PDA

View Full Version : Does hair thicken before it grows long?

Brenda714
May 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM
I don't know, my hair seems forever stuck at shoulder length. It's been 5 months since it was cut. Does it thicken up first? I am frustrated that it's not growing. I'm taking vitamins and taking good care of it. My pictures are not recent, I had to chop due to chemical damage. I also sometimes wear clip in hair extensions that helps, but I want my own hair back! Please help with encouragement and why it doesn't seem to grow. Thanks for reading!!!:)

xcrunr2go
May 1st, 2011, 09:47 PM
I don't know, my hair seems forever stuck at shoulder length. It's been 5 months since it was cut. Does it thicken up first? I am frustrated that it's not growing. I'm taking vitamins and taking good care of it. My pictures are not recent, I had to chop due to chemical damage. I also sometimes wear clip in hair extensions that helps, but I want my own hair back! Please help with encouragement and why it doesn't seem to grow. Thanks for reading!!!:)

Hi there wavy one! The thing with wavy/curly hair is that it seems to take longer to grow, when in fact it's growing but the curls take up some horizontal space. :cool: Try more scalp massages, & kick up your exercise routine a notch or 2. Also, how much of your hair is processed?

Brenda714
May 1st, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hello xcrunr2go! Thanks, I will do more on my treadmill. I do an hour of cardio at a level 7 and 3 miles per hour. Whew, I work up a sweat for sure. I will try the scalp massages also. Yes, you are very right that I have very wavy hair. I had a perm and then straightened it. I was a complete idiot doing that. So a lot of that has grown out, BUT I have had breakage and could be a part of it. It's not all breaking off, just some.

2peasinapod
May 1st, 2011, 10:33 PM
My hair sure does! I couldn't really put it up until around APL because it was simply wider than it was long. From shoulder to APL, my hair didn't seem like it was growing to me. I could see some growth in the pictures, but it never felt like it was growing.

You sound like you're at an in between length. Just keep taking your vitamins (they really help) and taking care of your hair. I'm sure it will be lovely! :flower:

gthlvrmx
May 1st, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hair grows no matter what you do, i am sure it is :) I'm a curly head, so it seems to take longer on me (though i am quite used to it), but in fact it has grown three inches already since my last trim. Don't give up! It takes time and sometimes growth isn't quite so even! I know mine isn't, it grows less than 1/2 in Dec, but over an inch per month usually in the summer :)
So look forward for the hot months! And usually damaged hair takes longer to go back to normal, doesn't it? I know perming does. My friend straightened his hair every day and then permed it twice, even if it did grow fast, it's not as strong as it was before and breaks off more. He, of course, doesn't care for it, but you do :)
You're doing a good job, keep at it and don't give up!

Sanyia
May 1st, 2011, 11:16 PM
It's the curls! From shoulders to BSL seemed forever...

dulce
May 2nd, 2011, 12:20 AM
if you pull your curls straight with a finger,you should see length-1 also have curly hair and it seemed stuck just past collarbone for what seemed forever, ,it was growing but the curls hid it [spring factor]till it had grown enough for the extra weight to pull the length down and 1 could see the growth easier-be careful of hair extensions they can damage hair-also avoid stuff[flat irons,perms,colours,too much hot blow frying ,hot curling irons etc.] that could cause further breakeage which will slow growth-try to keep it all to a minimum-
by following the long hair forum guidelines for good care 1 have been able to increase my growth from my old 1/2 inch per month to about 1 full inch-it does work-

julliams
May 2nd, 2011, 01:01 AM
I have a friend who says the same thing as you, that she cannot grow past her shoulders. Although you have had not had a trim in 5 months - what was your trim pattern before that? If you trimmed 4 times a year you would have just cut off all your growth right there.

Try leaving your hair for another few months with no trimming. You could get about 3 inches this way and this would take you down to APL. Of course if your growth rate is slower, it's going to take longer to achieve the same amount. I agree about the curls - they do eat up length especially if your bottom layer is the curliest and is getting tighter curls as it grows. For me, I'm lucky in that my bottom layer is straight so I have had the benefit of a long length with curls on the top of that.

Finding out your growth rate is going to help you alot. I take a photo of my progress against a stripey shirt each month - same shirt, same position. It has really helped me to accurately predict how long it will take to get from one milestone to the next.

I think you will find that your hair is in fact growing, it's just either at a slower pace, or being eaten up by curl length.