PDA

View Full Version : Pixie to Bob

xcrunr2go
May 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
Anybody else going from a pixie to bob? It takes awhile! I'm patiently waiting for the day I can take that all-one-length photo of the oh so cute bob hairstyle. I'm thinking of doing the inverted bob first, then moving to a bob....:pegasus: hhmm decisions decisions.........

kwaniesiam
May 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM
The front and crown takes the longest to grow out in order to have a bob. You'll end up trimming the back several times to avoid the dreaded mullet effect, but once you get there it's smooth sailing from there. A bob is fairly easy to grow out even if it looks awkward at times. I'm currently trying to grow out a buzzcut, I've got less than an inch all over.

christine1989
May 1st, 2011, 10:49 PM
Its been a while but when I did the pixie-bob transition I grew the pixie out a little and turned it into a graduated bob until it got long enough to chop into a one length bob at my chin. As I remember it was a pretty painless transition and got rid of that akward grown out pixie stage.

2peasinapod
May 1st, 2011, 10:59 PM
Oh yes, that's by far the worst growing stage! It's either mullet city or Laura Bush. I grew for as long as I could stand, then had the back trimmed up. It was still a bit uneven, but the waves blended nicely. The sooner I could put it up, the better.

Although it's painful and awkward, once you get to bob length, it only gets better from there! :)

NouvelleNymphe2
May 1st, 2011, 11:04 PM
I am growing from pixie to bob! I thought I would chop once all my hair got past chin, but now that I'm pretty much there I can't sacrifice all of that healthy length (hehe an inch or two I know:rolleyes:)! It starts at around bob and end at almost shoulder. I like bobs on me too, they're cute. I just couldn't let go of all that hard work, and I'm just going to let it grow until it needs a trim and then micro trim. I plan to trim every 6 months, but if it doesn't need it I could wait all year. Happy growing to everyone! It has been soooo hard growing from pixie, for me the middling stage between pixie and chin was just terrible to try and style and feel pretty. Now that I'm at chin or longer I feel much better about my hair. :)

NouvelleNymphe2
May 1st, 2011, 11:06 PM
It's either mullet city or Laura Bush.

lol!! true that

oktobergoud
May 1st, 2011, 11:32 PM
I'm growing out from a pixie to a bob! I've got a major chop a month ago so it will take a while before I get there.. but still.. sigh..

Neneka
May 2nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
I am too going from pixie to bob. I would be so happy with a bob right now. It will probably take a year to get there and I don't want to think how long I have to wait until it gets to a ponytail... Luckily my hair is all virgin now and at least I like my colour.

I have grown out some pixies earlier and this really is the worst growing stage.

pastel_cloud
May 2nd, 2011, 03:34 AM
Me! I've had to trim it so many times. I wish there was a way to disguise a mullet. I might put the scissors away and just cover it with a bandana.

nazzooyzo
May 2nd, 2011, 03:40 AM
yeah i am dong it. my hair is nearly all one length now as i have been trimming the back (can't deal with that mullet look!) i started growing last august and am now at chin length

alwayssmiling
May 2nd, 2011, 04:02 AM
Me! I've had to trim it so many times. I wish there was a way to disguise a mullet. I might put the scissors away and just cover it with a bandana.

Yeah thats a great idea. I hid my mulletty stage by scraping hair back with a head band. The nice bit of that stage is that I got to experiment with lots of pretty accessories.

I've come to the conclusion that to grow hair out successfully you have to find a way to enjoy every stage. Six months - a year is a long time to have an awkward stage so its best to find a way of styling it that makes you feel good about yourself.

xcrunr2go
May 2nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I enjoyed all the progress pics. Just living proof that hair grows....grow long & stong fellow LHC follwers....see you when we get there......& during all the awkward phases too......:cool:

Leena7
May 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
I am not currently in the process of growing from a pixie to a bob, but a couple of years ago I was and that was what led me to lhc in the first place. You can check out my pictures if you want to see how it looked as it grew out. I've actually made the journey twice now since the time I was 17. The first time I got many trims to avoid the mullet look. I started growing it out in November of 2007 and by May/June 2008 I had a short chin length bob. The second time I wanted my hair to grow out faster to I barely trimmed at all. I will say that although I had awkward stages in hindsight the no-trim route suited me better because my hair did gain length faster and that was ultimately what I wanted.

xcrunr2go
May 2nd, 2011, 09:05 AM
PROGRESS PIX:

NOV. 2010:

http://img641.imageshack.us/i/facelessw.jpg/

MAY 2011:

http://img843.imageshack.us/i/blahhr.jpg/

:redgrin:

LuXious
May 2nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
I suggest not trimming at all until the front is past your chin, and don't do it yourself. Get it done by a professional you know you can trust-- someone recommended to you by someone with good hair. Just pay the money once and spend the next few months not having to notice places you got uneven and chopping them. Exactly one year ago today, I had just gone from almost-bob directly back to pixie because it was pouring rain outside (the Nashville 500-year flood) and I was stuck inside... with my scissors and razor comb. I just wanted to give the bob a little more shape. BIG mistake.

To deal with the mullet, you can take it into two sections (or several sections) twist them and clip them up like little buns. It's waaay cute. Gets lots of compliments, which you need to get you through the awkward stage.

It's raining in Nashville again on the one-year anniversary, and my hair is now just a month or two shy of shoulder length. Once you get past chin-length, it's SUCH a relief. It's like being out of the woods. Good luck!

breeanna92
May 4th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I just cut mine to a pixie a month ago and i think im just going to go with the fashion mullet. lol no cutting, but i still have a little bleach left, from where i cut it so i think when it gets to a reasonalbe length i cut off the dead ends.

Mesmerise
May 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
The first time I grew out a pixie, I kept cutting the back and never had the mullet look, and while the whole process was frustrating, I persevered through it.

The next time, I sort of didn't trim it back as much, but when the back was long enough I would twist it up and clip it. I don't remember it ever looking too mulletty either, and I think that's because of the natural curl/wave which in me seems a lot more obvious when it's shorter and especially layered (I think maybe my hair is also curlier since having kids... in fact... I suspect this quite a bit now I think about it! The first pixie I grew out was pre-kids and the other was post-kids).

However, even then I ended up cutting it all to a bob when it was long enough, rather than microtrimming.

Writing this reminds me why I do NOT want to shave it all off and start again, no matter how frustrating it is!

kielrain
May 4th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Oh, yes. This is where I am. I have cut the back off twice, I think. Now, all I can say is headbands and barrettes are my friends. *I can't wait to get all my lengths past chin.*

Ermine
May 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I'm growing out my hair from a pixie to a bob with the hopes of BSL in a couple years. Slowly but surely... At least in a couple weeks I'll be due for a trim in the back! :)

oktobergoud
May 5th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I'm going to keep the back trimmed (my mom used to be a hairdresser so she will cut it for me :)) and let the front just grow! The mullet is soo ugly and makes me hate my hair, therefor makes me want to cut it all off again! So de-mulletizing it is!
Thinking of using bandana's in summer also! But I can't wear them at work...

WaimeaWahine
May 5th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I took off a good foot of hair several months ago for work. It was optional not mandatory but made things easier.

Totally hate it. Nice not having thin limp straight hair. (Trust me when I say it only appears thick.) Not nice that now every day is a bad hair day. It dries and sticks out in all directions. Can't wait to grow it all out. Bobs are so cute on some people but I really miss having a long pony tail.

oktobergoud
May 7th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I have gotten through this process before and I went from this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7331&pictureid=102198
to this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7331&pictureid=96771 in like 6/7 months!
hair grows so much faster than we think, I guess :) Hopefully my hair is that long again half a year or so!

Pumpkin
May 7th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Oh, I remember this stage...I hated what I looked like...:)

oktobergoud
May 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
It does seem to take forever, doesn't it? :x

vanillabones
May 7th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I'm stuck in it. I think I'm almost there even though I don't like bobs so I tried skipping the chin bob and I'm trying to get it to a full shoulder length bob if you can even call that a bob, just even at shoulders for Jan 2012

I can't wait until my hair is all at shoulders I'll feel so much better.
No trims this summer for me, hopefully it will grow :pray:

vanillabones
May 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm going to keep the back trimmed (my mom used to be a hairdresser so she will cut it for me :)) and let the front just grow! The mullet is soo ugly and makes me hate my hair, therefor makes me want to cut it all off again! So de-mulletizing it is!
Thinking of using bandana's in summer also! But I can't wear them at work...

My mom used to be one too so I have her trim mine :) so glad those 10 seconds of her evening it out saves me like $25 bucks, sheesh! I used to always clip my mullet up but it's hard when it's all evened out so Idk what to do now either. I think at any length you can do a half up though. :o

HairFaerie
May 16th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I am growing pixie to bob.

I was very apprehensive to this mainly because everyone where I live has a bob and I hate to be "part of the crowd". But, I think growing from pixie to bob will help alleviate that dreaded "mullety" stage and will also help me feel like I have a style rather than my hair just growing out and hanging there.

Yesterday, my son cut the back of my hair straight across at about ear level. This is the point where I want all of my layers to grow out to, so I will have it cut periodically so all of the layers will reach that point.

Once most of my hair is at chin length, then I will grow it to shoulder, BSL, and onward.

I hope this plan works for me...I know there will be some frustrating periods when I will be tempted to cut to pixie again. I am hoping the transition from pixie to bob will help cut down on those periods!

bunzfan
May 16th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Thats how i grow my hair long, it took a while though for the back to catch up with the sides but, once its in a bob its so much easier to grow out.

NouvelleNymphe2
May 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM
A couple of days ago I almost chopped my hair to an even bob. I'm at nape and I was just down about all of the layers and how much they thin out my fine hair. However, I'm SO GLAD I didn't!! My hair is very healthy, and I will just be patient and let it grow for now. I have layers starting at the tip of my earlobe and going all the way to the longest part of my hair. I also have fairly chunky bangs. So ideally I want my hair all one length, which means even the bangs need to be even/grown out entirely too. Had I chopped to a chin length bob I would have lost ton of length :( and still wouldn't have been all even. So again, I'm glad I didn't. Like I've said before I think I'll be hanging out at shoulder for awhile. I want my bangs and all layers gone in 1 year. :) then my hair will be a solid 3'' thickness, and it will be all even and I can grow from there!! Oh a girl can dream. :)

HairFaerie
May 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Here is the current length of my hair. May 17, 2011

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7453&pictureid=102975

I am not happy with how it looks on me, I actually like the shorter, blonde pixie better. This stage isn't flattering on me at all, in my opinion, but I have to get through it in order to get to chin length bob! AGH!

Also, I loved the blonde but it was really getting to be a pain to maintain! When the roots would grow in, I would use the same color and everything but it never seemed to match! Also, it was causing horrendous dry, brittle ends. After I colored it brownish red the other day, it feels a lot less dry and actually feels like soft hair instead of straw!

allmixedup88
May 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM
It took me over 1 yr and under 2 yrs to get from pixie to bob (with a lot of set backs & i mean a lot)... I wanted a simple cute bob like Katie Holmes had,but the lady cut it like Victoria Bekham, Rhianna? LOL tbh the bob was the hardest style to keep in control, lol

HairFaerie
May 16th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I am a little apprehensive because as my hair gets longer, a wave pattern starts to develop and I don't know if that will look nice as a bob.

oktobergoud
May 16th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Here is the current length of my hair. May 17, 2011

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7453&pictureid=102975

I am not happy with how it looks on me, I actually like the shorter, blonde pixie better. This stage isn't flattering on me at all, in my opinion, but I have to get through it in order to get to chin length bob! AGH!

Also, I loved the blonde but it was really getting to be a pain to maintain! When the roots would grow in, I would use the same color and everything but it never seemed to match! Also, it was causing horrendous dry, brittle ends. After I colored it brownish red the other day, it feels a lot less dry and actually feels like soft hair instead of straw!

Woah your hair sure grew fast!! :o

Also, I feel your pain. I've been growing my hair out from a blonde (platinum, actually!) pixie, and it was sooo dry and brittle. Even though I haven't bleached my hair for half a year, I'm still having some damage. I even had a major chop AGAIN like 6 weeks ago... so I have to start all over again, sigh. I have dyed my hair reddish brown as well, with henna!

So I think we're a bit in the same boat, although your hair seems to be so much longer already! :)

jujube
May 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
What I actually liked about this stage (I've officially moved on to the Chin to shoulder phase), is that when your hair is shorter you notice its growth more. Of course the mullet phase is a choice to make : get a one-length bob, or grow in a shag.

Kumiko033
May 17th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I had to have a pixie cause my former haircut was ruined by a black-dye mistake, all the curly and life got sucked out of my hair!

So I took the Emma Watson pixie-cut since..Febrary 24th.

and now I've already gained 2 inches, the only problem I have is that now when more length is coming my curls are coming back again which makes it look shorter then it is.

I'm planning to do a small chop in August/September and a few copper blond streaks or I'll stick to henna

When I was younger [ about 10 ] it was so much easier growing this out! I had bob shoulder length in about a year and a half, I wasn't thinking about it! Now I grab a mirror everyday to see if it has grown :cheese:

Anyone going crazy aswell :( ?

CrystalStar
May 17th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I've grown out a pixie before, but with regular trims of the back and shape-ups of the hair in general you can transition pretty smoothly! :)

It will only take 6 months toa year to grow out! :D

templeofvenus
May 17th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I am now tring to grow from bob to shoulder and that is a bit of a pain at times lol -have done pixie to bob before it took 18 months with no trims till I got there!

Kumiko033
May 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I am now tring to grow from bob to shoulder and that is a bit of a pain at times lol -have done pixie to bob before it took 18 months with no trims till I got there!

Woa, 18 month's?! Not to be rude or offensive but how come it took this long ?

shawty
May 17th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I just got there yesterday! it was a long, very hard road. one month i managed to increase my growth to twice as fast using diet and sulfur treatments in addition to my usual vitamins. but i didn't have the resources to do that every month; if I did I would have been at this point in no time... there's a pic in my album:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6079&pictureid=103081

but i'm not done. i'd like to keep growing. best of luck to everyone! =)

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I went through this in 2005 after a cropped bob sort of thing; not exactly pixie but i totally understand how hard this part of growing is. For me i refused to trim until I could put it all up in a pony without clips. It took me 2 years but once you hit shoulder it becomes so much easier. Lots of smt's will help keep it soft and moisturised and help with the poof. Trust me it gets a lot better, just stick at it, your all doing really well!

ifthemoonsmiled
May 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I'm bumping this thread so I can add myself to the list of people growing from pixie to bob. I always kind of like this growth stage, and tend to go through it at least once a year. It'll be the later ones that are harder for me to get through...

Right now, my pixie's getting pretty shaggy. I'm really glad to be past the stage where I have to shave the little weird patch at the very bottom of my nape. (Anyone know what I mean? My friends call them "neckburns"--like sideburns on the neck. They look very untidy if your hair is very short.)

I can't wait to be able to pull my hair into a (barely) ponytail!

HairFaerie
May 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM
So....when can hair be officially called a bob?
I know for sure what a pixie is, but when does it turn into a bob?
I consider mine a short bob right now, is that correct?

Neneka
May 29th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I think it's bob when you could cut all in one length. Not sure though..

jaine
May 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I consider a haircut to be a bob when both of the following are true:
A) hemline is approximately straight across (pieces that hang down in the front are approximately the same length or longer compared to the back.)
B) it's between jaw length and shoulder length

It may or may not have bangs. It may or may not have layers. It may or may not be wispy at the hemline. But the hemline is still in a relatively straight line with the front as long as the back or longer.

ifthemoonsmiled
May 29th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I consider it a bob when I don't have to trim the back anymore to avoid a mullet-y look. To me, this first stage is really about the length becoming more even than the hair appearing much longer.

oktobergoud
May 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I'm bumping this thread so I can add myself to the list of people growing from pixie to bob. I always kind of like this growth stage, and tend to go through it at least once a year. It'll be the later ones that are harder for me to get through...

Right now, my pixie's getting pretty shaggy. I'm really glad to be past the stage where I have to shave the little weird patch at the very bottom of my nape. (Anyone know what I mean? My friends call them "neckburns"--like sideburns on the neck. They look very untidy if your hair is very short.)

I can't wait to be able to pull my hair into a (barely) ponytail!

Yes NECKBURNS! (lol) I have them too, like, an awful lot of them.. as in, so much hair on my neckburns! :P Even with a bob I still have to shave it D:

Neneka
May 29th, 2011, 12:26 PM
My SO has neckburns! I cut his hair and I always shave them away because he wants me to. AAh.. I wish I had his hair anyway! It's curly and it grows so fast!

boomtownrat
May 29th, 2011, 08:15 PM
One month ago as of tomorrow, I finished the pixie to bob stage (I took my avatar photo that day). My hair was cut into a pixie eight months ago today, so it took seven months to get there with one de-mulletizing trim in between. It seemed like it took much longer because I was obsessed with it 99% of that time, but I know saying that isn't going to prevent anyone else from being just as preoccupied with their own growth rate. :) Now that it's no longer a shapeless shag, I'm not concerned with the growth so much because I'm not going for any specific length... just somewhere past shoulder.

spidermom
May 29th, 2011, 08:19 PM
With sort of a rounded square face, bobs are hideous on me, so I hate that style. I went from pixie to short layers to longer layers and finally got the lengths caught up somewhere around BSL.

ifthemoonsmiled
May 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Hey Spidermom, how did you accomplish the short layers you are talking about? Did you just let a layered pixie grow out, or did you cut a certain way to make it look layered? I don't have a good face for blunt bobs either, but I feel like when I just let the pixie grow on its own, it goes through so many awkward stages. I'd love to know how you dealt with it.

I have a couple questions for you guys:

1. How how how do you keep from trimming? It's so hard for me when my hair starts to grow out. Today I found myself snipping off the weird little corners sticking out behind my ears without even thinking about it. Any styling tricks or hair accessories you use to ease you through the transition instead?

2. I feel like there must be an answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it. How do you measure a pixie cut? The technique described on this board for measuring longer hair doesn't seem like it works right.

HairFaerie
May 30th, 2011, 12:49 PM
With sort of a rounded square face, bobs are hideous on me, so I hate that style. I went from pixie to short layers to longer layers and finally got the lengths caught up somewhere around BSL.

I think I am going to take this route too.

I am not fond of bobs on me. To me, they make my neck look like a turtle!

I am going to leave the layers that I have now & just let it grow from here. I did one cut of about 3/4" to get rid of the mullet, but I am not going to do a full bob.

Ermine
May 31st, 2011, 08:01 AM
1. How how how do you keep from trimming? It's so hard for me when my hair starts to grow out. Today I found myself snipping off the weird little corners sticking out behind my ears without even thinking about it. Any styling tricks or hair accessories you use to ease you through the transition instead?

2. I feel like there must be an answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it. How do you measure a pixie cut? The technique described on this board for measuring longer hair doesn't seem like it works right.

For trimming, it really depends on what kind of slightly longer hairstyle you're going for. I'm personally going for a blunt jaw length bob, and I can tell you what I'm doing in the mean time. I just keep trimming the back every month or so (now more like 2 weeks since I've been using Monistat) so it stops looking like a mullet. Anything but a mullet... For the hair around my ears, I'm keeping the "sideburns" trimmed to the bottom of my ears so my hair still looks like a pixie cut of sorts until all my hair is grown out to my ears. I find that headbands are really helpful for letting my hair grow over my ears. With the headbands, I just tuck the hair that's growing over my ears behind my ears. Everything but the "sideburns". Out of sight, out of mind. :)

As for measuring, I don't know the official answer either. But for the sake of checking on progress, I look at how much my hair has grown over my ears, how long my bangs are getting, or just measure a strand from the crown of my head. For LHC, I use the measurement from the crown. Once that grows out to my desired length, everything else will be there as well.

Neneka
February 7th, 2012, 01:04 AM
I think my hair has finally reached a bob length! It's still a bit short and has some shorter hairs but I am still calling it a bob. It wont get mullet-y anymore and I think I am not going to trim or cut it much before shoulder. This took me 10 months! Here is some pictures:

I went from this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7561&pictureid=100630

To this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7561&pictureid=125876

chou
February 7th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Congratulations on your growth, Neneka! That's a lot of progress. Your bob looks very cute :)

I just recently hit what I consider to be a solid bob after 10 months of growth and three trims. It was INSANE how long it took the hair at my temples to catch up to the hair at the back. I kept brushing shoulder in the back but my hair in the front would only be at my ears or jaw. I had to do 3+ inches of trims on the back over the course of my growing and now it's finally mostly even and thick in the front, hitting just below my chin. Of course, in pictures from the back it looks like I've gained no length since August. But getting from a pixie to a wearable bob was really important to me. I want a blunt hemline eventually anyway, and I want to enjoy my hair as much as possible in the meantime.
I really do hope that it's smooth sailing from here! It's been frustrating to have so many setbacks in length just to get to this point.

EDIT: Re: neckburns, discussed on the previous page, this is kind of embarassing but mine are so unruly and dark that I get them and the rest of my neck waxed at my local salon. This is a service generally done on men, lol. I highly recommend it for anyone who is hairy of the neck! Painless and cheap.

LissaJane
February 7th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joining in on the pixie to bob adventure :D

Mairéad
February 7th, 2012, 01:01 PM
My hair just kind of "ignored" chin length and start speeding straight to shoulder.

Neneka
February 8th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Congratulations on your growth, Neneka! That's a lot of progress. Your bob looks very cute :)

Thank you. :)

Johan
February 10th, 2012, 06:06 AM
My wife went from a pixie to a bob, and then she cut it short again in a pixie. She prefers it that way.

skeletonous
September 20th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Pretty much there, just waiting to get the mullet-y part cut off. I have about an inch to go before the sides hit jawlength, where the mullet already is (both unstretched). I was going to just wait it out and not cut off the mullet but I'm going to have to cut it anyway so I have no more chunky layers. Hopefully it'll only take a month or two at most.

terryn
September 20th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Skeletonous! We meet again! I feel like you and I are starting to become growth buddies.

I'm not really sure where to call my length right now, I'm growing out an asymmetrical pixie. The shortest part of my hair is about 2in, the longest part is just starting to scrape the top of my jaw. I've taken to bobby pining the longer part away from my face. It helps to disguise the half-mullet I have happening and keeps it from poking me in the face all the time, since it's still to short to tuck behind my ear on it's own. I don't know if I am going to really hit chin length, or just sort of flutter around it while things work their way into evening up. I'm definitely at that point where i desperately wish I could just put it up and forget about it! This is the second time I have gone through this particular grow out process. The last time, I got it trimmed regularly because I had a serious fear of the mullet. This time, I'm keeping trims to a minimum, every 6 months, in hopes of just pushing through it as fast as possible. But, the last time, as soon as it could go up, it did. And suddenly I was at APL. It's magical how well forgetting about it seems to encourage your hair to grow!

skeletonous
September 20th, 2014, 03:55 PM
^ Yay growth buddies! :D good luck! I also can't wait to be able to put it up, but I think I'd rather have my layers gone first so I don't feel like I have to put a bandana over it or make sure my waves are intact to make it look decent. Sure I can do tiny pigtails and almost a tiny ponytail, but with so little to go into them I don't like to do that much anyway.

Tabamnoc
September 20th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I'd like to join in :) I recently chopped from almost bsl to pixie to try to get virgin hair back...1 more trim and that goal will at least have been met!

terryn
September 20th, 2014, 07:35 PM
^ Yay growth buddies! :D good luck! I also can't wait to be able to put it up, but I think I'd rather have my layers gone first so I don't feel like I have to put a bandana over it or make sure my waves are intact to make it look decent. Sure I can do tiny pigtails and almost a tiny ponytail, but with so little to go into them I don't like to do that much anyway.

And good luck to you as well!

I will always have layers, they just work better for me, as well as bangs and some shape around the face. I prefer messy boho-like updos, so I don't mind if things are a little wild and unkempt. I'm hoping that things will just slowly shape up as I get it trimmed, rather than having to wait longer for everything to catch up. I'm thinking of bumping my goal up to waist, but even if I do decide to grow longer, I won't maintain any one length until I am at BSL and therefore able to do most of the things I would want to with my hair. As well as being able to cut it myself!

I know what you mean about the pony-nubs. They are not my favorite look either. I could do a side one, but it's mainly the crown hair that goes into it, so it looks really weird! I've been dreaming a lot recently about sleep hair (that seems like a very LHC thing to say...) but one of my main issues with my hair is how limp and flat it is. It's just so straight. I have never used heat products on my hair, but I love the idea of dampening it, throwing it into a bun on the very top of my head and waking up with beachy waves and volume at the roots. So, I managed to squeeze it into a bitsy bantu knot the other day before I took a nap. Volume I got! But, it was too curly to blend with all of the hair that could not go into the knot. :( One day tho!

terryn
September 20th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Welcome Tabamnoc! And good luck!

skeletonous
September 20th, 2014, 08:02 PM
And good luck to you as well!

I will always have layers, they just work better for me, as well as bangs and some shape around the face. I prefer messy boho-like updos, so I don't mind if things are a little wild and unkempt. I'm hoping that things will just slowly shape up as I get it trimmed, rather than having to wait longer for everything to catch up. I'm thinking of bumping my goal up to waist, but even if I do decide to grow longer, I won't maintain any one length until I am at BSL and therefore able to do most of the things I would want to with my hair. As well as being able to cut it myself!

I know what you mean about the pony-nubs. They are not my favorite look either. I could do a side one, but it's mainly the crown hair that goes into it, so it looks really weird! I've been dreaming a lot recently about sleep hair (that seems like a very LHC thing to say...) but one of my main issues with my hair is how limp and flat it is. It's just so straight. I have never used heat products on my hair, but I love the idea of dampening it, throwing it into a bun on the very top of my head and waking up with beachy waves and volume at the roots. So, I managed to squeeze it into a bitsy bantu knot the other day before I took a nap. Volume I got! But, it was too curly to blend with all of the hair that could not go into the knot. :( One day tho!

I get what you're saying :) I'm sure things will shape up very well! I used to English braid my hair before bed so I could get beachy waves, but back then I wasn't as practiced with french braiding. I'm sure that would have given more volume at the roots. Maybe making a braided bun would make the waves even more defined? One day we'll be able to try it out! :o

jfg1987
September 28th, 2014, 12:43 PM
This is my first post ever!

After having a very short pixie cut for 6 years I've decided to just let it grow. My hair grows ridiculously fast (and I HATED this, I need it more than ever now!), I had to have hair cuts every 6-8 weeks just to keep it a pixie, at $35 a cut I feel that I've spent enough to try maintaining it at this point. My hair was at BSL before it was cut to pixie so I guess I'm going to try and get back there, but my short term goal is a bob length. I don't intend to get any trims until the shortest hair gets to my shoulder, that includes the mullet. My last hair cut was 7/3/14, so far I have almost 3" of new growth and I can now use the 1.5" flat iron without getting my fingers caught in it! I've been taking pictures each month too.