PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying shampoo - saves my hair everytime

Fethenwen
May 2nd, 2011, 01:58 AM
I don't think I could live without clarifying shampoo, I have noticed it is impossible for me to have nice hair without it.

Last time I had build up it was so horrible I had the urge to just let my hair dread and just be done with it. And then I reached for my clarifying shampoo again and voilą!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2829&pictureid=101678

It is obviously taken with a flash, and I don't have a before picture, other than maybe this one which is my hair when it's coated and oily, combed:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2829&pictureid=98066

Yeah, the difference is HUGE. I could not even get my fingers through my hair before the using the shampoo, it was so tangly. But I'm always afraid to use my clarifying shampoo because I fear my hair would go really dry and get damaged from it. But so far it has done nothing but made my hair super soft and shiny.

No matter what, my hair starts to build-up stuff after a month or two with my regular routine.

I might use a bit too much leave in's (Fox's Sheabutter Conditioning Cream), henna might also cause build up among other things.
Two weeks ago I tried my old leave-in spray which contained silicone and my hair was quite a mess a few days after that. But still, no matter what I do I get tangly hair after a while.

Does anyone else's hair build up as easily as mine? :p I feel I can't do anything to it!

caiti42
May 2nd, 2011, 03:16 AM
lovely!

I've never had to bother clarifying before but lately I've had quite a greasy scalp. Not having clarifying shampoo I used Neutrogena T Gel Theroputic shampoo (I get dandruff when the weather changes) and it had the desired effect! I did a deep conditioner after because I know the Coal Tar is not good for your hair but its taken care of my grease problem without over drying!

I have since (yesterday) bought a sample clarifying shampoo from Toni and Guy that I plan to use.

I found switching from commercial shampoo and conditioner to salon branded that I get more of a build up from my cone leave ins. Probably switching from Lauryl to Laureth.

But i'll see how the clarifying shampoo goes! Hopefully I get as good as results as you!

Chetanlaiho
May 2nd, 2011, 05:22 AM
I really need to find a good claryfing shampoo sometime xD I stopped using cones but haven't clarified because I'm afraid of the damage that'll start showing ^^;

But either it's already starting to show or it it's splitting like crazy so I may need to bite the bullet :/

lara grace
May 2nd, 2011, 05:28 AM
That is such a difference, it looks so soft and shiny now! What clarifying shampoo did you use?

alwayssmiling
May 2nd, 2011, 06:15 AM
My hair has been ever so tangly and a bit dry looking the last few days. I've been moisturising like mad but decided to take your advice this morning and clarify. And Voila...just as you said. Silky tangle free hair.

pepperminttea
May 2nd, 2011, 06:30 AM
I can't live without it either, it's really helpful with build-up. Our hairtypes are quite similar too; maybe it's a wavy-ish fine-ish thing? :)

Sunny_side_up
May 2nd, 2011, 07:27 AM
Your hair has beautiful shine and looks healthy :thumbsup:
I have build up from coconut oil. I use SLS free shampoo to wash;) So when i do clarify its a bicarb soda rinse.(every couple months) I think it does a great job on my hair. Two/three teaspoons is sufficient for me. Last week i was listening to my workmate talk about how fed up she is with her hair.
She straightens regularly and has been leaving it unstraightened more and more. She has lovely bouncy loose curls aproaching BSL but she cant pull a brush through her hair, its texture is like after you have been swimming in the sea for a day.

She uses straightening balms and hairspray alot. I asked if she clarifys. She didn't kno what it was so i said either look for a clarifying shampoo or use the bicarb rinse. I'll see her soon and get an update on her hair:D

racrane
May 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
I need to clarify as well. My fine blond hair builds up fast and I don't use anything but shampoo and conditioner. However, I realize pollution from the city and natural dirt flying around contributes to the hair. I clarify and it's pretty again. :) It's an awesome thing!

Fethenwen
May 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
That is such a difference, it looks so soft and shiny now! What clarifying shampoo did you use?
Thanks! I use Goldwell Dualsenses Scalp Regulation. I think it's also a chelating shampoo because it has the ingredient Disodium EDTA.

I can't live without it either, it's really helpful with build-up. Our hairtypes are quite similar too; maybe it's a wavy-ish fine-ish thing? :)
Maybe that might be it :)

KatiSasha
May 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
I found my hair behaves better after I clarify it too, once about every 3 weeks or so. Only I use the shampoo on the length only, where the buildup seems to be. I used it on my scalp once and had a dandruff city until I CO washed again :(

Silver Strands
May 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I have to clarify mine very well if I use an SMT.
It must be the honey.
No matter how well I rinse, I get this grippy, grabby feeling in the bottom 2-3 inches.

I have only done an SMT twice since coming here.
The first time was when my hair was above APL so the ends were new and undamaged.
The other time was a few days ago-my signature picture and avatar are the result.
Beautiful, shiny hair.
But the bottom few inches- again, icky.

I pull out the Aloe Rid and viola!
Silky loveliness again.

Another odd thing- I hardly ever get build up from cones.
I guess it will remain one of the mysteries of my life.