looking out for it this summer too.

Panth
May 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
I've heard some people on the forum say they get a winter growth spurt. Some get a summer one. Some don't get a seasonal growth change. I don't know if the winter/summer thing is related to being Southern/Northern hemisphere or not.

I haven't ever paid attention enough to know if I get one.

pepperminttea
May 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Some people have one, some people don't. It seems to be pot luck really. I got a mini-growth spurt in March; double my usual growth. Why March, I have no idea, but I'm certainly not going to complain. :p

racrane
May 2nd, 2011, 04:32 PM
I have never noticed my hair growth, especially since I used to trim so often. Now, I'm keeping careful track of it. I"m excited - a fun little experiment. :)

GeoJ
May 2nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
I have a graph of my annual growth, with the years I have been measuring all potted on it, and there is yet to be a discernible pattern indicating seasonal growth spurts for me. I don't have enough years on it yet, though.

Yasmine91
May 2nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Nah, I had a spurt in winter though :P

Gonne see if i get one though in the summer :3

jojo
May 2nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
My hair all but stops growing during summer, then I get a shed in September-October and then my growth speeds up from November to January! I still get the average 6" growth (trim 2") a year so it balances it self out!

alyanna
May 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Me! Me! This week my hair has had a growth spurt for sure! Yay!

I like the idea of a graph for hair growth ... hair geeks all y'all!

summerjade
May 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Well, I live in Mississippi and I definitely have a growth spurt in the summer months. My friends and I can't wait for summertime so we can get some growth every year. It has something to do with the stimulation of the hair follicles in the heat that makes the hair grow faster. I thought it was true with every one , but I guess not. I believe Florida would be a good place to be for a growth spurt, because it gets pretty hot there, so Kristamommy3, you should get some good growth. Watch and see what happens!! I hope you notice lots of growth!!

Kristamommyx3
May 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
My hair all but stops growing during summer, then I get a shed in September-October and then my growth speeds up from November to January! I still get the average 6" growth (trim 2") a year so it balances it self out!

Very interesting........ I guess we are all unique right down to our hair growth!

Kristamommyx3
May 2nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Well, I live in Mississippi and I definitely have a growth spurt in the summer months. My friends and I can't wait for summertime so we can get some growth every year. It has something to do with the stimulation of the hair follicles in the heat that makes the hair grow faster. I thought it was true with every one , but I guess not. I believe Florida would be a good place to be for a growth spurt, because it gets pretty hot there, so Kristamommy3, you should get some good growth. Watch and see what happens!! I hope you notice lots of growth!!

I'm feeling very optimistic!

jojo
May 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Very interesting........ I guess we are all unique right down to our hair growth!

I never really took much notice of my hair before, certainly never measured it but since joining here its the same every year but then again I don't live in a warm country (though we are having a lot of sun at the moment!) but our winters are a lot milder than I remember as a kid. The UK seasons have just got muddled up so maybe this is why. But quite a few of us get winter spurts, as long as you hair is growing, thats all what matters.:)

gthlvrmx
May 2nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
My hair just grows faster and thicker in the summer. I leave school with shoulder length, i come back with nearing BSL if i never cut it, which would be accomplished by october..but by Nov it slows down and in winter it grows less than 1/2 inch per month.

I have growth spurts between the season i think though :p

jenjen10
May 4th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I definitely tend to get a growth spurt in summer. Living in WI, I think it has to do with the fact that once it gets warm (sometime in May hopefully... still waiting this year!! LOL) we head outside as much as possible. I also am still a student so having less stress during the time off during the summer probably doesn't hurt either. :D

Fufu
May 4th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Summer all year round in Singapore.

If Singapore has winter, I wish I will have winter growth spurt.

Qadupae
May 4th, 2011, 04:34 AM
My spurt is kind of summer, more of late spring and early autumn though. That might just be because I avoid being outside too long in mid summer due to the high chance of sunburn ^_^

Francoise1606
May 4th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Last summer between the beginning of june and around the 25th og july my hair grew at least two inches. I usually have growth spurts in the summer, but that one was the biggest. Too bad I had to cut it off, because I was cutting off damage at that time. But I'm damage free now so no cutting for me this summer!

terpentyna
May 4th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Nope. I just shed in the spring -_-.

Muse
May 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM
For years I had a constant growth of 0.6 inches per month. No spurts for me.

At this time every month is a surprise how many growth i'll have. Maybe I will have a growspurt this summer. :o

PamelaViktoria
May 4th, 2011, 03:47 PM
my nails definately grow faster. I haven't measured my hair in years, just cut it to BS. Maybe I should...

Fadedbluedreams
May 9th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Well, I live in FL also. Last year, it seemed that I didn't grow much from April to August. September is when the speed picked up for me. So, I guess that's fall/winter growth spurt, but then again, maybe I was just in a stall phase. It'll be interesting to see what I grow this year, but I am not expecting much until Sept. :)

Angeletti
May 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM
No but it would be nice! It seems like my hair is growing slower than ever lately.

annieangel149
May 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM
my hair definetly grows faster when the warmer weather is here! Im in the UK! south east region and we have had some nice warm sunny days here recently! im oticing that my hair is growing better already so i have stopped the MN cream! yay for summer :D

ChatNoir
May 9th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Northern parts of Norway here, and yes. Growth spurts during summer is not that uncommon here due to the fact that we have a long dark winter, and suddenly summer arrives with its midnight sun and all :) So I definitely think it has something to do with where you live!

tgagurl27
May 10th, 2011, 04:44 AM
i notice a small change.. but then urv gotta be careful not to cause damage eg swimming and sun damage on hair etc

baaaad_kitty
May 10th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I never noticed if I had a summer growth spurt. But then, the weather here's pretty much summery all the time LOL

trolleypup
May 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
1/2 inch per month, year 'round.